[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intelligence:Innate or Acquired?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 8
File: activebrain.jpg (34 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
activebrain.jpg
34 KB, 600x450
Post your opinion, Is Intelligence innate or can it be gained? Is it given by Genetics or is it environment based, /pol/?
>>
>>71581853
30% genetic, 70% environmental, Einstein was smarter than his parents
>>
>>71581853
Your potential intelligence is genetic, however the environment has a huge impact of the flow of development. So even if your family has a history of high IQs, a shitty stressful childhood environment could result in stunted development
>>
You can train your brain to be more logical-thinking to get better at IQ test if thats what you asking.
>>
I was once told that siblings tend to have about the same IQ. I got a look at the government-issued tests, and that turned out to be true.
>>
>>71582108
What is genetic recombination?

It's .5-.9 heriditary and .5-.1 other factors.

Same person (tested twice) .95
Identical twins—Reared together .86
Identical twins—Reared apart .76
Fraternal twins—Reared together .55
Fraternal twins—Reared apart .35
Biological siblings—Reared together .47
Biological siblings—Reared apart .24
Unrelated children—Reared together—Children .28
Unrelated children—Reared together—Adults .04
Cousins .15
Parent-child—Living together .42
Parent-child—Living apart .22
Adoptive parent–child—Living together .19[60]

THREAD OVER.
>>
>>71582108
>the einstein meme
>take your tricks somewhere else

he was not a genius
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 300x250
>>71583439
>a fucking leaf
>>
>>71583583
*ahem*
>>
>>71581853
>>71582108

If you want to talk about genetics you need to talk about change between generations, so what matters is not the set IQ of an individual, but the development of his bloodline overtime.
This can be measured with net worth growth, or other statistics.

Genetics make it or break it. The enviromental aspects only affect HOW much it develops.
If someone studies more than others then he will be more inteligent. If he slacks then he doesn't.
>>
>>71583140
This is why early education matters. If you don't raise your children properly, they won't develop as much as they could.

>>71583216
Is there any study or source you can provide? because if this is true, then it can set once and for all that IQ is effectively Genetic
>>
>>71583240

>Identical twins—Reared apart .76
>Biological siblings—Reared together .47

And then you've got:
>Unrelated children—Reared together—Children .28
>Unrelated children—Reared together—Adults .04

Looks like environment matters a lot less than genes.
>>
>>71584071
>study or source you can provide
No, just something that apparently was a going meme among the scientific community of the day. I didn't get to freely review the files. I was just surprised at how close the numbers were for the ones I was shown, and these were a couple of standard deviations out there. I don't even really know if the testing methodology is valid, but it was wacky.

My personal opinion is that IQ is no single measure of intelligence, but there does seem to be a reasonable correlation. And I don't think there would be so much of a focus on proving it one way or the other if smart people didn't by and large notice a correlation.
>>
Nature has a role but nurture plays a bigger part for a vast majority of the population.

Problem is when your nature and nurture are both shit, you're basically fucked.
>>
>>71581853
Why are you asking /pol/ they berate psycology, yet accept IQ

Google nature vs nurture
>>
>>71581853
Intelligence is just your ability to learn. Sure you can be a complete tard and teach yourself quantum theory, but not many people actually bother to make an effort, let alone anything advanced/not well known. As for the genetic part, if your parents are geniuses, you'll more likely be a genius than some poorfag with tard parents, but the poorfag can still become more of a genius than any richfag with 160 iq parents
>>
>>71584601
Because asking /b/ is scary.
>>
Gotta go with genetic. I married a dipshit and have triplets. One is smart and the other 2 are retarded like my wife. Been like that since day 1.
>>
>>71581853

The current consensus is somewhere between 45-75% genetic. Genes also play a very important role in intelligence however, since they affect a variety of traits that determine overall intelligence (ie: memory and cognitive ability).

Environment essentially builds upon what you got in the genetic lottery. As the saying goes; you can teach a genius, but you cannot teach genius.
>>
File: flan.gif (166 KB, 384x509) Image search: [Google]
flan.gif
166 KB, 384x509
>>71581853
Both.
>>
>>71584970
I don't think there is anywhere in 4chan to ask about psychology. You cannot ask /sci/
>>
>>71585111
lol. appreciate your honesty.
>>
>>71581853
It's definitely environment based. Really people need to just think more.
>>
File: both.png (88 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
both.png
88 KB, 260x260
>>71581853
>>
>>71585182
>The current consensus is somewhere between 45-75% genetic
>consensus

oy vey, dat is how we do scinces, get everyone to have a guess then average them

moron

it's more like 80% genetic
>>
File: 18smhbx1pvip8jpg.jpg (34 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
18smhbx1pvip8jpg.jpg
34 KB, 636x358
>>71581853
Both.
>>
>>71581853
Another key factor is motivation to learn imo. It could be a derivative of environment, in certain cases. Or even an index of mental health (which is important too when considering the "end result" of intelligence). So again, as all things, it's a combination of factors that produce a certain result if placed well together. I normally see myself as some sort of retard not because I'm mentally handicapped, but because I'm incapable of interaction and only function when dealing with a single subject I've had a fixation with my whole life. Am I stupid when I do things in that field? No, I can think logically and produce a result. Am I generally incapable of doing anything else and lack adaptability and mind flexibility? Yes, which adds to my overall intelligence and capabilities as an individual. So I'm fairly retarded because I'm unable to function and think straight in most aspects of life. Although my IQ is pretty high, I'm still an idiot.
>>
>>71581853
Almost entirely genetic. Not 100%. But very close.

Anyone here arguing that intelligence isn't substansially genetic, is likely average themselves
>>
>>71585472
In my personal opinion, there is little more important than being raised properly in a good family. Whatever the innate talents might be, that seems to be the common denominator, among people I've met, for whether or not that potential is developed.
>>
>>71581853
Both, just like nature/nurture.
>>
Both, you can teach yourself to be a genius or have parents who have been very smart as well. If you look at the major planetary discoveries many people were not actually scientist just regular people with other profession but they studied astronomy and discovered many things. The ability to learn is up to the person to out himself out and see the boundaries of their own knowledge, people lack enthusiasm, motivation, curiosity and confidence. Everyone has a potential in them if you think you don't have what it takes to be someone or at least try you are a burden for society and should be not given any social help just because you feel "insecure". There's so much a person can take that is understandable but fuck lazy people deserve nothing at all.
>>
>>71581853
about 90% genetic
>>
Intelligence is like a sword.
Genetics determines how much steel you have to work with.
Environment determines how well made it is.
>>
>>71585669
Yeah it's definitely about how one is raised but I genuinely think most people can increase their intelligence just by thinking... I mean that's what intelligence really is.. critical thinking.
>>
>>71585847
And you decide how best to use it.
>>
>>71585826
This.

It really is almost entirely genetic.
>>
I'm half black half white. Almost certainly smarter than everyone in this thread.

It's the cross activation of my "I'm better then you genes". You mad?
>>
>>71581853

Largely innate, but there's an element of chance and cultivation.
>>
>>71585847
It's like a seed too. The size and shape of the tree that it will grow into is predetermined. However, pruning, nutrition and sunlight will all determine how much of its potential will be reached.
>>
>>71581853
20% genetic, 80% environmental

unless you were born mentally retarded or a genius you can be slightly more or slightly less intelligent but the way you were raised, educated and whatnot will have much more effect
>>
>>71585988
>half black
>certainly smarter than ....

Literally scientifically impossible. I don't need to tell you why that is....
>>
>>71583439

ok, who IS a genius, because if einstein wasnt' a genius I'm not sure many classify as one
>>
>>71585988
What makes you smarter than everyone here?
>>
>>71581853
60% genetic 40% environment at 6 year old
80% genetic 20% environment at 60 year old i think
>>
>>71586378
He's not, obviously ..
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/features/2007/created_equal/liberalcreationism.html
>>
>>71586254
> What the proposition "almost".

You can work this out senpai.
>>
My iq is 150, slightly higher than my father's and slightly lower than my mothers. I don't believe it measures my intelligence all too accurately though.
>>
>>71585526

For the record I agree with you - I'd maybe put that number even higher myself, but I'm just stating what the general consensus among researchers is. My personal opinion is that genetics sets the baseline potential for intelligence, and environment simply determines how much of that potential is realised.
>>
>>71586254
>>71586604
it's impossible for a nigger to be smarter than you? You really think so
>>
>>71581853
>>71581853
so is anyone gonna post an actual research or what ?
>>
>>71587030
Sorry, not Jewish enough to care. As, for instance, in the case of DNA. Or eugenics. Or transhumanism.
>>
>>71587010
I doubt it, but if you have sufficient evidence I'm all ears.
>>
>>71587134
Melvin Williams is a nigger and he has an IQ of 163. There was a niglet with an IQ around that range discovered a few years back
>>
>>71586701
You're doing my work for me fellow. A couple more posts like this and we can just go ahead and bump the genetic percentage to 100.
>>
>>71587259
so what?

even assuming that you are correct, no one claims that all blacks are stupid, only 88% are below the White average
>>
>>71587259
You mean the melvin Williams who trafficked heroin?
>>
>>71587010
There's a few, sure. But my IQ is 160, so there's not many.

t. read the fucking bell curve, idiots
>>
>>71581853
>mom and dad are intelligent
>My siblings and I are also intelligent
Genes help a lot m8.
>>
>>71587489
Doubt that your iq is that high... online tests don't count bud
>>
>>71587324
Great point! I think I'm going to concede. Many gut base pairings. You're the brightest.
>>
>>71587926
Don't you think it has something to do with how your raised?
>>
>>71587379
>only 88% are below the White average
in your country black students outdo white students
>>71587489
assuming that's true fair enough
>>
>>71586511

Close, but not quite there yet.
At adulthood, it's 80% genetic, 20% in variance in prenatal development, and 0% environment.

Environment plays no role in intelligence.
>>
>>71588034
Probably, but it's not like I got a super rigorous education or anything. I certainly could have been challenged much more growing up. I'm inclined to think everyone has some some ceiling somewhere that's determined genetically. I've met people smarter than me, and it's easy to tell they just have more raw brainpower.
>>
>>71581853jokes on you both my parents are doctors and i'm an autistic neet who shitpost on an anonymous Libyan camel swapping forum
>>
>>71588138
>in your country black students outdo white students
were you trying to refute my point?
>>
>>71588368
Education for the most part involves memorizing information. Unless you're in a math class where everyone is learnign shit for the first time and some kid becomes master it much more easily and quicker than anyone else, people aren't necessarily smarter than you.
>>
>>71581853
According to the data collected during this project:

http://ibg.colorado.edu/cap/

There is zero correlation between nurture and intelligence. Intellictual capacity appears to be completely biologic in nature.
>>
>>71589104
It's wrong. My father isn't too smart and my mom definitely isn't (they know this). Yet i'm pretty fucking intelligent. I'm telling you it has to do with how much one has thought about deep subjects.
>>
>>71589088
Oh I'm well aware. I was never the type that had to study a lot to do well well or anything, but I've met people that are better than me when it comes to learning and understanding.
>>
>>71589278
>It's wrong
Not according to the data that's been collected over the last 40+ years.
i don't doubt you are more intelligent than you parents, but according to the data, biology is the reason why.
>>
>>71581853

question for pol, would you rather have a big dick and avg intellect, or big brain and avg dick. no race implications for this question.
>>
>>71589278

just by this comment i knwo youre dog tier iq
>>
>>71589400
But they can't actually see that genetics leads to intelligence. There's so many things that could be leading to those results. It could just be that the intelligent parents raised their kids in a more intelligent way thus the kid was guided to think and question more leading to a higher intelligence
>>
>>71589872
If I had dog tier IQ I wouldn't be ahead of the curve
>>
>>71581853
neuronerd here,
it's a whole lot of both. If this is the way you're thinking you probably don't have enough intelligence to have a serious grasp of intelligence.
>>
>>71589895
>It could just be that the intelligent parents raised their kids in a more intelligent way
The colorado adoption project tracked thousands of kids- some adopted, some raised by there biological parents, from all economic backgrounds, for 40+ years. The adopted children showed no improvement in intellegence over the control group in any economic bracket.
In other words, nignogs raised in the ghetto have roughly the same intellectual capacity and nignogs adopted and raised in an upper middle class white home and vice versa. There is zero corellation between nurture and intellegence at this point. The only other possible corellation is biology.
>>
>>71588138
While the patternof ethnic gaps differ somewhat across age groups, and some gaps have narrowed over time,broadly speaking the attainment of Black Caribbean, Black African, Black Other, Pakistaniand Bangladeshi groups is below that of their White British peers, while Chinese, Indian and Irish pupils score higher than White British (DfES, 2006, p39).Why do these ethnic achievement gaps exist?

No, the black students don't outperform the native English in England. The Chinese, Irish, and Indian do however. That's because those 3 groups have higher IQs than the English.
>>
>>71584071
How can that prove its genetic, they're siblings so one would assume they grow up in the same environment to...
>>
Ok, ok. So why are niggers so retarded? Genetics?
>>
>>71590355
Measuring intelligence is not necessarily accurate though. Also there are many other factors that can have an effect.
>>
>>71590630
>Measuring intelligence is not necessarily accurate though.
Why are you grasping for straws?
Did the data hurt your feelings?
Would it surprise you to learn that, according to the data, there is corellation between adopted childrens personality and nurture?
However, according to the data, there is ZERO corellation betweem intelligence and nurture.
>>
>>71581853
Intelligence is a tough thing to measure and quantify, but if we're talking about IQ solely from what I understand socioeconomic conditions have significant influence up to a point. But after a minimum standard of care is reached genetics have much more of an influence.
>>
>>71590355
>>71590823
Could you link a specific study? They have a lot of studies out and I'm too lazy to sort through them all.
>>
>>71589895
if only therre was a study of adopted individuals of different races

oh, there is, the minnesota transracial adoption study

>>71590425
>The Chinese, Irish, and Indian do however. That's because those 3 groups have higher IQs than the English.
haha, maybe the ones who get to england do, but not in general aprt from the chinks
>>
>>71581853
Genes are where it is at. Thats why niggers will always be niggers. The left will have to admit this in the end.
>>
>>71591157
if they could admit things, they wouldn't be lefties
>>
>>71581853
It's both
>>
Surely, genetics exercise an influence. However, intelligence ultimately arises from upbringing and individuals' choices.
>>
>>71591135
>the minnesota transracial adoption study
Yeah but the interracial and black children in that study did score much higher than the average for their race despite still being below whites. It would at least seem to indicate there is some hope.
>>
>>71590823
Are you just so convinced to believe whatever you read? Statistics can be tricky man and this is only one study done in one area. I'm not grasping for straws there are literally so many other variables that go into something like this. Any study involving a long period of time with cases with children growing up can be very very susceptible to false data.
>>
>>71581853
>Is it given by Genetics or is it environment based, /pol/?

both, there is a genetic component but environment is more important, a pregnant woman with a high protein diet is guaranteed to have a more intelligent child, the results are inherited though so many generations of low protein diets for pregnant women will result in low intelligence children which has been a component of rule for a very long time, you starve your serf classes, don't kill the king's deer etc
>>
>>71591604
So your argument is
>fuck the data, muh feelums tell me otherwise
???
Holy shit, I'm out.
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 550x522) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 550x522
>>71591135
The Irish do. Not only do they outscore the Englsh in their own country, but they top the English in all major international test scores. They also top England in Per capita GDP, crime stats, family structure, etc.
>>
>>71591976
is this data based only on natives? or are shitskins included too?
>>
>>71591135
http://www.academia.edu/2629869/The_White_British-Black_Caribbean_achievement_gap_tests_tiers_and_teacher_expectations
>>
>>71592165
if you want me to read your shit, you'd be better including a sentence or two about what was found(or supposedly found), or what you are attempting to prove
>>
>>71589602
Big dick average brain + lots of motivation

You can be a fucking genius but if you're lazy you won't be shit
>>
>>71591976
Holy shit, based Mongolia with his brothers.
>>
>>71591883
No not my feelings, my knowledge of statistics and to not trust everything. you realize statistical studies aren't always solid proof, right? Plus there are soooooooooooo many examples of intelligent people born in stupid households.
>>
>>71592407
It's not "my shit". I typed "black academic performance in England" into google to try to prove that native Limeys don't underperform blacks (like that anon said). This academic paper was the fourth or fifth link. I was actually trying to prove something positive about the English.

I'm sorry that the Irish are smarter than you guys. As if it wasn't enough that the Irish could beat the shit out of you....now I find out they can kick the shit out of you intellectually too.

Kek.
>>
File: 1461051546289.jpg (37 KB, 546x470) Image search: [Google]
1461051546289.jpg
37 KB, 546x470
>>71585988
>Almost certainly smarter than everyone in this thread
>>
>>71590425
>>71588138
Human intelligence up to 75% inheritible
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

Human intelligence is highly heritable.
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v16/n10/abs/mp201185a.html

Scientific consensus is that IQ tests are not racially biased.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289608000305

Very poor Whites are comparably intelligent to very wealthy blacks.
http://www.jbhe.com/features/49_college_admissions-test.html

Privately, intelligence experts hold more hereditarian views than they express in public.
http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1994egalitarianfiction.pdf

Black children raised in White households have similar IQs to black children in black households.
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1977-07996-001

The average African IQ is estimated at 79.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886912003741

The average African-American IQ is 85, compared to the average White IQ of 100.
http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf

The white-black gap in SAT scores, a proxy for IQ, is increasing.
http://www.jbhe.com/features/49_college_admissions-test.html

Genes for large brains, linked to high IQ, are common everywhere except Africa.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB115040765329081636

Intelligence has at least a 40-50% genetic basis.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/10/news/la-heb-genetic-study-intelligence-20110809

IQ scores are the best predictor of success in Western society.
http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/PPPL1.pdf

IQ is 75% heritable among Whites.
http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/PPPL1.pdf
>>
>>71581853
Stupid fuck. Intelligence is inate. Knowledge is acquired.
>>
>>71585988
Nigger see
>>71593786
>>
>>71594156
BASED FUCKING MEXIBRO
>>
Something like 60% genetics 40% upbringing

Environment has absolutely nothing to do regarding intelligence. The intelligence is being drastically augmented before a child hits it's teens, so it is actually a question of upbringing and parenting, not an environmental (I.e. Schools and whatever) one.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 576x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 576x608
>>71594156
You will be on the right side of the wall someday Jose
>>
>>71583439
shut the fuck up you fucking faggot
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.