[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Washington, D.C. to become the 51th state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: Change.jpg (1 MB, 3600x2396) Image search: [Google]
Change.jpg
1 MB, 3600x2396
D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser on Friday called for a citywide vote in November to make the nation’s capital the 51st state, resurrecting a decades-old plan to put the issue before Congress and to raise awareness across the country about District residents’ lack of full citizenship.

>“I propose we take another bold step toward democracy in the District of Columbia,” Bowser told a breakfast of hundreds of city residents, Democratic members of Congress and civil rights leaders marking the city’s anniversary of emancipation from slavery.

>“It’s going to require that we send a bold message to the Congress and the rest of the country, that we demand not only a vote in the House of Representatives. We demand two senators — the full rights of citizenship in this great nation,” Bowser said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-mayor-calls-for-citywide-vote-to-make-nations-capital-the-51st-state/2016/04/15/d093a07c-028f-11e6-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html?tid=sm_fb

It this good?
>>
>>71045190
No, they're all liberals. It's going to fuck the senate up.
>>
>>71045681
>No, they're all dindus.
FTFY
>>
D.C. here.

We're literally 100% cuckolded by the federal government. Most people don't realize that. To put it in perspective, whenever there's a "shutdown" over budget disagreements, the "city" shuts down too and doesn't collect trash or plow the streets.

It's not happening. You could have 99% of the vote in favor of statehood and Congress won't even consider allowing it to happen.
>>
>>71045190
Isn't Washington already a state? Or are they trying to make the city a state. I am very ignorant of burgerland
>>
Why was it felt that they should not have these voting rights?.

to limit federal government/capitol politicking?
>>
>>71046021
Actually D.C. is quite gentrified and is mostly white. There's still some ungentrified areas in SE but for the most part, the dindus have been pushed into Maryland.
>>
>>71046142
Washington, DC is not the state of Washington.
>>
>>71046049
>You could have 99% of the vote in favor of statehood and Congress won't even consider allowing it to happen.

This. The Constitution doesn't give a shit what percentage of DC votes for statehood, it still has to be approved by Congress which has time and time again told DC it's never going to happen. Maybe when all the residential areas are fully gentrified those areas can merge into VA or MD but neither state wants to take on more ghettos so that will be a while.
>>
>>71046142
There's a Washington state, but our nation's capital is located in a special federal district called Washington, District of Columbia. It's not a state, but a city that's entirely controlled by the federal government where the White House and US Capitol are located.
>>
>>71046142
We have a state called Washington on the west coast, and a district called Washington D.C. (District of Columbia) on the east coast. Washington D.C. is our nation's capital and where our federal government resides.
>>
>>71046142
Washington state is on the other side of the country.

Washington D.C is the district where the governmental shit is. Its not under any one state.. Like Virginia which is right next to D.C.

I think?
>>
>>71046282
>>71046172
Ah right thanks lads
>>
>>71046152
They wanted it to be neutral territory controlled by no state so no one state could hold the federal government hostage.
>>
>>71045190
Will never happen.

DC is full on liberal. Literal infestation.

Certain areas, especially the South East, would basically mean that no Conservative/Republican would ever win.
>>
>>71045190
Please help me understand this obsession with domestic American politics that foreigners on /pol/ seem to have. Or are you an American using a VPN? Nothing wrong with it of course, I just don't understand the interest.
>>
File: d_c_cab_poster_01.jpg (1 MB, 1994x3000) Image search: [Google]
d_c_cab_poster_01.jpg
1 MB, 1994x3000
>>71046329
It's a fun city to take a cab in.
>>
>>71046244
I could definitely see the federal government allowing VA and MD to annex DC. There's so many critical federal government offices, such as the Pentagon, that are located in VA and MD already.
>>
File: yourcountryisinanothercastle.png (389 KB, 838x612) Image search: [Google]
yourcountryisinanothercastle.png
389 KB, 838x612
>>71045190
>Bowser
>>
>>71045190
>It this good?
49% black.

Does that answer the question?
>>
>>71046329
BUILD WALL
>>
>>71045190
I don't think they can form a state within the boundary of another state
>>
File: 1458883712618.jpg (59 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458883712618.jpg
59 KB, 768x1024
>>71045190
wait who benefits from keeping it the way it is right now?
like whats the main issue?
>>
They have a point and I like that their license plates say "taxation without representation."

That said, I hope the measure fails. We don't need another majority-black liberal shithole with full privileges and responsibilities. Can you imagine the Congressmen from D.C.? It would be awful.
>>
>ruining the nice even 50
If we're going to change the number of states, it's going to a multiple of 10, preferably 100.
>>
those fuckers tried to get maryland to pay their taxes. let them be a state for all i care
>>
File: Men's weekend attire 2.jpg (2 MB, 2818x1408) Image search: [Google]
Men's weekend attire 2.jpg
2 MB, 2818x1408
>>71046534
D.C. isn't in a state, it's a federal district.

>>71046301
correct

>>71046152
They have a legitimate rub, which is that D.C. residents pay federal taxes but they aren't represented in the House or Senate. They have a Congressional delegate, but they can't vote so it's completely pointless.

What the statehood people want is recognition as a U.S. state, which is silly because it wouldn't change anything really.
>>
D.C. IS THE INTERNATIONAL GOVERNMENT, IT IS NOT A PART OF THE U.S., DO NOT BE FOOLED, D.C. IS A MANIFESTATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL BANKERS TO PERSUADE THE PEOPLE INTO GIVING AUTHORITY TO A SUPPOSED ENETITY OF SAID AUTHORITY, IT IS ANYTHING BUT. IN 1871 D.C. WAS REORGANIZED AS A REPRESENTATION OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, IN THAT, THE LAWS PASSED IN D.C. APPLIED ON IN D.C., INSOFAR AS THAT JURISDICTION WAS RESTRICTED TO D.C. THAT IS, D.C. JURISDICTION WAS FLEXIBLE TO THE EXTENT THAT IT WAS ONLY "SUPPOSED" TO GOVERN ITSELF, HOWEVER, IN SWEARING FEALTY TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, THE STATES ARE SWEARING FEALTY TO D.C., WHICH IS, THE CREATION OF THE BANK OF ENGLAND AND THE VATICAN. AMERICA HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY THE FOREIGN ENTITIES WHICH DROVE ITS ORIGINAL CITIZENS TO ITS CONTRUCTION. AMERICA IS NOT FREE, IN FACT, IT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST. YOU LIVE IN THE CORPORATE FICTIONAL SYSTEM KNOW AS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, YOU ARE NOT EVEN A PERSON.
>>
>>71046543
They just want more political control. Statehood won't really change anything. They're 100% controlled by the federal government and they think statehood will give them more power.
>>
They do have a legit beef with having to pay federal taxes without a vote eligible rep.

But no chance the Republicans would ever allow it to become a state. Barring a massive decade/century long demographic shift, it would be a full blue blood state.

A lot depends on how much DC continues to gentrify. The southeast is a literal shit-hole like Detroit. Filled with dindus.
>>
>>71046948
Maniacal, cruise control aside, he's mostly right.
>>
>>71047195
The democrats won't allow it either. A Congressman or Senator isn't going to cede power.
>>
>>71046948
I'LL TYPE IN ALL CAPS THIS WAY PEOPLE CAN TELL I'M TOTALLY NOT JUST A FUCKING LUNATIC
>>
>>71046152
they didn't want the government to be overtly beholden to some state's interest.

The federal government was intended to be a small centralized power holding together a bunch of semi-independent states. But then the constitution got amended, and we had a bunch of shitty marxists on our supreme court, and now we're where we are today.

States' rights mean nothing anymore, so honestly it wouldn't make a difference if DC was a state.
>>
>>71047747
>States' rights mean nothing anymore, so honestly it wouldn't make a difference if DC was a state.

This.

Also, the downtown government area would probably have to remain independent in some way. No way are the government parts of DC going to be held potentially hostage to state budget cuts or shutdowns.
>>
>>71045190
>be dumb masculine sheboon nigger politician
>don't even know your own constitution
>>
Isn't there something about the head of the federal government not being allowed to be in a state but has to be separate?
>>
>>71046049
>Implying a city shut down isn't encouraging congress to hurry up and pass something
>>
>>71045190
>It this good?

>Giving a majority black place statehood
You must be out of your mind to think even question if this is good.
>>
>>71045190
Its not going to happen because the Constitution says the capital is supposed to be its own land.
>>
>>71045190
Another thing: the federal government can't even be fucked to give WMATA money to maintain the Metro system (Brotip: this is the system their staffers use to get to work). There is no way Congress will allow DC statehood.
>>
It makes sense to me that a federation has a federal district. Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, Australia and lots of other federations have them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_district

If their residents want statehood, they are free to move to the neighboring states.
>>
>>71050473
Well, our "federal district" is a state, so it works in either direction.
But I can see the concern about changing the system now.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.