[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /pol/, I have a question about freedom of speech. What if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: hate-speech-is-not-free-speech.jpg (15 KB, 300x257) Image search: [Google]
hate-speech-is-not-free-speech.jpg
15 KB, 300x257
Hey, /pol/, I have a question about freedom of speech. What if someone is seen wearing a Trump hat in public but with no visible affiliation to his employer. Would his employer have the right to fire him for that alone? Since the employee is on his own time, doesn't he have a right to free speech, or does the right to free speech also protect the employer's right to fire him?

Say this started happening a lot. What could be done to stop it? Would there be a legal case? Or can businesses, even large ones like Google, Coca-Cola, and Disney, legally start firing people for supporting Trump?

Is there any chance of this happening?
>>
Depends on your contract. A big company will usually have a grievance process of some sort that you can use to get back at them if they don't treat you the way they should. But at that point, would you really want to force them to let you keep working there?
>>
It depends if you sign a contract or not at the beginning of your employment, or if you have rules based on whether or not you may wear political clothes or not.
There's also the fact that if it is allowed, and you fire this person for supporting Trump, but there somebody with a Bernie hat on and you don't fire them. If you fire them solely on liking a candidate I believe it's illegal, and may become a legal case in the lower courts. (Not even close to SCOTUS level)
Im no expert on this at all, but I believe that's how it'd work.
>>
>>70971699
>Would his employer have the right to fire him for that alone?
Legal right? No.
>>
>>70971699
your speech is not free speech but mine is :D

t. a libtard
>>
>>70972100
OP said that the person is seen wearing a Trump hat in public, not at work, and not wearing anything related to his place of employment. Contracts and rules of employment and such are irrelevant. Firing over that is illegal in the United States. Of course you have to prove that's why they fired you.
If they do fire you, try to get them to admit it on video or something before you sue them cause otherwise they'll just deny that that is the reason.
>>
>>70972370
I must have misred.
Yes, that's definitely illegal then.
>>
>>70972370
What law makes it illegal to fire someone for this? What if supporting Trump is considered hate speech by your employer? Could he fire you for that?
>>
>>70971699
When I worked at Target we were told straight up that we'd be fired if we posted bad things on social media. Private companies can fire whoever they want.
>>
>>70972672
>Private companies can fire whoever they want.
what are anti-descrimination laws?
>>
>>70972370
The contracts that I've signed all have said that I can be terminated at any time for any reason, and that I can quit at any time for any reason. What trumps contract law here?

Now of course I'm sure if I were to pay a lawyer he could figure out how to sue for any number of reasons. Is that what you're talking about?
>>
>>70972672
Would it be up to Target to decide if posting "Trump 2016" is a bad thing deserving of firing? Lots of people think he's racist, so posting that could be seen as supporting racism. Does Target want someone like that working for them and interacting with customers?
>>
>>70971699
>What if someone is seen wearing a Trump hat in public but with no visible affiliation to his employer. Would his employer have the right to fire him for that alone?

For that alone? I doubt it. He'd be begging for a lawsuit.

If he really hated the guy for his politics, he'd probably just make his work environment a living hell until he quit.
>>
>>70972755
They can't fire you based on race, religion, national origin, age, or sex, but what about political beliefs? Is that protected? What about racism? Can't they fire you for being racist? Many people think Trump is racist, so supporting him would be racist as well.
>>
File: 1419578377052.jpg (300 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
1419578377052.jpg
300 KB, 850x1200
>>70971699
Are you in a right to work state? If yes, you can be fired for a lot less than that.

Borg shits will gleefully sever your benefits and wage if they have even the slightest opportunity.
>>
>>70973022
>Can't they fire you for being racist?

Unless you're going around inciting violence, then no.
>>
>>70971699
Companies and colleges persecute republicans all the time for their beliefs. Best part is it's totally legal as long as you ignore the constitution. This whole country is cucked as fuck and there's nothing we can do about it. Social Justice is the new constitution thanks to our kike overlords.
>>
>>70971699
If they do I could easily see an unfair dismissal case being brought.

Here at least, don't know how it would go in America.
>>
>>70971699
Hate speech is free speech in the USA also for some reason i cant see flags, where is the OP picture from?
>>
>>70973022
Political beliefs haven't been covered as free speech since the 60's.
>>
>>70971699

I wear mine to work every day, nobody cares.
>>
>>70973453
Same here, but I work for a small company in rural PA whose owners lean pretty heavily right. The worst they would do to me is tell me not to where it any more.

Bigger company in a different setting, I probably wouldn't; not worth the hassle.
>>
>>70973883
wear
>>
>muh hate speech

Who decides what is hate speech? Me? You? Your Mom? The Government?
>>
>>70973271

United States. So am I. So are you.
>>
>>70972647
>What if supporting Trump is considered hate speech by your employer? Could he fire you for that?
Only if he can convince the courts that it is hate speech. So, no.
>>70972768
>What trumps contract law here?
Anti-discrimination laws.
>Now of course I'm sure if I were to pay a lawyer he could figure out how to sue for any number of reasons. Is that what you're talking about?
No. I'm talking about the fact that it's illegal to fire someone, regardless of what the contract says, because of them exercising their constitutional rights and/or holding certain political views.
>>
SJW 'logic'

Anything I disagree with = 'hate speech'
>>
>>70972672
>>70973022
They could fire you for being racist or promoting certain political views while you are at work or doing something related to your job. If you post it on your own personal social media accounts, then no they can't legally fire you and you can sue the fuck out of them if they fire you over that.
>>
>>70974661
Don't forget, these guys got "traumatized" when someone wrote Trump on the sidewalk.
>>
>>70974076
"Hate speech" is basically anything that goes against the mantra of the progressive liberal left.

I think the actual term refers to incitement of violence against a specific group.
>>
>>70974589
>Anti-discrimination laws.
Political affiliation is not covered under that at the federal level. Unless you live in a special location, the employer can do whatever they feel like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_United_States
>>
I'm just looking forward to when doxing is considered stalking, harassment, and coercion.
>>
>>70974738
Remember this guy? He said "nigger" on his own time and without any affiliation to his employer. But he was identified online and reported to his employer and he got fired. So why couldn't the same thing happen for supporting Trump, since so many people consider it to be racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrY1XltlRWg
>>
>>70971699
It depends both on the contract of employment and the state's laws. In some states an employee can be fired without cause
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.