[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an atheist. I think the idea of God, of heaven and hell,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: get out of my face.jpg (75 KB, 498x742) Image search: [Google]
get out of my face.jpg
75 KB, 498x742
I'm an atheist. I think the idea of God, of heaven and hell, and anything besides what science can show us now, is preposterous. However, I firmly believe I'm one of the few smart atheists out there. The rest are idiots and degenerates along with jews, muslims, and the other ilk. For this reason, I try to spread the word of God. Christianity, at its roots, actually preaches some pretty good shit. I believe if I can turn some degenerate atheists, jews, muslims, whatever, into good Christians, I'll be doing something good.

Anybody else in the same boat?
>>
File: 1460560220970.jpg (8 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
1460560220970.jpg
8 KB, 257x196
>the universe exists for no reason other than cause and effect
>>
File: 6546.png (35 KB, 700x788) Image search: [Google]
6546.png
35 KB, 700x788
Perspective
>>
>>70993296
this
i'm tired of atheists thinking science is on their side. there wasn't a single notable atheist scientist throughout history that had made a worthwhile contribution to science
>>
>>70993879
Exactly, Einstein, Hawking and Sagan all believe in a God of some sort. The fact that atheists think hat all believers believe in an old man in the sky is pathetic and literally the basis of their arguments.
>>
>>70993879

>science

>"on" a "side"

another fine produmct of the american edumaction system
>>
>>70993879
>>70994132
Sometimes I forget /pol/ really is just another echo chamber when it comes to topics like these
>>
>>70993879

also
>ad hom

velly velly nice
you get a cookie
>>
File: 1428268218239.jpg (751 KB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
1428268218239.jpg
751 KB, 2400x1800
>>70993175
>the universe exists for a reason other than cause and effect
>>
>>70994278
Saying science is not on their side does not imply that science is on any side.
>>
File: 0000000000000000000.jpg (50 KB, 1174x500) Image search: [Google]
0000000000000000000.jpg
50 KB, 1174x500
>>70993028
are you some kind of apostate ?
>>
>>70994132
>>70994278
>>70994339
>>70994344

newton (arguably the greatest scientist who lived so far), leibniz (discovered calculus), lavoisier (father of chemistry), mendel (father of genetics), faraday, tesla, bohr, etc. the list goes on. atheists need to stfu about "muh science" when they discuss the topic
>>
>>70994339
The only reason anyone comes here is to validate their own opinions.
>>
>>70994382
this is disgusting

I want my hair

I want my shit

I want my sweat

This is like looking at plastic. Unnatural.
>>
buddhism is the most based.
atheists believe in free will.. they are the next gen of degen. de/next/generacy if you will....
>>
>>70993028
Same here
I'm a gay atheist and I'd rather be surrounded by Christian folk than Muslims, Jews, atheists, and especially other gays.
>>
>>70993028
Jeez another
>"i'm a cuck and proud of it"
thread.

These are undoubtedly made by christians that want to circle jerk eachother.

Fundamentalists overstepped their place, and other christians backed them up.... that's what gave rise to dawkins and the new atheist movement.

You all backed the wrong horse and dawkins raped your asses for it.
>>
File: Leaf.png (49 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Leaf.png
49 KB, 1152x648
>>70994535
>>
>>70993028
To be fair. I think, from a rational perspective, it is very difficult to believe that the universe exists for no reason at all.

Especially when you begin to understand the sheer complexity and improbability of it all.

There is a reason Fermi's paradox exists. It is quite a "miracle" that anything exists at all.

With that said, I don't think you should pretend to be a theist because you hate degeneracy(though I'm largely in the same boat as you).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fR1vSxNEQ
>>
>>70994840
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzFr4lM-lc
bye, cuck
>>
If I'm wrong nothing changes, if your wrong have fun roasting in hell for eternity.
>>
>>70994382
look its the part of a dea agent that got penetrated by their faggot fathers every day of their youth...
>>
>>70994982
what's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>70995011
Senpai
I wouldn't be after a true relationship then
Id just be doing it to escape a punishment and it wouldn't be genuine

And if god is all knowing he'd see through that shit and send me to hell anyways
>>
>>70993879
Why does science has to be on a side?
God----a human imagination
Bible----a book written by human thousands of years ago
Christianity----literately a believe system that's practiced by certain region, applied to certain region and race just like any other religion
heaven----people didn't know earth was round so they point up and say there's palace on sky
Hell----people didn't know what's under the ground so they wrote that bad people suffer in there so scare off criminals and degenerates
Faith----just a chill in people's mind. Same as déjàvu. You claim it's miracle and unexplainable but in reality it's just tricks in your brain
Science----gathering of facts and evidences. Explain most things around us and make more useful. Question and challenge unexplained

There's no way an iq above 90 educated adult could be religious
>>
>>70994840
>Jeez another
>>"i'm a cuck and proud of it"
>thread.
Well, no. I never implied anything of the sort. In fact, I view cuckoldry as one of the most disgraceful things a man can do to both himself and his ancestors. I'm also, through and through, an atheist. Why is it so hard for you to wrap your head around that? That an atheist can support Christians?
>>
File: Leaf.png (67 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Leaf.png
67 KB, 1152x648
>>70994982
>>
no. you're an idiot. atheists are humanitarians and do not need god to be good.
>>
I don't know why you guys think that science is the be all end all of knowledge and truth. Science can't prove that George Bush is a former president or that rape is evil. If you believe that science is the only way to know the truth then I'll ask you to prove that sentiment with scientific evidence.
>>
>>70995176
Supporting christians is different than lying.

Why are you lying? According to you, you think so highly of yourself that you're the only one who can handle the truth. How euphoric you must be.

The real reason is probably that you're afraid of the immediate social consequences of being honest about your beliefs.
>>
>>70995280
There is no good without god. There is only largely irrational sentiments.

Go educate yourself.

>>
File: 1438287239595.jpg (97 KB, 1502x1000) Image search: [Google]
1438287239595.jpg
97 KB, 1502x1000
>>70993028
Let me ask you a hypothetical OP and all in this thread that wishes to answer it. Since it is hypothetical allow me to set it up. Let us assume that an afterlife has been proven real, a good glorious afterlife. This information is undeniable to anyone. It is as solid as 2+2=4

Let us further assume that not only is an afterlife real but that everyone except suicides, that dies goes to it.

How do you think the world would change but more importantly how do you think you would change?

Pic totally for attention because I want as many people to answer as possible...I'm doing a study.

And if you do answer, please be kind and tell me if you are religious or not. Thank you.
>>
>>70995280

Can confirm, secular humanism ftw :)
>>
>>70995436
>Wrong video...

This one is the "Poison of Subjectivism".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgcd6jvsCFs
>>
>Christianity, at its roots, actually preaches some pretty good shit.

Can you name some examples? I can list tons of atrocities throughout history carried out in the name of Christianity.

Christfags were killing each other until recent times over whose idea of God is the correct one.

I'm not an atheist; I am an anti-theist. I am actively opposed to theism. There is absolutely nothing in our observable reality that supports the existence of any deity.
>>
>>70995558
>Let us further assume that not only is an afterlife real but that everyone except suicides, that dies goes to it.

The best thing to do would be to kill everyone
>>
>>70995162
>Why does science has to be on a side?
we all know that atheists think that science is on their side. you're just feigning ignorance. every fucking atheist says something about how they "only belief in ssceince!!!1!" in these discussions. even OP mentions "science" in the name of "atheism"
>>
>>70995368
Science explains everything anon, the way you use science is like some weird occult thing when in reality science is just how reality works.
>>
>>70995710
ok, not being snarky. But how do you propose to do this?
>>
>>70995736

Broof?

>inb4 assertions
>>
>>70995736
>Science explains everything anon

I just gave two examples of things that can't be proven by science.
>>
>>70995827
Run for president, provoke war with russia and china
>>
>>70995846
Everything you see around you can be explained by science.
>>
>>70995593
Secular-humanism is a joke. It is moral-relativism. It is just opinion, based on arbitrary values(usually the desire to preserve life at all costs, even though it rarely consistently applies its own logic). And for the most part, secular-humanism necessitates a form of slavery. Since it is merely a form of materialism.
>>
>>70995162
>135 IQ & Catholic
Ask me anything.
>>
>>70995891
There is no good nor evil thats just abstract concepts made by our emotions and thus not truely logical. Science can also predict presidential elections but the equations hurt my head.
>>
>>70995558
A large number of people would keep living as they have been because they would still be too scared to tackle the concept of eternity.
Some would argue that since pretty much everyone can get into heaven, there's no reason to be good or bad, so just live how you want. I mean, that's already a thing, but I'm sure there'd be more of them in your scenario.
There'd also be quite a few people like >70995710 who would kill people just to send them to this glorious, perfect place.

Most of all, I expect there to be war. Now with 100% undeniable proof that there is A god, folks would be even more antsy about WHICH god is real. The best way to settle this dispute is how man settles every dispute. Hitting each other.
>>
>>70996002

I bet science can prove your mental deficiency.
>>
>>70995916

So can literally anything

Doesn't mean its true. Nor that everything else is false
>>
File: MEME10.jpg (2 MB, 2335x2502) Image search: [Google]
MEME10.jpg
2 MB, 2335x2502
>>70994382
>>
>>70996067
You are the one lacking in brainpower as you think science cant explain everything, your stupid faith which is nothing more than an irrational behavior caused by your emotion of hope can of course explain reality thats completely brilliant.
>>70996072
It is true because you religious idiots have been proven wrong with all your magical interpretations of reality.
>>
>>70994382
Wow. The Blue Angels' airshows have really taken an R-rated turn.
>>
>>70995985
Where you raised religious?
>>
>>70994278
He's Canadian you stupid fuck.
>>
>>70995612
>Christfags were killing each other until recent times over whose idea of God is the correct one.
To be fair, this is a very poor reading of history.

They were fighting for power, religion was at best used as a tool, similar to nationalism/patriotism, or other "isms".

Prior to the modern state, there was little difference between the civil and religious authorities.

"The existence of one sovereign, exclusionary State necessarily supposes the existence and, if need be, provokes the formation of other such States, since it is quite natural that individuals who find themselves outside it and are threatened by it in their existence and in their liberty, should, in their turn, associate themselves against it. We thus have humanity divided into an indefinite number of foreign states, all hostile and threatened by each other. There is no common right, no social contract of any kind between them; otherwise they would cease to be independent states and become the federated members of one great state. But unless this great state were to embrace all of humanity, it would be confronted with other great states, each federated within, each maintaining the same posture of inevitable hostility. War would still remain the supreme law, an unavoidable condition of human survival.

Every state, federated or not, would therefore seek to become the most powerful. It must devour lest it be devoured, conquer lest it be conquered, enslave lest it be enslaved, since two powers, similar and yet alien to each other, could not coexist without mutual destruction." - Mikhail Bakunin
>>
>>70996189

>reality
>100% empirical

>Inb4 you don't exist

Do other minds exist though?
>>
>>70995985
Why are you not doing your homework, you edgy American 12-yo retard
>>
>>70995894
We'll...Good luck with that.
>>
>>70996189
>You are the one lacking in brainpower as you think science cant explain everything

All you have to do in order to prove me wrong is give me scientific evidence of Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon. It doesn't even have to be that, just give me scientific evidence for any historical event.
>>
>>70996382
>Do other minds exist though?
Personally, I believe that consciousness will be found to be measurable. That we can distinguish a conscious brain from an unconscious one.

I think this will accompany the onset of true A.I.
>>
>>70996382
>mind
Not real just a property of the brain.
>>
>>70996507
Ehh it's a hypothetical. Obviously I'd only actually need to convince people that it's the correct thing to do... and eventually someone who accepts that position will become president.
>>
>>70996531
Stop being retarded, science has allowed us to make matter that can stay dry infinitely while submerged in water there is nothing it cannot do.
>>
>>70996031
No proof of God in the scenario...Just an afterlife, Of course you could say the afterlife IS proof, but in the scenario the door of the club is open, but you dont see the owner, or know if he is even there or not.
>>
>>70996606

>Not real just a property of the brain.

Prove it with science.
>>
>>70996606
>Not real just a property of the brain.
Just a property of the interactions of molecules.

Definitely not real, and predetermined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism#Modern_scientific_perspective
>>
>>70996733
Hmm remove your brain and see if you still have a mind.
>>
>>70995985
why do you lie about your IQ on an anonymous board?
>>
>>70996724

Now I know you're just being retarded on purpose.
>>
>>70996606

Your argument is literally not real (by your definition)

Opinion discarded
>>
>>70996788
Google super hydrophobic material.
>>70996760
Yes its just matter interacting nothing metaphysical or anything like that.
>>
File: extreme disaproval.jpg (154 KB, 720x488) Image search: [Google]
extreme disaproval.jpg
154 KB, 720x488
>>70993028
>For this reason, I try to spread the word of God. Christianity, at its roots, actually preaches some pretty good shit. I believe if I can turn some degenerate atheists, jews, muslims, whatever, into good Christians, I'll be doing something good.
No.
>>
>>70996796
Im this close to filtering you, I usualy get a migraine trying to talk logic with your christian retards.
>>
>>70994840
Dawkins was a christian
>>
Drop enough acid and it will turn any supposed atheist into a believer
>>
>>70996993
And he was raped by a priest. Although apparently he didn't mind it too much.
Regardless, it's not surprising he became an atheist.
>>
>>70996999
acid trips of truth.
>>
>>70996880
>Yes its just matter interacting nothing metaphysical or anything like that.
And, as I said, predetermined. All atoms and molecules must follow physical laws, and thus, there cannot be anything such as "free will", since molecules cannot decide how to interact with each other.

Thus, free-will and consciousness is an illusion. You don't really exist. What you call your life, is the equivalent of a very realistic movie, of which you have no real control.
>>
>>70996941

>LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I was being serious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-refuting_idea#Eliminative_materialism
>>
>>70993028
>and anything besides what science can show us now
You're an idiot, you do no good. You're a stagnate stick in the mud with some pseudo intellectual ideal, I am interested though. What do you do in life?
>>
>Religious truth is multifaceted. It is comprised of science, logic, philosophy, history, ethics, and experience, all mixed together. It is, in a sense, a different kind of knowing, not ignorant the other kinds of truths, but requiring that they be studied together carefully.

>Rigidly applying the same methodology used for studying mundane things would be deficient when considering divine things. This shouldn’t be too surprising, considering that if God truly does exist, God is in a different category from every created thing that we can grasp and study under a microscope: God, unlike every created thing, is in the “uncreated things” category. Science, and each of the other kinds of truths, will have something to say about God. But none of these individually can tell us everything. All are necessary, but no single approach by itself is sufficient.
>>
>>70997233
>I was being serious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-refuting_idea#Eliminative_materialism
Its that annoying brit-bong from the other thread, arguing with me about subjectivism.
>>
>>70997359

Shhhhhhhhh
>>
File: 1433159392753.gif (687 KB, 260x320) Image search: [Google]
1433159392753.gif
687 KB, 260x320
>>70993879
>this
>i'm tired of atheists thinking science is on their side.
>>70994132
>Exactly, Einstein, Hawking and Sagan all believe in a God of some sort.
The fact that you are scientist or believe in god and study science don't protect you from being a retard.

The fact that you even suppose that there is a hell-demon living undeground and tortures you because you once stole 1 bubblegum when was a kid, and a whole bunch of people with bird wings is fucking autistic.

This shit can't even survive in a modern society because the concept of Devil or Hell is so outdated. It may been believable during World War or back in 19 century bot not today.

Im so glad that the majority of russian grew up during communism so most of us are atheists and its only now when Orthodox church started to poison our minds all because of economy crush of 90s made many people poor and depressive.
And what weak people do?
They hope that someone else will make things better for them.
>>
>>70993879

Neils Bohr, Peter Higgs, Francis Crick, Linus Pauling, John Nash, Richard Feynman, Ivan Pavlov, Erwin Schrodinger, Craig Venter...

Oh, and Stephen goddamn Hawking.
>>
File: 1258135210444.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1258135210444.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Agnostic Deist here.
Atheists, christians, jews, and especially mudslimes can all go take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned.
They all wall themselves off in some way or another, putting too much time into faith-based philosophy.

I say we use science as a tool(that's all it is) and philosophy as a guide(that's all it is) to journey out into the stars.
If God exists, that's a good place to start looking for the sly bastard. Also, other goodies out there.
>>
>>70997312
>God, unlike every created thing, is in the “uncreated things” category.

It's funny how its properties line up so closely with the "non-existant things" category
>>
>>70997946

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlBCZ_5OYw

>God being in space

lel
>>
File: lying.gif (1 MB, 355x225) Image search: [Google]
lying.gif
1 MB, 355x225
>>70995558
The idea of an afterlife doesn't make human beings morally righteous.

Consequences followed by punishment also doesnt prove good results.

Its the faith that religion brings.

To present unquestionable data that an afterlife exists completely sabotages this ideology. With information, you dont need faith.

Ouroboros or not, human beings need to blindly follow a temperament to succeed. If an afterlife were guaranteed there would be mass suicide with little responsibility.

Also you're a faggot.
>>
>>70993028
A true redpilled scientist should be agnostic. Anyone with a critical mind should consider that something being created out of nothing is twelve ways of strange so the possibility of a higher power is certainly there.

Problem with Atheist is that science isn't on their side. It is impartial. Science is about learning and understanding the innerworkings of the universe and existence. Ultimately, science will never be able to answer the "how" and the "why" the universe came into existence. They will never be able to prove or disprove the existence of a god.
>>
>>70997609
While I don't entirely disagree with you. Lets understand that the decline of religion, has nothing at all to do with science. It is result of it becoming increasingly less-useful(as you pointed out, with the struggles of the 90's in Russia).

The question that has to be asked is this, "Who would possibly want to believe in god anyway?" All he does is tell you what you can't do, and demands your time and money.

The real collapse of religion, is the result of people who don't want to be bothered with having to go to church and pay their tithes. It is people who don't want to be restricted by an ethical code, which says that many forms of pleasure are "immoral".

In the past, the social and economic benefits of going to church, far-outweighed its costs. Now, it has become merely a burden.

Whether there is a god or not, whether Christianity is true or not, the churches will continue to decline as long as these factors remain constant.
>>
>>70998120
Good video. I think the mind/body duality is the best argument that supernaturalists have going for them.
It's very mysterious.

But, as I said earlier, I think ultimately it too will be conquered.
>>
>>70998391
>A true redpilled scientist should be agnostic.

Oh, you're one of those idiots; the kind who thinks Agnosticism is a middle-man/mutually-exclusive.

Please, for Jesus Christ's sake, stop parroting this nonsense. The vast, VAST majority of self-proclaimed Agnostics are closeted Atheists too frightened to own up to it.
>>
>>70998865

Same fag here

We shall see. Thus far this is the only place that is fighting leftist philosophy en masse

The current academia is riddled with cosmopolitan jewry (not even joking)
>>
>>70998984
That's just nitpicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40aphWbo_o

Redpilled scientists aren't going to make a positive claim about the origin of the universe unless they've got some evidence for it.
>>
>>70998865

(Cont)

And it's been this way ever since the Vienna and Berlin Circles (google em)
>>
File: 1288416718012.jpg (223 KB, 650x850) Image search: [Google]
1288416718012.jpg
223 KB, 650x850
>>70998120
Not an argument. CS Lewis is not applicable either. You don't know if or where any God might be. Never assume you do. You're just a tiny insignificant mortal, as was Lewis.
This is my biggest problem with atheists and theists alike. They assume far too much and have massive ballooning egotistical heads.
>>
>>70999102
Mind elaborating a bit?

I'm not so familiar with the field dealing with consciousness specifically.
>>
>>70998152
You clearly didn't read it, because it struck a cord deep inside you...I know it did anon... You can't lie to me, you can only lie to yourself. Let me be the first to thank you for being religious.
>>
>>70999419
Although I haven't studied these ideas in detail, i'm given to understand that my own ideas on epistemology have a fair bit in common with scientism and logical positivism.

I'm not exactly sure where I differ from them...
but there is a problem, as the video nicely put, in defining what exactly we mean by "I"... and what consciousness is. It's a tricky subject.
>>
>>70993028
>Says he is an atheist
>Immediately has a god complex and thinks he's better than others.
>>
>>70994382
it took me 5 minutes to realize this was an asshole
>>
>>70993028
Science hasn't disproved God and won't decide one way or another for some time. We just don't know shit about before the big bang, which is where God lurks.
>>
>>70999446

I'm on my phone right now but basically the positivists were jews and there is like a war in academia between autistic scientistic jews and insane post modern leftie jews and degenerates

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_wars

The only political movement they haven't intellectually dominated/ founded is social conservatism and the extreme non-Sionist right
>>
>>70995558
If murderer's get to go, you'd be obligated to kill everyone around you and succumb to your wounds so we can all go to the afterlife.
>>
File: Truth.jpg (41 KB, 263x395) Image search: [Google]
Truth.jpg
41 KB, 263x395
>>70999865
Wait...Don't you have mirrors in Australia?
>>
>>70999427

>Never assume God exists

Why?
>>
>>70999932
It never will. The existence or absence of a deity is not falsifiable so you can't use science to try to "prove" it one way or the other.

It's purely based on faith. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.
>>
File: 1404524549369.jpg (120 KB, 823x588) Image search: [Google]
1404524549369.jpg
120 KB, 823x588
>>71000238
That picture is why smart men become anarchist outlaws and learn how to avoid the government's bullshit. You will play a losing game if you play the game at all, unless you're a psychopath and become a politician.
>>
File: 135629453791.jpg (152 KB, 490x583) Image search: [Google]
135629453791.jpg
152 KB, 490x583
>>71000374
>Why?
Because you cannot be sure. Assuming anything without concrete proof is called ignorance. It's for people who buy bridges for sale in New York City.
>>
>>71000547
The storm is coming....The time to decide is at hand.
>>
>>71000674

Proof or axiom
>>
File: 1450950777322.png (53 KB, 702x912) Image search: [Google]
1450950777322.png
53 KB, 702x912
>>70994132

a agnostic scientist is busy with science and has no time to research religion because he is to busy with science.
>>
>>71000034
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_wars

Ahh, so, I don't agree with the falsification idea. I think for a statement to be true, it simply must correctly predict some observation.

I think the falsifiability thing is just a funny way to invoke parsimony.

Getting to the point: I think epistemology is actually a different subject from the nature of consciousness. I believe it's possible to construct a logically coherent scientistic epistemology even if the soul exists. Epistemology is about defining a language to talk about reality. The language you use is not dependent upon the reality of the situation.

So, while the two subjects are related, I think of them as separate.
>>
>>70994339
>A group of people respond unfavorably to your argument
>HURR MUST BE AN ECHO CHAMBER
dont post retarded shit if you don't want to be made fun of. this is a Christian board
>>
>>71000547
Ever heard of Earthships?
>>
>>70994576
>t. atheists coming onto a christian board searching for non christians
>>>/lgbt/ and take your fedora with you
>>
>>70994982

lol in a debate the smarter person just wins but there is always a smarter person .
>>
>>71001021
THIS BOARD WAS FOUNDED BY DEISTS!
>>
>>71001204
i honestly don't know if that's true or not. i'm a christian irl i was just posting the christian board meme to piss the fedorafags off
>>
>>70993028
>However, I firmly believe I'm one of the few smart atheists out there.

you and every other fedora tipping idiot

fuck off faggot

pic related: it's you
>>
>>71001005

Falsification was just a fancy way to get around (empirical) verificationalism - a version of positivism

They (the jewish geniuses - Popper et al.) were trying to get around this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-refuting_idea#Verification-_and_falsification-principles
>>
>>70995280

bullshit you can be evil and dont know you are evil. being good is just a perspective without god
>>
File: 1213088800337.png (33 KB, 771x217) Image search: [Google]
1213088800337.png
33 KB, 771x217
>>71000778
Look pal, you can be a gullible dipshit and put all your faith into something if you want. Me, I stay skeptical about either side until one or the other presents compelling evidence. That's called "common sense" and it keeps you from falling for hoodwinkery.
Not knowing is the perfect excuse to try and find out for sure. Both "gnostic" theists and atheists would be content in not searching out the absolute truth. After all, if you assume you know something, you're less likely to search for the truth to find out if you're right. Not knowing is the root of discovery.
>>
>>70994982
He is a fucking Pedo anyway..dawkins is dismissed.
>>
>>70993028
>smart atheists
This is mexican intellectual tier.

Science is invalid and ridiculous and has been since ca. Descartes.

Jewish physics in particular are laughable.
>>
>>70993028
Yes

But I can not and will not control myself
I will commit adultery soon

Agnostic here

Plus I love how this triggers the SJW
>>
>>70999427
>You're just a tiny insignificant mortal

I still don't understand how this as an argument. If God is omnipresent(and what omnipotent deity wouldn't be?), he's watching every particle move in the universe at once. No matter if they are a part of a rock or if they are a part of your femur. The particles that make up a human brain/consciousness are equally relevant to him.
>>
>>71001372
>Similar arguments have been made for statements such as "no statements are true unless they can be shown empirically to be true," which was a problem for logical positivism.

I would say that "no statements about REALITY are true unless they can be shown to be empirically true".

Statements about statements, or statements about words can be true in a different sense.

Rather than using "True" for the latter, it might be better to use the term "logically valid" or something like that.
>>
MUH ALL-KNOWING 5 SENSES XD
>>
>>71001409

>After all, if you assume you know something, you're less likely to search for the truth to find out if you're right. Not knowing is the root of discovery.

Um anon-kun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-refuting_idea#Philosophical_skepticism
>>
>>71001409
fuck

why did you post that image

someone rehosted that video on pomf.se a while back and it is still the most fucked up video I've ever seen on the internet. I didn't need to remember that.
>>
>>71001685
The days of "The grifter" are over my friend.
>>
File: image.jpg (189 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189 KB, 1400x933
>>70993028
>I firmly believe I'm one of the few smart atheists out there.
Sorry to disappoint you.
Very low-quality post. Disregard.
Bill Nye the Science Goy only has a bachelor's degree in engineering. The rest are honorary. He is first and foremost an actor and not an authority on science.
>>
>>71001630

>I would say that "no statements about REALITY are true unless they can be shown to be empirically true".

Sounds circular. Define reality
>>
File: 1435352982310.jpg (57 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
1435352982310.jpg
57 KB, 450x400
>>71001610
>If God is omnipresent(and what omnipotent deity wouldn't be?)
Why should God be either omnipresent or omnipotent?

Are you omnipresent or omnipotent if you own an ant farm? What if God is mortal too, and just lives in a space of time that greatly differs from our own reality?

YOU DON'T KNOW, and you're assuming you do and applying your own concepts built upon the physics we know of this universe to apply to things that might very well be completely different from our own space-time.

That's why you're tiny and feeble. You can only think in your own universe's dimensions. What if a billion of our years is like an hour to beings that might live outside our universe, and we're merely like ants in a massive ant farm being watched by these higher beings? They see our existence like we might see the life of a single cell or bacterium. Our lives blink in and out so fast they'd need their own versions of high-speed cameras to capture them.
It's completely within the realm of logic and possibility if you don't assume things work outside the universe as they do within.
>>
>>71001991
>Sounds circular. Define reality
Reality concerns that which I am experiencing.

Statements about reality are statements that are talking about what I am or will be experiencing.
>>
>>71002332

But dude, how do you know he doesn't know?

Are you omniscient?
>>
BILL
>BILL
BILL
>BILL
BILL
>BILL

BILL NYE THE BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING GUY
>>
>>71002389

Is what you're experiencing purely empirical?
>>
>>70998120

there is a big clue in the bible that god is not in this universe

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

>Spirit of God

my theory is since he is eternal he cannot enter this decaying universe. that is why he uses angels jesus
>>
File: 1459823317570.jpg (122 KB, 680x709) Image search: [Google]
1459823317570.jpg
122 KB, 680x709
>>70993028
>>
>>71002627

I'm just glad He bothers with us tbqh mate
>>
>>71002569
>Is what you're experiencing purely empirical?

Yes. I'm experiencing thoughts which concern non empirical things, but the thoughts themselves are empirical.
>>
>>71002464
I don't. I make no assumptions. That's the point. It's fun imagining what might be, and doing what I can to find out more. Far more fun than thinking "well I see no proof so it must not be true" or "these ancient fucks wrote some bullshit using subjective morality and I'll believe their antiquated bullshit".

Limiting the mind is the real travesty among both theists and atheists. They need to think bigger and crazier.
>>
>>71002569
(cont.)

Similar to how an equation written on a chalk board empirically exists. I empirically experience it with my eyes; but the meaning of the equation may or may not refer to an experience I can have.
>>
>>71002844

You can't not make assumptions mate. Do you even ἀξίωμα?
>>
>>71002749

oh he does brother and one day even the blind will see, and then they will be like oh i have been such a fool for being so blind. But then its already to late because they are burning in hell
>>
>>71003083
>You can't not make assumptions mate.
Yes I can. I'm doing it right now. Not my fault your mind is sealed up.
>>
>>71003034
>>71002818

>I'm experiencing thoughts which concern non empirical things, but the thoughts themselves are empirical

So the only thing you are directly (empirically) sensing are your own thoughts

Do you directly experience reality?
>>
>>71003307

What are these then?

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%80%CE%BE%CE%AF%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%B1
>>
>>71003387
>Do you directly experience reality?

Remember: under this paradigm, my experience is DEFINED as reality. The question isn't "do you experience reality" it's "can you build an accurate model that predicts your experiences (reality)"
>>
>>71003695

Would you say my experiences objectively exist then?
>>
>>70994822
Fag
>>
File: 1340662728385.jpg (99 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
1340662728385.jpg
99 KB, 300x392
>>71003508
Bullshit.
>"Some famous dead guys said it, it must be true!"
Guffaw.

Thinking that a God must be omni-anything is short-sighted and bullshit.
We humans are not omni just because we're vastly more capable at technical feats than bacteria.
Higher being =/= omni being
>>
>>71003805
>Would you say my experiences objectively exist then?

Yes. Now we're getting into theory building, but it makes empirical sense to model other humans as conscious beings. It gives a number of predictions that I can make about your behavior, and helps simplify the task of interacting with you.

As a model it's pretty good.
>>
>>71004052

>claims

Broof?
>>
Science can explain why things are, and how those things work, sure, it might even explain how that thing came to be.

But that doesn't really explain the very human and complex spiritual misgivings about everything -- there has to be something more, right? An absolute origin? An absolute end? Explaining religious feelings, and the emotions that go with them, to the non-religious is hard. It is like trying to define the colour of music, or the essence of emotion.

Belief in a God doesn't have to 100% fit the religious dogma of the day. That can be just how you express your belief, personally, in the higher power that we all feel. Nor does it make you stupid -- belief in a God does not go hand in hand with being less smart than one who does not, and vice versa. In fact, many famous scientists and other great people throughout history have balanced their grand achievements with ecclesiastical thought.

Religiosity does not make one stupid, yet this is a tireless rhetoric that atheists seem to stress. If you have personal, deep beliefs about the nature of the human soul, or the wellspring of emotion, of our nature in the world and our ultimate destination that don't involve rotting in the ground -- you're an idiot to atheists, who mistakenly believe that all religion must be taken literally at our own expense.

Science is the study of the universe and how things are, and work. But it cannot reveal everything, and that is where religion is important. It is a vital mana to the human experience. And ultimately, what is wrong with that?
>>
>>71003805
Although I do think there's a remote possibility that SOME humans are not actually conscious.... That they only appear to be.
>>
>>70994637
Disgusting faggot post
>>
>>71004093

But how can I (my mind) or my experiences exist if you can't directly sense them?

They're as empirically veridical as dark matter and energy
>>
God exists. Heaven and Hell do not.
God is the aggregate and arbitrator of all information contained within the universe, wherein It guides probability to create a coherent continuum of events.
>>
File: 1270249638112.jpg (119 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1270249638112.jpg
119 KB, 640x480
>>71004197
I'm still looking. I'll let everyone know if I find any. Until then, assume nothing.
>>
>>70999427
I fucking love that dolphin shit
>>
File: 1460524655731.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460524655731.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
All great truths start out as blasphemies. Religion, at least organized religion is degeneracy in the most literal sense of the word. Also,

>Hur dur Einstein believed in God

A simple google search will suffice to demonstrate the autism in this argument
>>
>>71004477
>But how can I (my mind) or my experiences exist if you can't directly sense them?

The criteria I gave for a true statement is that it must make a prediction about what I will experience.

>They're as empirically veridical as dark matter and energy

Yes, but also regular matter and regular energy. You can't experience energy. You can't experience momentum... At best, you experience light from a screen (and you pointed out earlier that even this isn't exactly true).

Any interpretation about what I'm experiencing is being filtered through theoretical constructs. I never 'directly' experience a chair. I use the model of a chair to help me describe and predict other things i will experience when a 'chair' is nearby.

The idea of directly experiencing the 'chair' is an illusion.
>>
>>71001295
This is an Australian board.
>>
>>71004391

If not b8, gr8 post
>>
can you atheists please pray to athe for me?

i've got messed up kidneys and i'm going in for an ultrasound in a couple weeks. worried what they might find, but the doctor thinks it's an obstruction, so it might just be a really bad kidney stone that can't pass.

it's been going on since early february and i'm scared.
>>
>>70993028
>>71005034
>>70980055
WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO KEEP THE GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF PEOPLE THAT DON'T HAVE THEM SO WE CAN CONTINUE DOMINATING THEM no i won't say sorry to the sandy hook victims - bernie sanders 2016
>>
>>71004940

And yet your thoughts are not empirical

They correspond to physical processes yes apparently, but whether or not they are true and the information they hold and transmit would be nothing but blips and blobs without my mind or others' or yours to make sense of it

The nature of your mind, even it if theoretically can be mapped to the physical, is entirely different from it

Think of it like siameze twins, of different natures
>>
>>71004624

einstein was jewish and agnostic .He thought that heaven and hell was something childish. his science did not disprove god
>>
>>71000238
>if you think your free
>think your free
>your
discarded
>>
>>71005558
I'm in the Matrix bruh, don't red pill me. This steak is delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-LFVHpA4s
>>
>>71004940

Have to go now mate. Nice chatting to ya
>>
God does not exist.

The soul does not exist.

There is no afterlife.

When you accept these truths, you will finally accept and become comfortable with life. I did so when I was 15 many years ago and I've never felt any serious deep seated hatred, loathing, self doubt, depression, or anything else ever since.

Religious people aren't necessarily stupid, but you need to let go. Once you do, you will become much happier.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (52 KB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
52 KB, 355x200
>>70997685
Stephen hawking is a literal meme you faggot.
>>
>>71005798
>When you accept these truths, you will finally accept and become comfortable with life. I did so when I was 15 many years ago and I've never felt any serious deep seated hatred, loathing, self doubt, depression, or anything else ever since.

If that is true, then what is the point of life?

When I was an atheist, I had a constant feeling of hopelessness and pointlessness, which overtook me, and nearly drove my to suicide.
>>
>>71005558
>And yet your thoughts are not empirical
>The nature of your mind, even it if theoretically can be mapped to the physical, is entirely different from it

I agree with you, with the caveat that you're departing from the definitions I laid out.

There is a disconnect, due to limitations on our senses and our brain, between the world I see in my head and the world that I would see if my brain and eyes were better.

Our minds necessarily simplify the universe.

^ I wrote the above then realized you're talking about something else, but I don't want to erase it because I think it's related.

(part 2)

I think the mind/body duality problem is an extension of the above. Just like the way we're forced to model a chair, we're also forced to model our own consciousness. And, our experience of what our own consciousness is actually doing is somewhat dubious.

Anyway, Again i agree. I don't know how to talk about consciousness itself in a totally coherent way.
>>
>>70993028
Fuck off, faggot
>>
>>71005777
aww toodles m80
>>
>>71005975
>cont..
In fact, I often tell everyone, when we are talking about guns. That I could probably never own a gun, and if I had had a gun five years ago, I wouldn't be here.

I'm always debating in my mind, not whether or not god exists, or whether Christianity is true. But simply whether or not there is something "special" to life or not(whatever it might be).

At one time, I would make the argument that, there is no evidence that life is, or isn't special. But that, in the absence of evidence, you are left merely with the choice of which you either preferred, or believed most probable. And that, I didn't understand why anyone, if given the choice, would rather to believe in a world which was absolutely pointless.

But even now, when I'm feeling really depressed(which is most of the time), I often wish the world the world was pointless, and thus that there is nothing beyond this life. But why would I wish that?

So that when I'm dead, I cease to exist. I seriously hate this world, it makes me angry, and weary. And I can't imagine an eternity spent here, or anywhere else.
>>
>>71004624

muh einstein

Einstein stated in his final letter: 'I am not an atheist.',[19] explaining at one point: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."[1] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."[20]
>>
File: Meditation statue giant.jpg (210 KB, 900x851) Image search: [Google]
Meditation statue giant.jpg
210 KB, 900x851
>>71005975
>>71006405

It is neither my concern nor my place to give your life a meaning, that is your job.

The reality is that our world, our existence, is by its very nature pointless. Is there any purpose to living things? No. They are replicating protein chains that got more and more and more complicated over billions of years. The only 'purpose' they had was to replicate via chemistry, with traits that allow for stronger, faster, or more reliable replication driving them forward. This is literally evolution and where it began.

The truth of the human mind is similar. There is no special magical quality about humans that makes them different from any other living things, merely intellect and language set us apart. Every animal with a nervous system is self aware. Remember that when a human develops damage in their brain, a brain tumor or alters chemical hormones their behavior changes. Many people believe that a soul is where personality comes from, but if personality can be altered by brain chemicals then how is there any soul at all?

Do not be an edgy faggot nihilist however. Contemplating the universe or human race ending and saying that 'it doesn't matter' is not only a cop out but its also irrelevant. Why do you sit down to enjoy something? Existence itself is the purpose of existence.
>>
>>70993028
>I believe if I can turn some degenerate atheists, jews, muslims, whatever, into good Christians, I'll be doing something good.
This. Religion plays an important and positive role in society. It encourages values that are good for society.

It doesn't really matter if God is real or not. What matters is the good that God inspires, which helps keep some people from going full-blown degenerate.

Lately this has been under attack, and now we see the results of it. More homosexuals and transvestites that effectively stops breeding, an important function in society. The rise of feminism could also be attributed to the absence of faith among feminist adherents. Crime, adultery, and other degenerate acts are at an all-time high because some no longer believe in reaping the consequences of their actions (in this life and the afterlife) and actually believe they're entitled to something that isn't theirs and they haven't earned.
>>
>>71007304
>It doesn't really matter if God is real or not.

Mass Delusion is, by its very name, delusional. Don't do this shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x692) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x692
>>70993028
>>
>>71007183
>The reality is that our world, our existence, is by its very nature pointless
There is no evidence to support such a belief.

You don't need to be conscious to exist. You don't need to be conscious to make decisions. What is consciousness anyway? Do you really have free-will? Being that the atoms and molecules, which make up your body, interact with each other automatically. In the same way a raindrop interacts with a puddle.

The consciousness is my only hangup honestly. It makes absolutely no sense. And it would be silly to believe that humans have consciousness(or maybe what I'm really talking about, is a soul?), but that no other living animal does. But if you say that other animals have consciousness, then which do and which don't?

If we are trying to justify consciousness through mere biology, it becomes ridiculous to believe that some things do and some things don't. Complexity doesn't magically produce consciousness. To be logical, one either has to believe that everything which is alive has consciousness, or that nothing has consciousness.
>>
>>71002485
mechanical engineering
>>
>>71006659
>Is there any purpose to living things? No

Nah you fucked up..The purpose of life IS to create more life.
>>
>>71007183
>Do not be an edgy faggot nihilist however. Contemplating the universe or human race ending and saying that 'it doesn't matter' is not only a cop out but its also irrelevant. Why do you sit down to enjoy something? Existence itself is the purpose of existence.

The question here is, if I walked up to you on the street tomorrow, and shot you in the back of the head, would it matter? Is it right or wrong? According to whom?

The example I often used when I was younger was what I called "The red button".

Imagine there was a red button sitting next to you on your desk. If you press the button, the universe just disappears, everything disappears. Should you hit the button?
Lets pretend that the button was instead on my desk, does it matter if I hit the button?
>>
File: Quest.jpg (261 KB, 1163x798) Image search: [Google]
Quest.jpg
261 KB, 1163x798
>>71007636
>There is no evidence to support such a belief.

All evidence points to it. Entropy. Chaos. Black Holes, the completely cosmic and massive scale of everything compared to humans. The universe's shear size is impossible to grasp and essentially infinite for us. We're not custom built for this universe, we are little maggots living on a tiny shell on a single planet spinning through space. And all of that because the star light from our sun, the atmosphere, the temperature is well enough for us to exist in. It's not "random chance" really though, simply because if those factors were not in place we wouldn't exist to contemplate them.

>You don't need to be conscious to exist. You don't need to be conscious to make decisions. What is consciousness anyway? Do you really have free-will? Being that the atoms and molecules, which make up your body, interact with each other automatically. In the same way a raindrop interacts with a puddle.

When you get this deep in solipsistic thought it becomes impossible to determine right from rain. To be honest, it is truly irrelevant if free will exists or not. It is also mostly unknowable.

>if you say that other animals have consciousness, then which do and which don't?

What animals? Any with a nervous system, I would argue. Being able to sense the environment around you is what is consciousness in my opinion. While something like a plant or jellyfish doesn't really have consciousness in the same way we do.

>To be logical, one either has to believe that everything which is alive has consciousness, or that nothing has consciousness.
I disagree. The cut off, to me, is very clearly a nervous system. But I'm a guy who thinks most computer programs are 'conscious' in some limited way, so you know. Take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>71007183
>Contemplating the universe or human race ending and saying that 'it doesn't matter' is not only a cop out but its also irrelevant.
You say it is irrelevant. But why would it be irrelevant?

"The truth was, that life was meaningless. Every day of life, every step in it, brought me, as it were, nearer the precipice, and I saw clearly that before me there was nothing but ruin. And to stop was impossible; to go back was impossible; and it was impossible to shut my eyes so as not to see that there was nothing before me but suffering and actual death, absolute annihilation..."

"I could not attribute a reasonable motive to any single act in my whole life. I was only astonished that I could not have realized this at the very beginning. All this had so long been known to me! Illness and death would come (indeed, they had come), if not to-day, then to-morrow, to those whom I loved, to myself, and nothing remains but stench and worms. All my acts, whatever I did, would sooner or later be forgotten, and I myself be nowhere. Why, then, busy one's self with anything? How could men fail to see this, and live?...It is possible to live only as long as life intoxicates us; as soon as we are sober again we see that it is all a delusion, and a stupid delusion! In this, indeed, there is nothing either ludicrous or amusing; it is only cruel and stupid!" - Leo Tolstoy
>>
>>71008028
>The question here is, if I walked up to you on the street tomorrow, and shot you in the back of the head, would it matter? Is it right or wrong? According to whom?

It matters in an utter extreme to me, yes. Human beings, evolutionary speaking, have a minor amount of 'objective' morality in the form of empathetic thinking and feeling. I don't want somebody to kill me, so doing it to other people is wrong.

>Imagine there was a red button sitting next to you on your desk. If you press the button, the universe just disappears, everything disappears. Should you hit the button?

No! Why would I hit the button? I do not wish to cease to exist, as do many other humans around the world. It would be wrong to rob them, and future people, of their experiences.

>Lets pretend that the button was instead on my desk, does it matter if I hit the button?

As above, yes and very much so.
>>
>>71007933

i fucked up nothing i only quoted einstein
>>
>>71008253
>But why would it be irrelevant?

It is irrelevant because of the puerile belief that because something isn't 'forever' that it means it doesn't matter. Everything matters to someone, it makes them feel emotions or sensations, does the fact they will all cease to exist some day make it 'irrelevant' that they experienced it? No, obviously not.
>>
>>71008214
>All evidence points to it. Entropy. Chaos.
Prove to me that the universe isn't four minutes old.

Pro-tip, you can't.

I am fully aware of the size and complexity of the universe. But you take for granted that everything you observe, is true. You refuse to think about anything which you cannot prove empirically. Thus you've walled yourself off from your ability to even attempt to explain anything which is likely to remain unexplainable. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't concern you.
Look at it like this. Lets pretend that you flipped a coin ten times. And all ten times, it landed on heads.
Lets pretend that you then flipped the coin a hundred times, and all hundred times, it landed on heads.
Lets pretend that you flipped a coin a million times, and all million times, it landed on heads.

The question is, how many times of flipping the coin on heads, before you begin to question reality?

To a true materialist, it doesn't matter how many times the coin landed on heads, because as long as there is a possibility of it happening(regardless of how tiny), then it could be nothing more than sheer random chance. And there is no reason to consider it beyond that.

Any attempts to explain it, regardless of how improbable it is, is mere superstition, and can simply be discarded.
>>
>>71000547
>social security
automatically means
>ponzi scheme
I don't get it
>>
>>71008328
>No! Why would I hit the button? I do not wish to cease to exist, as do many other humans around the world. It would be wrong to rob them, and future people, of their experiences.

If life has no purpose, then life is pointless. And in the grand scheme of things, whether these people lived or died, means nothing. I cannot rob something which doesn't really exist.

For that matter, eventually everything will die. So why does it really matter if they die today, or tomorrow?

You are trying to inject meaning into a life, which you cannot, by any rational basis, give meaning. Beyond the irrationality of the humans themselves.

To deny them life, would be the equivalent of denying an ant a life, or a mouse, or a chicken.

You continue to give humans, and other complex lifeforms, some arbitrary basis, whereby they stand above all other life, and thus deserve a special place. When, in reality, complexity alone cannot create consciousness, any more than complexity can create god.

You've merely deluded yourself into believing something which cannot be true, merely because you wish it to be.
>>
>>71008744

I don't agree with your assertions, but I can't tell you that they are wrong.

The vast overwhelming amount of evidence states that the universe is X billion years old, all life evolved from single celled organisms, cancer is caused by damaged DNA, etc. Based on all measurements that people can do this is the most unified result. There is NO evidence to support the idea that the universe is literally 4 minutes old. I know you are going to argue that 'there is no way to know for sure', but it just a stupid argument in general. Either you believe the universe is empirical or not.

As for the coin question; If a single coin landed on its heads even 20 or 50 times, I would questions if the coin or my launching methods were rigged or influencing the outcome. While it is true it is possible, that doesn't mean it actually WILL happen.

Coin landing on heads 10 times is 1 over 1024 which is a 0.0009765625% chance of happening. It's astronomical to the point that I must suspect foul play. I'm not going to be satisfied with a fantastic or seemingly unnatural turn of events if it happens just because it 'could'.
>>
>>70993028
You don't need to believe in all the metaphysical bullshit to follow many of Jesus's teachings. Just as there are "Jews for Jesus" there can be Atheists for Jesus.

I've always felt that Good Friday should be the highest holy day of the year because it's the most meaningful. Jesus was tortured and killed because he cared for his fellow man. And he underwent the crucifixion willingly. Whatever happened after the fact can't possibly compare to that kind of sacrifice.

If anything, Atheists should value wisdom for living a more meaningful life regardless of source. I would totally go for an organization that focuses on self reflection and improvement.
>>
File: 1447156973483.gif (1 MB, 291x229) Image search: [Google]
1447156973483.gif
1 MB, 291x229
At the end of the day, I really don't give a fuck.
>>
>>70993028
>I'm an atheist

no one cares
>>
>>71009296
I love that GIF cause it's so bad. Slap red paint against a canvas for 3+ Billion years and you'll be surprised what happens.
>>
You professional atheists want a red pill?

This is a DANK red pill.

SCIENCE is mankind's pathetic attempt to understand and categorize what God has set in motion thousands of years ago.

Even if you remove the time from the redpill...its still pretty dank.

God Bless.
>>
File: Mountain Valley picture.jpg (537 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mountain Valley picture.jpg
537 KB, 1920x1080
>>71009053
>If life has no purpose, then life is pointless. And in the grand scheme of things, whether these people lived or died, means nothing. I cannot rob something which doesn't really exist.
>For that matter, eventually everything will die. So why does it really matter if they die today, or tomorrow?

You can 'rob' something which does exist. You're arguing that they don't exist, but they absolutely do! Even if for a moment in spatial time, they absolutely exist. To deny that their emotions, pain, desires have no intrinsic value means you'd be a sociopath. You are one of these temporary spatial distortions as well, don't' forget that.

>You are trying to inject meaning into a life, which you cannot, by any rational basis, give meaning. Beyond the irrationality of the humans themselves.

My meaning of 'life' is merely respecting the inborn mental needs and feelings of living things as they are.

>To deny them life, would be the equivalent of denying an ant a life, or a mouse, or a chicken.

Just because I believe all creatures with a nervous system have a consciousness does not necessarily believe they are all equal. Humans can experience greater emotional and mental joys and pains that these creatures very well may not be able to.

>You continue to give humans, and other complex lifeforms, some arbitrary basis, whereby they stand above all other life, and thus deserve a special place. When, in reality, complexity alone cannot create consciousness, any more than complexity can create god.

Did you even read my post? It's about the mechanism of conciseness, which is the nervous system. Rocks cannot sense its environment. water cannot see where it flows. Trees and plants can kind of sense their surroundings, but its not based on any known mechanism associate with thoughts.

You keep saying that I have an 'arbitrary bias', but it is in no way arbitrary. It is based on actual, real, physical things and understood mechanics.
>>
>>71009268
>The vast overwhelming amount of evidence states that the universe is X billion years old
It reminds me of the joke about dinosaur bones. How, when Christians are confronted about them, they'll say that "The Devil put them there to test our faith".

Now, obviously to an atheist, this sounds absolutely absurd. And they are puzzled how anyone could possibly believe such non-scientific tripe.

But on the other hand, can you prove that the Earth isn't four minutes old? Can you prove that the Earth isn't 6,000 years old? Can you prove that I even exist? Can you prove that any other human-being on this Earth even has a consciousness?

As I said before, all atoms/molecules must follow physical laws. Once those atoms and molecules are set in motion, for all intents and purposes, their actions are fixed for eternity.

A hydrogen atom cannot choose to go one direction or another, or to bond to one atom or another. In the same way, the molecules and atoms which constitute your entire body, cannot choose to go one direction or another, or to bond to one or another. All the machinery of your entire body, happens automatically. They do not require any thinking, they do not require choice. Thus, whatever choice you believe you have, is merely an illusion.

The truth is, when you begin looking at what evidence we actually have. You'll realize it isn't quite as compelling as you are originally led to believe. And the existence of the universe is so unfathomably improbable, let alone the cosmological constant, which allows life to exist at all. Let alone the conditions necessary for this planet to produce life(AKA, its ability to produce RNA and DNA, which we still have no clue how it happened), that it becomes almost absurd to think that any of it is possible at all.

You begin to reject everything, but can only overcome it by realizing the only thing you know to be true, that you exist.
>>
>>71009515
>thousands
kek
>>
>>71009732
I am picking up what you are putting down. I believe you to be intelligent, so I want to tell you something.

It bothers me when I look back on my life and see that the times I walked with the Lord also were the most difficult times of my life. When I was deprived of things. Boot camp, combat deployments, etc.

I want to walk with the Lord in fairweather too! I know I am not the first person to realize this.

Help me, my brother
>>
>>71009822
Were you there? Did you witness the passing of billions of years with your own eyes? Or are you trusting the Jew narrative?
>>
File: img_0258.jpg (62 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
img_0258.jpg
62 KB, 800x400
I love life because there are always many different paths you can take.
>>
>>71009732
>Did you even read my post? It's about the mechanism of conciseness, which is the nervous system. Rocks cannot sense its environment. water cannot see where it flows. Trees and plants can kind of sense their surroundings, but its not based on any known mechanism associate with thoughts.

I read everything you wrote. The problem is, you are deluding yourself into believing something which has no logical basis, except that which you are creating for yourself arbitrarily.

You keep saying "I believe all creatures with a nervous system have a consciousness". But from where does such a belief spring?

It comes from the fact that you have a consciousness, and since you have a conscious, you believe that other lifeforms must have a consciousness as well. And while that is a fine belief and all, it is not grounded in evidence. You cannot prove any of it to be true. You are merely taking a leap of faith. Especially when you proclaim that anything with a nervous system also has consciousness. But what exactly is a nervous system? Isn't it merely molecules which are connected to each other, and can pass information from one to the other, enabling a kind of collective decision-making in multi-cell organisms?

Before we carry on this conversion, I would love it if you would watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8dDTHGJBY
>>
>>70993028

How is good not murdering savagely your enemies and taking advantage of them? How is good being humble and meek? How is good turning the other check?

Hos is it good to put cockblocks everywhere a human wants to fuck?

Make no mistake, jesus is the antichrist, we are here to be regaled by God and the more you "sin" against jesus, the more saintly you become, because you see, most of mankind are demons who hate men and the love God poured on them.

Do you think the commandments of the bible are laws of God? Think again. The laws of God include hating your enemies because they are demons, this is why there was a wife waiting for Cain, because apart from the sons of god, there were sons of the devil on earth.

Repulsive people who you ought even kill if you can manage not to get caught. And steal from them, and never be humble, and treat them like shit, and the more jesuslike anyone becomes, the more sinful he is.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160415-034941.png (762 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160415-034941.png
762 KB, 1920x1080
>>71010256
M8, its literally captain cucks older brother.

I'm not.a Jew so I will watch it regardless. Next time bring heavier references
>>
>>71010459
You believe you are correct but you are mistaken. I pray that you find the real Jesus Christ. Not the controlled opposition religious figure the satanic Zionists want you to think of Him as, but the real Christ.
>>
>>71010575

I fap in the face of jesus and cum on his spirit
>>
>>71010256
>cont..
There is no evidence to believe that you can make any rational separation between life without consciousness, and life with consciousness. Any attempts to separate life in such a manner, must fail.

And if you weren't human, you would not see humans as the penultimate representation of consciousness. You are merely attached to humans, and project in them those attributes you see in yourself. As well as projecting into other complex animals much the same.

The truth is, your attachment to humans, when looked upon objectively, is completely irrational. Humans are no better than any other life-form.
>>
File: _20160415_035542.jpg (134 KB, 1080x1569) Image search: [Google]
_20160415_035542.jpg
134 KB, 1080x1569
>>71010614
>>
>>71010634
You are also extremely intelligent. I hope you can harness your gift and use it for Good
>>
>>71010614
edgy
>>
>>71010833

Not edgy at all, he deserves no better for hating mankind and trying to make them perish.
>>
>>71010463
The main purpose of posting the video, was that it would show a nice visualization of the sheer complexity and internal workings, of merely one animal cell. It seriously blows me the fuck away.
>>
>>71009779
Very well said! I am sad I missed this post.
>>
>>71010958
I am watching it now. Jidf would discredit everything you said based on something they don't like. I understand your perspective and I admit the video is well done thus far
>>
>>70997946
>Agnostic Deist

the agnostic atheist term is BS,so you might aswell call yourself an atheist
>>
>>71011042
Thanks. I'm not used to getting compliments on 4chan, rofl. So many edgy kids here you know.
>>
>>70994132
>Einstein
Fraud.
>Hawking
Retard who makes shit up.
>Sagan
Jewish stoner

What the hell, /pol/. How stupid have you become?
>>
>>70994840
>that's what gave rise to dawkins and the new atheist movement.
No, that was Judaism and the leftist movement. Get your history straight.

Dawkins is Jewish, btw.
>>
>>70993028
I just don't care.
From my point of view religions are a drug for the stupid uneducated idiots, and if it keeps them happy so be it.
Intelligent people who study do not believe in magic sky wizards for a good reason.

>lmao because we can't explain something it must be GAWD
Yeah just like thunder was back then or sun or moon or anything else?

Entropy is the only truth. There isn't some grand plan behind everything. Our lives are meaningless and the only "purpose" given by nature is to ensure our genes and memes pass on after we are dust. Might as well enjoy your life while at it.

So remember to keep baneposting until it imprints itself to society as a whole so it becomes eternal. Big guy is the only god
>>
>>70995612
>Christfags were killing each other until recent times over whose idea of God is the correct one.
Hahahah, what? L2history, you idiot. What the fuck? Am I really on /pol/?
>>
>>71009488
>Slap red paint against a canvas for 3+ Billion years and you'll be surprised what happens.

Guess what, still won't turn into a squirrel faggot
>>
>>71011175
meant agnostic*
>>
>>71006659

>Implying Einstein believed in religious regressiveness

He thought Christianity and similar beliefs were childish at best. He was an agnostic deist/ Spinozan pantheist.
>>
>>70993028

Religion keeps dumb people in line and gives them something to believe in, provides a basis for shared values and creates a sense of community. The existence or nonexistence of God is pretty much irrelevant. That's why I tend to think Catholicism is the best religion. It's all basically just a set of rituals, and you can participate as much as you want. If you take it seriously and believe in it, it has something to offer, if you don't believe or don't really care, you can just eat the wafers and mumble the prayers every third Sunday and be just fine as far as anyone else is concerned. The bible thumping Evangelicals are really the ones who ruined Christianity in America and made it unappealing.
>>
File: scarletlegs.jpg (3 MB, 5659x3537) Image search: [Google]
scarletlegs.jpg
3 MB, 5659x3537
>>70993028
im agnostic, and comfortable with the fact i will never know everything

thinking you know everything possible makes you god

and you're just another fag OP
>>
File: 1460523135005.jpg (54 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1460523135005.jpg
54 KB, 500x329
>>71011228

>Einstein was a fraud, Hawking is a retard

Wew, lad. Careful with that edge. What have your contributions to theoretical physics been?
>>
>>70994847
>ad hom
niiiiice sure showed him
>>
>>71005686

All very true.
>>
>atheists are the most naive people on this planet....willing to believe whatever science throws their way...and yet ignoring all the beauty of this planet that surrounds them.... if that is not enough evidence for a living God....you are a moron also.
>>
>>71011316
You're the one who needs to L2history seeing as at least one of the crusades were carried against other Christians who just believed in a different teaching of Christianity, also Protestants and Catholics have been killing one another in Britain until the war of the roses and in Ireland until recently.
>>
>>71011561

Nice strawman, m8
>>
>>71011561
Science doesn't require "belief" it's observable, empirical and repeatable. Anything that a scientist purports to be true can be shown to be true.

Religion requires belief because none of it can be shown to be true. And "muh surroundings" isn't proof of anything. An appreciation of natural beauty is a demonstrably evolutionary trait we've accrued to select better places to live.
>>
>>71011737

>>71009515
>>
>>70993028
It makes perfect sense. Humans developed the ability to understand our own mortality. Our death is inevitable and this directly contradicts our instinct survive. Thus we rationalise away our approaching death by convincing ourselves we are immortal.
>>
>>71011301
>Intelligent people who study do not believe in magic sky wizards for a good reason.
I disagree somewhat. I think intelligent people might be more prone to spiritualism than even the biggest idiots.

The idiots are like squirrels, they don't think, they just react. They have tiny frontal lobes, which prevent them from thinking beyond the material world, and the present time. Many might claim to be religious, but they largely just haven't given it much thought.

As CS Lewis explains in this video. What really makes a man a man, is his desire to know things. My main criticism of atheists, is that they seem to be unwilling to even attempt to explain the unexplainable. As a result, they intentionally let the gaps in their knowledge remain empty, and for the most part, they don't even bother to give the issues any consideration. In essence, they've turned off that part of their brains. They have turned off their imaginations.

>>
>>71010963
>I don't have enough information about the subject at hand so it must be that the subject is actually false and its the work of a wizard!
Americans never cease to amaze me. You take a lack of evidence or in this case a lack of your own understanding as proof for literal magic
>>
>>71012138
Imagining the answer to an unknowable question doesn't make it true. It's perfectly acceptable to not-know something.

Does this mean atheist don't want to know or are unwilling to try and find out? No. But when the answers are literally not available to you, what sense does it make to fill in the blanks with unevidenced claims?
>>
File: details.jpg (54 KB, 646x459) Image search: [Google]
details.jpg
54 KB, 646x459
>>71012185
You are wrong. And you should feel bad about it. But you can't because you don't understand.

Friendly reminder that during the DC Madame shilling it was your country that first posted the diseased pepe on this board.

I worked for a Finnish man once. He was an excellent man from any angle. While on the contrary, you personally are no more relavent than a nigger.
>>
>>71012138
Of course they think about it. It is only natural for humans to ponder upon what makes something tick.

However with something like "what existed before our universe" we cannot get any measurements about it nor can we back our hypothesis up with anything. Of course an atheist thinks "well it could be god" but since there is nothing to back it up they don't go around preaching about their own figments of imagination.

See, that's the difference. Religious people are eager to explain everything odd as the work of magic.
But the problem is that each and every person can come up with their own reason for those questions be it a spaghetti monster or aliens or god.
That's why you shouldn't go around yelling about what you came up with. Nobody gives a shit since you cannot back it up. Atheists are curious about what makes something work in reality, while religious people are happy with waving the questions off as the work of a wizard.
>>
>>71009779
This is the anthropomorphic principle. We are only here to behold a universe that can support our type of life, because the universe exists as it does. If the universe existed in a way that did not support any life then it would go totally unbeheld.

Now consider the evidenced hypothesis that's gaining a lot of traction, that we live in a multiverse with an unlimited number of universes existing simultaneously. The universes which cannot support life, well no one lives in those. But you do live in one of the universes that can support life, because you could not have been born anywhere else.
>>
>>71009488
The mistake it makes is the idea that the universe today is in anyway like the universe as it first existed. The original state of the universe wasn't all that different to a big splotch of red paint with absolutely no pattern to it, just replace splotch with cloud and red paint with hydrogen atoms (the simplest atoms that are physically possible, don't even have any neutrons).
>>
>>71012185
>You take a lack of evidence or in this case a lack of your own understanding as proof for literal magic
We're not talking god of the gaps here.

We are talking about the fundamental problem with talking about the existence of life itself. There is simply no reason to believe that anything should exist at all. The very existence of absolutely anything at all, is unexplainable, and will forevermore be unexplainable.

The idea that you can get something from nothing is just absurd. And if you were to accept the premise, what would stop you from believing that another universe could pop into existence, right on top of ours, right now, and kill us all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SWvDHvWXok
>>
>>70994132
>Sagan believed in god
What? I've heard he preferred to call himself Agnostic but that's not a form of belief in god at all.
>>
File: 1460618588113.gif (204 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1460618588113.gif
204 KB, 404x416
>>70996321
>>
>>71012642
>Now consider the evidenced hypothesis that's gaining a lot of traction, that we live in a multiverse with an unlimited number of universes existing simultaneously.
The reason why they have to hypothesize the existence of an infinite number of universes, is because it is the only way to explain why our universe is so "fine-tuned" to support life.

Instead of having to discuss the sheer improbability of the tine-turning necessary for life. They can merely say, if something can have happen, then in infinity, it will happen an infinite number of times.

Even if there actually were an infinite number of universes. It would be impossible to prove, and thus it would be utterly pointless.
>>
>>71012704
>what would stop you from believing that another universe could pop into existence, right on top of our, right now, and kill us all?

Although the universe could end at any moment killing us all with no recourse. But that's so far beyond our control its not really worth worrying about.

No matter how unlikely you show it is for life or existence to exist, it doesn't add even the slightest bit of weight to the existence of a God. Multiverse hypothesis requires no wizards and blows your claim out of he water. Or even if that's wrong it's perfectly possible we got lucky - the only alternative isn't God dunnit.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.