[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anyone willing to argue that life for the average person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 468x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 468x314
Is there anyone willing to argue that life for the average person has improved over the past 50 years?
>>
>>70886620
Liberals like to bring up stuff like crime rate and life expectancy. Honestly as an elder 4chan user (49) I still maintain that things were better back in the day. Not that we were richer or even safer, but everyone was a lot more welcoming of each other and strangers could treat you like family. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen any more.
>>
>>70886935
We were richer though. Average people here actually had money to buy things and set aside money for big purchases. Now most money goes toward debt repayment while the price of things goes up and up and wages have stagnated. It's hard to be a good neighbor when everything is rotten, you're scraping by and 6/10th's of your income goes towards paying off debt.
>>
>>70886620
No that's a lie.
>>
>>70887656
>Debt repayment.
>Getting in to debt for any reason.
The Jews must love you.
>>
Materialistically we are better off in most western countries than every before. I don't think people are happier or more content with life though.
>>
Women entering the workforce devalued labor. Think, twice the work force, a worker becomes half as valuable
>>
>>70889315
>American colleges
The Jews really do love me
>>
>>70886620
In terms of material standards, yes. Socially is a very different story. Read 'Bowling Alone' by Robert Putnam to see what I mean.
>>
>>70886620
The people in your pic:
-usually washed dishes by hand
-were lucky to have a TV; color TVs were a pipe dream
-"games" consisted of monopoly and smacking a metal hoop with a stick
-were lucky to have a car; cars were a luxury, often costing many months of income even for a middle class family, and they were usually just a metal box with wheels and an engine, lacking things like a radio, A/C, airbags, ABS, etc.
- were also lucky if they had home A/C
- would be extremely unlikely to ever travel overseas for any reason
- usually had to scrimp and save just like we do now to afford the things they had

Yes, our standard of living is higher than it was 50 years ago.
>>
>>70891954
Cars weren't a luxury in 1950 unless you lived in Europe
>>
>>70891954
Also tv wasn't popular until the moon landings.

And washing dishes by hand isn't hard

Cruises and Latin America existed for trips. You also assume that people wanted to travel overseas when Europe was ducked from war and Asia was becoming worse
>>
>>70892419
Eh, not a luxury but very expensive. And like I said, we're not talking about anything like a modern car.
>>
>>70892610
*fucked
>>
>>70892616
No it wasn't. Cars were affordable since 1908. My grandparents grew up and tar paper shacks and had 2 cars growing up
>>
>>70892610
>TV wasn't popular until the moon landings
Because not many people had one. Until they became commonplace in the home there wasn't a lot of reason for film companies to spend money making TV shows.

>washing dishes by hand isn't hard
I've done it before, it's not, but letting a machine do it is easier for sure.

>Cruises and Latin America
still costed more to visit in today's money than they do now and so were less accessible to the average family

>>70892751
In 1950 the median annual income was around $3,500/yr, and a cheap car would be $1,600-$1,800, so about half the average annual income. Now there are plenty of cheap cars in the $20,000 range and the average annual income is over $50,000, not to mention a good used car can be had for less than $10,000.
>>
>>70893483
>>70891954
Oh, and this is completely ignoring advances in medicine.
>>
>>70893483
>average annual income is over $50,000,

wut
>>
>>70893483
Tv was shitty in the 50s. The movies were better and the moon landings being televised is what made people want to buy one. And why are you so autistic that you think people weren't being used cars
>>
>>70893584
Has been for years m8
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/us/
>>
>>70886620
world is being rigged for over 50 years. we should be using Tesla technology and actually rulling our own nations with our own leaders and keeping our own cultures
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.