[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solution to Unemployment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: thanks_doc.png (173 KB, 599x573) Image search: [Google]
thanks_doc.png
173 KB, 599x573
Job Guarantee scheme

>Pay minimum wage to anyone willing to work
>As many hours as they want
>Real work - e.g. environmental restoration, infrastructure projects, or whatever the local community needs
>Administered by local government but funded federally

This would:
>End long-term unemployment, and make workers more employable
>Also end underemployment because you can work in the JG as an extra job if you want
>End most of the poverty we needlessly tolerate in society
>Have an excellent automatic stabilising mechanism and buffer stock against inflation
>See yuge real output gains (close the Okun gap, aka wasted labour as a result of unemployment)
Just to name some of the benefits.

Common questions:

>What if the unemployed refuse to work?
Then they would remain poor.
>Isn't there going to be a lot of bureaucracy to make sure these people aren't abusing the system?
Yes. There needs to be some degree of oversight. But consider how much waste would be eliminated by removing the existing structures dedicated to managing the unemployed - e.g. jobseeker activity testing, workfare.
>Wouldn't this be expensive?
The total cost of JG wages should be allowed to expand as much as necessary. In other words, however much the government spends on JG wages, that was the correct amount. By paying a fixed wage this will never be inflationary.
>Is this like "America Works" from the TV show House of Cards?
There is some similarity in that it's a universal employment / public works scheme. The details of the fictitious AmWorks are not clearly outlined but it's unlikely that AmWorks is as comprehensive as this model of JG. A JG also isn't necessarily paired with cuts to other programs.
>How is this different from workfare?
This is a real job, with no coercion, paying a real wage per hour worked. Workfare typically is meagre, degrading, and little better than state-subsidised slave labour for businesses.

Do you agree or disagree with this idea and why?
>>
That's great and all OP but you're still a massive faggot.
>>
>>70915765
Leave the shitposting to the professionals please.
>>
>>70915626
So you watched House of Cards, too?
>>
>>70916024
>>Is this like "America Works" from the TV show House of Cards?
>There is some similarity in that it's a universal employment / public works scheme. The details of the fictitious AmWorks are not clearly outlined but it's unlikely that AmWorks is as comprehensive as this model of JG. A JG also isn't necessarily paired with cuts to other programs.
>>
>>70915626
But what if there isn't any 'real' work that needs to be done? What if there is something the 'local community' needs done and 2000 spergs turn up with no skills and just fuck it up when a small company could easily do it?
>>
>>70915626

when you employ people to do shit, you expect the thing they do to bring some value to be used to pay their wages and turn up a profit to be used for development of the company

employing fuckton of people to plant trees and clean streets do not really turn up profit, it is paid by the local community

so you basically managed to raise taxes across the board to pay low qualified people to do low qualified jobs

you could argue they bring some value back to the community and as working members could bolster the economy

but this is flimsy as people have the option to work for minimum wage if they want to

the homeless and poverty stricken people are such for the most part on their own violation
>>
>>70916307

>employing fuckton of people to plant trees and clean streets do not really turn up profit, it is paid by the local community

In developed countries these fuckers are entitled to unemployment benefits regardless. May as well be made to do public works for it.
>>
File: Job Gurantee.jpg (250 KB, 1500x600) Image search: [Google]
Job Gurantee.jpg
250 KB, 1500x600
>>
Unemployment is at an all-time low, this makes no sense.

The only people without jobs now are either disabled or lazy.
>>
>>70916453
>Unemployment is at an all-time low, this makes no sense.

top b8
>>
>>70916262
>But what if there isn't any 'real' work that needs to be done?
The real world situation is not even close to that scenario. It would be great if every social need were satified by private enterprise.
>What if there is something the 'local community' needs done and 2000 spergs turn up with no skills and just fuck it up when a small company could easily do it?
There's no intention of having workers fuck anything up. If there is unemployment then there is unused labour and it can be directed however would best serve the community.
Indeed some of society's needs are better served by the private sector and I would also advocate for expansionary fiscal policy to enable businesses to employ people and use all resources available.
A job guarantee takes care of the workers left over from the private sector, whether government tried to maximise employment in the economy or not.
>>
>>70915626
>Solution to Unemployment

Invest in cheap energy namely next gen nuclear as a thermal and electrical source for high energy industrial work.

No ore should leave our shores unprocessed. Major export ports should have large industrial parks surrounding a nuclear power plant on an isolated, low cost grid taking ore from the interior, smelting and forming it for export and use. If it is produced here it also decreases the incentives for manufacturing and other downstream producers to move to China.

We need an international competitive edge and it won't be labour because the chinks have that down to the point actual slavery would cost more.
>>
>>70916397

sure they are

now let's think if they will be a motivated and disciplined workers once you stop the benefits and make them work under the sun

no ?

ok, now you must deal with their transportation, management and damage control as sure they will fuck shit up at a greater rate than they produce value

I'd be more of a favor for them, to be given some farm land, some training and be thrown away from civilized society.

In this way we could segregate them and contain the damage they do around themselves only.
>>
>>70916453
see
>>70915793
>>
>>70915626
This is welfare, except you break windows before you give people the welfare.

It absolutely WILL result in situations like having 500 people dig a hole with shovels instead of 5 guys with excavators, not because they're cheaper or more efficient - they aren't - but because it's 500 people who now have 'jobs'.

Basic, meaningless, degrading jobs, with low pay, doing stupid useless shit just so you can say you're 'employed'.

And it won't actually solve any problems.
>>
>>70915626
you and I both know that many people don't wanna work.
and the lefties aren't going to let you cut welfare if they refuse your job
>>
File: usconst235x235.jpg (62 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
usconst235x235.jpg
62 KB, 235x235
>>70915626

Here's the best plan humanity has ever devised. Don't make it so complicated lad. Just follow the guidebook. (And maybe a few things here and there from the Articles of Confederation)
>>
>>70916262
we had this during commieism. Unemployment was illegal, and if you were some lazy bums just fagging around in the middle of the day, police would pick them up and beat the shit out of them.
There were always some vacancies at least on the paper. But in reality, many times when people went to work, they had not much to do. Ofc there were many jobs where you had to work hard (especially industry oriented, because commies always had boner for heavy industry), but in more service oriented jobs, people would often do nothing all day or get drunk and sleep in some back room. This is the reason why many old people praise communism. Nowadays if you are past 50, you can hardly get any decent job. But in communism, everybody has their job (and therefore money) guaranteed
>>
>>70916685
>break windows
>dig a hole with shovels instead of excavators
>[etc.]
I'm not going to defend the JG concept against strawmen
>>
stfu fags

there is no unemployment that i see

i graduated college got a good job (microbiology)

EVERY SINGLE ONE
of my friends that graduated college found a great job within a year tops
even my roommate that went for communications
found a great job
even my friends that didnt go to college ALLLL have jobs that pay pretty well and were all under 25

stfu and do something

fuck i got a call yesterday for another job

i dont see any unemployment but for lazy fucks
>>
>>70916685

Which sounds better: welfare with cheap workers and inefficient construction of infrastructure, or welfare with nothing but associated costs?
>>
>>70916576
>There's no intention of having workers fuck anything up
the issue with this is you're saying everyone who don't have jobs should be on this system instead of just benefits, but the problem is alot of these unpemployed people with be lazy fucks who probably would fuck things up
>>
>>70915626
Thanks doc
>>
>>70916760

The federal constitution has little to do with economic policy and when it does it's about interstate relations.

The states could experiment with a Job Guarantee program with varying degrees.
>>
>>70916904
>>70916453

You are guys are just as ignorant as the minimum wage advocates.

There are different economic situations across the nation, withing each state, within each county.
>>
>>70916772
The first world also had pretty good employment policy after world war 2. For example, Australia's unemployment rate went above 2% once and it nearly cost the government an election. This full employment period lasted from 1945 until 1975.
Getting unemployment down to frictional levels without a JG is absolutely possible (no need for communism lol) but having a JG means that buffer of unemployed won't suffer as much if the government falls short. The government can also deliberately leave unemployment at the NAIRU level if they follow that particular religious train of economic thinking.
>>
>>70915626
see
>>70916772
hes right
>>
>>70917039
then move.

ive got calls from across the country wanting to interview me

learn something and make yourself marketable
fuck
even bartending in college i made a shit ton of money
>>
>>70915626
We need to get rid of affirmative action and diversity action in the employment sectors. There are many people that have jobs but don't have the qualifications to do them efficiently.
>>
why not just force people to work
>>
>>70917182

Moving is financially impossible for some people, especially if they have family. Where you move may not have a job waiting for you, the purchasing power of your dollar may be less even if you are paid more (which is why a federal, or even a statewide, minimum wage makes absolutely no sense), and your social network is lost, leaving you without a financial or emotional safety net.

Good for you but some people are not as fortunate.
>>
>>70916930
If they won't do the job properly then they get fired. This just gives them the choice to stay out of poverty. Do you not believe everyone should have that choice?
>>
>>70917628
but if they don't do the job properly not because they didn't try but because they're just retarded or dont have nay skills then they shouldn't get any money and starve? This system is pretty flawed
>>
>>70915626
You fail to realize that some people are just garbage and cant be put to any use.

The state always manages things poorly and all the jobs you suggest i.e building bridges are fucking hard work if you have ever done formwork you would know that most of these cunts couldn't do it.
>>
>>70915626
This is stupid, who is going to coordinate these uneducated clowns? Prevent them from stealing the computers/pens/pencil/paper/tools? What if a few what to re-pave a street? Where is the asphalt coming from? Who is buying it? What happens when a nigger kills himself with a power tool or kills someone else because he is not trained to use it?
Your plan is well intended but stupid, you dont understand how humans behave
>>
>>70917717
If someone is that severely disabled then they would be eligible for whatever disability support the government provides. That's not within the scope of this program.
You can have a JG on top of other forms of welfare or not. Either way, I think the addition of a JG scheme is a direct improvement.
>>
>>70915626
>paying worthless shits with taxpayer money will never be expensive, because it will only cover the wages of those working

Wages which will be rather expensive for the taxpayer, you fucking retard
>>
>>70916919
Here's a crazy idea. Lets stop subsidizing being a idiot with no practical skills and see how many people keep doing nothing of value.
>>
What kind of jobs would be offered in a Jobs Guarantee plan?

>>70917804 brings up a good point
>building bridges are fucking hard work if you have ever done formwork you would know that most of these cunts couldn't do it.
>>
>>70917917
agreed
>>
>>70918238
Low-skill work that is not taken care of by private businesses. Local governments have no shortage of unmet needs that they can't take care of because they lack the money. I would probably direct it mostly toward environmental work but those decisions would be up to the local authorities, not micromanaged by the federal government.
>>
>>70915626

minimum wage isn't enough to keep a roof over your head

you also listed highly skilled professions that require university degrees, and suggest that paying minimum wage allows them to pay off loans, in addition to cost of living

tl;dr - you're clueless
>>
>>70919217
>minimum wage isn't enough to keep a roof over your head
Then raise it. I didn't specify what the minimum wage should be, just that this would create a wage floor at whatever wage the JG pays. Unlike the current system it would be a real, non-zero minimum wage, because unemployment would no longer exist.
>you also listed highly skilled professions that require university degrees
Actually I didn't...
>and suggest that paying minimum wage allows them to pay off loans, in addition to cost of living
No, I'm pretty sure I said nothing about paying off loans...
Anyway, I am of the opinion that the minimum wage should allow a full-time worker to live above the poverty line. I am also of the opinion that student or other loans schemes should be fair. But this is not relevant to a discussion of the concept of a job guarantee - you can have a JG with a high or low minimum wage, and with fair or unfair policies elsewhere.

Would adding a JG on top of every other existing system solve all social & economic problems? No.
Would adding a JG on top of every other existing system help the unemployed and solve some social & economic problems? Absolutely.
>>
To say that there will be no unemployment with a program like this is a technically lie (as implied within the diagram). Frictionally unemployed people will still exist.

Ultimately though, how is something like this going to be paid for? To sustain a large group of people on the program will be large drain on tax dollars. Is funding going to be partially sourced from cuts to welfare?

Secondly the work that is being completed is not even important work. If there were already sufficient demand in the labor market for these types of roles these people would be employed. You are just simply keeping them busy for the sake of it. A normal person would be out looking for a paying job.

The only way I could see this being slightly useful is to re-train structurally unemployed people.
>>
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.