[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forgive student debt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 16
File: Choices.jpg (32 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
Choices.jpg
32 KB, 534x401
Guys, should the state forgive student loans? How do one actually forgive a student loan?
>>
>>71048150
That's a man
>>
>>71048150
I got through college with scholarships and personal savings. I graduated in 2012.

Is it really that difficult to get scholarships these days??
>>
>>71048150
Fuck that. They knew the risks of a basket gender weaving degree.
>>
So am I baby, so am I.
>>
>>71048150
Will I get a refund for having been responsible and paid off my loans?
>>
So.... are you OK with your parent's losing their pensions? Can they move in with you?
>>
No. They were legal adults who signed a contract that had in fine print how much they were borrowing, and what the interest rate would be.
>>
>>71048150
She could suck cock through that window, that would shrink the debt.
>>
No, its these idiots first taste of real life.

They didn't get tricked into taking the loans, they agreed to the terms.
>>
>>71048150
On one condition, the total elimination of federal student loans and grants.
>>
>>71048150
In this country they write off the loan after about 35 years.

However that would require earning less than 18k for those years
>>
>>71048306
YOU'RE A WHITE MALE!
>>
>>71048306
No. As with most social programs, this only applies to retards who can't function without state help.
>>
That depends.

Is it a degree that's actually useful to society? As in, was there more demand than people with degrees at time of graduation? Yes.

No? Fuck you. This debt is the hammer pointing out how retarded people are for studying women's medieval transbasket weaving.
>>
>>71048229
There are plenty of hardworkers in college, however not ever hard worker gets a scholarship
>>
oh my god stfu

EVERYONE i know that i graduated college with got a job and a good one

idk where these people are that are in so much debt or unemployed

i went to a state school too got my BS in microbiology and chemistry

my roommate who went for COMMUNICATIONS has a great job too
i just dont get it
>>
>>71048150
All debt should be forgiven and usury outlawed.
>>
>>71048378
lol
>>
>>71048521
don't most of you cucks just live in shitty flats given to you by the government while sustaining yourself through hand-outs and working the minimum amount through work placement programs to qualify for those handouts?
>>
Forgive student loans? The only way I could see this being acceptable would be if the degree they received is revoked and thus deemed null and void. Similar to having something repossesed. I am not in favour of that though, they should have to pay it all back plus interest. faggots should have gone to trade school.
>>
>>71048636
I don't think you understand just how many scholarships exist.

It was painfully easy. I almost had a completely free ride through college. You're right, I did have to work hard, but the concept and execution was pretty easy.
>>
>>71048150
>$27,000 in debt

and whose fault is that now? The state didn't make you take gender studies
>>
>>71048150
>forgive student loans
>give those students some sort of financial degree/credits as they showed their deep understanding of economics.
>>
>>71048150
You cannot forgive debt.
It's irresponsible.
Students need to get a good job and debt won't be a problem.
>>
>>71048150
>first move of your adult life
>get $27k in debt
or as we call it in Poorland 4 years of salary
>>
>>71048150
What is that? Looks like a face swap with Daniel Radcliffe on cold turkey
>>
Do people not consider costs when going to school?
Do these people assume that graduates in the last 5 decades somehow got through college without debt or having to work 2 jobs?
$27k to someone with a worthy degree should be nothing.
>help! My worthless degree isnt landing me the $300k a year job that tumblr said id have! Bail me out working class!
>>
A percentage of tuition should be covered by the state at the end of one's studies. It'd be determined by student need, level of demand for said degree, GPA earned, and number of years taken for completion.
>>
>>71048550
Lol, like cash for clunkers, which rewarded people for being irresponsible
>>
>>71048150
>only $27,000

I'd trade places with that ugly person in a second.
>>
>>71048975
>Do people not consider costs when going to school?
No.

Because they're 18, fresh out of school, never had to work a day in their life, have no real feeling for money, and have been told their future job, which they'll graduate to after college just like they graduated from highschool into college, will pay for it.

They're being lied to, to perpetuate the college scam.
>>
it was their choice to study
>>
>>71048378
>she
>>
>>71048229
Yeah. You either have to hope you submit the best essay out of 500+ applicants or just be poor as shit
>>
File: absoultly adorable.jpg (273 KB, 990x1600) Image search: [Google]
absoultly adorable.jpg
273 KB, 990x1600
>>71048909
>all loans should have 100% guaranteed return

This is a very bad idea, the creditor is just as guilty as borrower. If you give a stupid loan don't expect to ever get payed back.
>>
File: 1453768684569.jpg (62 KB, 421x834) Image search: [Google]
1453768684569.jpg
62 KB, 421x834
>>71048150

I don't know what's the problem with the student loans in the US, but how the fuck do you get $27k in debt? These people clearly don't deserve a degree
>>
>>71048150
What the fuck is that thing
>>
>>71048229
No, it's not that easy. I'm a white male in computer engineering. Try finding a fucking non minority scholarship for ms
>>
>File bankruptcy

That's it.

>Stimulus package 2 made it so that you could not declare bankruptcy on a student loan

Anyone going to college that isn't completely paid for has the opportunity to become an indentured slave or serf for life!

Who is to blame? Kids that didn't know better, parents that didn't teach better, or a knowing government that set the trap?
>>
>>71048150
No, maybe the interest but not the loan.

I didn't go, so do I get 30k cash, maybe 0 down for a mortgage valued at 30k? Why don't I get some help to launch my life? It's even worse for people like me, I'll have to pay for it through taxes.
>>
>>71048150
It's called a loan because you're expected to pay it back.

If you can't, then you've made a stupid decision by taking a loan. If we were to implement laws specifically for the purpose of forgiving stupid decisions, that would be an even stupider decision.
>>
Why should I even consider helping a student in debt who travelled for a year after graduation
>>
>>71048150
if they pay for it by dismantling the depts of education and the epa, i'm down
>>
>>71049300
That's pretty light debt for America, the norm is like $80K IIRC, with some from places like Harvard ending up with over $100K
>>
>>71048150
No but you should be able to default on them.

Maybe that way banks will think twice before giving Shanequa money to go to Liberal Cuck University to get a degree in protesting whitey.
>>
File: foorhead fat.png (62 KB, 258x257) Image search: [Google]
foorhead fat.png
62 KB, 258x257
>>71049300
>what is predatory lending

99% of people are morons, if you give them the option to fuck themselves over they generally will
>>
>>71049300
>but how the fuck do you get $27k in debt? These people clearly don't deserve a degree
That's cheap for a degree in the US. Top colleges cost $50k/yr.
>>
>>71048842
Serious question. Are you a straight white male?
>>
>>71049082
This is why I'm glad I waited until almost 30 to go to school.

>MFW joined the military
>MFW school is not only free, I get paid to go
>MFW school is the easiest thing I've done up until this point in my adult life
>MFW just got accepted into private universities due to GPA
>MFW my understanding of money means I have no debt, won't have any debt until possibly law school, and already have owned a house for 4 years.

Fuck off hippies, do it the right way or shut the fuck up. No one cares.
>>
>>71048229

These days? You're barely out of college yourself.

No, there are no scholarships for the humanities and liberal arts degrees.

That's how stupid these people are.
>>
>>71048150
No. Minirities who get good grades receive grants and scholarships so their loans are minimal. The only students who have large loans are students who had shitty grades because they didn't give a shit about doing well in school and students whose parents are too rich for them to qualify for scholarships and grants (i.e. all the white kids who support bernie sanders)
>>
>>71049450
Which whets the question:

Is it morally wrong to prey upon fools? They are prey by implied consent.
>>
>>71048842
I should also mention that I spent six years in the army as well. The only real scholarship money I got was from them
>>
File: 1453562331396.gif (2 MB, 193x200) Image search: [Google]
1453562331396.gif
2 MB, 193x200
>>71048247
>Basket gender weaving
My fucking sides
>>
People made it through school up to now... What changed?
>>
>>71048150
Canada forgives after ten years and you don't pay if you make less than $25k. http://m.calgarysun.com/2016/03/22/students-cheering-federal-budget

Canada subsidizes poor decision making.
>>
>>71048150
Unpaid student loans hurt the banks.
Do you love the banks suddenly?
The only problem here is the traitor government breaking rules and logic to save bad banks with direct gifts of tax money.
>>
>>71049017
Are you high? Do you even know what you are talking about?
>>
>>71049415
>>71049473

But still. Why don't they get a job or save up some money during their last high school years? Do they think that everything in life is dude free shit lmao?
>>
>>71048150

No, it's a horrible idea. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it's going to sow discontent because it'll be viewed as punishing people who made good decisions.

If I were poor, and scrimped to save $5,000 in my account, and the government decided that it was unfair for other people to be disadvantaged by having no savings, they might try and fix the problem by giving everyone with no savings $5,000 deposited in an account. Is it fair? Yes. Would I be furious? Hell yes.

That, and a lot of people with huge student loans borrowed more than just tuition. You can borrow thousands extra for whatever, just cash to put in your bank account to spend on housing, movies, drugs, whatever. Should that be reimbursed as general college expenses? Should everyone who goes to college get a blank check for tuition, living expenses, and an extra $5,000 a year for whatever?

No.
>>
>>71048150
>take a loan
>lol, i have to give it back?

Is it really that hard? Maybe they should study something usefull, not gender studies like bullshit.
>>
>>71049450
>college degree and a upper class lifestyle spent with coeds for 4 years
>predatory
oh yeah they really twisted my arm to send me to college
>>
I'm finishing my third year right now. I have literally never used any monetary aid.

Are people retarded? A liberal arts teacher doesn't need a degree from an Ivy League school. I learned more from community college than I have from university.
>>
>>71048452
I dunno, real life for you is different from real life to me.

We've got student loans in Norway as well, but they're extremely forgiving and any University degree is more or less free.

People take student loans to move out from their parents and start life like that.
>>
>>71049765
>Why don't they get a job or save up some money during their last high school years?
See >>71049082

It's a scam, preying on young, inexperienced people.
>>
>>71049248
This is the actual solution. Expose lenders to the risk that their borrower will default like every other loan and then allow them to filter out the retards and gender studies majors by themselves.

This is the only way to stop the regressive left from taking over
>>
$600 x 48/mo = $28.8k

If your degree doesn't give you 600/mo disposable income you're an idiot.
>>
>>71049145
More like be a minoroty or a fucking woman transgender bullshit
>>
>>71049834
Don't be racist.
>>
>>71048150
If you forgive student debt, shouldn't you forgive all Americans debt? School is not forced, its voluntary. And you will know how much is costs before you sign up. Should car debts be forgiven? House debts? I don't see how that makes sense.
>>
>I made bad decisions over bad decisions
>Someone gotta pay for it
>>
File: 1460706729796.gif (2 MB, 360x264) Image search: [Google]
1460706729796.gif
2 MB, 360x264
Expalin me 1 thing about banks. Banks take money from government with 1-2% interest rate, then loan it to people with, well, it's around 17-20% year interest here.
Why can't the government loan money directly to citizens, without enriching the commercial banks and robbing people?
>>
It seems like my student debt doesnt even move even though I'm paying over $1000 each month on it.
>>
>>71050115
That's communism, stupid. Everyone knows communism is evil!
>>
File: 1457035583923.png (140 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1457035583923.png
140 KB, 750x750
>Take out federal student loans to go to college
>Major in something with little to no social value or job prospects
>Complain about how you can't get out of debt
>Demand that your debts be forgiven
>Also demand free college

Bernibrats in a nutshell.
>>
The supply of loanable funds to artificially large because you can't default on the loans. Student loans should be treated as regular loans, meaning you should be able to default (this should only apply to new loans).
As a consequence, interest will go up and collateral might be needed, which would make the market less speculative, and reduce the number of people going to college to equilibrium, sustainable levels.
>>
>>71050115
They don't take money from the government, they take it from the Federal Reserve. They only get to do this because their last CEO is now head of the Federal Reserve.
>>
>>71049910

>It's a scam, preying on young, inexperienced people.

But before starting to study a career, you should at least do some research about the costs. If they aren't careful with their money, their adult life will be a huge pain
>>
>>71049579
I have ~$40,000 for six years. It took me so long because I worked 3 jobs for most of that. My salary is $87,000 though, so I'm not worried
>>
>Forgive student debt
No, are we done here? Can we move on? Seriously, if you're interested in debt forgiveness there are avenues that you can take, at least if you're in the U.S.
>>
>>71050327

They have no collateral. It's not like the bank can foreclose on your degree.
>>
>>71050374
They're 18 years old. Not even allowed to drink yet, but allowed to make the biggest decision of their life so far, by a huge margin, while everyone and everything around tells them if they don't sign and go, they'll forever live in shit. But what everyone around doesn't tell them is that if they don't take an employable major, they'll be in the shit anyways.
>>
>>71048329
I'm sort of planning on that when I have kids in 3 or 4 years.

You realize this was a very common practice back in the day. Grandparents wouldn't often live with their families and help raise the children and take care of the house. Free daycare/maid service. It also helps save retirement money instead of wasting it all on retirement homes.

My mom already said if I get my wife preggers she'll retire early to help out. It's nice being from a family with traditional values.
>>
>>71048378
IF SHE WOULD ONLY SUCK A MILLION COCKS AT $1 EACH, SHE COULD BE A MILLIONAIRE.
>>
>>71048150

>sign up for college/uni
>overlook pricetag thinking "Golly! I'm going to make $50k/year after graduation, so cost is no big deal!
>finish useless course
>find nobody hires you due to not having employable skills
>expect someone else to pay for you because you made dumb decisions

Nope. You're an adult now. You can pay for adult things.

As a side note though, I do believe a lot of people are rushed into going to college/uni. A lot young adults would be better off finding a full-time job, and working that for a couple of years first. That way they get a taste of the real world, and have some cash in the bank for living expenses once they finally proceed to higher education.
>>
>>71049765
Working in high school will earn you maybe $8/hr. Say 10-15 hours a week is $120 and then after taxes it'll be around $90. Say you work the entire year, that's somewhere around $4,000. Not even enough to pay for one semester at state school
>>
>>71050115
Banks don't borrow from the government. Typically a central bank is a private entity. In fact it is usually the other way around, with the government borrowing from the Fed when the Fed buys Treasury bonds on the open market.
>>
>>71050540

>But what everyone around doesn't tell them is that if they don't take an employable major, they'll be in the shit anyways.

No, they're told all the time. They just do it anyway and then bitch about it later.
>>
>>71050440

The universities could be forced to revoke the degree of those who default, like they do for people who are found to have plagiarised years later...
>>
>>71050440
I'm saying maybe some other form of collateral. Not sure what could be done through, it would probably just be higher interest rates.
>>
>>71049989
What's racist about it? That's called growing up.
>>
>>71050718

But that gives back no value to the people loaning the money. This is why the law was passed so people can't default on it: What they're getting loans to get has no material value which means the risk is extremely high.
>>
>>71050540

>But what everyone around doesn't tell them is that if they don't take an employable major, they'll be in the shit anyways.

Most people do, but they still go and take some bullshit such as Gender Studies.
>>
>>71048150
Maybe they should have did something useful rather than English lit
>>
>>71050731

A better system would be to dump this and have the states give full rides for students going into high priority fields for that state (ie. if a state needs more engineers they pay for the tuition of engineering students). If there is a lesser need they get a discount. If there is no need then the students are on their own.
>>
File: 1459145613603.jpg (2 MB, 3264x4928) Image search: [Google]
1459145613603.jpg
2 MB, 3264x4928
>tfw you have a job thanks to your degree and you're slowly paying off your debt
>>
>>71050664
>>71050973
Not what people say in general, but what people around them say.

At that time, they're still living in their calm little bubble of family and friends, who usually don't have a clue on what to do either.
>>
>>71048226
I thought it was just a really big pink Floyd fan
>>
My gf is butthurt over having to pay $30 after interest because she went to cosmetology school and makes minimum wage.

My family has been in debt all my life when I was growing up and college to me never seemed fesible because I'm the one who would to prefer pay cash upfront rather than relying on the government to subsidize the already overpriced tuition that these campuses set. I ended up homeless during my senoir year in HS and throughout the majority of my "best years"and i still don't have a GED or a career goal/dream in my 30s. I may never have a job that nets me north of $20k annually, but that's alright because I can't get into education based debt and I'm far too old to start at the absolute bottom.
>>
>>71048378
Her face makes my cock shrink so I don't think that's a viable option for her.
>>
>>71051618
Don't know how I fucked that one up. I meant $30k in the first part of that post.
>>
>>71051618
Isn't trade school an option at least?
Alternatively, picking up skills from home?
>>
Start sucking and fucking for 200$ an hour should be paid off in a year.
>>
>>71051915
I don't think that's legal in most of the US. Even so, most prostitutes can't charge that much. Especially not that ugly cunt.
>>
I made stupid choices with credit cards when I was in my mid 20's, can i get that debt forgiven?
>>
>>71051105
yfw in the trump general right now they are insisting america is broken and all this debt is unfair. its the end of america. america is destroyed. they claim everyone in the nation agrees with them.
>>
>>71052336
declare bankruptcy like trump does when he fucks up hard with dads money
>>
>>71048150
>bragging about your debt
Why are millennials such degenerates?
>>
>>71049827
This guy gets it. Those loans paid for 4+ years of their lives at a high standard of living, it should take at least that long to pay off if their current income wouldn't even support that lifestle
>>
File: absolutely haraam.jpg (213 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
absolutely haraam.jpg
213 KB, 730x1095
IF

a student kills a nigger all of their debts are transfered back to their alma mater that issued them. They also have to public denounce their degree and everything it purported to teach.
>>
>>71048150
>How do one actually forgive a student loan?

move one set of numbers to the set of numbers that include the federal deficit

then keep acting like the numbers aren't completely imaginary
>>
>>71048229
I graduated last year and had multiple scholarships. They're piss easy even for me being a white male CS student.

There is literally no reason to go into debt if you go to college.
>>
>studying social science
>no tuition, zero debt (though I could take it and get 30% shaved off from it if I graduate in time), government pays me to study

Yet this degree still has better job prospects than the ICT engineering I studied in polytechnic for a year before getting in uni. Feels nice living in bizarro world.
>>
>>71048229
This. Straight male Asian, got paid to go to university, net surplus of $11500 after every and all expenses for 4 years.
>>
>>71050210
How much is it increasing through interest every month?
>>
Had 70k debt and paid $750 a month and got it down to 60k in 4 years.
>>
>>71048150
>Guys, should the state forgive student loans?
No, we should stop supporting self induced poverty. Student loans are an excellent litmus test to weed out those that will inevitably fail at life.

>How do one actually forgive a student loan?
Force taxpayers to pay it back, while the useless idiot with the gender studies degree collects a welfare check.
>>
>>71048150
If she had people pay to punch that face through the hole she would.get out of debt fast.
>>
>>71048306
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
>>
File: 1433984284572.jpg (217 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1433984284572.jpg
217 KB, 960x720
>>71053849
Shit man i got a full ride and work some school jobs during the summer and intern now making like takehome paid from uni 7k for the full year. But that was work, did you have to do research to get that surplus? If not how?
>>
>>71049248
>the creditor is just as guilty as borrower.
The problem in the most western countries is that the creditor is the taxpayer, that has no say in which loan requests will be funded. This is why governments need to be removed from the education system.
>>
>>71049347
YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE

Stop oppressing minorities with your existence, check your privilege, and stop believing that your success is a product of your own efforts. You didn't build that, shitord.
>>
>>71054453
Holy shit man $36000 fucking dollars to eliminate 10k of your total debt? You willingly went to some fucky private school to get some pretentious degree instead of going to cc then transfering to public uni and now you have this to show for it?
JUST
>>
File: image.gif (198 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
198 KB, 500x500
>>71055811
Fuck off, you stupid nigger. My success is built on the fact that I've worked hard my entire life to get everything I have. Nothing has ever been given to me. I've never accepted anything that I haven't earned. You need to check YOUR privilege before accusing hardworking people of being welfare whores like yourself.

/baitTaken
>>
>>71056189
>he actually believes this
lol
>>
>cant afford college
>go co college
>complain that you're poor and cant afford college
>"OMG u poor thing, let me give you sympathy and demand something somewhere changes for you"

>cant afford fancy car
>buy it anyway
>complain you're in debt
>"Well you shouldn't have bought that car"
>>
File: image.gif (949 KB, 155x173) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
949 KB, 155x173
>>71056304
Obviously it was bait, niggnog
>>
>>71048150
they are not students. real students know math. and they know when they can and cant pay for something.
>>
>>71050731
It would be higher interest rates. This is a good thing. We have people who are genuinely below average students going to college and shitting up the place. At most 15% of people should go to college.
>>
>>71052412
Do you know the difference between chapter 7 and chapter 11?
>>
>>71052336
Forgiven? probably not, but it may just be worth it financially to declare bankruptcy. Your credit rating will be absolute shit for a long time but the immediate debt may be wiped out or at least greatly reduced.
>>
>>71049041
110k in student loans

> come at be bro
>>
>>71048150
>27k in debt
What degree did she go after?
>>
File: carlcurrentyear.gif (410 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
carlcurrentyear.gif
410 KB, 222x227
>>71048150

>hi, i voluntarily decided to take out large loans in order finance an education towards a degree

>i fucked around in school (did more sex and partying than actually studying), pursued a useless degree (art, female studies, etc those memes), and now I don't make a lot of money

>your tax dollars should make my problems go away
>>
File: 1455318554731.jpg (63 KB, 300x320) Image search: [Google]
1455318554731.jpg
63 KB, 300x320
I moved abroad and chose to pursue a degree so as to avoid colossal student debt. Forgiving student debt for those who weren't smart enough to follow in my footsteps would be a gigantic kick in the teeth and I would investigate my legal options should such a thing occur. Under no circumstances should student debt ever be forgiven.
>>
>>71057808
>She
What degree do you think she went after ?
>>
>>71053330

Yeah, when I was in college, they were practically begging me to borrow more. Just like, FYI, we can totally get you a check for $3,000, any time you want, just let us know.

I didn't take it, and I don't feel like paying for the people who did, even if it does only cost me $100.
>>
fuck them, they willingly took the loan and spent the money on whatever they wanted, why should anyone else pay for it now?
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.