[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become eloquent in the art of debate? Anyone wanna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 1459547919195.png (850 KB, 1371x725) Image search: [Google]
1459547919195.png
850 KB, 1371x725
How do I become eloquent in the art of debate?

Anyone wanna have an argument on Skype or something?
>>
start by picking better role models than that retard
>>
>>71113694
Just make sure you have statistics and you're fine, particularly if you're debating against feelings.
>>
>>71113694
Get on a public speaking course.
>>
>>71114196
came here to say this
>>
Learn how to lie really well. Facts are good and all but most people rarely listen to them in general conversation.

Also, get good at reading people - some people will cripple under pressure but others will just fall back into full defencive mode if you push too hard. If you know how much pressure to apply, you'll win.
>>
File: Patrice O Neal A.jpg (151 KB, 723x1000) Image search: [Google]
Patrice O Neal A.jpg
151 KB, 723x1000
>>71113694
ayeee bump. Also OP you dont wanna take notes from Milo. Milo debates retards and he wins at that. Pic related would be a much better candidate.
>>
In my opinion the most important thing is to keep your shit together and remain calm throughout. Stick to facts and reason, and refrain from making any personal attacks whatsoever. When your opponent gets personal or refuses to engage with your facts/reason, then point it out because it will weaken their position. The biggest danger with this approach is that people will just try and drown you out by shouting at you and not letting you talk, so it's important that you also be assertive and make sure your voice gets heard.

I don't think Yiannoppolous is a good example of an eloquent debater. He's essentially just a provocateur with a posh accent. I think he's a funny irl troll, but no more than that.
>>
Start talking like British gentleman, dye your hair and use the good old-fashioned brit banter
And watch your parliament debates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTdgB03pk4
>>
>>71113694

don't pick up debate """"skills"""" from a coal burning jewish zionist homosexual
>>
>>71114196
>>71114338

You guys got a better example of a better role model please share?
>>
>>71114838
trolling irl is what debate has devolved into, sadly
>>
>>71113694
lol most right wingers just sperg

have you tried sperging and spitting a lot like trump does?
>>
>>71113694
>How do I become eloquent in the art of debate?

Start by having an IQ in the normal range.
>>
>>71115185
/thread
>>
>>71113694

Except that he's wrong because catharsis doesn't blow off steam, it increases the problem. This is especially true with anger.
>>
>>71113694

Start going to places where you get to chat with people.

I do cardiotraining at my local swimming hall and the pre and post workout sauna is like a small greece forum where everyday there are these 10-20 regulars who are middle aged lads and old timers having heated (lel) debates and arguments about everything because the populus is like a crosscut of society.

In the old good times there were gentlemens clubs where men could go be just with other men to have a break from women but now women have ruined them. The Bars also used to serve this purpose but no more.
>>
>>71113694
>tfw went to debate nationals all four years of high school
>tfw literally best debater in MO
>tfw lost to chink in first round every time
>>
>>71113694
Start by studying the ancients. Also try to come up with different ways to say things in your head as a regular exercise. Speed is important in a debate, as well as an impressive vocabulary.
>>
>>71114259
Actually, no. Not unless it's a 1v1 debate with no people watching. Ben Carson, for instance, used to rattle off loads of numbers, but nobody listened. People want pathos and only limited logos. This is why leftists have been so succesful. You could have the best case built up to prove that, idk, violence is race-based, have all the statistics in your head etc. and a leftist will just have to invoke the image of you as a racist and the crowd will stop listening to reason.
>>
I've participated in public speaking competitions and debates all throughout my education, right through to uni.

I really think the most important thing is to listen intently to what the other person is saying, coupled with a quick wit (can be developed with practice). You need to quickly identify the core argument the opposition is trying to convey, and find the fault (or create one) as a counter-argument. Lying is important, but so is downplaying the validity of their argument while trying to bolster your own. Also using facts (or fabricating them) is of upmost importance.

It's like any other game.
>>
>>71115889
the same chink or chinks in general? asains are rarely particularly persuasive so unless you mean they were just better at finding factual evidence to support their claims, i dont understand why this would be a problem.
>>
>>71113694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
>>
>>71115984

Good advice. I prepare arguments when I'm on the train and stuff.
>>
Learn how to use a gun. That is the only opposition you should offer the Left.
>>
>>71113694
Watch Christopher Hitchens
>>
>>71113694
Be ancient Greek or Roman.

>muh rhetoric.
>>
>>71113694
Skype is not secure, KGB would think I'm trying to conspire with a foreign agent.
>>
Never argue with a female, they can't argue, and will think of arguments as a personal war, thus defeating the whole purpose of the argument. They base their "facts" on how they "feel" about the subject, completely disregarding actual stats.
Never try to "one-up" anyone. You are there to counter to their arguments. It's not a race, you're not winning anything but the argument. Say one thing wrong/unrelated and the damage control will be your doom.
Never argue with someone you wish to impress, they'll always hold a grudge on losing for some reason, and specially in the current year where opposing beliefs make you a racist sexist bigot.
Never start arguments but never back down from one either. If you go around looking to argue on atheism to christcucks or something, you're no different than a achmed going around telling people to convert.
Lastly, look for constructive discussion, not arguments. Arguments lead to at least one person getting mad/sad instead of accepting defeat/truth. You need to learn not to argue but to let them think that they won the argument while simultaneously proving them wrong. It's not easy, that's why not everyone is a great politician.
Read psychology books, not that "conversational skills" self help shit. Actual psychology, /lit/ is your friend with that.
Basic pointers are that just stay on the topic, don't get rustled( I bet about 90% of people you'll argue with will break these rules, get mad, ad hominems and shit, start talking unrelated shit) and , that's pretty much about it.
Remember that it's easier to let people REALISE THEY'RE WRONG wrong than to make them forcibly swallow facts that go absolutely against their beliefs.
Good luck britbro.
>>
>>71113694
>Gay
>Coalburner
>Zionist
>Thinks nigs are oppressed

Fuck off with this dirty fag.
>>
>>71113694
It's one thing to say your argument, but you also have to be prepared for any response from your opponents. Examples:

Peter Hitchens at his best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMBbcDfrs8

Tommy Robinson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtA21eiSmT8
>In this video he keeps repeating himself "why am I racist...no one can give me an answer".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1pzNiL6RY
>Reporter tries to trick Tommy but fails
>>
>>71115206
This. Debating is really easy and I never even thought consciously about how to improve.

Have won nearly all debates I entered, but lost my best friends in the way. Welp.
>>
>>71113694
Learn your audience, you're not trying to convince your opponent, that is futile. You are trying to convince the people listening.
>>
>>71115102

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFJWzgUmTE
>>
>>71115102
Ben Shapiro.

I have never seen anyone beat him in a debate.
>>
>>71117550
Interesting. But what if i'm debating a friend?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.