[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greek philosophy was a product of Persian colonization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14
File: Reza Jorjani.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Reza Jorjani.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjg4Q-mCZg
>>
>>71033944
WE
>>
>>71033944
Persian philosophy was just an elaboration of already existing indian philosophy.
>>
>>71034093
>Indian philosphy
You mean Vedic philosphy? Well Zoroastrianism is a Vedic religion.
>>
File: jew.jpg (12 KB, 208x243) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
12 KB, 208x243
>>71033944
they cant keep getting away with this
>>
>Zaratas, and much later, Clement of Alexandria also said that Pythagoras was an ardent pupil of Zoroaster the Persian Magus.

>Ironically, Colotes accused Plato of plagiarizing Zoroaster,*[44]*[45] and Heraclides Ponticus wrote a text titled Zoroaster based on (what the author considered) “Zoroastrian”philosophy

>Firstly, Heraclides' interest in eastern wisdom was something he had in common with other members of the Academy. Eudoxus and Aristotle in particular are said to have made a study of Zoroastrian beliefs

>The major antecedent for such a syncretism was offered by the tradition according to which Democritus was a pupil of Ostanes, Xerxes' Magus during the Persian invasion of Greece
>>
>>71033944
Source: My ass
>>
File: 1920px-Presocratic_graph.svg.png (175 KB, 1920x999) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Presocratic_graph.svg.png
175 KB, 1920x999
>>71033944
Persian philosophers indeed influenced Greek philosophers, and Greek philosophers were influential to the Persian ones.
However, known philosophers in Greece predate any known cultural exchange between my people and Persians for several centuries.
>>
File: 1.jpg (110 KB, 571x381) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
110 KB, 571x381
>>71034819
don't take my word for it.

https://books.google.nl/books/about/A_History_of_Greek_Philosophy_Volume_1_T.html?id=ogUR3V9wbbIC&redir_esc=y
>>
>>71033982
WUZ
>>
>>71035060
>Thales himself lived long, and Herodotus presents him as being with Croesus when that Lydian king fought against Cyrus ... opportunities to meet and converse with Iranian magi

https://books.google.nl/books?id=Y3sfAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA154&dq=thales+zoroastrian&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVus76gZHMAhXoYpoKHRevBcgQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=thales%20zoroastrian&f=false
>>
File: 2.jpg (104 KB, 417x450) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
104 KB, 417x450
>>71035567
Continued...
>>
>>71035567
Thales was born in 624 BC, Cyrus didn't reign back then. I'm not denying that there was surely a cultural exchange between our people, however our knowledge is limited about any pre Thales philosophers from Persia.
I got to go friend, see you around.
>>
>"Leonidas was African!"

>"Xerxes was actually a Neanderthal invading from primitive northern lands!"

Rewritting history is real

In school we learned about Mao death marching his own people across the land killing and raping every village that offer to help or betrayed him to the government and the next decade over collecting rice from regions he had poor control over until to many of them were dead to resist in the future.

Now my nephew is learning how the Chinese modernized and drove out corruption in a civil war that was over quickly and jumps straight ahead to the 80's and it opening up to the world.
>>
>>71035884
>pre Thales philosophers
I assumed from your graph that you thought of Thales being the father of all Greek philosphy,
>>
Greek civilization bred innovators just the same as the Persians did, the difference being their land was conquered by barbarians who plunged us into a dark age, followed shortly after by the friendly and diplomatic Mongols who invoked scientific creativity!
Much of it is not WE WUZ, more so two great titans, one overshadowed because of its proximity to goatfuckers.
>>
>>71036030
But this isn't rewrting history, it is well sourced by western academia.
>>
>>71036409

Higher thought originated separately all over the world and before written language so it can't ever be sourced.

While it's safe to say most things about Eurasian civilization started in Mesopotamia, trying to argue that Greek Philosophy was a product/influenced/copied from Persia is an outright lie at worst and can never be proved at best

What is known is that the Greeks were the first to make a career out of writing it a influence they inherited from Minoa and arguable Pheonocia if you wanna go back further but certainly not Persia
>>
File: 3.jpg (73 KB, 279x401) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
73 KB, 279x401
The Greeks thought Persian science was some kind of fucking magic, I'm not even joking.
>>
File: ancient greece.jpg (2 MB, 3697x2414) Image search: [Google]
ancient greece.jpg
2 MB, 3697x2414
Name three Persian philosophers as good as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
>>
>>71033944
Yes they have exchanges whit persians and egyptians, but Greeks thinkers were original and unprecedented.

>a product of Persian colonization
Put in this way is ridiculous
>>
Iran deserves a lot of credit for western civilisation's achievements, but unfortunately they were plagued by Islam, meaning they themselves will never recognise or resonate with their contribution.

I guess it's the same as Anatolia. Islam breed an inherent distaste for these peoples' own heritage.
>>
File: 5.jpg (114 KB, 476x429) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
114 KB, 476x429
>>71036709
>Greek Philosophy was a product/influenced/copied from Persia is an outright lie at worst and can never be proved at best
Lol ok.
>>
>>71036979
Rhases and Avicenna come to mind, not to mention some of the most powerful poetic minds, like Hafez, Ferdowsi, Rumi, Sa'adi.
See: >>71037215
I agree with him. Stop listening to baiters like the guy OP posted, enjoy the fruit of both civilizations.
>>
>>71036979
dj khaled
dj khaled
dj khaled
and another one: dj khaled
>>
>>71037337

>Zoroastrian influenced the Abrahamic religions including Christianity and therefore Western philosophy

The hell? That's like saying China influenced Rome because they wore Silk.

Persia influenced a religion that was a subject of a Philosophic school they had nothing to do with.
>>
Wow we might just as well stop saying Greek philosophy now.
>>
>>71037215
By the way, the fact that Persia contributed to Greek philosophy and innovation (and vice versa) doesn't mean that it was a product of Persian colorization. All it takes is to see the timelines of influence the cultures had and how they interacted throughout them. Greek philosophy predates Greco-Persian interaction and has existed in various forms since Mycenaean Greece. Its development also outdates the two nations' interaction. Various schools of thought were in fact developed during the Roman Ages. See Plotinus for example.

Per chance, are you the Dutch guy that almost daily tries to discredit Greece one way or another? I'm not sure if it's one person or more, but I'm noticing a pattern and I can't explain what agenda you may be having.
>>
>>71036979
Ostanes, Zoraster and Hystapes.
>>
>>71037670
But why people would pay shills to make threads on pol to discredit greece?
>>
>>71037884
Not so much a calculated and conniving effort, so much as a massive cultural shift due to decades of "subtle" brainwashing to demoralize the youth to oust the "evil tradition" that make nations great. Any pride in the nation must be stripped because we are all equal or some bullshit.
>>
>>71034261
>>71034093
>>71033944
All correct.

Hence why it needs to be learned.
>>
>>71037670
>Per chance, are you the Dutch guy that almost daily tries to discredit Greece one way or another?
No I am not that guy.

I was trolling with this thread desu senpai.
>>
>>71033944
a) BULLSHIT
b) The Persian rulling class was White anyways
>>
>>71039222
WE WUZ PERSIANS
>>
File: 6.jpg (180 KB, 495x510) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
180 KB, 495x510
>>71039222
It's not bullshit ( but the OP title was obvious bait) Persians did influence Greek thought.

https://www.mcgill.ca/classics/files/classics/2008-9-06.pdf
>>
File: 2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
>he thinks that ancient Greece is the modern West
>he thinks that ancient Persia is the modern East

Broadly applying modern political connotations to the ancient world is dangerous as fuck.

Ancient Persia was in many ways more advanced than ancient Greece. Just because we use Greek pillars in our buildings and we name bugs Greek names doesn't mean they're the enemy. The better analogy is France and England during the Napoleonic wars, with America acting as the eventual Pelopnnesian League.

Don't fall for the 300 meme.
>>
File: jews_win.jpg (64 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
jews_win.jpg
64 KB, 600x589
Just here to say that the Greeks, the progenitors of "Western Civilization" went into a dark age without written language until they began trading with the Phoenicians.
>>
>>71040060
DAS RITE
>>
>>71033944
persians were a product of indo-europeans

WE
>>
>>71040060
I'm not sure what you're getting into. No one ever said the world doesn't awe a lot to Semitic people. There was a lot of interaction between the Hellenistic world and Phoenicians, Egyptians and Jews.

Just because Mohamed and a bunch of camel-riding barbarians made the once proud Eastern civilization a shadow of its former self doesn't mean it had always been what it is today.
>>
File: x-files-mulder.jpg (26 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
x-files-mulder.jpg
26 KB, 1024x768
>>71033944
Oh my god, this can't be? Two civilizations that traded and conquered each other numerous times thousands of years ago have something in common somewhere? Say it ain't so? Woah. Mind blowing shit right here.
>>
>>71033944
Persian philosophy was essentially inseparable from its theology, so this is in a sense very misleading
>>
>>71036709
Yeah, there was cultural exchange between the Persians and Greek though, in their art and such, but the Greeks innovated their own path so they don't need to be like
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.