[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Zed Dilemma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: UK-Union-Flag.png (24 KB, 440x280) Image search: [Google]
UK-Union-Flag.png
24 KB, 440x280
Why do the English and Canadians pronounce Z (zee) as zed?

Are Zebras ZEDbras?

Is a Zoo a ZEDoo?

How about when you electrocute someone - is that ZEDapping someone?

The English may have created the language, but clearly the Americans have saved it.
>>
Sure anon, and we pronounce 'hotel' as 'eichotel' and porcupine as 'peeorcupine'

fucking yanks
>>
>>71625313
>Why do the English and Canadians pronounce Z (zee) as zed?
I was raised in two separate english colonies, I've always used zee. It even follows the song.
>q r x y and z, now I know my abcs next time wont you sing with me
>>
>>71625610
Do Aussies use the zed?
>>
>>71625313
This is one of those issues that only 5 yr olds find controversial. All the letters of the alphabet have names we don't use too often. Alpha Bet. Digamma. How is a double-G the same thing as an F? Figure it out.
>>
>>71626645
Yeah but why tho
>>
>>71626352
I think zed is pretty common here.
I think it really just depends on the sentence, like I said in the song it's always zee but NZ is en zed, en zee sounds retarded. Maybe the more American sentences are pronounced with "zee".
>>
File: americans.png (228 KB, 834x580) Image search: [Google]
americans.png
228 KB, 834x580
>>71625313
Why are yanks so stupid and smelly?

pic related is the reason why.
>>
Because its the letter's name not it's pronunciation. By your logic we should call zoos 'ZEEoos'. Same way we don't start words begining with 's' like it's name; 'ess'.
>>
>>71625313
some vowels like "E" have different pronunciations in different words.
this is basic english.
you are retarded.
>>
>>71625313
To stop confusion between letters
E
B
C
D
G

Zed is easier to make out then zee because zee sounds like so many other letters.
>>
>Dilemma
>>
>>71627885
But "e" is always pronounced "e" when you refer to the letter itself, and it's a based on how it typically sounds in words that make use of it.

I can't think of a single word that would make more sense with "ZED" than "ZEE".
>>
>>71628468
But its the letter's name. It doesnt matter what you call it. We call 'h' 'eich' or sometimes 'heich'; not HEE. Doesnt effect the letter's use.
>>
>>71628468
If you're talking purely about the pronouncation of the letters name then its because its derived from the greek name zeta. Americans are the odd ones out actually.

Your main problem is you don't seem to understand the difference between the pronunciation of a letters name and the pronunciation of the latter in words.

>It's not just the British that pronounce “z” as “zed”. The vast majority of the English speaking world does this. The primary exception, of course, is in the United States where “z” is pronounced “zee”. The British and others pronounce “z”, “zed”, owing to the origin of the letter “z”, the Greek letter “Zeta”.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.