[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fracking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Why don't liberals like fracking? Are there any examples of it harming the environment? Are you pro fracking?
>>
>>71495170
Because most of them don't understand how it works. All they see are fear mongering articles on random news sites with:
>muh earthquakes
and
>muh water table

that being said, the industry does need a bit more regulatory control with regards to the handling of the chemicals and water they use during the process.

Additionally, in some states what these oil and gas companies do is convince older people with land to lease their property to build a well. Then the company will cap the well and wait for the lease to run out, taking full control of the well property once the original owners have passed away/moved on. I'm not entirely sure how frequent this actual is, but it was definitely happening out in Western PA when I went to school out there.
>>
>>71495170
Liberals werent anti-fracking until bernie told them they should be.

Bernie wants us back on oil so his kike friends can keep making shekels.
>>
>>71495663
i don't agree with liberals but this is retarded

18 year old HS senior, mother is extremely active politically

she has been talking about fracking since i was like 13 or something and how it affects local wetlands
>>
>>71495578
Not doubting what you say but can i get some sauce?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8

No definitive research into the environment effect fracking will have and it is being pushed through quickly and quietly all over the world... sounds like jewry to me.
>>
>>71495663

Fracking is used to get oil

And people have been against fracking long before Bernie said anything
>>
>>71495826
>>71495929
nice try kikes.

fracking was NOT AN ISSUE for this election until bernie mentioned it.

look back 1 year ago and you'll see that NOBODY was talking about it.
>>
File: 2015-08-18-72d4c6e2_large.jpg (138 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-18-72d4c6e2_large.jpg
138 KB, 600x300
>>71495170
Trump supporter here.

I'm obviously not a liberal, but i'm concerned (possibly due to false info) about fracking as well.

The limited knowledge I have is that it may cause earthquakes and could affect the water supply
>muh dirty water
>muh faucet fire

Not super well informed, but it does concern me at this point. Educate me /pol/ are the libcucks fearmongering, or are we playing with fire?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>71496151
nice b8
>>
>>71496190
>le anything I dont agree with is b8
fuck off kike.
>>
my grandma in michigan cant drink her tap water anymore because fracking. thats pretty shitty man
>>
>>71496225
i'm sorry dude but your posts seem awfully like b8
>>
Those videos of people lighting tap water on fire as it comes out of their faucets are a bit troubling.
>>
>>71496166
>it may cause earthquakes
it does. We had more than 300 earthquakes here after they started fracking, and they were forced to stop
>>
File: Shale-gas21.jpg (262 KB, 727x476) Image search: [Google]
Shale-gas21.jpg
262 KB, 727x476
>>71495170

Fracking and horizontal drilling are the harbingers of a new energy world order

New American technology will proliferate around the world and permanently alter the global energy market

The current major exporters (Saudi, Russia, etc) are going to lose out in a big way

at minimum the price ceiling is going to be permanently reduced to like half the price we saw over most of the last decade and a half
>>
>>71496273
>still shitposting about le b8
fuck off kike.
>>
>>71496377
your posts seem awfully rude to not be b8

are you ok
>>
>>71496243
That has nothing to do with fracking. It's strictly poor management of infrastructure
>>
>>71495873
Which bit?

If you want more info on the property leasing, I would have dig something up same as you. I only got that tidbit from a professor I worked for who grew up in the area and who's parents still lived there. There were family friends and neighbors who had been through the leasing situation. I know it's completely anecdotal. I wish I had some ready sauce to give you.
>>
>>71495918
>le gasland face
>>
>>71496358
Those are because of salt water disposals, not fracking

t. a geologist who hates horizontal operatorss and because they fucked the industry but feels compelled to correct people about it anyway
>>
>>71495170
I live in Oklahoma and along with Geologists claiming that injections are causing the (albeit minor) earth quakes and the State Govt suspiciously refusing to talk about and making laws preventing anyone but the state from regulating fracking when the controversy arose. Pretty nasty jewery going on.

Oh well, the USGS has ruled Oklahoma will suffer decades worth of earthquakes even if we stopped tomorrow. Why not go all in at this point.
>>
>>71496358
300??

Sorry for being skeptical, but how was that not breaking world news?
>>
>>71496716
LA and Southern California has had: (M1.5 or greater)

8 earthquakes today
47 earthquakes in the past 7 days
187 earthquakes in the past month
2,739 earthquakes in the past year

http://earthquaketrack.com/v/la/recent
>>
>>71496817
>>71496716
California, United States has had: (M1.5 or greater)

20 earthquakes today
132 earthquakes in the past 7 days
564 earthquakes in the past month
7,256 earthquakes in the past year

^ that one may be more informative
>>
>>71496274
Then post some

Cause I doubt that's sincerely true
>>
>>71496716
There were 567 3.0+ magnitude earthquakes in Oklahoma in 2014 alone.
>>
>>71496716
>how was that not breaking world news?

Because most earthquakes are relatively minor. Anything less than 4 on the Richter scale is pretty much unnoticeable outside of seismographic equipment.

People just read "earthquake" and instantly assume houses shaking, buildings collapsing etc.
>>
>>71495170
They think it causes earthquakes. They're really dumb because it doesn't.
>>
People in my town have been bitching about fracking for years because of stupid reasons:
>MUH it's destroyin' the bluffs!
When in reality it's just one quarry near the bottom of a bluff
>MUH silica sand is givin' me cancer!
When in reality it's literally made of the most common mineral on earth (Quartz) and is found all over the fucking world.

Also the shit about fracking starting your sink on fire is bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrXklj_K2nc
>>
>>71496151
It's only been one of the biggest issues in my state for the past 5 years.

But why don't you tell me more about the place in which I live.
>>
>right wingers sucking the gassy Jews dick
>>
>>71496151
>fracking was NOT AN ISSUE for this election until bernie mentioned it.

look back 1 year ago and you'll see that NOBODY was talking about it.

Wat. It's been an issue in the Midwest (especially MN and WI) for years. (Although the issue's been more focused on the silica mining itself). Where have you been?
>>
>>71497210
>Also the shit about fracking starting your sink on fire is bullshit.
That may not entirely true.
>>
>>71495170
worked oil and gas. seen fracking first hand. doesn't fuck with the environment a ton but it does cause earthquakes. there isn't any conclusive evidence that it does but i've felt the effects first hand on fracking sites to fuck that. also NORMS are a major bitch with all the shit you bring up.
>>
>>71496166
Basically, there are two types of contamination and neither one of them is simply due to the fracking process.
A) Cracked/improperly built concrete well casings
B) Overground spills
Fuck ups with the concrete well casings will lead to gas seeping out of the well with the possibility of contaminating the groundwater. This usually means really little, and doesn't happen very often, as the regulations and enforcement are pretty damned tight - most states have learnt by now.
Overground spills are the unstated horror though, and one that the anti-frack lobby ignores, because it's easier to fearmonger about an ambiguous invisible poison than simple industrial accidents. Overground spills have accounted for the vast majority of groundwater contamination, ecological and material damage.
Similar to coal and fly ash spills, or aluminium and red mud alumina spills, which are disgustingly damaging.

>Muh dirty water
Usually the water is recycled and "The chemicals" added are added in such dilute quantities that you'd have a hard time discerning whether it or tap water was worse. Most gas rigs are recycling more and more because the piped out water is essentially ready to go back, storage is expensive, and paying for new water is also really expensive.
>Muh faucet fire
http://energyindepth.org/marcellus/extinquishing-the-flaming-faucet-exploding-the-myth/
Tl;dr usually occurs in areas where there has always been a high methane component to the groundwater, but there's a raised eyebrow as to other places, where the methane C-12 signatures matches gas rig output, which may indicate a cracked well, not not incredibly conclusive.

>Earthquakes
Mostly an outcome of early rounds of fracking, fracking quakes are generally irrelevant, a mere tremor or shake.

>Other things to say
It's an industry capable of massive growth potential in the US, only slightly more than a quarter of the peak rigs are currently operational, yet overall production has increased 30% since then.
>>
leaking wells after extraction can also be quite a big problem, in some areas half of the wells were found to be leaking already a decade later

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/18/pennsylvania-abandoned-fracking-wells-methane-leaks-hidden
>>
> oil
> relevant in fucking 2016.
We have renewable energy yet people are still killing each other over an outdated source of feul. Goddamn
>>
The funny thing is that it's still far less poisonous than mining for solar panel materials.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.