[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How wrong/right is this? >quick calculation >21.8 BIL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3
File: WALMART.jpg (889 KB, 3014x2304) Image search: [Google]
WALMART.jpg
889 KB, 3014x2304
How wrong/right is this?

>quick calculation
>21.8 BILLION dollars a year in wages, based upon 34 hour week, 52 week year, 1.4 million US employees
>37.1 BILLION with 15 an hour
>net income after tax is 14.7 BILLION
>15.3 billion in wage difference from 9 dollars an hour to 15 dollars an hour is 15.3 BILLION
>so Walmart has a net income of -0.6 BILLION with 15 dollar an hour wage adjustment

>sources
https://www.google.dk/search?q=walmart+average+wage&oq=walmart+average&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.2127j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart

Minimum wage discussion thread in the US.
>>
>>71531100
>shopping at Walmart
I don't know if you've ever been but it's a shithole that deserves to fail.
>>
Six members of the Walton family have more wealth than 150 million Americans combined.

FUCK WAL MART. I'm sick of subsidizing their bottom line.
>>
>>71531483
>Six members of the Walton family have more wealth than 150 million Americans combined.
This is irrelevant.

>FUCK WAL MART. I'm sick of subsidizing their bottom line.
THIS is a great point, however. The tax payer shouldn't have to subsidize companies through food stamp and welfare programs.
>>
>>71531100
absolutely degenerate
>>
>>71531100
Meh I'd rather fix the car dealership problem than Wally world. We should be able to buy direct. Fucking lobbyists
>>
>>71531579

As a non-burger, I completely understand your hate for Walmart.

I was trying to say that with 15 dollar minimum wage, how can companies like Walmart, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc, exist?

The hike in wages would shatter their profit margins, which means firing workers and automating processes.

So in the end, very few would benefit from a minimum wage rise.

>HIS is a great point, however. The tax payer shouldn't have to subsidize companies through food stamp and welfare programs.

Yeah, but if all these workers loses their jobs, they'll be getting benefits anyway, right?
>>
>>71531376
butthurt employee pls
>>
It just seems like a lose-lose scenario to me.
>>
>>71531100
If I ran a business and could more or less double my worker's pay without significantly effecting my bottom line or prices I would do it. I would then infer that Walmart could not raise wages to $15/hr from $9/hr without either taking massive losses, cutting their workforce, or raising prices.

The company cannot exist for very long if it doesn't make a profit, cutting their labor force would benefit those who kept their jobs but those who did not would have a 100% pay deduction, and people only shop at Walmart because it is the low cost provider so raising prices would just send the customers shop elsewhere.
>>
>>71531100
>make minimum wage
>minimum wage increased to 15 an hour
>laid off
>economy rekt due to all the new gibs people sign up for
Fuck off.

>>71532134
He's right you know. My tiny town has a Wall Mart and everyone shops there but I avoid it like the plague because all the prairie niggers shop there. I'm a single dude who doesn't eat much so I spend a little extra to go shop at the local place. They've been convenient since I was just a little lad. Plus I buy my guns and ammo there.
>>
>>71531100
it wont matter to walmart, they will just mark up their prices in response, if minimum wage doubles, they will triple their prices

small businesses will have to do the same

and when they do wallyworld will decrease it from 3x down to 2.5x (never will balance back to 2x) and will claim the market

the small businesses wont be able to compete with the initial cost increase in paying their employees and many will fold

and once again the working class will be hit harder with more poor and a gap that increases once more from the haves and have nots

liberals will whine and scream "wage gap" and will demand another increase in minimum wage without addressing the surplus in people wanting work and the lack of jobs available from smaller business

and the cycle will continue until the only businesses left are the biggest and there is effectively the peasants and the oligarchs

when will liberals learn
>>
>>71531483
These people need to be subsidizing their real CAREERS with a part time gig at Walmart.
>>
>>71531483
This. I don't think 15 dollars is necessary but they should actually pay their people more, I'm sick of my taxes going to their employees welfare
>>
>>71531100
is your point of view bankrupt? (bankrupt like fatty trump) or do you lie to cover some evil intent?

walmart's employees do not make minimum wage acrossed the board but i bet you get sub minimum to come here and shill. your math is as poor as trump's moral character.
>>
>>71531579
>The tax payer shouldn't have to subsidize companies through food stamp and welfare programs.

The government does not subsidize the company it subsidizes retards who make shitty life choices and have 9 kids while making minimum wage.

What leftist and faggots are pushing for is NOT a minimum wage but a wage where idiots who push shopping carts can support a family, this of course will lead to MASSIVE unemployment and MORE people getting other people's money.
>>
>>71532107
Hypothetically if we eliminated the benefits, companies would have to pay workers more.
>>
>>71532107
labor cost at a mcdonalds is like 17% and we are talking about bumping that a mere fraction so if EVERYONE was minimum wage and went to 15 it would still be like 22% labor cost which is below the average labor cost of a Wendys or more "fancy" place like a del taco.
>>
>>71532444
no, actually, walmart workers qualify for federal poorperson benefits and walmart doesnt provide any

all tax payers pay for walmart.
>>
>>71532420
why would they, there's no competition in the business to have to compete with other prices, they always have a surplus of people wanting work with the influx of mexicans and an increase in the poor population.

They dont need to increase the wage when you can just fire them when they demand a wage increase and replace them with another cog that will be more accepting of the wage
>>
>>71532621
Maybe if they actually went through with their promise to pay employees more they would have less turnover, best employees would stay and move up instead of costing them more in hiring and training new people who have no idea wtf they are doing.
>>
>>71532545
So a x2 increase in minimum wage will only increase labor costs by some 30% and not 100%?
>>
>>71532621
actually, mexicans are mass self deporting at a rate of 1 mill per year since baby bush tanked the economy
>>
>>71531100
I didnt know walmart employees got taxed nearly 50% of their income.
>>
>>71532545 If you think it's possible for a company like McDonalds or walmart to give their employees a 30-40% raise while while costing them less money to do it, you should put together a testable plan and if it succeeds schedule a meeting with some execs. I'm sure they would gladly pay you millions for the system.
>>
>>71532426

Well, that post made no sense.

>>71532545

Interesting.
>>
>>71532803
why would they want them to move up, there are already people desperate to keep their job in an environment where there are so few jobs, of course they wouldnt want to have them move up when they can potentially take their jobs

do you honestly think it takes a lot of money to train someone to use a fucking register?

Yet it somehow cost less to have someone move up and be trained at the new job, AND HAVE to retrain a person that is replacing them in the position they moved up from?

Come on, its easier and cheaper to train someone to use a register or organize groceries than it is to train someone moving up and having to replace him.
>>
>>71533089

Corporate tax is the US is absurdly high, hence why tax-inversions are/were so popular.
>>
Completely unrelated to minimum wage, but:

>2016
>Not being invested in Walmart

It is one of the best long-term stocks to hold on to, plus it always pays dividends.
>>
>>71532107
>I was trying to say that with 15 dollar minimum wage, how can companies like Walmart, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc, exist?

They raise their prices

>The tax payer shouldn't have to subsidize companies through food stamp and welfare programs

They raise their prices again. Those burdens would get shifted right back to the consumer.
>>
>>71533561
I am perfectly happy to pay a fair price for what I consume, but if all of it gets shifted to the consumer, they will lose a lot of their customers. Why do people shop at Walmart to begin with?
>>
>>71533912

If the minimum wage goes up, then those consumers are making more money too. It's all relative, and will probably balance out.
>>
It's wrong. Financials are split across all divisions and you're applying them to only US workers. Investors aren't given that info. You can't really reach a conclusion without knowing the us operating divisions' financials alone. Also there is no employee expense on publicly available information. You can't tell what their average wage is. So no metrics are right = this is garbage
>>
>>71533243
Walmart is going to get crushed by Amazon you fool.
>>
wal-mart is a great company to work for:
• shitload of benefits
• time-and-a-half overtime
• holiday pay
• constant pressure to not do nefarious shit because everyone already thinks they're the devil
• they'll hire literally anyone, someone i grew up with (high-school dropout) is like vice-manager or something now

t. WMIDF
>>
>>71534112

There's no holiday pay anymore, they switched over to a Paid Time Off system.

But I can attest to the "hire literally anyone" point. As long as you answer the questions in the interview, you're pretty much hired.
>>
obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr5oWfoWRY
>>
>>71532947
Correct. Keep in mind mcDs doesn't pay 100% of their employees min wage. The more skilled and/or higher up in management the better pay. Only ur front end unskilled labor makes min wage. So you aren't bumping wages for everyone.
>>
>>71531100

I doubt very much that all of Walmart's employees are full-time workers who are in every single week of the year
>>
>>71534112
Don't they also teach their workers how to scam the gubermint to get welfare benefits on top of having a job so they can pay their employees less?
>>
>>71534112

What is special about holiday and 1.5x?
>>
>>71531100
>21.8 BILLION dollars a year in wages, based upon 34 hour week, 52 week year
Absolute bullshit, they won't hire you for anywhere near fulltime and have been caught using underage labor and forcing employees to work overtime unpaid
>>
>>71531100
I've decided that I have no fucking idea how USA works and so I don't debate if they should increase the minimum wage. It's a job for Americans to do.
>>
>>71531100
On the topic of places like Wal-Mart, I've got a relative high in the ranks that tells me they are avidly trying to fire white peeps just to bump up black ones. No denying it now folks, there is now corporate cucking, all in the name of looking politically sound.
>>
>>71534874

What's "relatively high in the ranks?"
>>
>>71532341
>if minimum wage doubles, they will triple their prices
Pure and unadulterated bullshit.
>>
>>71531100
>Dumb trump supporter math

You are failing to account for the increase in Walmart's profits due to the wage increase.

Higher wages=More disposable income for workers.

The workers will be spending more of that disposable income at Walmart, thus greatly increasing its profit.

Also, paying workers more will increase productivity leading to more sales and greater efficiency.
>>
>>71531100
what was it like before wal-mart?
>>
>>71535211

You had to go to 3 or 4 different stores when you went out to run errands, rather than a single store
>>
>>71531100
0,6 billion is how much Wal-Mart would have to recoup by raising prices. Which is nothing over all Wal-Marts. Raise the min wage to 15
>>
File: 25799518_9435b9104b_o.jpg (176 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
25799518_9435b9104b_o.jpg
176 KB, 1024x768
>>71535281
>2016
>Physically going to stores
>>
>>71531100
Everyone pay needs to be adjusted

everyone on the corporate leadership team makes 6 figures or more

store managers make 100k a year

the guy bust his ass unloading merchandise out of 100 degree trucks gets 9
>>
>>71535130

Walmart workers get a 10% discount card after 6 months of employment, so that has to be put into consideration as well. Not to mention price matching and shit like that.

I work as an hourly supervisor at Walmart; let's say they raise the minimum wage to $15 (my current wage), what would happen to me senpai?

Legit question, I'm stupid. Otherwise I wouldn't be working at kekmart.
>>
>>71535130
>paying workers more will increase productivity leading to more sales and greater efficiency

[ ?!? ]
>>
>>71535281
So now you make it zero stores and beat them.

If we don't get hit with a financial reset, Amazon is about to take the shit over
>>
>>71535593

I'm pretty sure Walmart's base customer isn't exactly tech savvy
>>
>>71535307

Yeah, fair enough, but the shareholders will have to kiss goodbye to multi-billion profit margins that they have now.
>>
>>71535738
fuck em

they'll survive
>>
>>71535130
Paying workers more will increase efficiency? Wow, I'm seriously loling at u right now.

I hope you're trolling you little shit. People do what they are incentivized to do. Raise the hourly pay of these cretins, and at best watch them turn a 15 minute task into a 20 minute one.
>>
>>71531941
This is NEVER discussed
>>
>>71531100

That's an interesting analysis. But it's forgetting that the net profits for a massive company like that don't really mess with its valuation. It'll always exist and make money for its investors so raising the minimum wage would, as others have pointed out, decrease the welfare burden on taxpayers who are currently subsidizing a legion of low income employees.
>>
>>71531100
Inflation will skyrocket too meet new income demands. Wages will increase with equal or less buying power, and Wal-Mart's reserved liquid will drop in value.
Loselose
>>
>>71535130
>higher minimum wage means higher profits
It's not that simple but higher profit would be part of the math. Walmart would definitely lose a lot of profits with a higher wage, even with more spenders.
>>
>>71532420
Why not just eliminate welfare?
>>
>>71534018
If the minimum wage increases, it will balance out, but to what end? The law of supply and demand indicates that if the supply of something increases, the demand decreases.

No one fundamentally cares how many dollars they have, it is their time they care about. If one hours worth of work stocking shelves at Walmart is enough to buy a pizza, I don't care if it costs $10 or $1000, those are just numbers.

So if minimum wage is increased to $15/hr what does it matter? One hour of stocking shelves is just as productive as it was at $10/hr. If the department manager was making $15/hr before the increase, is his work suddenly less productive? He would be logically justified in seeking a raise to $22.50, a 50% increase.

I guess it would be good for those making minimum wage for 6 months or so, but prices would evntually readjust to reflect the increased supply of dollars. The production value of time is the only thing that matters. Increasing the minimum wage is like putting a bandaid on a tumor.
>>
>>71531100
>based upon 34 hour week, 52 week year, 1.4 million US employees

Implying Walmart gives its employees 34 hour work weeks.
>>
>>71535855
Which is kinda funny considering "car salesman" has been a pejorative for greedy, untrustworthy merchant men since forever.
>>
>>71531941

What's the markup cars get via dealerships? How much would a car cost if we were to buy direct?
>>
>>71535130

I used to work at Wal-mart, Me and my crew were made to do pretty much every job the store had. Unloading the trucks, stocking the merchandise, pulling down stock that associates in the Grocery section should have handled.

We put 150% in and they likely continue to do so. It was never enough, we got bitched at every single day for the tiniest things. This will change nothing within the workforce.
>>
File: 1459078878520.png (81 KB, 668x621) Image search: [Google]
1459078878520.png
81 KB, 668x621
>>71535903
So the taxpayers have to pay less for welfare subsidies. That's nice.

But let's ask a simple question... where is this money coming from?

Oh, it's coming from walmart. And how does walmart make money? By selling goods, primarily to low-income individuals.

So walmart will raise it's prices, which will impact low-income families, for the benefit of taxpayers who are largely wealthy.

This is literally the definition of a regressive policy.
>>
>>71538296

The markup is minimal. 5% or less. Dealerships make their money on repairs, warranties, and "genuine Brand parts"
>>
>>71539084
Which is why they charge ridiculous rates and never actually fix problems the first time.
>>
>>71539378

Which is why I took my car to the dealer after that fucker in the SUV wrecked my car. I wanted to make sure that thing got totalled out so I could upgrade to a new car.
>>
Thanks for the good thread.

Almost no shitposting apart from a few retards spouting Trump-shill or some shit.
>>
>>71539578
No such thing as a good thread on 4chan. The most intelligent posts always go ignored, and the most idiotic shitposting always gets spammed. This board is filled with children and autists.
>>
Minimum wage is a filter for all the retards at 21 I'm already making $23/hour you just have to talk big game then just adapt
>>
>>71539578
>>71540033

Right now we're posting in the middle of the American day, during the week, during the school year. Everybody ITT is an adult.
>>
>>71540217
But most adults don't know basic economics either.

The discussion might be more mature, but not much more educated or interesting.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.