[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHICH BIBLE IS GOOD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 17
File: 1448415541168.png (242 KB, 443x523) Image search: [Google]
1448415541168.png
242 KB, 443x523
I've been an atheist all my life but now im 30 years old and want to convert to christianity. First I'd love to read the bible and I'd like to know which version is good and if I must avoid others at all cost

Do I even need to bother with versions or can I just go in any library and buy the first Bible on sight?
>>
File: 1453454147041.jpg (145 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1453454147041.jpg
145 KB, 1252x1252
>>71104658
Shit bait

No one with 'christchan' images has any serious interest in christianity

for that matter, no one on 4chan has any serious interest in christianity
>>
KJV.
>>
you will also want to get a blue letter index..some of the words and meanings are hard to understand
>>
>>71104872
do I read it cover to cover like a normal book ?
>>
>>71104658

I don't recommend just picking up a bible and reading it. Listen to people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo/videos for now to make sure you don't end up believing heretical shit
>>
>>71104658

Frankly all of the bibles have been manipulated and transcribed through so many errors that it doesn't even matter. If you're going to ask whichever is closest to whatever the original scripture was: the answer is -NONE OF THEM-
>>
>>71105210

So in which version of the Bible is Jesus a rastaman married to St. Paul and Mary Magdalene, preaching the 420 lifestyle?
>>
>>71104658
you can read front to back, yes. but the amount of spiritual knowledge is infinite within the word of god.
>>
>>71104977
start by the Ecclesiastes, it's my favourite book

And proverbs, too
>>
>>71105339

The King Selassie Bible, it's less propagandic than the KJV and Jesus represents the POC community
>>
>>71104658
just download it to your phone, there are many bible apps. I have one that let's me compare different translations
>>
>>71104658
I recommend Psalms of KIng David.
>>
>>71104658
I'd go with the douay rheims with commentary if you want the right interpretation of the original texts.
If you want to go full protestant go king James.
>>
>>71105540
>>71104658

This OP, there are a ton of free bible apps just get one of those for now especially because, no offense or anything, but there's still a chance that this may be a phase for you and it's best not to commit the money to a fancy bible yet.

As for translation, personally I'm a KJV fag but I've also heard good things about the Douay-Rheims.

Remember though that ultimately, any bible is better than no bible, and no matter what translation-fags say we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.
>>
>>71104658
at biblegateway.com there's a selection of translations you can choose from.
>Do I even need to bother with versions or can I just go in any library and buy the first Bible on sight?
Kinda depends on which sect of Christianity do you follow. Protestants have 66 book of the bible, as all bibles, but Orthodox and Catholics have additional books having to do with history and little divine intervention.
>>
>>71104658
Get the newest version possible, new artifacts are found every year, the older the scripture the more reliable and closest to the original version

This is why KJV is wrong and obsolete. A lot of the verses were found to be wrong from earlier dated texts years after it was published
>>
The Vulgate, you protestant whores.
>>
File: Patrician Literature.jpg (7 KB, 241x400) Image search: [Google]
Patrician Literature.jpg
7 KB, 241x400
>>71104658

Try this one.
>>
>>71105745
I did went full crazy and I'm reading all the gnostics texts too. I think they are quite accurate too. Especially since they are a more direct and to the source translation. I'm really into early christianism since that faggot Philip K. Dick drag me to it.

gnosis.org
>>
>>71104977
Depends on how you want to read it.
Most people read it: NT, OT both from beginning to end. (or NT, OT)
You can also read it chronologically, but you'll need a bible reading plan (because for example a lot of the prophets actually preached in the books of Kings. Or for example, some psalms are written by David so they should be in Samuel... Etc)

I'd advice you start with the NT with a 40 day reading plan of the NT & then go Chronologically.
>>
>>71104658
The one with the cover made out of a persons face.
>>
>jesus was a jew
dropped
>>
File: elderly-fights.jpg (123 KB, 600x548) Image search: [Google]
elderly-fights.jpg
123 KB, 600x548
Bible gateway.

Common English Version translates it as common language as you'll get.

Read:
Gospel of Mark
Acts
Romans
Ephesians
To begin, in that order.
>>
File: forever21bag-e1396374601309.jpg (337 KB, 2979x1675) Image search: [Google]
forever21bag-e1396374601309.jpg
337 KB, 2979x1675
>>71104658

Don't go to a library to get a bible, go to a church. They'll probably give it to you for free. Don't get a "devotional" one, or one that has a bunch of footnotes and other crap. Just get a plain ole bible.

I think King James Version is the best one. Get it where they highlight Jesus' speech in red, its more useful than you'd think.

King James Version isn't as olde-timey as you might think its MUCH easier to read than Shakespeare.

New International Version is like, the simplified English version. Its not bad but its not really necessary because like I said, KJV doesn't use archaic words, really. Also NIV changes Jesus' speech a lot.
>>
>>71104658
Best (and among the only) textus receptus based translation: KJV

Best Westcott and Hort text-based translation: NASB
>>
>read Book of Joshua
>god orders genocide
dropped
>>
>>71105454
>Spiritual knowledge

Literally a substitute for real knowledge.

>Infinite

Like an product of fiction it is limitless.

*tips*
>>
File: 001.jpg (410 KB, 1254x775) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
410 KB, 1254x775
>>71105942
Latin-learning resource pls
>>
>read OT
>god makes the sun stop in the sky for a whole day to give the Israelites time to win a battle
>no other historical record makes note of this

>jesus dies
>earth quakes
>dead people get up out of their graves and walk around

dropped
>>
File: 1460395864954.jpg (217 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
1460395864954.jpg
217 KB, 3000x1688
>>71104756
>no one on 4chan is a christian
>>
>>71105727
Not a big fan of apps. Doubt it's a phase since im not converting because im sick, depressed or in mourning but i guess nothing is impossible. Im sure there's bibles at 10$

>Kinda depends on which sect of Christianity do you follow. Protestants have 66 book of the bible, as all bibles, but Orthodox and Catholics have additional books having to do with history and little divine intervention.

like I said ive been an atheist all my life ive only very vague ideas about the protestant vs catholic stuff. There's 'catholic bibles' and 'protestant bibles' ?

>You can also read it chronologically, but you'll need a bible reading plan (because for example a lot of the prophets actually preached in the books of Kings. Or for example, some psalms are written by David so they should be in Samuel... Etc)

do bibles usually provide a little guidance or do I need to look this up by myself?
>>
>>71105977
>Anton LaVey

That's not how you write Faggot MerChant
>>
>>71106194

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata
>>
File: 1425413142_6315490af8_o.jpg (235 KB, 900x1321) Image search: [Google]
1425413142_6315490af8_o.jpg
235 KB, 900x1321
>>71105942 this
the only acceptable answer is the douay rheims
newer versions tend to strip away the old religious vocabulary and replace it with modern secular terms.
>>
>>71106283
Martin Luther stole the Bible from the church to print it for stupid peasants. His cult of retards and fanatics are called Protestants
>>
File: R836bYY.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
R836bYY.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
protestant: KJV
catholic: douay rheims or the RSCVE2
orthodox : orthodox study bible

i'm a catholic so i generally only read catholic bibles but those seem to be the top choices for the three different sects. everyone has the same new testament books, the old testament books vary between the three sects (and with orthodox can vary between the nationality of different churches).
>>
>>71106283
You have to look that up yourself, the bible it's just the history of the jewish people.
>>
>>71106227
>read history
>Hitler only killed 6 gorillion Jews in the camps liberated by the soviets
>He didn't kill any Jews in the camps liberated by the allies

dropped
>>
Look, faggots, I think the question rally is as simple as which is the closest to original. Can we get an answer for that?

>>71106390
>Implying there are multiple acceptable texts

There should really only be one. One is correct, while the others are incorrect.
>>
>>71106194
Wheelock's Latin, but only if your ok with LOTS of boring grammar for the first few chapters. Otherwise what this >>71106339
guy said.
>>
>>71106390
same anon here my bad its RSV CE 2
>>
>>71106283
It's a complicated mess anon.
>OT point was to show how religion doesn't fucking work
>Half what you read (NT as well) will be historical context
>KJV will confuse you ("God is pitiful ", pitiful used to mean 'full of pity')

>Gospel of Mark will give you the basics. Mark is shortest gospel
>Acts documents early church thought
>Romans tells how old system/religion led to Jesus, how religion didn't work
>Ephesians gives lots of church basics

Good luck again.
>>
>>71106506
>>71106339
Thank you both
>>
>>71106390
Wait does it mean the versions are fundamentally different ? I thought it what just better/worse choices of word and stuff like that
>>
File: 1324164422772.jpg (38 KB, 349x309) Image search: [Google]
1324164422772.jpg
38 KB, 349x309
>30 years old
>still atheist
well better later than never grow up
>>
>>71106490
>closest to original

there is no "original" left to compare it to , go dig the Nag Hammadi TIFF raw scans then, you dense motherfucker
>>
File: 1453758859083.gif (4 MB, 250x413) Image search: [Google]
1453758859083.gif
4 MB, 250x413
>>71106602
KJV was written after the Reformation, after Luther stole it. Much of its substance was lost from inadequate translations from members not required to know much of anything

Maybe I'm biased though
>>
>>71104658
There's this new edition called "The book of Mormon", it's pretty good
>>
>>71104658
Kjv (king James version)
>inb4 hurr durr that's obvious fagget.
To a non Christian, it might not be obvious.
>>
File: image.gif (23 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23 KB, 256x256
>>71104658
Read pic related
>>
>>71104658
Biblia Sacra Vulgata Stuttgartensia, to be ordered at the Vatican City Editions.
>>
>>71106682
If you weren't such a dumb cunt you could use a few spare neurons to think of which has changed and reinterpreted the least. Which has been in the hands of revisionists the most, and which is geographically and chronologically closest to the original, you dense motherfucker.
>>
>guys, I know better than to actually believe in deities but I just want to get in on the joke.

You're already the butt of the joke.
>>
>>71105942
/thread
>>
>>71106602

catholic and orthodox bibles are pretty close to one another (orthodox have one extra psalm in the book of psalms and occasionally include one or two short books that catholics don't). protestant bibles came from the reformation of christianity a couple some odd hundred years ago.

the protestant bible orders it's old testament around the jewish bible, catholic and orthodox order it around what has been read since the start of the christian church. since the catholic are more centralized than the orthodox, all catholic bibles are the same where as some orthodox bibles vary by nationality (for instance, ethiopian orthodox have extra books than greek orthodox).

catholic bibles will be the easiest for you to find in north america and that's what i would read anyways. all you have to do to figure out if a bible is catholic or protestant is look for the book of tobit. protestants don't read the book of tobit since it wasn't part of the jewish bible but catholics/orthodox do since their old testament isn't based exclusively on the jewish canon. so if you see it in the index you know what kind of bible youre holding.

i apologize if i'm not being clear, i dislike sectarianism between different christian groups so i'm trying to be evenhanded in how i phrase things. protestants would argue that catholic/orthodox bibles have books that aren't part of the jewish/christian religion and catholics and orthodox would argue that the saints of their religion confirm that the books are the words of god since holiness couldn't stem from falsehood.
>>
>>71106897
I just wanted to use "Dense Motherfucker" once.

Thanks, Faggot.
>>
>>71106553
>It's a complicated mess anon.
lol yeah I can see that I don't understand much i think im gonna save that internet page

>Good luck again.
thank you godbless
>>
File: gg.jpg (51 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
51 KB, 851x315
>>71106506
>wheelock
WHEEEEEEEELOOOOOOOOOCK
>>
>>71107042
same anon as here- for instance in the second book of maccabees there is a reference to praying for the dead so that their sins can be blotted out. catholics and orthodox base the practice of praying for the dead for the remission of their sins on this book, whereas protestants reject both the book and the notion of praying for the dead for the remission of their sins on the ground that no reference to the practice is made outside of the second book of maccabees.

oh also, for translations: part of what youre deciding is how recent the language is. for instance, in my douay rheims, the language is much older english than the RSV CE 2. So the douay rheims is a bible i use for reading and the RSV CE 2 is what i use for studying.
>>
>>71104658
King James is the only good bible.
>>
>>71106640
one good acid trip does it for most people, if they're not literally soulless.

by the way faggots, i'm talking about actual acid trips, none of your gay "i took 150ug" shit
>>
>>71104658
Lmao
Thirty years old and an atheist and wanting to become a Christian holy shit
>>
>>71107042
Ah I thought all bible were roughly the same and that sect were just different interpretation or views of the bible.

Do I need to 'pick a sect' or can you avoid this?
>>
>>71107285
I just depend on random coincidences that don't make sense for anyone except for me. Like, I dunno, seeing a butterfly when I'm thinking about god, do you guys get some of that?
>>
>>71107367
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
>>
File: ihs_black_sun.gif (8 KB, 323x307) Image search: [Google]
ihs_black_sun.gif
8 KB, 323x307
>>71104658

No. Compare bibles. For example; Revelation 22:14:

ISV
14 “How blessed are those who wash their robes[e] so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city!

KJV
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

I suggest the KJV 1611 edition and check if it is not a fake one (Indeed, they are changing the bible): http://www.biblicalscholarship.net/howto.htm
>>
File: K5OeD8u.jpg (270 KB, 1666x1100) Image search: [Google]
K5OeD8u.jpg
270 KB, 1666x1100
>>71107310
you need to pick a sect to belong to a church, since every church belongs to a sect, but to read the bible you just have to be curious. i'm biased because i enjoy and find value in the books cut out of the protestant bible and i feel like you're missing part of the story without them but i also enjoy writers like william blake who only cared about their own bible and ignored sect completely. it's really up to you how far you wanna go down the rabbit hole.
>>
>>71107438
I know it's called like that, I did even read the Carl Jung Book, it gets stonger with time. But when I want to talk it with someone it just get very angry and weird, the last time, the radio literally turned on, put some ad that said "This is a secret, and you should tell anyone" and it turned off, spooky as fuck.
>>
>>71107487
The tree of life is the same one mentioned in the Genesis? besides the tree of the knowledge of good and bad?
>>
>>71107566
alright thank you for all the information

ill save that page for later use and im going to bed

thanks again
>>
>>71107696

Gen 2;9 says it is, guess you have to check the hebrew/greek text to be certain.

And it is not "beside" the tree of knowledge of good and evil. They are both in the midst of the garden. The only possible way that they both are in the midst is probably because it is intertwined.
>>
File: qdHs1Ma.jpg (137 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
qdHs1Ma.jpg
137 KB, 852x1136
>>71107821
no problem anon. nighty night
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.