[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is high school literally a waste of time as it has been dumbed-down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12
File: math-calculus-diagram-DHD.gif (4 KB, 460x375) Image search: [Google]
math-calculus-diagram-DHD.gif
4 KB, 460x375
Is high school literally a waste of time as it has been dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator?

Ffs, calculus is the highest level of math most high schoolers take. Calculus should have been taught in middle school.
>>
>>71051684

>dumbed down
citation needed
>>
2/10
try teaching hyperactive middle schoolers something and expecting it to stick
>>
>>71051684

High school is the most important time to shape a student's life. I'm a high school teacher myself. I teach History for grades 11 and 12. Obviously kids aren't ready to learn calculus in middle school. This has to be a troll thread lol.
>>
Yes, but not for the reason you're saying.

most people should never even have to learn calculus or even algebra, most aren't fit for it in the first place.

Compulsory education is a mistake, it holds down people like you who actually want to pursue the intellectual stuff, and it delays childhood . The "teenager" didn't exist until public school and the media created it. 16 year olds used to be adults, and could marry and have children. The ones who go for higher education (I'm talking anything more than 8th grade) should be a minority.
>>
>>71051787
No Child Left Behind
>>
>>71052164
Only in America
Here we get split into different levels after primary school
>>
>>71052113

Lol your a fucking idiot dude you wouldn't have what it takes to be a public school teacher I'm sorry man. That was by far the most ignorant and retarted thing I've read here since I first started posting on 4chan. We're not in 1905 anymore you reactionary manlet.
>>
>>71051951
>High school is the most important time to shape a student's life.
Ya nah, I didn't start being the "real" me until junior year of college.
>>
>>71051684
>Calculus should have been taught in middle school
wow you must be super smart!

yea middle schoolers should stop memorizing multiplication tables and start memorizing trigonometric integrals... i bet your faggot ass can't even write a proof. have you even taken topology?
>>
File: 1460313560373.jpg (42 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1460313560373.jpg
42 KB, 700x500
>>71052261
WHY THE FUCK DONT WE DO THAT

WE'RE HOLDING THE STRONG BACK SO THE WEAK CAN KEEP UP REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>71052315
>you wouldn't have what it takes to be a public school teacher

Kek
>>
>>71051787
It certainly isn't designed to keep any moderately smart student challenged whatsoever.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/aug/17/a-levels-results-standards-ib

>>71051951
You need to throw 80% of kids into jobs at age 13, and then you can focus on the 20% with any kind of intellectual abilities. Calculus is extremely simple.

>>71052113
This is true. Most teens don't give a fuck about any education stuff anyway. They are just draging the intelligent kids down.
>>
>>71052335

Who do you think was responsible for getting you to your junior year of college....

Don't forget about your hs teachers bro....stop by your old high school and show appreciation for your former teachers. It's good karma at the least :-)
>>
>>71052443
Common core, no child left behind, etc

They literally renamed regular classes advanced classes and have new regular classes that are dumb classes in my district. Very few AP classes.
>>
>>71052485
I'm not just talking about school and academics, I'm saying that most people should go straight to trades/work and adult responsibilities in their teenage years, including marriage and family.

compulsory schooling is really the main reason the white birthrate is down, it's becuase we're tricked into thinking we all deserve to be scholars instead of down to earth laborers and fathers.
>>
>>71052442
Kids shouldn't be memorizing shit in middle school. They should practice reasoning.

Topology is freshman math, but it could be moved down to HS if you increased the tempo and threw the idiots out.
>>
>>71052443
they do that in america. you are just too stupid to not get selected.

it is called Gifted and Talented until high school, then it is called Advanced Placement.

i graduated in the top 10% percent with a C average in high school because literally all of my classes were AP so they were weighted. if you aren't in gifted and talented, or AP, you are the weak holding others back.
>>
>>71052706
making everyone learn higher math beyond geometry and arithmetic is a waste in general.
>>
>>71052453

Fuck you
>>
>>71052498
>Who do you think was responsible for getting you to your junior year of college
Myself?

>stop by your old high school and show appreciation for your former teachers.
I do, like 2 or 3 times a year.
>>
>>71052742
Glad you're still in high school, buddy.
>>
>>71052485

Your exactly what's wrong with this world you white supremacist asshole who doesn't believe in equality. Equality is a right not fucking biology. Fuck you. You have no right or basis to judge High School students nor their teachers.
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
In addition to dishes similar to those made with other types of pasta, macaroni and cheese is a popular dish in English-speaking countries, often made with elbow macaroni. A sweet macaroni pudding, similar to a rice pudding, is also often made.
>>
Calculus is BS anyway. Why not teach kids how to balance a check book, change a tire, or pay taxes?
>>
>>71052849

Lemme guess your a libertarian newt gingrich worshiper.

You wouldn't be shit without your school teachers bro
>>
Most my college offered was Calc 1, but there were better high schools that offered up to Calc 3 in the area.
>>
>>71053011
Because that's something your parents can teach you, or you can teach yourself with a 5 minute long youtube video.
>>
>>71052742
AP math is still dumbed-down math

We also have an "advanced" choice for math in Finland but lots of people are able to get the highest grade in the examination with very little effort.
>>
File: 1448856471854.gif (250 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1448856471854.gif
250 KB, 256x256
>>71051684
>he wasn't doing advanced riemann-stieltjes integration by the tender age of 8

You're the reason that China is beating us, senpai.
>>
>>71052963
Nice argument :^)
>>
>>71053011
i love this argument just because it lets me see who is fucking retarded. balancing a checkbook is literally just adding and subtracting. the shit you were taught in 2nd grade.

your dad should teach you how to change a tire. but if you really need a class on it most highschools actually do offer it, it is called auto shop.

and doing your taxes is quite literally just following instructions. very fucking dry, dense instructions. but you get the book, you start at page 1, and just follow instructions line by line.
>>
>>71053155

Well sorry Mr. Illuminati wannabe, not everyone is an autistic math wiz like you.

Your a proto nazi eugenic asshole and you suck!!!! Fuck off!!!
>>
http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/05/23/ssc-gives-a-graduation-speech/

TL;DR school is only marginally better than letting children roam free, and vastly more expensive.

Schools, like prisons and hospices, are part of a society-wide program to remove non-workers from public life.
>>
>>71053073
>Lemme guess your a libertarian newt gingrich worshiper.
Not even close.

>You wouldn't be shit without your school teachers bro
How did you even get to this assumption? I got to where I am because I made the conscious effort to get here.
>>
File: best_thread_award.png (71 KB, 858x454) Image search: [Google]
best_thread_award.png
71 KB, 858x454
>>71051684
>Calculus should have been taught in middle school.

if things like math and science were valued the same as sports and entertainment in general, we would identify those 5 year olds and those 11 year olds, etc., who have exceptional talent.

and we would put them with the best teachers, and we would celebrate their achievements.

but no.
>>
>>71053409

Lol your Def not voting for Bernie though...I can tell your type. The "I built that even though I'm a white man with inheritance".

Fucking proto fascist. Support Public Education for all!!
>>
>>71053011
Changing a tire, brake pads, or even changing oil is fucking easy. Replacing wheel bearings would have been a better one to use.
>>
>>71053523
>The "I built that even though I'm a white man with inheritance".
My family moved to this country 16 years ago, and my parents started out at minimum wages jobs that paid $5.50 an hour. They only go to where they are by their effort alone.
>>
>>71053497
This. You actually receive less attention if you are advanced, because they are busy helping the struggling students.
>>
>>71051787
Look up the Bell Curve.
>>
>>71053600

I woudnt know cause I actually pay an autobody shop to work on my car....

It's called contributing to the economy. Ever heard of Keynesianism? Prob not since your all Rush Limbaugh wannabes....
>>
File: elephant potato.jpg (35 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
elephant potato.jpg
35 KB, 528x960
Public high school in a upper middle class suburb in America is still top notch for the 3-7k you pay per year in property taxes to the school on your house.

Parochial school is expensive and not worth 20-40k a year.
>>
>>71051684
Homeschool is the only way. Get a private teacher or teach your kids yourself if you're not a moron.
>>
>>71053790
no sports
>>
>>71053719

Which is the way it should be. We need to helps everyone not just the rich and elite.

This really summarizes everything wrong with the right.

Lol. I might just screenshot this and show my co-workers...
>>
>went to best public high school in the state
>offered tons of AP classes
>failed academically

I almost feel bad that somebody who's actually smart wasn't in my place.
>>
>>71053497
but that happens already. gifted and talented/advanced placement programs happen at even the most hickville schools. if you were even remotely intelligent you would have some experience with these programs.
>>
>>71053784

most of the boy's names are jokes.

i love it.
>>
>>71053770
>>71053885
for a minute I almost forgot where I was.
>>
>>71053790

>Homeschooling

Lol you fell for this meme. Have fun with autistic kids who can't get laid and won't ever drink beer and make out with big boob chick at a party. Lol

Man high school was awesome...
>>
>>71052315
you're*
>>
>>71052498
This. I just went to go say thank you to all the teachers I gave a hard time to. I gave them a candy dipped apple and a personal note elaborating on my small, but applicable, achievements in life.
>>
>>71052742
>it is called Gifted and Talented until high school, then it is called Advanced Placement.
I was in the gifted program. I really didn't receive any sort of higher curriculum above that of my peers. In elementary school, we got to go to a separate classroom once a week and pretty much just fuck around. In middle school, they just threw all of the gifted students into specific honors science classes that they called "gifted", but it had the exact same curriculum as the regular honors class. Lastly, in highschool, the only reminder that I was in the gifted program was that a random administrator would go from classroom to classroom once a year just to write down the names of people in the gifted program. I did take a few AP classes, but I disliked how the format was entirely dependent on an end of the course exam.

I dunno, though, I went to shitty schools in a shitty town in Florida, which is pretty notorious for its dreadful public education system, so maybe that was the problem.
>>
>>71053881
I was a home school kid and fortunately my dad was qualified to teach me everything he knows (business). Kind've like the old days. What I did for sports was get involved with the school district anyways so that means to take one elective class at school.
>>71053995
Actually homeschooling kids can turn out just fine. Social skills can be developed on the internet, or just find a special interest group.
>>
>>71054428

>says the tiny penis having manlet posting on neo nazi message board in the mid 2010's.

Looks like your homeschooling did wonders for you!
>>
>>71053523
>>71053770
>>71053885
Confirmed for being a high school teacher.
Fuck you... I had a 3.8 GPA in private school and was on the wrestling team.

No teachers gave me any treatment even though I turned around from being a fat idiot to a fit kid who studied all the time. They spent all their time on the dumb ass kids who were always fighting and weren't interested in self betterment. The only way I could get help on my school work is if I spit on someone or started an argument.

Fucked me up in the head a bit senpai.
>>
Math is really fucking hard for me. I didn't do well in calculus, barely got through algebra. I only ever wanted to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a banker. Should I just kill myself?
>>
>>71051684
middle schoolers can't even dominate quadratic equation, imagine calculus
>>
>>71055124
no, don't let your dreams just be dreams...
>>
>>71055124
Nope.
Neuroplasticity bro.
I am 24 years old and still teaching myself advanced algebra. You have to start with the basics. When it clicks just move up a tier...

It takes time but is worth the sensation of getting it right.
>>
>>71052485
>Calculus is extremely simple

I don't know what calculus refers to exactly in English(I guess functions, limits differentials all that stuff) but it's certainly not extremely simple

Not impossible but not simple
>>
File: mmmmkay.jpg (28 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
mmmmkay.jpg
28 KB, 500x312
>>71051684

I know this is a troll post, but I just want to chime in and say that I don't think public school matters as much as people think it does. Sure, send your kid to private school and the academic rigorosity alone will be worth it for your child's IQ points, with the added benefit of the high-achieving culture private schools foster.

I grew up in the poorest school district in the state of Florida and eventually attended a 40%+ black high school. Shit was pretty dumb because I hated sitting in class going over material for weeks at a time even though I had already learned it the first time. But niggers suck at learning/are apathetic to even wanting to better themselves.

I never took a math course past algebra II because it wasn't ever offered to me. In fact, it wasn't offered to anyone, because the 3 kids who somewhat qualified for it weren't enough to justify having advanced maths. When I got out of high school I immediately joined the Army to get out of shitville and, well, my shitty, awful, disgustingly poor high school education never held me back.

Got a near perfect score on the ASVAB, ended up attending UF as a double major in two pretty serious math-heavy disciplines. On track to go to grad school at a top school in the country.

Point being, and not to be a completely pessimistic determinist, but most of our positive attributes are inherited. If you're a smart person you'll succeed regardless of your education because you'll go to a community college, take like 3 classes, catch up on what you missed out on, and progress to success.

All 6 kids in my graduating class who were worth a damn are successful people now. The niggers are still niggers. This is because things like IQ and work ethic are highly heritable. Also, Finns competing with 'Straya in shitposting olympics?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 280x280
>>71052994
>>
>>71055340
introduction to calculus (limits, derivatives integrals, Weierstrass, Lagrange, Fermat etc) is pretty simple.
Just stretch the course so the concepts will have more time to sink in a bit and you can easily teach it to middle school mathematically inclined kids.
>>
>>71051684
That shit is easy just take the integral of the shared region.

(4-x^2)^2 - (x^2-2x)^2
>>
File: motor.gif (294 KB, 630x446) Image search: [Google]
motor.gif
294 KB, 630x446
>>71051684
I am a engineer and I thought calculus was difficult enough. It can be university math because when is normal people going to use calculus? If you don't do any sort of physics (or advanced economics) then there is no reason to learn calculus.

But there should be WAY MORE statistics in school. Even normal people could benefit from learning a lot more statistics. There would be less people wasting money on gambling and people would be able to think about science stories and "statistics" in the media in a better way.
>>
>>71052706
learning topology is a waste of time if you don't intend to study math, it has no real application in the real world.
>>
>>71056102
every math subject is a waste of time if you don't intend to study math
>>
>>71056001
agreed. i didnt recieve enough statistics education, and now at the end, i wish i had more.
>>
>>71056001
...Math is applied logic. It hones your thinking skills, your ability to find the right questions to ask and to improve your ability to make logically valid and coherent statements.

Which exact mathematical branch is used to learn this is unimportant.

>gambling
>statistics

You mean probability?
>>
>>71054396
you probably got a better education than others, but you don't realize it because you werent in the slow, or regular, classrooms. if you were in the gifted program your teacher was the absolute best the school had to offer for that grade.

and seriously, if you didn't take every AP class your school offered, you probably weren't that gifted. i graduated highschool with 30 hours of college due to AP courses.

the sad part about that is i have almost degrees in physics, economics, and EIS. but i have never graduated.
>>
>>71056001
You need calculus for stats so you need calculus for any field that uses empiricism at all.
>>
>>71056001
how can anyone learn more statistics than a semester? when i went for EIS we had to take regular statistics. when i went for my economics degree i took econometrics. and when i was studying for physics they just assumed we learned statistics in 10th grade.

there is advanced shit, but you learn that in field theory classes. or linear algebra. what you should have learned in 10th grade is enough statistics to get you through just about anything.
>>
>>71058829
There's a shitton more to stats than that. They just dumb it down so econ majors are able to do it.
>>
>>71058772
no you don't need calculus for stats. it makes it easier to understand, but you can do stats with ∑ sums. in fact, i had to teach myself calculus stats because every single stat class i ever took just used sums.
>>
>>71059091
Did you not use the normal distribution at all?
>>
>>71051684
>Calculus is the highest math most high schoolers take
Not here in the land of the free. Between the federally controlled education and all the kingz and spics our lowest common denominator is quite low. With common core I doubt students will get through Algebra.
>>
Yes, it is a waste of time. Those kids should just be free to roam the streets, learn some REAL shit.
>>
>>71052498
He got his braces off.
>>
>>71059373
the normal distribution can be explained with sums. calculus really only matters when you need the 96.87596767509709th percentile.

i always felt sorry for the kids that didn't know calculus because they had no idea what was going on. the professor would shade the underside of the graph and i would get it, he was taking a sum, but alot of people didn't understand the visualization.

but still, ∑ sums have been used to do stats for hundreds of years. i am not exactly a genius, but have taken up to differential equations in pure math and topology for proofs. so i have some idea about math.
>>
>>71051903
>try teaching hyperactive middle schoolers
>try teaching nigger and spic middle schoolers
fixed
>>
File: 360px-Birkhoff120.svg.png (14 KB, 360x155) Image search: [Google]
360px-Birkhoff120.svg.png
14 KB, 360x155
I have no idea why they don't replace art classes with something more beautiful than any painting could ever be: lattice theory
>>
File: 1393984183480.jpg (25 KB, 341x339) Image search: [Google]
1393984183480.jpg
25 KB, 341x339
>>71051951
>I teach History
>>
>>71052113
Education isn't compulsory. You go to elementary school and high school because:
1. It's free
2. Your parents were brought up in a time when their parents realized that going to school meant you got a guaranteed job, and they raise you that way.
Being in high school is necessary for university, and it used to be that being in high school was just because you wanted the training to go to university - not just going to go. You don't learn life skill shit in high school because you're not there to get it. You're there to learn higher level topics to prepare you for an academic degree.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.