[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pseudo-intellectual books people recommend. Not the content
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: book_id1140_size3.jpg (36 KB, 260x363) Image search: [Google]
book_id1140_size3.jpg
36 KB, 260x363
Pseudo-intellectual books people recommend.

Not the content necessarily, but they act like these books are the ultimate redpill when it's basic kindergarten crap.

Name a few.
>>
File: protocols_full.png (2 MB, 2790x9886) Image search: [Google]
protocols_full.png
2 MB, 2790x9886
I'd say that the Protocols are basic kindergarten. Meaning that they're the foundation redpill book that all other build on.
>>
>>71497563

Art of war isn't kindergarten crap, for Officers in the military it is often recommended or required reading (across the world)
>>
>>71497992
The book is full of common sense material. I read it expecting to see some amazing military revelations, but it really is just full of common sense material.
>>
atlas shrugged by ayn rand

basic economics by king nigger
>>
>>71498155
I agree with you but it is interesting looking at military defeats and comparing them with the methods mentioned in the book.
>>
>>71498155
Common sense is not so common.-Batman
>>
>>71497771
Protocols, I think, is fair. Regardless of whether it's basic for us or not, it's a very good introduction to how a society can be manipulated. It gives some references people can look at and say "Oh, wow, that's actually happening right now..and it does have that effect. Nice, I'll delve deeper into it.".

I'd consider the Protocols to be a basic book even for sociology classes to be honest. It's really a guideline as to what aspects of a society are influential and how.

>>71497992
There's nothing exceptional about it. It's really just common sense, like >>71498155 said.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's way too basic to be of any importance.
>>
>>71498155

Then you don't understand the military or the purpose of the material. It's not meant to be read and turn you into a strategic or tactical master, it's meant to be used by an ALREADY experienced commander and distilled into action and principles. It is then revisited often by high level commanders to make sure that the campaign is operating effectively towards their goals.

The book is useless to anyone who it is not meant for - the average civilian or even soldier has no use for learning the (literally) art of warfare. It makes sense for who it should, field and campaign officers in the military.
>>
>>71498494
That's what I don't get it. It SHOULDN'T be used by an experienced commander considering how basic it is. An experienced commander should already know about it all.
>>
infinite jest...
>>
>>71498466

See

>>71498494

It's like someone telling Einstein "Yeah, the energy something has is how big/heavy it is and how fast it's going. Duh, E=MC^2, that's pretty common sense, how is that important or useful"

Because it isn't particularly revealing, revolutionary or truly educational unless you're equipped with all of the other physics knowledge to understand why such a relationship is important.

Lessons in the military are learned in blood, the art of war takes thousands of years of Chinese military commander experience and breaks it into principles and values that are an absolute gold-mine for any officer over the rank of Captain or Major. For a Lieutenant Colonel, of any country, not to have read this book and taken away major applications to their work and how they manage their unit is unheard of.
>>
>>71497563
lol the art of war is full of good information for general military situations; people do frequently try to broaden it to state level situations and it won't always hold there (not like it should)

its a book about lulling your opponents into making a mistake you can then capitalize on by using your military forces creatively/rationally and never letting your own strength or lack of strength get into your head
>>
>>71499037
I agree that it's an ok guide, but in no way should an experienced military need to resort to that. Again, it's more of an introduction than anything. It's hyped as being an ultimate guide of war or whatnot, when it's nothing more than the basics.
>>
>>71498635

For example, in our doctrine we have something called the 10 principles of war. Just 10 things you have to keep in mind when making tactical and strategy decisions, trying to maintain all of them as much as possible.

Selection and maintenance of the aim; maintenance of morale; offensive action; surprise; security; concentration of force; economy of effort; flexibility; co-operation; and administration

All of these are common sense answers, but if you ask anyone not specifically informed of these they could give you 10 different answers. But doctrines and lessons the past have distilled the 100000s of things you need to worry about into these top 10, and every commander should know them and consider them. My CO still has a copy of them taped onto his desk some 30 years after passing his officer training, as he plans and writes orders he looks back at the 10 principles and makes sure he is covering as much as possible.

Same with the art of war, an experienced commander has a billion things that he's learned, and at such levels the plans are immensely complex and can take days, months, or years to develop.

That is why there will be a book like the art of war sitting around in any company or battalion command, or unit library. So you can go back and read thousands of years of common sense, and make sure you didn't miss any of it. It's not hard to completely overlook something common sense. If you can satisfy every contingency in the art of war, you have a VERY solid plan, that is why it is such a worth-full book
>>
>>71497563
The Art of War is good only if you understand all the context. Typical Asian nerds worshipping nerdiness for nerdiness' sake. You want to know fighting quickly read Marc Animal MacYoung.
>>
>>71499561
What you're saying is that it's basically a reminder sheet for the commander. Again, nothing of significant value in the content itself.
>>
File: Mein+Kampf.jpg (354 KB, 988x1500) Image search: [Google]
Mein+Kampf.jpg
354 KB, 988x1500
>>71497563
>>
File: todd.jpg (32 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
todd.jpg
32 KB, 500x303
>reading art of war made me better at shogun 2
>>
>>71499852

No, I'm saying civilians don't understand why the content is of significant value.

Like this poster said:

>>71499823

If you read it thinking it would give you, as a completely untrained civilian, any sort of workable information then of course the book is useless to you. The book and it's context are not meant for you, so the significance of each lesson is lost.

These lessons do not go over the heads of a commander the same way they go over your head and mine. E=MC^2 makes sense intrinsically, a layman could call it common sense and not understand the significance. Military doctrine is the same way, none of it is "holy shit that's so out-of-the-box thinking", it's all common sense that is significant only when approaching it from the level of a commander calling the strategy and tactics.
>>
>>71497563
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>71497563
Top pleb.

>Pseudo-intellectual books people recommend.

Any work by Nietzsche, but he's not "basic kindergarten crap". Pseudo-intellectuals just love him.
>>
>>714975634
>Not the content necessarily, but they act like these books are the ultimate redpill when it's basic kindergarten crap.

Name a few.
Mein Kampf
Atlas shrugged
>>
>>71497563
Meditations?

You should read the books regardless of how you feel over cringe fedoras and /pol/ touting them as great.
>>
>>71497563
>Pseudo-intellectual books people recommend.

>art of war
>pseudo intellectual.

It is only pseudo intellectual to kids like you who have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

inb4 it's common sense. This book can train simple humans to become good at fighting their own long term fights.
>>
File: 1461106611014.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461106611014.gif
2 MB, 500x500
gums, gems, and stolen property
>>
>>71498155
>common sense

saus the murican whose country hasnt won a war since WWII

the vietcongs adored that book and pwned your asses with it
>>
>>71498985
This,

I feel for this meme a couple years ago. What a crock of shit. No one gives a shit about your fucking microwaved eggs, David.
>>
File: 1460865239862-3.jpg (54 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1460865239862-3.jpg
54 KB, 850x400
>>71498466
>Protocols, I think, is fair

I was honestly just trying to shoehorn the Protocols into this thread topic because they are a great work of writing and I want more people to read them for both their practical applications and for what they reveal about the state of the world today.
>>
>>71497563
A dictionary does not lose its value just because you know all the words.
>>
Pretty soon all the ignorant, uneducated plebs who are insecure they don't understand a book or just want to feel superior and edgy will start posting legit brilliant books to distinguish themselves and inflate their meager egos.
>>
>>71497563
Crippled America.
>>
>>71502699
kek
>>
>>71497992
>If the enemy is panting then they must be thirsty!
Life changing.
>>
>>71502745
Donald Trump can't even spell properly, you really think his work is a masterpiece?
>>
File: cuteran.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
cuteran.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
>>71497563
quran
>>
>>71502883
You can't graduate from an Ivy League school without knowing how to write well.
>>
>>71503077
He misspells shit all the time dude
>>
>>71498155
Same story with Confucius thought, I expected much more from "the greatest asian thinker", well it's just trivial thought... And liberals, suffering from white guilt, try to put him in the same category with Heidegger or Nietzche...
>>
>>71503238
try chanakya niti and kautilya's arthashastra
>>
>>71503208
If words are misspelled it's bad editing. Nobody can write an entire book without making mistakes and typos.

You can't graduate from an Ivy League school without knowing how to write well.
>>
>>71503238
Buddha? Lao Tzu?

Far superior thinkers. But of course it's disputed if they ever existed. But those works >>> anything by confucius.
>>
File: 4239084290.jpg (80 KB, 408x600) Image search: [Google]
4239084290.jpg
80 KB, 408x600
>>71502801
it isnt that. The western/ murican instinct is to just bruteforce and force your way to victory, but in the book the greatest feat is winning by not fighting, or winning by guile and subterfuge instead of relying on strength. It stresses this multiple times.

you people had all the planes and bombs in vietnam but you got trounced by rice farmers with their tunnels and spike traps---and also by viet prostitutes supplying info from their american clientele.

They read that book.
>>
>>71498155
I think thats the point. Do you know how long ago that shit was written? Its supposed to be eternal guidelines. A rule book if you will.

The game manual teaches you the controls and menus but doesnt tell you how to beat the game
>>
Greek epic?
>>
>>71503238
Tbf you could probably say that about some of Plato's works, not that he wasn't a great thinker.
>>
>>71502311
I really fucking hate Indians. Can you kindly refrain from posting on this board in the future you subhuman scum
>>
File: 55a53f6821fed.jpg (60 KB, 568x708) Image search: [Google]
55a53f6821fed.jpg
60 KB, 568x708
>>71497771

> Protocols = redpill

> YFW you realize that propaganda is satire

Kek
>>
File: The+Prince.jpg (290 KB, 759x1149) Image search: [Google]
The+Prince.jpg
290 KB, 759x1149
>>71497563
>>
>>71497563

OP not only faggot, but confirmed Pseudo-intellectual
>>
>>71503859
this is true

massively overrated
>>
>>71500093
Come on man it's his birthday
>>
>>71497563
>but they act like these books are the ultimate redpill when it's basic kindergarten crap.
The art of war isn't basic kindergarten crap, but your knowledge of the world however does seem to be
>>
>>71503764
what are you talking about? What propaganda? Mainstream propaganda?
>>
>>71502505
PS I made a Protocols thread if anyone wants to join

>>71499558
>>
>>71503328
whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>71501626
It's because, like them, he was a self important contrarian.
>>
>>71503238
>>71503668

What might be considered trivial now may not at all have been considered trivial when these authors were writing and, even if what is written is considered trivial, the historic significance of the text(s) are valuable in and off themselves
>>
File: 31801525hd7mwn5-jpg.jpg (51 KB, 291x477) Image search: [Google]
31801525hd7mwn5-jpg.jpg
51 KB, 291x477
Reading in general is pretty red-pilled, but this book changed my life.
>>
>>71503859

I so wanted to like it, I wanted to justify it being insightful and deep especially since I read it when I was a teen, but even then... Fuck is it some basic shit.
>>
>>71505317
>this book changed my life
Must have been a pretty uninteresting life.
>>
File: Charles Darwin.jpg (50 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
Charles Darwin.jpg
50 KB, 328x500
>>71497563
This book might be the second most relevant to western civilization and I'm not endorsing the fedora atheist people who use this book to speak nonsense.
If you haven't read it, you can't say that you are red pilled IMO
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.