[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English only at work.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMAG0085.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0085.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
Been having a debate about English only rules at work. Here in Hawaii we have a variety of Pacific Islanders whose only common language is English. Different ethnicities breaking off into groups and speaking their native tongue has resulted in the isolation of other individuals who do not share their tongue or only speak English. Recently we've received numerous complaints in this vein. I see no issue with requiring everyone to speak English while on the clock. During breaks and lunches, before or after work, do your thing. But on the clock, it's English. I'm anticipating backlash but want to get some opinions / thoughts / feedback.
>>
>>71097004
Sounds fair to me. During work hours not speaking the same language can get in the way of cooperating with your co workers.
>>
>>71097004
I agree.
>>
I'm wondering what the political backlash will be and/or will it be painted as racist?
>>
Different langiages at works are terrible for effectiveness. In my company the big bosses speak norwegian, supervisors swedish, half of the workers swedes and the other half cant learn nprwegoan becaise their partners and bosses only speak swedish between them so they stick to the english or their mother tongues.

Result. Isolated groups that dont give a fuck qbout others.
>>
Redpill me about Hawaii anon. I'm mixed race, White/Chinese, but grew up on mainland. Is it easier for someone like me to fit in over there?
>>
>>71097004
Stop hiring shitskin foreigners?
>>
>>71097671

This is exactly what we're experiencing. Plus it's developing into clique mentality with tensions mounting between the groups. High School all over again in some spots with the haves and have nots. We drafted a policy memo this afternoon to "encourage" people to speak English only while on the clock but some of the big bosses are understandably concerned that it will have potentially litigious consequences.
>>
>>71097854

If by fit in you mean look more like 90% of the people, then yes.
>>
>>71098248

Hmm, well it's a step. Just trying to avoid going all Elliot Rodgers. Thanks anon.
>>
>>71098697

All good. Especially Honolulu / Waikiki have a pretty heavy Japanese / Chinese / Korean American population.
>>
>>71097004
Anon, no! Diversity is your strength, not communication. Everyone should speak their own individual language so you can fully appreciate your multicultural environment. Don't compromise on this for the mere sake of getting shit done.
>>
>>71097004
Seems like - a non-issue? But then again I had a conversation with a feminist the other day. She thought everything I said was problematic but refused to explain.
>>
>>71099480

How can diversity be a strength if we can't even understand each other?
>>
>>71100153

I did walk think it was an issue either until we started receiving a lot of complaints from one minority group against another. For some reason we've received 5 of these in the last month claiming discrimination by exclusion.
>>
>>71097004
My uncle is an immigrant but he enforces that exact rule. Lots of Portuguese (which my uncle is) but he makes all employees speak English. It makes sense, you're in the Anglo world so you speak English on the clock.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.