[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am now going to be forced to pay "carbon tax", /pol.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: le_tax.jpg (162 KB, 828x759) Image search: [Google]
le_tax.jpg
162 KB, 828x759
I am now going to be forced to pay "carbon tax", /pol. Red pill me on "carbon tax": is it some sort of corruption scheme?
>>
>>70972387
>I promise not to raise taxes
>JK faggot, I said raise. I didn't say anything about new taxes added on

That's how it works OP.
>>
>>70972387
Just an excuse for the government to get more money and control over your lives.
>>
>>70972387
CLUB OF ROME
>>
>>70972387
I bet your gas is still like $.80 'Berta baby
>>
AL Gore is so worried about climate change he bought a giant mansion on the west coast that has like 20 bedrooms and bathrooms. Fucking Ponzi scheme
>>
>>70972387
You fucking played yourself Canada.
>>
>>70972918
It's around 95c, same as it was when oil cost $100/bbl.
>>
>>70972387
Cry me a fucking river.

>make 4100€ a month
>get 2300€ after taxes
>>
File: 900ISIStoyota.jpg (54 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
900ISIStoyota.jpg
54 KB, 600x311
Is this new tax going to have to be paid even by British Columbian who are already paying a carbon tax?
>>
>>70972987
>Click here
The problem as it affects the wealthy produces much different concerns than it does for everyone else. Climate change is still a legitimate issue for all, just on a different scale for some.
>>
>new tax while alberta's economy is still in the shitter

fun times.
>>
>>70972387
Alright Canada, I'll help you out but just this once.

You tell your government to get that duck out of their ass and do some research on emissions carbon and its affects on our environment.

Start with the fact that water vapor has double the affect on the atmosphere than carbon dioxide does.

Then point out the simple fact that co2 is a natural occurrence in our atmosphere.

Also point out that the environment regulates itself and its levels of CO2. CO2 reacts with water molecules and other organics to form cellulose.

Also burning anything in our atmosphere also released CO2 and Water vapor.

So if they're going to tax carbon, hey must tax water and all other organic molecules.
>>
>>70973402
No, it's a provincial tax.
>>
>>70973667
Thanks man.
>>
>>70973641
Excuse my shit spelling, iPhone tends to fuck shit up
>>
>>70973641

>CO2 reacts with water molecules and other organics to form cellulose.

Yes.

It's just that said reaction takes longer than the lifespan of the universe so far, unless catalyzed by enzymes.

None of this will be an issue once we figure out artificial photosynthesis.

Until then, it IS an issue, because unlike water, which is highly reactive, CO2 is ultra-low-energy, and doesn't wanna react with shit.
>>
>>70972387
>gas prices are low
>lets tax it
bravo
>>
>>70973641

I've heard some shit in my life but this takes the cake
>>
>>70972771
Some lives could do with controlling. Huge SUVs for nothing more demanding than picking up kids or doing shopping?
>>
File: 1458288314239.jpg (8 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1458288314239.jpg
8 KB, 350x300
>>70972387

Hey Alberta, ditch those commies and come to the cool kids table.

You have oil so it shouldn't be too hard for us to organize a freedom force to send your way.
>>
>>70973641
>Start with the fact that water vapor has double the affect on the atmosphere than carbon dioxide does.

ugh..

>>70973641
>Also point out that the environment regulates itself and its levels of CO2. CO2 reacts with water molecules and other organics to form cellulose.

uugghhh...

I know, it's probably my job as a physicist to also educate the public. But I just can't be bothered anymore.

On a more serious note. Do you people never fear making an arse out of yourself during conversations or anything by spouting either half-truths or something out-of-context? I'd be terrified having to talk about something I have no clue about.
>>
>>70974158

Well he's not wrong.

It's just that you know, there's a huge, complicated, finely tuned chemical process behind it in plants.
>>
>>70974503
He pretty clearly implied that it occurs spontaneously without the need for plants
>>
File: DUDE.jpg (1 MB, 3500x2333) Image search: [Google]
DUDE.jpg
1 MB, 3500x2333
>>70972387
>Green hippy faggots want people to stop using fossil fuel
>The states see a golden opportunity to tax shit with the approval of a large segment of the population
>nobody realizes that even if the west cut 100% of it's carbon emissions it wouldn't help because of China, India, and the rest of the developing world
Green faggots should be shot
>>
>>70974350

Water vapor does indeed trap heat much more than carbon dioxide.

Plants do indeed consume and trap carbon dioxide.

What's the issue?
>>
>>70972387
>raise taxes
>spend the extra money on pork-barrel projects for your friends, spend the rest on lavish parties and vacations
>emissions stay exactly the same
>>
>>70974924
>Water vapor does indeed trap heat much more than carbon dioxide.

Because water vapour in the atmosphere is short lived and, to a large extent, only related to T and P via the Clausius–Clapeyron relation. You could cook the entire pacific ocean, the resulting WV would just precipitate back in a short time.

While it's true that WV is an ECV, it's not of any relevance when talking about carbon tax, which is basically a jew scheme to make people pump less CO2 and CH4 into the lower troposphere - both gases have orders of magnitude longer lifetimes.
>>
>>70974924
idk how about the fact the percentage of water vapor in the atmosphere isn't increasing while carbon dioxide is
>>
>>70974304
Get fucked, freedom hating hippie.

If you want to become a nannystate and control gas and cars, there'll be a much stronger argument against recreational vehicles, and any fun stuff you buy that you don't need. Liqour cost gasoline to make and import to your crappy desert. Why not raise the taxes on that to discourage wasteful gas usage? Who am I kidding? I don't even need to look it up. I'm positive you already pay a sin tax for alcohol.
>>
It basically the idea that if they tax it, people will try to reduce it. If you don't want to be taxed for the carbon you produce, why produce it? I mean come on, it is 2016!
>>
>>70975460

Sin taxes never work.

They especially don't work if the tax dollars aren't DIRECTLY marked for usage in eliminating the sin being taxed.

Like shit, this is the very definition of how you fill a pork barrel.
>>
makes no sense senpai. Canada produces 2-3% of the worlds carbon emissions. even if we cut that in half by 2050(which is a very lofty goal), our contribution to an increase in temperature till 2050 would be something like 0.003. carbon taxes are useless here and just a pure and simple grab for cash.
>>
>>70975595
Oy vey why do you hate the environment so much goyim?!?
>>
>>70974034
Are you retreaded?

The reaction is constantly happening, that's the entire reason why plants grow faster with high concentrations of CO2.

That's the entire reason why plants exist.
>>
Australia tried a carbon tax, lasted a couple of years, new party got in, instantly removed. The tax raked in next to no money and jobs disappeared.
>>
>>70974924
Read up on the positive feedback cycles that result by increasing CO2 in the atmosphere. More CO2 = higher temperatures = more water vapour = higher temperatures...
>>
>>70975725

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuBisCO
>>
>>70974304
>YOU DON'T NEED AN ASSAULT SUV
>>
>>70975584
>Sin taxes never work.
Sure as hell they do. Smoking in the UK reduced drastically over the last few decades - much more than in comparable economies. The UK was rather early in banning smoking from pubs and hiking up the taxes to make tobacco rather expensive. Fair enough, these weren't the only measures, but surely had their effect. You can't get a packet of fags under 5 quid nowadays.
>>
>>70975866

Can you conclusively prove that it was the taxes, and not the bans?
>>
>>70975937
No. How would a conclusive proof even look like?
>>
>>70975778

Nice bait fuckin LEAF
>>
>>70972387
canada only has like 35 million the usa has a population about 320 million even then we only make up 5% so canada is like .5% so even if you removed everything that produced carbon it would do absolutely nothing to the world.

Its a scam created by the same people that think black lives matter and islam is a peaceful religion
>>
>>70974350
Shut up kid, I'm a organic chemist who manufactures medicine for a pharmaceutical company. Go research how cellulose is made.

Sure the process involves carbohydrates but they're all derived from CO2 and H2O.

Also

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/climatescience/climatesciencenarratives/its-water-vapor-not-the-co2.html
>>
>>70974575
How the fuck did I Imply it occurs spontaneously without plants. References cellulose it must be clear that plants are present.

Also the reaction isn't spontaneous, it needs sunlight, photons to occur.

But as we are on earth, you can find plants and sunlight in abundance.
>>
It makes sense as pollution is harmful to third parties
>>
>>70975866
Yeah, now everyone is obese instead of smoking.

The danger of carbon taxation should be obvious, it is the element of life and modern life depends entirely on cheap fossil fuels. If you are alive and shitposting on this Mongolian image board the eventual extreme taxation and eventual rationing of carbon could be the death of you down the road.

Truth be told, natural depletion rates of fossil fuels are going to do more to reduce the harmless emissions of CO2 molecules by man than any mandated reduction of an essential life force. It's a power grab and employing a new age religion called AGW to go about it, history repeats all the fucking time. Climate priests and politicians, until the last priest is strangled with the entrails of the last politician...
>>
>>70976094
>gets baited into learning
The only way to get 'muricans an education
>>
>>70975803

So what's the problem, now you're agreeing with me.
>>
File: 1401040685567.jpg (93 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1401040685567.jpg
93 KB, 400x399
>why don't they just separate the C from the O2 so we have more oxygen?
>>
>>70976786

No, you are grossly overestimating the carbon-trapping power of plants, is what the problem is.
>>
>>70976544
it's fucking 4chan, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you honestly believed CO2 could spontaneously turn into cellulose
>>
>be Canadian
>exhale
>get taxed
>>
>>70976695
Put carbon taxes on all imported goods. Chinese factories and power generation isn't clean, neither are the ships that brought them here. Made in china? Pollution tax the fuck out of it.
>>
>>70976695
Well, modern life better quickly adapt. I'm too old to witness any big impacts on carbon taxation, which I assume will take longer than 4 decades to fully manifest. It will also give incentives to develop alternatives. The main reason why oil is so prevalent in most everything we produce is because it's so fucking cheap. Alternatives to oil in production will be viable and pursued once there is a good reason to do so. The Montreal Agreement didn't stop us from building refrigerators or spray bottles.

I wouldn't worry, if I were you, mate. There's many other power grabs I'd consider more worthy of our attention than a few cents of carbon tax.
>>
>>70972387
>is it some sort of corruption scheme?

It fucking is Nigga.

Up here in Quebec where 98% of all power produced is fucking Hydro power, which is what everyone uses, we STILL have to pay a fucking carbon tax.

Not only that, but apparently California can buy "carbon credits" from Quebec. Like we emit low carbon so that means California can emit high carbon?

It's stupid as fuck. It's nothing but a money scam mean to fuck the population, small business, and give an excuse for big business to flee overseas.

And because the government spends their "green fund" on whatever they fucking want, including a lot of shit that is decidedly not green, it's no help at all to the environment.

And then people say Trump is stupid for speaking out against it. But they are the dumbs. They are.
>>
>>70977095
No, all those carbohydrates are orginally supplied by co2 and water. It's part of the carbon cycle
>>
>>70972387
Bend over Prairie Rover, Let WeedMan take Over.
>>
>>70972387
Better hope a Canadian Volcano doesn't erupt. You wont have any money left over for a donut.
>>
>>70972387
This is the kind of shit God made Tar and Feathers for.
>>
>>70974304
Comrade relax, the polibureau has decided that you do not need beef and fresh milk because you are bachelor with no children. Instead the nigg-I mean loyal party members in revolutionary projects complex 428 with 7 children will have it. Thank you for your understandings
>>
File: laughingben.jpg (35 KB, 620x480) Image search: [Google]
laughingben.jpg
35 KB, 620x480
>>70973641

holy fuck
wow
wow

>>70974034
Artificial photosynthesis in the fucking stratosphere? LOL WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS IN THIS THREAD
>>
>>70976056
And there is your justification for people claiming raising the prices on good or services does not reduce consumption. This is the same way people say targeting suppliers (to raise the price of drugs) in the War on Drugs does nothing.
>>
>>70972387
You see, the goyim have long since avoided an air tax.

Well, now they can't!
>>
>>70977265
That would merely raise the price of all goods. The key to this legislation is so that Trudeau can go on TV in 4 years from now and say how much he has reduced CO2 emissions. The fact that people are being hurt in the process is basically irrelevant as long as it is a net political win for Trudeau.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.