[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
student debt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 17
File: poorest_peon_on_pol.jpg (171 KB, 1094x459) Image search: [Google]
poorest_peon_on_pol.jpg
171 KB, 1094x459
what is /pol/'s solution to student debt?

Americans have racked up 1 TRILLION in student debt in just 12 fucking years. From 344B in 2004 to 1.344T in 2016. (http://www.usdebtclock.org/)

Pic fucking related.

>be me
>will graduate from undergrad state school debt free
>get into medical school
>not ivy-tier but top quartile in rankings
>multi-billion endowment
>apply for financial aid
>get email in pic today
>tfw after interest i will graduate at 24 with ~345k in debt
>want to be surgeon
>4-7 years of loan deferment for residency training
>6% interest (if they don't increase it for the 2016-2020 loans)
>>
File: 1451851018715.jpg (128 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1451851018715.jpg
128 KB, 800x800
>>70897630
/pol/ will defend it
>>
>>70897856
>""""""""""""FREE""""""""""""
>>
>>70897630
>denbts

Fuck off Europoor
>>
File: sander.png (518 KB, 1349x1079) Image search: [Google]
sander.png
518 KB, 1349x1079
>>70897630
You make people join the military to pay for it. Prove that you are not going to waste taxpayer money before the government pays for it.
>>
>>70898007
I was considering joining the military to pay it off, but that route makes it much less likely i'll get into the specialty i want
>>
>>70897630

Started off with 9,000

Paid 5,000

Life went to shit

Now owe 24,000
>>
>>70897856
>occupy democrats
>SOROS!!!!!

http://watchdog.org/142762/soros-in-vermont/
>>
>he fell for the rich doctor meme
>he dudnt realize fee for outcome medicine is coming as lefties keep winning elections and cuckservatives at best tread water when they win

top jej
>>
>>70898116
Veterans get preferential treatment in colleges and jobs, and if you score high on your ASVAB you can get some training in almost any field. I just got out, and just started school in January. It's not a horrible deal honestly.
>>
>>70898139
how do they try to strangle it out of you? do they garnish your wages?
>>
>>70898260

>be forced to take on debt to become doctor
>it must mean my only passion is money

top tier logic bro
>>
>>70897856
Catch up? We're ahead though, rest of the world needs get on point. Straight flexin nomsayin?
>>
>>7089763

The solution senpai? TOTAL FUCKING DEBT SLAVERY for life if need be.

These entitled cunts didn't go to college for education...They went for the college 'experience' which means 4-5 years of endless degeneracy.

80% of them majored in useless shit with a minor in Cultural Marxism and Jewishness.

FUCK THEM ALL. I hope they garnish 50% of their Starbucks wages for the rest of their life to pay off that debt.

PS Their stupid ass parents could have stepped in at any time to stop this, but they didn't becaus they're as stupid as their spoiled children.
>>
>>70898320

They've pretty much given up. They sent collection after collection. My wages are garnished but I don't have a job anyway. My taxes are garnished. They'll probably arrest me in the future and throw away the key. I just don't care anymore.
>>
Eh, I just sat on some old guys dick a few times I wasn't proud of myself back then but at least I have an engineering degree and job to show for it and I paid everything back so we are square now.
>>
>>70897630
M8 student loans dont accrue interest while you're in school. Just live meager and you'll have it payed off by the time you finish residency.
>>
>2016 taking debts

Why didn't you just get your parents to pay for it like I did? They even bought me a house for graduating
>>
File: 1460507528808.jpg (42 KB, 600x930) Image search: [Google]
1460507528808.jpg
42 KB, 600x930
I'm about to move out to go to a pretty good school in SF but I won't be able to make it with a part time job while I go to school so I have to take out loans.

How the fuck do you guys pay for rent/deposit since they don't give out federal loans until you start the semester? Anyone wanna give me a 101 on student loans? New to this shit.
>>
>>70897630
I went to community college then transferred to a state college. 0 debt at all.

EE & CS major, make 110k a year.
>>
>>70897630
>what is /pol/'s solution to student debt?
Cancel all federally backed student loans.

If everyone that wanted a college degree had to either be smart enough (scholarships) or determined enough (work to save up for tuition) this problem goes away completely on its own.

And colleges could go back to being institutes of higher education and not marxist highschool 2.0s.
>>
>>70898589
>M8 student loans dont accrue interest while you're in school

this is absolutely untrue
the amount of financial illiteracy in this country is astounding

all loans always accrue interest
however, with a subsidized loan the government pays the interest while you're in school
with an unsubsidized loan (such as OP's) the interest just keeps accruing
>>
>>70898545

>Doesn't get a forbearance
>>
easy.

stop telling americans they have to go to college.

most go for shitty liberal arts degree that have not and will not be in demand. let alone most liberal arts recipients get their liberal arts in something you don't actually need a degree for.

college in the US is an industry that's no different than the military industrial complex.

the ones going off to college should be the ones who want to into electrical engineering, astronomy, archeology, bio-engineering, and such. not liberal arts nonsense. you don't need a $50,000 degree to be a fucking writer.
>>
>>70898612
>San Francisco
Why not try a city that doesn't rob you blind?
>>
>>70898569

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

unless fag, then nvm
>>
>>70898619
it's great that your parents paid for you, but not everyone has that option
>>
>>70898589
do you know what "unsubsidized" means?

the government stopped handing out subsidized federal loans while students are in schooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_Aid_and_Fiscal_Responsibility_Act

"It would also end the practice of federally subsidized private loans..."
>>
Stop giving out loans like candy.
>>
>>70898814

I can't get another. I lost my job and had a forbearance for a long time and everything just went to shit, absolute shit, and the forbearance is up.
>>
>>70898920
Community college cost nothing. You won't end up in debt if you work part time.
>>
>>70898855
I tried NorCal but got rejected. SoCal is a piece of shit so I'm not even going to try living in LA or SD
>>
>>70897630
yeah but then you pay it off in literally 2 years working as a surgeon making 300k
>>
>>70897630
Zero, gonna become a cop and get my $60,000 starting salary
>>
>>70899000
great, but how about those two years at university?
>>
>>70899013
how about not go to cali?

what are you some hipster?
>>
>>70899013
I know someone who did civil engineering at Berkeley and he's unemployed.
>>
>>70899078
two years is less debt than four years.

plus those two years you can pretty much focus on your major and not be bogged down by electives and required general courses.
>>
>>70897630
Stop giving loans to idiots.
>>
>>70899172
>less debt
i want to know that guy's secret for graduating debt-free
because i have a suspicion his parents paid for everything
>>
Pro-tip: die to escape your student loans.
>>
>>70898854
Well, I actually think academics are useful, but they should make it clear to people studying it that either:

You should be wealthy enough to be pursuing this as leisure

OR

You want to go into academia and plan on doing research in your field. Having more mediocre philosophers who won't go on to do philosophy is pointless and dilutes the field. Only those serious about doing their field or accept that they may be relegated to teaching it (serious students with less aptitude), should be getting a degree in it.

Too bad some idiot told everyone to pursue their passions, despite not living in a post scarcity society where doing that is harmful to everyone else
>>
>>70897630
Im going to med school in texas for 15k a year. Pleb
>>
>>70898619
This. I actually made money going to a community college first. Also lead to a lot of scholarships when I hopped to a four year university.
>>
>>70899275
Idiot 2 year of community college costs almost nothing, you work part time and save for the last couple years.
>>
>>70899082
I live in Cali...

out of state tuition is ridiculously expensive. I'm not that stupid.
>>
>Be in best Law school of Europe
>200€ a year
>Will move without any problem to the US after I finish my degree
>Managed to put some money aside

Thank you Europe
>>
>>70897630
>Student debt
>It's possible to graduate in vagina cramps studies
>>
>>70899343
how do they keep costs so low there?

I wish i could have applied to them, but i figured I had no chance as an out-of-state applicant
>>
>>70897630
About to graduate with degree in network and IT security. I have just over $25,000 in debt. I'm depressed that, even now, I can't find a well-paying job. Market's dry as a bone. I couldn't imagine what some people must feel like being hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
>>
>>70898855
Not only a city that robs you blind, it takes that money and gives it to parasites. Not just Mexicans either, classic crony capitalism, no bid contract building projects. Or the insane wages that government workers get in SF. I would rather live in poverty and never go to college than live in a city that is so cu.cked that voting forms are in 16 different languages (last I checked, probably more now).

REMEMBER WHEN SPEAKING ENGLISH WAS A REQUIREMENT?
>>
>>70899373
you're telling me that it's possible to work part-time for two years, pay for community college, rent, food, and somehow still save the $28,000 it costs to attend my public university for two years? ridiculous
>>
>>70899613
how can you not find a job in the computer field?
did you do any internships?
>>
This obsession with a degree baffles me. Not everyone in a society needs, or is it even beneficial, to have everyone go to college. This obsession has contributed to the joblessness in our country, everyone thinks they are above any job that doesn't require a degree. College is a privilege, not a right. I couldn't afford that privilege, so I learned a trade instead. I got paid while my friends who went to college racked up debt. Now I'm sitting pretty comfy while a lot of them still don't have jobs after graduating. I got over that stigma, and saw a huge demand for tradesmen, and capitalized.
>>
>>70899319
>Well, I actually think academics are useful
being useful doesn't mean its worthy of a $50,000+ investment.

easy way to fix this would to move general academics down to the community college level. have community colleges be areas for general academics and career training.
>>
>>70899892
Because there are millions of other graduates who had the exact same idea.
>>
>>70898649
this will never happen

how is anyone going to get elected or remain in office by telling most people that their kids are too stupid go to college?
>>
>>70899811
you do know community college is dirt cheap right?

the ones in my state are about $80 a credit hour and all credits transfer to all major universities in my state. we actually have a 90 / 30 program with one where you complete 90 credits at community and only need 30 (pretty much major classes only) at the university to graduate.

and rent? food? its community college.
>community
its close by and you can stay at home.
>>
File: Buttflustered roastie.png (38 KB, 873x312) Image search: [Google]
Buttflustered roastie.png
38 KB, 873x312
>>70898007
Good advice for undergrad.

Not for med school.

>>70897630
I'm in a similar position with law school.

I've been averaging low 170s (173 on my last two timed practice tests).

If I can replicate that in June in I can either take out six figure loans to go to a t14 or try for substantial price breaks at a lower tier school.

I'll probably apply to 30+ schools, see what deals I can get and go from there.

I may not go at all if I can get into a decent MPP/MPA program (dovetails more closely with my interests, many are cheaper, two years versus three, better employment prospects etc.).

It's ridiculous that colleges have priced themselves to the point where students are foregoing higher ed because they can expect a negative net return on investment.
>>
>>70900270
quit dodging the question
assume community college costs $0 for two years
how are you going to save up $28,000 to pay for two more years of university?
it's just not possible
>>
>>70897856
How many Stanfords, Harvards, and MITs do those have?
>>
>>70897630
You know what the fucked up part about taking on that much debt is, if OP fucks up in med school for any reason, grades, gf dies, anything at all that forces him to drop med school, he's going be stuck with 100,000's dollars of debt, and no medical degree.

Also good luck with your boards, my old man is 67 and they still make him take boards. It's bullshit that senior doctors that have been practicing medicine for over 30 years still have to re qualify but then again that's why America has the best Medical Facilities and Doctors in the world.
>>
>>70898985

I applied for a forbearance for 3 years straight before I got a job, then again for a year straight or 2 until another.
>>
>>70900754
>America has the best Medical Facilities and Doctors in the world

but, we don't
the only thing we're #1 in is cost
>>
>>70900521
>work while getting the first 60+ credits
>have some savings, get good grades and get scholarships/grants, or pay 15k to go to a cheaper uni and go into less debt

Why the fuck would you pay 25k for 1-2 years of uni that you cannot afford? With how much you bitch I'm 99% sure you're actually retarded.
>>
>>70900521
quit dodging?

its community college. you have near zero expenses the first two years. let alone most community colleges have programs with the major universities in their state. like mine has a 90 / 30 program with the second largest in the state.

so lets see.
>community colleges are smaller class sizes
>community colleges typically offer a plethora of tutoring and help services
>professors are typically less dickish and work around student work schedules
its extremely easy to take 4 classes a semester and work at the same time. you can pay a full 4 course semester at community in about two weeks of work. the rest of the money you put away in savings.

university?
30 credits? all you need to take are 3 classes a semester at university. around 2 classes during the second year. less classes = cheaper cost of tuition. 3 - 2 classes a semester? that puts you down as a part time student. you can easily still continue to work and focus on your classes. with the money saved from community and the money coming in from working during community and at university you can easily pay off your college debt before you even graduate.
>>
>>70901022
>>70901022
http://hospitals.webometrics.info/en/world

GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU KEKED LIBERAL.
>>
>>70901022
What's that all I see is American flags, where are your "better facilities" maybe down in Africa, cause they be Kingz and shit and Shamans.
>>
>>70900754
yeah i've come to terms with the fact that after I request these loans, there is absolutely no way out
>>
>>70901022
Why don't the elites of almost every country on the planet go to Sweden for their high end medical needs rather than America then?
>>
>>70900690

we have one in the top 100

another in the top 50 under 50

the military institutes are pretty good too but unranked

there are a few prestigious economics/business/medicine schools with a strong international presence, but all paid and expensive as fuck

however the rule of thumb for most of the country is is:

>public colleges/universities
>crumbling/lean infrastructure
>very good teachers
>but focused on research, not teaching
>high standards on exams, international curriculum
>gets you ahead in the job market
>rich/middle class dominate admittance since they pay for private middle/high school

>private college
>decent/expanding infrastructure
>newbie teachers
>focused on teaching, no research
>barely any standards on exams, laughable curriculum
>pretty much required by the job market
>poor people attend it, the government subsidies loans / pays for them
>>
File: jewshown.png (138 KB, 354x504) Image search: [Google]
jewshown.png
138 KB, 354x504
>>70897630
1. forgive all of it.

2. ban student loans from the government.

inb4
>N-No goyim, think about the poor goyim who want to go to college!
>>
>>70901916
I had teacher who worked at John Hopkins, and moon lighted at the Mayo in AZ, said that rich ass Saudi mother fuckers would fly into John Hopkins on their private jets pay cash and have their whole family looked at then fly back.
>>
File: 1460187295821.webm (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460187295821.webm
166 KB, 1280x720
>Be a Software Engineering Undergrad
>Senior with 40k of debt
>Get an internship for the summer
>$24/hr, 40hrs a week for 12 weeks

I think things will be OK famalam.
>>
>>70901916
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/international/patients

theirs some more info on their international program.
>>
keep the current economy intact. let's have the smartest and luckiest people make billions, while everyone else gets a penny on the dollar.
>>
>>70900397
Commission and get your medical training in the military.
>>
I work for cash.

The government can't garnish shit and my 84 corvette isn't worth jackshit.
>>
>>70900754
>not becoming a PA and working for the true cucks.

I think I wanna be a PA. Bout 100k/yr salary, can be up to 200k, 2 years of school priced at 60-100k.
Not bad imo. All I need right now is health care experience since most schools are retard faggots here in California and don't know graduates just want to work their six figure job already without paying their dues as an ass wiper. I already did that in undergrad.
>>
>>70898649
Plus, universities are raking in too much money now. This system will only get worse.
>>
Take away the bankruptcy protections. Make the banks take some responsibility for loaning out that money in the first place. It's just like the housing bubble. Lenders should have to swallow their losses for loaning that much out to stupid people.
>>
>>70903280
I know a girl that went the PA route instead of the doctor route she making like 250, a year living in cali and bought a million dollar home, but yeah way easier from what I hear.
>>
File: sanfranrent2.jpg (198 KB, 1031x866) Image search: [Google]
sanfranrent2.jpg
198 KB, 1031x866
>>70898612
>I'm about to move out to go to a pretty good school in SF
>pay for rent/deposit
lol
>>
>>70897856
The world's top universities are in the US.
>>
>>70899901

The reason degrees are seen as important is because they offer what high school diplomas had. You now have high school graduates who read at a 4th grade level and can't do basic math without a calculator. It's assumed that if you can manage to get a college degree of some kind, you must have at least basic reading, writing and math skills.

Unfortunately with the retards managing to get college degrees now, you'll only see more demand for more years of college and a "need" to get a Masters or higher to qualify for a decent position.
>>
>>70903512
Wow good to hear. I knew I wanted to do health care but I also knew that med school is only for people who absolutely want it. I don't care much for it, but prosthetics are beautiful and amazing. I hope to help those guys out soon.
Still, you can go on med student forums and find butt mad old dog PA's complaining about the new grads not going to med school instead when PA is the only sane point in this tumultuous HC climate.
>>
>>70897630
No more government student loans.
>>
File: college_degree_pay_2013-2014.png (465 KB, 665x4511) Image search: [Google]
college_degree_pay_2013-2014.png
465 KB, 665x4511
You chose your degree btw
>>
>>70903844
Either I was getting better at studying or smarter, but after making a transition from a JC to a 4 year, I noticed the 4 years classes were a lot easier than the JC classes.
>>
>>70897856
>>
If you plan on going into PA you have to specialize and she was doing surgeries/and she was in the process of getting other credentials done.>>70903280 For those who don't know the more you specialize and you can specialize in multiple things the more money you make for those who don't know.
>>
>>70897630
Why would you take out an unsubsidized loan and let the interest accrue for years? Just because you CAN defer payments deferred for 4-7, doesn't mean you should. Make payments, dude.
>>
File: CBWycSRUYAAY19x.jpg (30 KB, 600x333) Image search: [Google]
CBWycSRUYAAY19x.jpg
30 KB, 600x333
>>70899540
>one trillion in student denbts over one decade
>people actually graduate with vagina studies and negro studies

It's not a bubble. Everything is going to be fine. This bubble will not burst and ruin the country once and for all!
>>
I'll be making bank with my sick STEM job so I'll rack em up, whatever faggots.
>>
>>70904171
Nothing personnel, kid
>>
File: wew.jpg (235 KB, 1891x932) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
235 KB, 1891x932
>>70903756
jesus christ fucking why?

You can get a 1 bedroom in downtown Dallas for $1800 a month or less.

wew fucking lad.
>>
>>70903934
That's a bullshit chart, they lump DOCTORS in with (avg contracted) medical workers it's like saying the guy working the hot dog machine makes on avg 2million a year because the organization he works for averages the his pay with everyone else. Depending on what route you take in the united states if your good at school, then from their it depends on what you specialize in then from their it depends on whether you pick going private practice vs public practice, then refer this back to your specialization, the top doctors make more then athletes, and can work for way longer. The guy that fixed drew brees arm owns a private practice and does public work flys around a private jet. http://www.cleveland.com/dman/index.ssf/2013/02/noted_surgeon_dr_james_andrews.html
>>
>>70897630
Government funded places price capped, and have higher entry requirements in terms of grades. Government higher education assistance should be designed to ensure the gifted are allowed to excel no matter their socio-economic background, not to give degrees to every fucking pleb.

Also the level of government support should be restricted to in-demand fields to be reviewed annually. If there is a shortage in an area you get the option to fully defer your fees with minimal interest. If you are doing an underwater basket weaving course you need to get an absurdly high grade and only get to defer a portion of your fees.

Universities can offer non-assisted places and charge what they like for them/set whatever entrance requirements they want but I would also tie being eligible for government research grants and other government controlled funding sources to a requirement to maintain a particular percentage of government supported placements.
>>
>>70904643
It's bachelors degrees without any higher education anon.
>>
File: sanfranrent3.jpg (154 KB, 1020x822) Image search: [Google]
sanfranrent3.jpg
154 KB, 1020x822
>>70904572
Hey man, I got some primo closet real estate here
>>
>>70904643
>>70904801
Yes, listen to him. Accounting is pretty low in my opinion but is probably not counting CPAs which make much more.
>>
>>70897630
Honestly? Nothing. Stop giving loans to students that are government subsidized. The price of college will fall as there is less money in the market to spend on college and banks will refuse to give loans to bad risks.

As for the loans currently in circulation, if the government doesn't enforce them through wage garnishments, then it becomes up to the debtor to pay for them, declare bankruptcy, or simply not pay them.
>>
>>70897927

>2016
>still trying to claim people in "free" education and healthcare countries don't understand how it is paid for

You're literally fucking retarded.
>>
File: sanfranrent4.jpg (153 KB, 1025x886) Image search: [Google]
sanfranrent4.jpg
153 KB, 1025x886
>>70904572
>>
File: sanfranrent5.jpg (144 KB, 1026x833) Image search: [Google]
sanfranrent5.jpg
144 KB, 1026x833
>>70904572
Hey, I got a very nice crawlspace available
>>
File: 1443306600841.jpg (80 KB, 489x445) Image search: [Google]
1443306600841.jpg
80 KB, 489x445
>>70905035
>>70905250
Those look decent.

But not $2200 decent fuck me
>>
>>70900057
Embarrassingly, I think this is what most reasonable people assumed about their kids until Marxist educators started pumping them up with "all children are speshul snowflakes who deserve to go to college" shit. I mean that for white and colored people.

The real problem is ensuring a labor market that is supportive of this reality, rather than telling anybody who can't into STEM to get fucked. Otherwise, you'll just see people going halfway and getting African basketweaving degrees that fuck them over.
>>
>>70897630
>be me
>go to school for two semester
>get really sick and can't attend another
>Took a private loan for one and a government loan for the other
>I can't go to school, so now I have to repay the loans before I can go back

Well, I'm glad I got sick since now I know how bad the loans are, I owe $5000 but it'll turn into $10000 by the time I finish it.
Can't work right now though,
So lol
>>
>>70897630
OP, you should invest in some insurance on your Loans in case you default with an illiness, or something, that's out of your control so your not fucked btw when you are taking out these types of high risk loans, and by getting this insurance it will sometimes even lower your rates.
>>
Damn OP that sounds terrible.

Honestly college is too pushed onto students and administrators just eat that shit up so they can milk the government. I don't know exactly how to fix the current amount of debt out there but I've had some ideas for fixing our education system in general.

In a perfect world:

1) Give incentives to women to make pro-family choices rather than entering the workforce
2) Bring back jobs lost overseas or from illegal immigration - low skilled labor
3) Encourage alternative routes from high school such as trades, job shadowing, or entrepreneurship
4) With labor force opened up and healthy, less people will feel the need to go to college. Raise standards for colleges nationwide and get rid of diversity quotas. Only the more intelligent citizens should be able to go

I guess some aspects can be abused. Like Jamal and Tamiqa can abuse pro-family programs by having 8 kids.
>>
>>70897630
Sucks for anyone stupid enough to go to college without figuring out a way to pay for it.
>>
>>70904572
L O L @ apartment fags

I own an RV. Fucker cost me all of $550 a month to own and park, plus utilities. Plus I can move whenever the fuck I feel like.
>>
>>70897856
>free
>pay for other people's college the entirety of your life
Pick one.
>>
>>70897630
Shut down all the shitty colleges and fire the 23 year-old "professors".

Split high school in two:

> one high school will get you eligibility for college

>the other will only allow you to go to trade schools / vocational schools

Elementary school grades will determine which high achool you can go to.

The private institutions can continue to do what they want, but if you need a loan there's no support from the govt.

seperate colleges from their football teams - the football team becomes a "company" with the colleges logo. They pay royalties to the school.
No more football scholarships - football players will rely on boosters or work or whatever.

States evaluate which courses will be eligible for student loans/ or even "free".

projected student success will be primary factor in this decision.

>what are companies looking for right now?
>where is the market saturated?
>lesbian dance theory - not in demand, and saturated "market"
>lesbian dance theory "class" will cease to

TL;DR:

You have to fix the utter mess that is the us education system before you even think about making he taxpayer pay for this shit.
>>
>>70897630
/pol/'s solution is to PAY YOUR FUCKING DEBTS YOU NIG NOG.
>>
I feel bad for a lot of young people. I got a job as an accounting clerk a year ago and pretty much every person under 30 submits anywhere from 2-5 different T4s and each year most of them change year by year. This means these people need to work up to 5 different jobs throughout the year to make a half decent salary, and most of these jobs are temporary.

Young workers need to have a larger range of skills to do this, but will never have any job security or pensions, or benefits. Even the government rarely hires permanent workers. They rotate people around from job to job through internal job boards so they don't have to dole out benefits but can keep higher performers.

So I do think there is a legit complaint to make. They go to school, get into 25-50k debt on average. If they are lucky enough to get work in their field that is only 1, maybe 2 of the 2-5 they'll need to work over the year to make any reasonable income.

The system is truly fucked
>>
>>70904112
>Why would you take out an unsubsidized loan and let the interest accrue for years?

do you think i have the choice of taking out subsidized loans? i don't
>>
>>70897630
My solution is don't get in debt. Kids these days are dumb. They go to college to get a degree in a useless subject by taking out loans they know they can't pay off. I really don't know why it's seen as so hard to get an academic or sports scholarship. Do that or just don't go to college for a bit; serve in the military, work a job while living at home to get tuition. Or just accept that you were dumb and lazy in high school so there's no reason to pursue higher education.
>>
>>70908169
i got a full tuition merit scholarship for undergrad. merit aid for medical school is virtually impossible except for a select few, most of whom are high-achieving blacks, hispanics, native americans, hawaiians etc.

i'm a mixed white/asian male... the worse possible identity combination when applying
>>
>>70906573
>what are companies looking for right now?
>where is the market saturated?

In an ideal world, this would work, but consider what happened with petroleum and electrical engineering recently. Six years ago, these got shilled super hard on every list of profitable majors. Nobody could have foreseen the downturn in petroleum prices or, to a lesser degree, the expansion of H1B visa issuing.

It's difficult to forecast even four or five years in the future, which is exactly what we ask college applicants to do. If we could do this past a degree of certainty, I would not be sympathetic to graduates who declined the advice.
>>
>>70908381
I also have a full academic scholarship for undergrad. However, I'm in computer science so I don't need anything more than a bachelor's and a good resume to get a job next year. You knew med school was expensive before you started down that road. Props to you for getting through undergrad debt free, but don't complain now, after your next four years you will have plenty of lucrative job opportunities.
>>
>>70908693
Don't you think certain majors are a complete waste of time though? Like it never once crossed my mind that gender studies would be a worthy investment.

Similarly, don't you think some majors will always be in demand? Doctors, tech fields, teachers, and such.

Is it really that hard for people to make the distinction between a good and a bad major?
>>
Just write it off and stick it on the national tab.

No biggie, it's only a trill
>>
All these Amerifags claiming that they need to adapt the labourmarket to 'reality' don't understand even basic economics. Sure, you can stop schooling your new generations and have a great, practical workforce - for a third world country. Fact of the matter is that you will never again be competitive in the world markets with that kind of work ever again. You transition into service industries (like Europe) or invest heavily in IT/Tech (like India) or die.

America's not going to be a world power much longer because your system's thirld-world country level retarded. Enjoy it while it lasts, China's coming for your asses.
>>
>>70908693
M8 I'm about to graduate and I could see through the petroleum meme way back in high school.
How many times do you have to hear about greenhouse gases and the phrase peak oil before you realized that the future wasn't there?
Not that it wasn't shilled, and plenty of people fell for it, but it doesn't take a STEM major to have seen the writing on the wall. Even in Texas
>>
What is the best way to pay back your student debt? Currently 27k.

I haven't started to pay back mine but when I have to I want to know the best way to do it without the interest fucking you over. Is it paying more than the minimum each month or something?
>>
>>70909246
it's hard for me to argue against this. student debt is the worst type of debt with respect to the country's economic future.

is there any worse of a way to cripple young americans than to straddle them with debt over something they were told their entire lives that they have to do to become financially successful?
>>
>>70900809
I thought the legal limit is 3 years?
>>
File: heard you were talkin' shit.gif (2 MB, 516x283) Image search: [Google]
heard you were talkin' shit.gif
2 MB, 516x283
>>70897630
>What is /pol/'s solution to student debt?
Accept that in order to live a decent life, you're going to have to suck it up, commit yourself to debt you'll be paying off the rest of your life, getting a spectacular job because your education credentials make you stick out compared to everyone else, and then living a fairly easy life.

Though to be perfectly honest, the majority of stories I've ever read regarding college debt were from people who chose to get married and live far beyond their means, instead of making sure they were financially stable before getting into those kinds of personal commitments.

As a result, they had this crippling debt because they essentially threw themselves into more debt out of college. I'm 30, and I paid off my student loan debt in only six short years because I dumped pretty much almost every single penny I didn't spend on staying alive and having a roof over my head toward my student loan debt.

That, and I stayed as far away from women as possible, 'cause nothin' makes you want to spend more money than you have than vagina.
>>
>>70897856
Oh yes, I have taken note that Princeton is located in Chile.
>>
>>70903980
Which schools fampai?
>>
>>70908749

>You knew med school was expensive

i knew it was expensive, but i expected to get at least some lower interest institutional grants or something.

i've just been sitting around for the last 15 hours contemplating how i am to provide for myself or a future family with this debt hanging over me. i've worked so hard to get here and just feel like a deadbeat piece of shit now.
>>
>>70897630
>what is /pol/'s solution to student debt?
End federal loan programs.
>>
>>70897856
It's not free here though, it's just short of 300€/semester.
>>
>>70910997
If you and your wife work, that is at least $100,000.

Get a $1200/mo housing for the first five years. That is $28,800. Food, fuel and bills, clothing, car repair, these things being it to $40,000 or so.

Furniture. Use Craigslist. Sell what you don't want and upgrade every other year or whatever. $5000 initial investment.

By the time your kids are ready for tuition of $6000 or so per year, your individual debt should be down by at least $200,000, and your combined incomes higher. Trigger a forebearance immediately for a year or two to move to a bigger house, get a pet, get a more efficient car, install solar, set up composting and a veggie and herb garden, and develop a hobby. Have another kid. Individual debt paid off by the time you are 40.

Wow, that actually sucks. Plus you probably have to pay a lot more housing, work a lot of overtime, and have a shitty commute.

Your wife will probably also have a massive debt, and you two need to somehow find a way to take care of your kids without grandparents or support nearby.

And if your wife also has a doctor's debt, you are beyond fucked.

... I will never miss a doctor's appointment again from now on, I'm very sorry....
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.