[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese fag here This site gave me a lot of incentive to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
File: Japs.png (9 KB, 260x183) Image search: [Google]
Japs.png
9 KB, 260x183
Japanese fag here
This site gave me a lot of incentive to learn english and using it constantly helped speed the process up a lot.

The thing is though I can write it well and i know how to structure sentences and the like but i don't actually know how to pronounce a frightening amount of words.

Now that I moved to the US I hope I can learn it quickly, do Americans on here have any tips?
>>
>>70970049
Read lyrics to songs and watch shows in English with subs on.
>>
>>70970049
Enunciation is something your brain loses as you grow older. The best thing you can do is keep practicing until it becomes understandable, but it will never become perfect.

仕方が無い
>>
>>70970049
Just talk to people. Watch cartoons, that's z good way to learn pronunciations.
>>
>>70970049
Pronounce words the way the letters sounds, if it sounds "weird" or "overly hard" to say, then there is probably special sound rules. If that is the case you just go to google, type the word in and have the computer say it to you.
>>
>>70970181
which shows have the best "normal" american accents
people here talk about an ''accentless'' accent but to me your "new york" accents i hear in american shows and your "california" accents i hear in american shows sound very similar

i just dont want to end up with a nigger accent or southern accent (same thing?) cause people make fun of those dont they?
>>
>>70970418
>which shows have the best "normal" american accents
News broadcasters will generally put on what's seen as a very neutral accent. Try listening to local news.
>southern accent cause people make fun of those dont they?
No
>>
>>70970418
American Idol
Hell's Kitchen
>>
>>70970418
Yes, they will make fun of you if you have an accent like that. Part of the reason because its unusual for a Japanese guy to have such an accent.
>>
>>70970418
if youre really this concerned just stick with the Californian/west coast accent. Don't worry about pronouncing everything here correctly because most people mispronounce shit all the time.
>>
>>70970049
There is an enormous amount of slang, jargon and poor English on this site. I'd strongly recommend looking to other sources if you want to learn to speak it properly.
>>
>>70970049
There is enormous forgiveness for accent, mispronunciation and dialect. Japan really is different in honestly requiring correct pronunciation and even identifying what part of Japan a person is from by very slight differences. Between diversity, freedom of movement and everybody making up their own personal culture, that wouldn't work here.
Correction works differently. People will actually not correct you when they perhaps should, because there is a big emphasis in American culture on people doing things their own way.
>>
>>70970418
>in American movies new yorkers and Californians sound the same
that's cause a lot of movies and tv were produced in california for a long time and they just got local actors

Hollywood is notorious for their shitty portrayal of accents, whether it be new englanders, New Yorkers, appalachians, southerners, midwest etc.

the thing is sometimes the people making it don't know any better so if an actor who just 'learned' the accent 10 days ago comes in and does something that sounds even within the same galaxy of the accent they'll think it's good.

Some know better but just don't care so you'll end up with Detroit characters who have Boston accents or west Virginians who sound like they came from the swamps of Louisiana
>>
>>70970220
>lies
>>
ITT: obese Americans desperate to believe they're speaking to a Japanese pillow fucking faggot
>>
>>70970418
Accents are the least of your concerns. And mostly, American accents are word usage such as "soda vs pop" or "you all vs y'all". Not being like the New England accent, where they dont pronounce the "R" sound in words or Ebonics is the only thing I would becareful of and you can easily tell if someone is speaking ebonics to you because you wont understand it, so nothing to learn.
>>
OP, can you hook me up with some Dragon Quest Museum tickets? They don't go on sale until the 19th, but if I get it through a company, I just know that the fees are gonna rape my wallet.
>>
File: his_meets_a.jpg (16 KB, 402x405) Image search: [Google]
his_meets_a.jpg
16 KB, 402x405
>>70970049
Burger who speaks a smattering of Nip here, I say focus on the English "L" and "R" sounds. Everything else is secondary, because people will still know what you're saying if you fuck the vowels up. Learning the consonants that fuck Japanese uo the most will keep you from having the stereotypical Nip accent, which will make you a lot more respectable.

Also, listen to some songs in English and try to listen to TV with subs like other anons said. Try to focus on sitcoms, shit on Netflix, anything aimed at a national audience. It'll give you a more "standard" accent to focus on and a healthy dose of slang and idioms.

Good luck man. English phonticism is pamts on head retarded.
>>
>>70970418

>which shows have the best "normal" american accents

Queer eye for the straight guy, Will and Grace, I Am Cait
>>
>>70970049
I never study English. I start playing videogames with subs on and I learn the basic, of course that my English isn't great but people understand when I speak.

So basically, play videogames, watch shows or movies with subs on.
>>
>>70971286
i cant understand the words in english or american music, but a couple americans at my office say that songs are notoriously hard to follow cause of the singing style and they have trouble understanding a lot of the words even though they're perfectly fluent

i assuemd it was just me cause i didnt have a grasp of the language but they say there is a lot of mumbling and incompletion of words in songs
>>
>>70971314
>all gay shows
fuck you
>>
>>70970418
Just like any region, natives will tell you there are differences in the way people speak within their country and foreigners will think it all sounds the same. For example, if you ask an American "What is the difference between accents in each region in the USA (West Coast, East Coast, South, and North)" they could give you a description of each area and how they talk based on personal experience. If you ask that same American "What is the difference between accents in each region in the UK" they will tell you they all sound the same (where as someone from the UK will be able to tell you different accents within their region).

The way I see it, American English doesn't sound as proper, and nobody gives a fuck either. Just pronounce the words how you see them, and I'm sure people will understand you (or help you if they can't grasp what you mean exactly). Sure people might laugh at your english but not in a bad way. More in like an endearing way.
>>
>>70970049
I don't know how to pronounce words either and I'm American.
>>
>>70970049
this is exactly why we like asian immigrants better then niggers, they actually try to integrate.

just listen to trump speeches and you will learn quick
>>
>>70971627
Led Zepplin - Stairway to heaven is a quite easy song
>>
>>70971627
I think it depends on the type of music. Things like pop songs that aren't musically complicated would be really good to learn from. Most pop songs they tend to repeat the same phrase over and over for the chorus. I would stay away from any techno based pop though, I bet the shitty synthesizers would throw you off.
Also, I'm pretty sure most colleges have people willing to tutor/teach you. Private tutors I mean, not ones affiliated with the school, and because they're aimed for college students, they tend to be on the cheaper side.

Good luck man. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon.
>>
>>70970418
Watch all of Seinfeld.
Also no japs can pronounce English anyway.
>>
>>70972267
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg

That was a rip off of this song.
Everything is a lie.
>>
>>70971627
I'd suggest litening to audiobooks sincr they'd be the best easy to learn English with proper pronunciation.
>>
>>70971687
the gaccent is really popular these days.
>>
Oh, I forgot to add, as far as accentless goes, most of the midwest doesn't seem to have much of an accent. At least not a heavy one.

Meaning states like, Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Parts of Idaho, parts of Montana, Dakotas
>>
>>70970049
The neutral accent you're referring to is called, "Cinncinatti English".
>>
>>70972517
*listening
*since
>>
>>70971627

listen to actual singers like frank sinatra and dean martin
>>
File: 1456859542202.jpg (297 KB, 1200x731) Image search: [Google]
1456859542202.jpg
297 KB, 1200x731
>>70971627
Yeah, it can get pretty tough to decipher it a lot of the time. Maybe start off with TV, and work your way up to music. I can't understand Japanese singing too well for the same reason. Probably worse in English because of the various accents and dialects though.

In terms of easiest music, I'd suggest listening to pop rock and some kinds of pop music. The rock is usually close enough to speaking to understand, and while the pop tends to distort the words more, there's a lot of words in there that will be used in everyday conversation. Certain rappers like Zack Hemsey are great too, he almost speaks more than properly raps. His album Ronin is a good example, more rythmic speaking than rap.

Just beware of ebonics, because talking like that will turn off a lot of people. Good news is that it's pretty easy to pick out and avoid.
>>
>>70970049
Converse in English a lot and don't stress too hard about your pronunciation.

If you speak well enough for others to understand you, hardly anyone will complain about it and the conversation experience will be the best at helping you learn.
>>
>>70970418
get a British accent m8 it's superior
>>
Find movies and Television shows with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa speaking English in it .. Copy his accent and way of speaking . Get friends and loads of ass!!!
>>
>>70970049

Just remember that English is fucking retarded and nothing is pronounced uniformly.
>>
>>70972474
ive seen seinfeld its not funny at all but i might watch if they sound 'normal american'
>>
>>70972567
>not fagcent
m8
>>
>>70970418
it'd be weird seeing a jap pronouncing stuff with a southern accent but it's not like you'll get made fun of for it or anything, especially if you live in the south where people will just assume you picked it up when you learned the language
>>
>>70970049
Watch "Rachel's English" on Youtube for pronunciations.
>>
>>70972648
>midwest
thats the only accent that sounds distinct to me unlike the rest of the american accents in movies
they sound exactly like canadians which is easy to tell the difference from americans at least to me anyway
>>
>>70970049
Watch TV but be careful to not start talking like a Kardashian.

Also do some shit customer service-type job where you have to talk to people. Hotels are good and you Nips are usually very polite.
>>
>>70972947
you all sound gay to me
>>
>>70973531
>canadians
Not really man. Only in WI, the Dakotas and IL do they really sound like Canadians. Colorado has 0 accent at all. Though why you'd ever want to live there is beyond me.
>>
>>70973630
Even though it's all Jewish mind control, watch stuff like CNN and Fox News. Emulate their accents. They all speak with a "flat," Midwestern accent.
>>
>>70973936
no cause midwesterners sound like canadians to me
>>
>>70974017
Have you tried creating your shitty bait thread in >>>/int/ and asking them? This thread doesn't belong on /pol/.
>>
>>70973936
>They all speak with a "flat," Midwestern accent.
The "General American Dialect" is not a "flat Midwestern accent"

People from the Midwest sound like they have fucking brain damage.
>>
>>70974257
>The "General American Dialect" is not a "flat Midwestern accent"

Then where is it, you stupid faggot? It's certainly not on the East and Wests coasts or in the South.
>>
>>70970049
watch non-fiction television, plus the x-files and the blacklist
>>
>>70974257
I think the point that OP mentioned was that he didn't want a HEAVY accent. Midwesterners don't have a heavy accent. Not compared to the south or New York.
>>
>>70971627
I'm from Washington and we're pretty close to accent less English. Oregon as well. As far as media goes I would recommend star trek since the English is pretty clear and it's fun.
>>
>>70974506
He's a retard and seems to be equating dialect with accents which aren't the same thing.
>>
The best advice i can give too you are these pointers
1.) watch a lot of television in English it will get you used to hearing it
2.) be sociable-talk as much English as you can and if you make a mistake people will usually help you correct your sentence.
3.) don't be afraid of what you sound like. In the United States there are many different types of English speakers and everyone has a very broad degree of competence with the language no matter how bad you think you sound know that there is some guy down the street who sounds even worse and he still tries.
>>
>>70972806

THIS
THIS
THIS
>>
File: AmericanEnglishDialects.png (601 KB, 2717x2470) Image search: [Google]
AmericanEnglishDialects.png
601 KB, 2717x2470
>>70974370
The "General American Dialect" is all around the United States. That's why it's the "General American Dialect" you gasoline huffing, shithead.
>>
>>70970418
Now I'm imagining a Jap guy moving to California after binge watching The Sopranos, talking in a heavy Boston accent 'EY CAN I GET SOME GABAGOO' OVA' HEEAH?
>>
>>70974789
He was referring to an ACCENT not a DIALECT you brain damaged moron.
>>
>>70974506
>Midwesterners don't have a heavy accent.
lol, are you for fucking real? Yes they do. They sound like syrup niggers with lobotomies.
>>
>>70970049
English pronunciation is dumb. There is no rule, you have to learn how to pronounce every new word you learn. Shit's fucking dumb. Why aren't "food" and "flood" pronounced the same way for example? Dumb language.
>>
>>70974860
There's not enough of a difference in dialect and accent to give Op bad advice to try to sound like some fat fuckup from Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Listen, in your shithole state where you've never seen the ocean, you pronounce words and phrases weird and we all laugh at you.
>>
>>70974427
The X-files is a really good recommendation. Sculley and Mulder have almost equal speaking parts, and both have quintessential non-regional-specific American accents. It also would prepare a non-native English speaker for how women and men speak differently.

If you're male and learning another language, and your teacher or the speaker in your learning tapes is female, it can be really frustrating since you can easily end up speaking way more effeminately.
>>
File: Picture of me 1.png (294 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Picture of me 1.png
294 KB, 480x480
>>70972490
zepplins was better eat a bag of dicks
>>
>>70970049
As someone who learned English from watching television, I would recommend doing just that.
Watch and listen to other people speak the language you wish to learn. TV shows and movies are good for that. But so is music and talk radio.
>>
>>70970049

plug the word into google translate and there is a button to the right of a dialog box that speaks the word. its mostly accurate
>>
>>70974541
Star trek is a great series, but the way a lot of the actors and actresses speak is phonetically kind of odd. Picard is English and sounds fine, but that's not American. Riker sounds fine too and uses an American accent, but he's the only one. But Diana Troy talks weird, her mom talks weird, rape gangs lady talked weird, data talks weird, laforge talks weird, worf talks weird.

TNG is one of my favorite shows but I think if we are recommending series based off how useful they would be to learning how to pronounce words effectively, you're better off sticking to something different.
>>
>>70975762
WHAT ARE YOU???
>>
>>70970049
Round out your mouth. The best way to speak white is to enunciate every single fucking letter. Don't talk too fast or try to slang. Take the word, sound it out, speak it out. You'll sound like a stereotypical jap trying English at first but it is the only real way to learn. You'll shed the accent and awkwardness as time goes on and you can same something comfortably and not have to exaggerate.
>>
>>70975762
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>>70975762
ULTRA MEGA RARE
>>
>>70975885
But then he'd speak like robot?
>>
>>70970049
Nice try fuckin liar, "and the like" is an american colloquialism and a nip wouldn't understand it
>>
>>70970049
>but i don't actually know how to pronounce

when i lived in hawaii i was inline at mcdonalds and a japanese tourist in front of me asked for a sturubelly mirikashocky - strawberry milkshake

the girl at the counter had no idea what he was saying
>>
>>70970418

Just don't talk like how the katakana system uses English words

Say Los Angeles instead of Rahsuu Anjeruusuu

Or "foa chan isu besuto saitu " or other English
>>
>>70970049
Sound it out by clapping with each syllable
>>
>>70970049
These things helped me a lot, I started singing English songs with lyrics also watching Game of Thrones and television helped me a lot. Practicing other language pronunciation has helped me get better when i speak English. Keep tabs of any new word you learn and try to make sentences with them and things that are close to you.
>>
>>70970418

>nigger accent same thing as southern accent.

You little squinty eyed bastard.

Hope someone punches this nips card.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2bTpyHGCE

This vid will help.
>>
>>70970049
>story about struggling to learn english
>perfect english
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.