[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why exactly is the Geneva Convention a bad thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 605x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 605x640
Why exactly is the Geneva Convention a bad thing?
>>
>>71050610
higher taxes, lower wages
>>
>>71050610
Puts us at a disadvantage against opponents who don't adhere to it.
>>
>>71050610
I think it was a reaction to the use of Gas in WW1, now it's just for whichever side wants to try to pretend to be morally superior, against enemies who don't care or follow it.
>>
>>71050610
Praise Kek.
>>
>>71050774
the geneva convention is for traditional wars against actual countries dumbass

it doesn't apply to insurgencies.
>>
>>71050956
You are very stupid.
>>
>>71050851
But it (and the preceding Hague conventions) essentially draw from a US manual that long predates WWI.

Besides - yes, the anon saying it does not apply to insurgencies is right. Unless an insurgent wears a clearly distinguishable garb, he is not entitled to protection under these regulations.
>>
>>71051006
he is right, you gotta have an uniform and ranks to be counted as combatant have the rights of one
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 200x1497) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 200x1497
>>71051262

So we had regulations in say, the Civil War?

What about "all's fair in love and war?"
>>
>>71051472
Those regulations didn't stop Sherman and the partisans from wrecking the south.
>>
>>71050956
Tell that to cucks who keep shouting it at Trump for wanting to nuke terrorist families
>>
So when niggers chimp-out it's because socio-economic stuggles, but when Germany chimps-out it's "nationalism"

It's 2016, no time for double standards, shitlords
>>
>>71051472
True enough. The Lieber code was adopted in 1863. Didn't stop the quite brutal Phillipenes war either.

However - generally speaking - wars have been more civilized between nations that have signed the Geneva conventions.

Did that coincide with a generally different attitude due to both party thus being civilized? Sure.

So maybe call the Geneva conventions a measure of a civilized nation - which will observe the rules of war when fighting another equally civilized nation.

Just look at treatment of POWs at the Eastern and Western fronts during WWII. I suggest you can expect the Western level of treatment when two civilized nations duke it out.
>>
>>71052459
oh wait that was the Treaty of Versailles, nvm
>>
>>71052258
Right. Except, y'know, killing of families is killing civilians.

And blood feuds are best left to mountain monkies of the Balkans and Caucasus.
>>
>>71051289
Uniforms are optional. The main important parts are:

clear chain of command
no deception (i.e. dressing as the enemy)
clearly showing you're a combatant (thats why spies can be tortured for example)
goal of your group is to protect or defend your country/land/village etc.

If you're part of a local militia you're a lawful combatant

If you're part of a terrorist group, you're not
>>
Anything from Geneva that's not made of chocolate should be viewed with suspicion.
>>
>>71050610
It's not a bad thing at all, it just needs an addendum that says it only applies between signatories.
>>
>>71052912
True. I suspect my watch means to do me in.
>>
'war crime' is an oxymoron
>>
>>71050610
It is great for play war.

Of course real war that shit goes out the window, it has to or you will lose. If you think it was honored during WW2 when life was at stake think again, all sides broke it.
>>
>>71053090
It's redundant.
>>
>>71052636
>killing of families is killing civilians.

Those who harbor and provide material aid to terrorists are no longer "civilians." You don't overlook the pipe bomb factory in your son's cave.

We should wipe out the families of violent niggers, too.

>Muhammed wuz a gud boy he dindu nuffin wrong
>dem raycisses planted dat explosive vest
>>
>>71053411
Right. But he didn't say that, did he.

He implied blood relations. Not supporters.
>>
>>71052944
that's not how customary international law works.

You strive to create universal norms, and seeing how everyone one this site is against cultural relativism, that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>71053592
You don't really "strive", just that widespread acceptance + time = customary international law.

See the Kononovs v. Latvia ECHR decision for more details. Good read, desu.
>>
>>71050610
That's one rare pape

WTF
>>
>>71050610
Because it extends its protections to countries that did not sign on to it
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.