[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it really easier to make a living in the 90s? I work with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: cashier.jpg (10 KB, 247x204) Image search: [Google]
cashier.jpg
10 KB, 247x204
Was it really easier to make a living in the 90s?
I work with a 68 year old woman that made $18 an hour as a cashier back in the 70s, now she makes $9 and has to work 2 jobs to get by (just like me).
When did it become so hard to get by?
More college graduates? Loss of American manufacturing jobs to Pajeet and Chang?
>>
>>70752412
cost of living in america has skyrocketed

you can see this by comparing the average wage to how much a mortgage on a decent house costs then and now
>>
>>70752412
>$18/hr as a cashier

I find that hard to believe. Adjusted for inflation that's like $60-100 per hour in 2016 money, depending on what year in the 70's.
>>
>>70753050
Yeah she's probably a bit senile.
She did tell me she was in a union back then though.
>>
>>70752543
>cost of living in america has skyrocketed

not really, but lower paying jobs have not kept pace. part of it is 30 million mexicans who took all the crap jobs, so the whites and blacks who used to do them had to take other crap jobs.

supply and demand. we have an excess of lower skilled/no skilled people.
>>
18$ as a cashier? Really?

Your girlfriend must have Alzheimers or Dementia, eggman.
>>
In 2016 dollars, the average salary for a cashier in 1976 was $37,000, which comes out to just under $18/hr in 2016 dollars. Sounds like grandma was right but had already adjusted for inflation. In 1976 dollars it would have been ~$8,900 or $4.25/hr.

http://www.simplyhired.com/salaries-k-cashier-store-1976-jobs.html
>>
>>70754169
this.

Back then there wasn't serious economic competition, so lower wage workers got chance to live decent lives.
>>
File: 404-300x225.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
404-300x225.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>70754414
When I work at Pavilions, a grocery chain in southern California, the union wage for a cashier was $15.41/hr. That was in 1994, so adjusted for inflation it's close to $25/hr now. That was a full time job with benefits but most of them made a life long career out of it so training expenses were low due to the lack of turnover. The cashiers tended to be good at their job, not just because they had been doing it for so long but also because they knew they were making a pretty good income.
>>
>>70752412
Sup eggy. How was being framed for that school shooting?
>>
>>70754757
I tried speaking with senior management at the convenience store company I work at about this and they just blew me off.
I'm an assistant manager so I'm responsible for our employees and our store but they don't train the employees whatsoever.
They believe in "crash course training" where the employee learns as they go, but combined with high stress, no breaks and minimum wage, turnover is insane and we have people quit every week.
>>
Absolutely.
Your numbers are probably wrong but it was easier. Back in the '90's we still had
>Domestic manufacturing
>Less illegals to deflate labor value
>Strong unions that weren't as partisan
>Less regulations
>Not required to have a Bachelors degree for many jobs
>Not nearly as many self entitled little shits demanding a $70k a year job straight out of college
>More affordable education so new grads don't need to ask for a high wage
>>
Hey egg faggot, I better not see you in r9k ever again
>>
I'd be fine with min wage right now but I can't work most of those retail kinda jobs because they are so customer service oriented and I'm a shy/anxious fucker and I can't handle the stress. And I haven't found any other types in that area that are also part time. They expect full time with still paying min wage. This is where I'm kind of not ok with min wage where they expect such a high commitment from you like full time.
>>
>>70752412
>women working
>illegals working
>inmates working
>Pajeet and Chang working
>minimum wage above productivity

It's that fucking Obamacare man. 9/11 and shit, I tell ya.
>>
>>70753879
>blacks
>jobs
>Mexicans took black jobs

Nice meme there cuck
>>
>>70753879
>mexicans who took all the crap jobs, so the blacks who used to do them had to take other crap jobs.

Did your black bull tell you this?
>>
>>70755612
I worked at Winn-Dixie around the same time after moving across the country. The cashiers at W/D were paid minimum wage. Not surprisingly there was often money missing from the tills, they had trouble getting enough of them to show up to cover the store's needs, and they often sucked at the job. It wasn't just the cashiers. At Winn-Dixie everyone who worked there was stealing merchandise. Even the store manager was stealing cases of beer out the backdoor. The shrinkage of inventory was amazing. Very little of that happened at Pavilions.

I don't know if the the lower losses and more efficient operation of the store made up for the higher wages but since all other large grocery stores in southern California were also unionized, they were all cost competitive with each other. Don't know how well they would fare if they set up shop in a right-to-work state that prohibits requiring union membership.
>>
>>70755969
I mean am I wrong for still preferring part time ones since the full time ones I'm finding that are similar still pay like ass? I dunno I'm running out of options and it makes me feel so miserable.
>>
>>70757435
>>70757572

lord. I've worked in textile mills before they all went to other countries, and then I've worked in construction. in both cases, there were always black workers. and yeah, I know lots of american blacks are absolute worthless pieces of shit.

go outside sometimes. get some fresh air.
>>
>>70757572
Actually saw it myself. At Winn-Dixie there were three late middle age black men who cleaned the floors at night. They were all brothers who shared a house and shared shifts so each night there were two of the three working, covering all seven days of the week. Cleaning floors is what they were good at.

Then one day Winn-Dixie outsourced the floor cleaning to a company that brought in a bunch of Hispanics that didn't speak a word of English. The brothers weren't making much over minimum wage, maybe a dollar, but the three of them together made enough to afford a place to stay and a car. They did good work but somehow this outsourcing company was able to clean the floors using a greater number of employees when the black brothers were barely making over minimum? Floor cleaning is what these guys knew what to do. What are they expected to do now? Go back to school in their 50s and get a degree in computer programming? So now they're unemployed and on welfare, food stamps, section 8 and all the other social programs that we have to support through taxes. How did importing a bunch of Mexicans to put productive workers out of their jobs help anything?
>>
>>70758533
This is why I'm voting for trump.
All the illegals and pooinloos that do work for half the cost or less and then send their wages back home, while we have to deal with our wages amounting to jack shit.
I've had enough to be quite honestly family.
>>
>>70752412
Stop complaining. As long as you got a roof over your head and food on your table your doing alright.
>>
>>70759428
That's a fantastic attitude. Never complain, never ever try and make things better, just shut up and take it.
>>
>>70753050
maybe she adjusted for inflation when telling the story.
>>
>>70759323
Didn't he have shitty paid workers building his buildings too? He took advantage of people too.
>>
>>70759644
Since you don't live in America, you don't understand that it's not possible. You can't fight back anymore. The system is so fucked that you'll just get shut down. I would suggest someone from outside of this country organize and nuke the ever-loving fuck out of us because that's the only realistic solution to this problem.
>>
What I fucking hate is rightwing assholes saying 'if we raise the minimum wage then the prices have to be raised too!' They're already raising the prices of fucking everything but minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation.

Do I think people who flip burgers or people who mop floors should make $15/hr? No, but you should make enough so that you don't have to live just above or at the poverty line. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>70752412
us$ and breaking away from gold accelerated the inflation while wages dindn't keep up but cost of living definitely has

unless your main source of income is from your business or stocks, or you expect a sizable inheritance that's self-sustaining, you're pretty much fucked being a wageslave with no way out, that's a universal statement across all developed world
>>
>>70759915
There's plenty of similar problems here, ranging from the barbarian muslim hordes, baby boomers using up everything of value and taking the rest to their grave, politicians that would condemn a whole country to its death if it meant a cushy well paid office job and large global corporations circling the european continent like vultures.

As an individual you can still try your best to change things and people or at least make it out better yourself. Fuck everyone that has given up, they don't deserve jack shit.
>>
Stop living above your means.
>>
>>70759940
Sorry to bern your bubble reddit but all this means is that there are more factors affecting the cost of living. You cant pretend there is only 1. Typical leftists, thinking economics is that simple
>>
>>70759323

You're an idiot if you think Trump will seriously deport anyone or do anything about the beaner problem when he is a businessman that worships the almighty dollar (whilst saying he can afford everything).

>>70758296

You're not, honestly. I am in sort of the same situation as you but mine is a little more difficult. I live in a small-ish town where there are few places around to work at, so everything is in the city which is quite a good bit of miles away via highway. I don't have a car because I can't afford one, which means I also cannot afford insurance. In my state, you need insurance to get a license, which I also cannot get. So, even if I did get a car, I wouldn't be able to legally drive it which if I were caught would lead to more problems.

So, I can't get the city without seriously endangering my life (not worth the minimum wage I'll be paid) via biking or walking, and I cannot drive. We do not have public transportation here and I cannot always rely on people to take me to work.

The few jobs that are around here I have applied for again and again, yet got nothing. Had a few interviews, but nothing ever came of it.

It is infuriating trying to simply find someone to sell my time to.
>>
>>70752412
Globalization.
>>
>>70760625
I'm not a leftist you fuck bucket. I'm an independent and I think having Bernie 'Gibsyoudat' Sanders would fuck up the country. What needs to happen is the people in charge need to stop sucking the cock of big business and start taxing the shit out of anyone who outsources their work to Apu and Ping and Juan. Their sending all the money making jobs over to those countries while we're stuck with mostly service industry jobs and they still expect up to afford their product when they don't even lower the prices. Not to mention you have baby boomers who aren't going to leave their jobs until they fucking die and by then they'll probably outsource those jobs too.
>>
I remember having a conversation with my mom when I was 19 and in my 1st year of Uni. There I was, in the middle of my math/econ degree, struggling to get by. I asked my mom for some help. She told me to suck it up because she worked her way through school.

My problem:

My rent - 500/month
groceries - 150/month

school - 14 000 /year

my job? I was an assistant manager at Starbucks, earning a 29k salary. After taxes I was just barely, just BARELY able to pay for everything, and I was working full time and going to school part time. My salary worked to an hourly wage of roughly $14.

When my mom was in school, she was a fucking cashier at a grocery store, and earning $14, the same damn money, but in the early 80's. Her tuition was 1500/yr and her rent was $250.

So you can see the difference.
>>
>>70760868
Yeah for a time I didn't have a car either but I have one again luckily so I know the feeling. Been using stuff saved up for the insurance/gas.
>>
File: 1459366007818.jpg (52 KB, 650x634) Image search: [Google]
1459366007818.jpg
52 KB, 650x634
>>70755143
Wait wut? Story on this?
Why is that happening so much these days?
>>
>>70761304

It's just annoying me because the people I know are saying "it's super easy to get a job just apply yourself!" but in reality it is not. Maybe it is for some people, I don't know. It is not for me.

A few months ago my friend offered to help me get a job where he worked but then when I asked him about that a week later he said he was leaving and they needed people with licenses to drive the beaners around in the truck (it was landscaping). He knows I don't have a license or the insurance money or any of that, so I got my hopes up for that and then got shit on.

I'm not asking for a car or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have a little bit of help with something. Maybe a small loan to get the bootstraps I need to pull them up, you know? Fuck.
>>
>>70753879
Found the nigger
>>
File: CYngSusUQAAigZ7.jpg (15 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CYngSusUQAAigZ7.jpg
15 KB, 600x600
I will settle all this right here. These are the differences from the 90s:

- Tuition is now multiple times higher, and way more people go to college. Way more women go to college, and college is more useless. People are not as impressed with your Lib Arts degree. Also, any C-student can go to college now. That was not the case in the 90s. Student loans were a bit tougher to get.

- Shitty jobs were still shitty jobs but rent was cheaper. After 20 million illegal aliens and at least 20 million legal immigrants came in, housing filled up and rent doubled. It honestly has doubled in price.

- Consumerism is more rampant now. People are not happy with less. The Millenials are entitled faggots who think they deserve high pay. You have to fight for high pay by either sacrificing your life to a career. That was true in the 90s as well.

- The Internet wiped out millions of low and mid-paying jobs such as corner stores, resale, bookstores, mom and pop shops, and social hangouts like cafes that just don't exist anymore.
>>
>>70761841
Yeah I'm currently with a job placement place and even them are having problem. There was a potential part time warehouse thing but then right after they saw me (paperwork, interviews and everything) they suddenly decided to go on a hiring freeze and I never even had one day. I was so happy to finally say that I had a job but then it was pulled right under me.
>>
Shift in the job market. Manufacturing is gone thanks to trade deals and corporate greed. Most unskilled work is low-paying work in industries that haven't been unionized yet. It's time for labor to stand up for itself again, folks.
>>
>>70762242

I absolutely hate staffing agencies and it's such a pathetic way to defer responsibility. I'm also mad because they are absolute SHIT. Tried the ones here (there are two) and got the interviews, "call us if you see anything you'd like to do on our website but we'll also call you," etc. That weekend I went to their website and checked out the available jobs, called in, and got yelled at by the woman I had talked to that very Friday before. She said "DON'T CALL US WE'LL CALL YOU!" That was about three years ago now, and I never got a call. I did get quite a few junk mail shits and phone calls trying to sell me stuff, so they sold my information. Thanks a fucking lot. This is after someone I know recommended I try them. Didn't get anything at all from the other one after the interview.

I applied to a warehouse a few weeks ago. Apparently they'll take anyone no matter what. Nothing. Applied to a local hardware store and was told I needed retail experience. I applied to stock stuff. Retail experience to stock stuff. I applied to the local gas station and had recommendations from the manager there and multiple employees. Called the hiring person multiple times. Nothing. Tried to work in a shitty phone kiosk. Nothing. Tried to work at a fucking Sears and whilst I got along with the interviewer, he lied to me, and then I still didn't get the job. "Yes, I will contact you. Can't believe some people say that but then don't! I will be contacting everyone on _____ whether they got the job or not! Talk to you then." Emailed weeks later saying I wasn't chosen. That was also for stocking.

It just pisses me off.
>>
>>70762716
Yeah I know the feeling. That experience stuff is bullshit.
>>
>>70762895

Everything is bullshit, I think. We live in such a bullshit world that is seriously infuriates me to just think about it. You have to bullshit in order to take something, and everyone fucking fakes everything until they "make it."

I understand why people commit suicide, honestly. It's a fucking farce.
>>
>>70762716
Just lie on your resume about experience. The worst thing that can happen is they find out and don't hire you.
>>
>>70763239
I mean like I said I wish I didnt have my anxiety problems (though recent meds have made it some bit of improvement) and I prob could just "suck it up and work at walmart" but I can't .
>>
>>70763299

I have, and it killed me inside. I do not lie, and I know how that is in our current world but I just can't do it. I did it for the job at Sears. If I lie, it goes against everything I stand for and it means I'm just as shit as I think everyone else is. The lie on Sears was just expanding on some of the actual prior experience I had, and seriously that made me feel like shit.
>>
>>70763439
It's also embarrassing that I'm nearly 30 and don't have a real career. Hard to talk about this with people.
>>
>>70752412
When I was a kid (New Orleans), Schwegmann's was the local grocery store and they paid very well for the sector and market. The workers were worked hard and management was tough--people were fired. Often.

So they tried to unionize. After that Schwegmann's went downhill and eventually failed.

Translation: When faggots want to be paid more and work less, businesses fail.
>>
>>70763439
>>70763522

I have slight anxiety too, but I am willing to put it aside in order to work, if only I were given the opportunity.
>>
>>70763654
I mean I figured the warehouse thing would've been ok to start at , There is still a "slight" chance they undo their hire freeze and do hire me but I really can't rely on that it's been months now. Yeah nobody wants to give anyone time to improve themselves they want super experts right away.
>>
>>70754169
Holy shit, we've been fucked. I've heard even low-level secretaries right out of high school, who would get like $10/hr now used to get about $35k in todays dollars as well.
>>
>>70761238
Your mom sounds like a cunt.
>>
>>70763816

Well, I hope for you they do undo their freeze. I figured working in a warehouse would be a good thing too. Stocking too. Just something where I could space out and get my job done with time to think and be by myself or at least not around everyone. Apparently I'm not good enough to put stuff on shelves correctly.
>>
>>70752412
wages not rising with inflation, probably a lack of lateral movement in the job market is partly to blame.

If you can tell the kwik-e-mart to fuck off and get hired at the quicktrip for $1.50/hr more, you wouldn't be in this mess.

Maybe the low skilled laborers need help navigating how jobs work these days.
>>
File: 1450460682786.jpg (59 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
1450460682786.jpg
59 KB, 575x431
>>70752412
Socialism is a slow and insidious killer.
>>
Things have been bad since the mid 80's.
>>
>>70763522

A lot of people don't have careers. I'm guessing maybe only 20% of working people have something that might be called a career. Everyone else has jobs.

I find it embarrassing too to talk about my job, but I still try to make the best of it.

Most of my friends had part time jobs back during high school and college (I dropped out like a fucktard). Those really did help in the work experience department. I can easily tell if someone around my age has had previous relevant work experience or not

Also companys will try to hire the best possible employee for as little money as possible. That's why they put up ridiculous demands for basic entry level shit. They're hoping to find that one unicorn that's down on his/her luck and willing to work for way less than that they're "worth".
>>
>>70752412
I work as a cashier and make 11,50€/hour, its the extras that add up, double pay on sundays, extra 4€/hour after 6 pm, extra 5€/hour in saturdays etc.

Cant complain since lolnobills.
>>
File: bill.jpg (23 KB, 470x217) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
23 KB, 470x217
>>70752412
I used to buy Kraft Dinner for 30 cents a box in the early 1990s. Now it is a dollar.

Housing prices have quadrupled since then. Wages sure haven't.
>>
>>70764229
That's why like I said I would be fine with min wage at first especially if it was a part time job, I figure that comes with the territory right? But then there's full time ones with around the same wage then I question wither or not I can really commit to that kind of abuse.
>>
>>70753650
I can vouch, the cashiers have the same union as the meat cutters in many areas and made bank after some years.

This is why beef processors moved to right to work states and hired beaners. It's now 10x cheaper to order pre-cut meat vac-packed and the 'butcher' at the store just breaks the packs up and wraps the meat.

There are still real grocery stores with real butchers, and in some areas real butcher shops, though. But for the rest it's basically the same shit from the same 2-3 companies and it all comes vac-packed.
>>
From 1999 to 2003, a quarter pounder at McDonald's was a fucking DOLLAR, if you didn't get cheese.

In the same period of time, you could get a half pound beef and potato burrito at taco bell.

By far, food prices are the best indicator that it was easier to get by on menial work in the 90s.
>>
>>70761841
Why don't you get a fucking drivers licence? It's not hard. It was the first thing I did when I turned 16.
>>
>>70763299
Probably the best advice. Just don't lie about something you can't learn within a few days.
>>
>>70765016
>a quarter pounder at McDonald's
>a half pound beef and potato burrito at taco bel

>what is cooking?
>>
>>70765156

I do not have money for insurance, and in my state it is required.
>>
>>70752412
People (millenials especially) are just lazier these days and think they're working harder when they really aren't.
>>
>>70764721
Just try to go for full time and make the best of it. I can't really tell what your working climate is from here.

About 18 months ago I got hired for a warehouse job trough a temp agency. The job was supposed to be for 2 months, but due to persistence from my end and some luck (someone else left) I managed to score a 3 month contract.

After that I got a one year contract, also due to hard work and luck. Now I've got a "permanent" position and have a lot of responsibilitys. Still not exactly a career mind you, but I'm working on getting training, a drivers license, possibly an education and maybe even score a job as an overseer. I've sure as fuck doing the work of one at least.

A bit of luck and good work ethic is sometimes all that you need. However you're gonna have to put up with a lot of crap. There's plenty of times where I'd rather just quit due to stress, and I'm constantly looking for "better" jobs.

Not sure if this posts helps or not, but I hope you do land a good job soon.
>>
>>70763522
Chin up bro. A lot of people your age haven't found their path yet. You will get there. Just keep showing up, smiling, and busting your ass.
>>
>>70765369
God damn it those are just excuses.

Get a bicycle, I know a guy who bikes an hour each way to work just for the exercise.
>>
>>70765367
The point still stands. A pound of ground beef is like $5 now. Eggs are like $2.50-3.00/dozen. It wasn't always this way.

What the fuck is up with the disappearing captchas for bodies of water?
>>
>>70752543
This. Also the value of the dollar has gone down.
>>
>>70765483

I have a bicycle. I ride it to where I can. The problem is, the jobs are a few hours away in the nearest city. That is going over highways too, where bicycles are illegal to ride. How is this a fucking excuse? In order to work I'd have to never sleep and then break the fucking law to get to a job.
>>
>>70763479
Yeah well send out 150 more applications and you'll be so desensitized to the whole process you won't care anymore.
>>
>>70765369
How much would insurance cost for 6 months?
>>
>>70765478
Show up to what? Waking up still in my parents house? :) If you mean my eventual job then yeah I guess so.
>>
>importing 50 million Mexicans
>wages didn't rise! WTF CAPITALISM IS SHIT!!!

Fuck this gay Earth
>>
>>70765663

I can't. It would go against everything I stand for and I just can't do that. My way is not the way to get ahead in the world, but it's the way I have chosen and what I adhere to.

>>70765767

More than I can afford with $0.00 USD.
>>
>>70765475
Adding to this what >>70765483 says

I don't have a license here either because getting one here is very expensive, I suck at driving and I don't like it either.

To get to work I have to either bike 45 minutes each way, score a ride with a co worker or pay money for public transport which costs 6 euros and costs me 2 hours and 20 minutes of my time due to fucked up scheduling and a weird route.

Its not fun, but you get used to it. On my bike I listen to music and get good exercise. When on public transport I read books.
>>
>>70765797
Oh didn't realize you meant NEET. I thought you at least had a job.
>>
>>70765812
I really don't know if it's "totally" the illegals fault like people want to blame(I really think it is a lot of different factors combining together) because I have seen stories where they got rid of all the illegals on a farm for example and then they couldn't find anyone to work there.
>>
>>70765857
Give me an estimate. Some faggots, myself included, may be able to help with some bux
>>
>>70765915
Yeah atm I'm a pathetic NEET. :)
>>
>>70765812
What do you think drove them to put profits ahead of their countrymen. Capitalism is no better than Communism. Two sides of the same perverted Jewish coin.
>>
>>70753879
yes it has, your housing and food costs are significantly more expensive, not to mention obamacare
>>
>>70758313
Nc?

I hear this story a lot
>>
>>70765893
I got myself a 50cc scooter for transportation when I was down on luck, they are quick if derestricted, cheap af to run but notoriously easy to steal
>>
>>70766030

I'm not accepting charity. I want a job, not fucking handouts.
>>
>>70766192
not him but I'm in North Carolina myself.
>>
>>70759323
Trump used to paperless beaners on his buildings and does all he can to suppress unionization. He's a god damn hypocrite.
>>
>>70765857
>I can't. It would go against everything I stand for and I just can't do that. My way is not the way to get ahead in the world, but it's the way I have chosen and what I adhere to
Dude...come on man.
>>
>>70752412
... does her nametag say "JUST" ?
>>
>>70765960

Generally, this is because it isn't done broadly- boot the illegals in one farm, you're competing with ten others that didn't and the wages don't really change as a result.

Income vs. cost of living has been a continual losing battle since the 1980s, and in no way are wages keeping up with increases in required spending like food or housing.
>>
File: 1460336208610.gif (779 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460336208610.gif
779 KB, 500x500
>>70765563
>A pound of ground beef is like $5 now. Eggs are like $2.50-3.00/dozen. It wasn't always this way.

It's true that inflation has increased much more rapidly than wages for many (especially minimum wage workers) but learning how to cook and buying sensibly is much much more economical and healthy than eating out all the time, or buying prepared heat-n-serve meals. I almost never eat out and never EVER buy heat-n-serve food and I can eat really cheap.

Just the other day I bought a bone-in rib roast that was on sale for $5.99 a pound, got a deal from the manager because I said I'd buy the giant one if he whacked another dollar off, then I brought it home, carved it into steaks, which I wrapped in saran wrap and then bagged and froze. Also I was able to get enough meat out from between the ribs to make a small meatloaf, and then I roasted and cracked the bones and made a couple quarts beef stock.

Now I'm eating steak and making fond beau all for the cost of one taco bell meal per day.

Learning to cook and buy food sensibly used to be one of the basic skills of a civilized person until quite recently, and it's costing poor people and middle-class folks alike.

>be millennial with decent job
>eat out every day
>why can't I afford home ownership?
>>
>>70766286
Almost all the old timers worked in textile mills for most of their lives until nafta came through.

Ross perot could have prevented this
>>
>>70766347

I'm not going to lie just to get a job. Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you people selling any bit of morality? Don't you have ethics or anything of the sort?
>>
>>70765586
OK I figured it out:

Join the military. They'll de-faggotize you quicker than anything else anyway.
>>
>>70752412
>Loss of American manufacturing jobs to Pajeet and Chang?

Basically this and immigration.
>>
>>70763479
I made up a huge elaborate set of lies complete with Google voice numbers for fake businesses. Out of that elaborate lie I was able to get a job as a forklift driver during my undergraduate years of college making 18 an hour part time. I had driven a forklift two or three times in my life, lied on resume saying I had driven one for three years. Used a fake google voice number to set up a fake business as a reference. Got the job, read everything I could on driving a forklift and did my best (I pretended like I was a bit rusty). Picked it up completely in a week or two, never looked back.

You can do the same shit with cooking/kitchen work or if you are a big guy, a bouncer/security.
>>
>>70755760
Im not self entitled for demanding 70k right out of college. Im worth it.
>>
>>70766432
I'm not disagreeing on home-cooking being better. My point was that even if you cook at home, it has still gotten way more expensive.
>>
>>70766434
Yeah a fair amount of those existed in my town (Gastonia) , I think maybe a few are still around like WIX Filters is still headquartered here
>>
>>70766556
>die for the Jews
>>
>>70766556
Sweet!

I'll even get a drinking problem and discount to applebees!
>>
>>70766105
sure it was unchecked Capitalism that caused it, but if we had leaders with spines they could've ended it decades ago.

we have no one to blame but ourselves for not stopping the immigration earlier, now its far too late.
>>
>>70766709

There's plenty of military jobs that don't require you to die for the jooz. mechanics, weatherman, office jobs, all sorts of shit never get deployed to front lines.

but if there are no jobs in your town, no car, and no money, learning to be a mechanic on the military's dime might not be a bad idea
>>
>>70766432
Until it no longer becomes completely economical. Have you ever actually gone to a grocery store and tried to buy healthy food that you can cook? It's not fucking cheap.
>>
>>70766234
Those also require a liscense. And you can only do one if you do a written test costing roughly 50 euros. At least, that used to be the case. nowadays you have to do a practical exam as well, and do "lessons". Which cost 400 euros.

You're better off just getting a drivers license which starts at 800 euros if you're talented, lucky or have previous experience. For most people it costs double that or more. This isn't taking in account the theoretical part which has a 50% failrate that is only in place to jew everyone out of their money.

E-bikes are also an option, however they're going to make insurance mandatory, and helmets as well due to their speed.

I'm trying to get a drivers license through my job currently.
>>
>>70766461
>live in an immoral country
>refuse to do everything possible
Yeah you sound like the kind of faggot no one would hire.

>>70766686
>Gastonia
Jesus man I'm sorry to hear that. I just moved out of that place to Belmont. Seeing all those abandoned factories was extremely depressing.
>>
>>70766709
>>70766811

Oh it's hopeless, utterly utterly hopeless!

Gosh here's hoping Bernie gets elected and give you more NEETbux!

Joining the military because you're poor and stuck in some back-ass place in the middle of nowhere in order to receive training in useful skills, lifelong free medical care and money isn't just for idiot meatheads you dummy.

If you're smart and have some self-developed skills in something they will put you to good use.
>>
>>70752412
My dad is an immigrant and made $25 bucks an hour as a carpenter in the 80s. He literally did not know what to spend his money on (he was 19).

He paid $120 for a 3 bedroom apartment in NY and split it with his brothers.
>>
>>70767070
He doesn't want help, he wants to cry like a little faggot bitch.
>>
>>70767053
You're just retarded and don't know how to cook
>>
>>70767053
>Have you ever actually gone to a grocery store and tried to buy healthy food that you can cook?

I do it every fucking week my man. For decades.

It's not "cheap" but the point is, it's "cheaper" than eating out or buying prepared meals, in terms of what kind of nutrition you can get for the dollar. Holy fuck don't make me kick your ass here in yet another debate about "waahhhh cooking at home is tooooo expensive!"

It's the cheapest, especially when you factor in health problems obtained from your shit diet. Plus if you learn to cook you'll probably finally get laid.
>>
>>70767070
Having a lot of friends enlist and get sent to the tail chasing in the sandbox only to come back all fucked up turned me off.

Call me when the US has an actual threat instead of our need to roll people over for Israel.
>>
File: 1444275272953.jpg (66 KB, 701x960) Image search: [Google]
1444275272953.jpg
66 KB, 701x960
>>70767066
>You're better off just getting a drivers license which starts at 800 euros if you're talented, lucky or have previous experience. For most people it costs double that or more.

wtf is that bullshit? Cost me about $50 for drivers ed class, which isn't mandatory, and like $40 to get my license after passing the tests.
>>
>>70767053
Aldi, nigga.

Also a Kroger card is a based thing to have in your wallet.
>>
>>70754169
>>70763883

Overall taxes are hire on hourly works are higher now then in 1976

You may be making 10$ an hour in 2016 but you company is paying 13.75 per hour for you. The extra 3.75 goes to payroll taxes.

Also, Obamacare adds more to that now.

So you pretty much making 18$ an hour, you just don't see it on your paycheck.
>>
>>70767069
Well isn't that all over the county really? But yeah most of the part time options are working in retail and food stores. I'm really just not cut out for that sort of thing.
>>
>>70767337
dont bother, hes some 90s kid who grew up eating Hungry Man Meals and spaghettios, he doesn't know that healthy cooking isn't really that much more expensive.
>>
>>70767096
Forgot to add he remembers everything being affordable until about 1995-1996.
>>
>>70762716
I'm actually surprised you didn't get night stock. I used to be a night manager, and hirees were such a pain in the ass to find. Had to rebound for niggers and convicts. 80% of which would stop showing up after a week of work.

Or old fuckers who can barely move and you can't encourage to move their asses.
>>
>>70764215

about the time the birth rate dropped below 2.1
>>
Has any of you seen the documentary "Inequality for all"?
It's just the jews keeping down the purchasing power so people have to work (more).
>>
>>70767430
>healthy cooking isn't really that much more expensive
The way I do it, it's far cheaper.

I don't eat my steaks every day. Shit, two days ago my wife and I went to the state park just a few miles away, gathered about three dozen of the biggest mussels you ever saw, steamed them, ate half with a little butter and salad, then the next day I made a miso soup with the rest and we had just a little white rice and some cucumber and seaweed salad I made. Two days of eating for like $3.
>>
>>70766286
Food Lion is getting new management soon. A bigger company took over Delhaize, and things are going to change. My idea is there will be a lot of spots opening up soon.
>>
>>70767624
Reallly? My place always hires high schoolers. The ones that don't fuck around end up working for 3-4 years
[spoiler]Helps I live in the country with no blacks[/spoiler]
>>
>>70767355
Higher hourly wages before tax, more intense traffic, manual instead of automatic cars, different laws, a government anal about regulations, higher tax on goods, much higher tax on gasoline, more expensive learner cars with 2 sets of pedals, must have a certified driving instructor and general Jewry makes it very expensive. Roughly 50 euros per hour. On average a student will spend about 1000 in lessons, plus exams costs 200 euros per session. Most people fail at least once. Theory is another 40 euros and most people fail that once at least too, so that's another 80 euros down the drain.

After all that shit the licence itself costs you another 50 euros because fuck you.

That's about 1500 euros for the average person. If you aren't a great driver, or have a PMSing exam instructor you're looking at even higher costs.

Its still nothing compared to the complete scam you guys call college though.
>>
>>70767884

Eating things out of a state funded pond sounds like it wouldn't be a good idea at all.

I like the idea though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VzxxDTnB8
>>
>>70767903
Food Lion is a very scary place, I still remember all that bullshit about the bleached chicken in the 90s.
>>
>>70766686
Are you the cloaked gastonia man spreading meat around playgrounds????

But yeah all the mills in this area that are closed, it is fucking depressing.
>>
>>70753050
Cashier's in the 70's had to memorize the price of every single item in stock, they couldn't scan them.

You had to have at least an IQ of 150 to be a cashier back then, and over 85% of insane asylum residents were former cashiers during the 70's.
>>
>>70766311
>used to paperless beaners on his buildings
Actually it was Poles, they were papered, and it was legal at that time, and he didn't even do it, a subcontractor did.
>>
>>70752412
No dip shit, we've imported cheep labor from around the world. Still doing it, when you have to complete with 100 people willing to work for have of a living wage you're not going to get the job.....
>>
>>70768196
Nah I barely leave the house DESU.
>>
>>70768240
Or. You know. You could apply price tags.
>>
File: kochbaby!.jpg (245 KB, 748x748) Image search: [Google]
kochbaby!.jpg
245 KB, 748x748
>>70768240

>this entire post
>>
>>70767402
How can u generalize like that when income taxes vary between states? You have some states with 0 % income tax, thats sick.

And if u still make $10 an hour with those taxes, fuck me the owners pay you a sad salary
>>
>>70763883
>>70753879

And inflation was out of control
All that money she made was worthless next year
>>
>>70768357
Don't blame you. The gas house is a shit hole and charlotte is absurd to hang out in.

Cornelius here and I rarely go out unless I'm leaving town.
>>
>>70768136
You guys are so much more fucked than we are.

Your gasoline costs are pure highway robbery and it's like all taxes. Here's it's $2 a gallon now taxes included. I bet it's something retarded like 5 euros a liter for you.
>>
>>70768191
Where I grew up, that bleached chicken thing was on a billboard.

But that's long gone, and there's a good chance their meat stuff is getting revamped again under this new company.

The store name isn't going to change, but it will probably see some hardcore reorganization. Which means jobs. And if you bust your ass, you can move up. Especially because managers from the old company will be coming down to carpetbag the South while looking for retirement spots. Check their website hardcore starting in May-June.
>>
>>70768240
I don't know how you guys use to do it, be we just had them all written down in a book
>>
>>70768181
>Eating things out of a state funded pond
Actually I was at pic:

But in any event I also kill and eat fish and game that come out of the County, State, and Federal owned forests any chance I get.
>>
>>70768136
I've read that NL driving instructors can accept sexual services as payment but only if proposed by the learner, is this true?
>>
>>70754757

Former Lucky's fag here. Worked there for 3 months my senior year. (1994). Cashiers made around $17-$18 back then, and that was with at least 7-8 years in as a courtesy clerk. (Bagger). It was a big deal to get that "promotion" with the box cutter and apron.

I was making $6.60/hr starting. Weekly pay. Was good cash back then. Got fired for a bullshit reason a day before my union representation kicked in, which happened to dozens of other clerks before me.

Many people I worked with way back then are still there, as cashiers, but now pushing 25-30 years seniority. I now live in the midwest where groceries are union, and high school kids are cashiers and stockers on the first day. When back in California for a visit I mentioned this fact and they were in disbelief, lel.
>>
>>70768702
Well I mean that's still food store so I really don't know about being able to handle that. I thought warehouse or something would be better given my anxiety issues. Just doing something with little to no contact with other people and getting it done.
>>
File: Baby-diploma.jpg (25 KB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
Baby-diploma.jpg
25 KB, 450x448
>>70768240
This is why I come here. To learn.
>>
>>70752412
Because they didn't use credit cards on everything and they didn't have a cellphone bill of 100 bucks a month, internet bill, cable bill and a bunch of other nonsense. If people eliminated these costs the would actually see themselves saving money.
>>
>>70766432
this fucking faggot right here thinks millenials can't afford detached homes because they don't know how to cook.

Holy fucking christ this is the dumbest post of the day on 4chan.
>>
>>70768999
Night shift stock, brother. You pick shit up, you shove it on the shelf. It's a good work out and you can have headphones in most of the night.

And if you bust your rear, it promotes quick because nobody wants to do it.
>>
>>70768240
BASED BRITKEK WITH THE FACTS
>>
>>70769058
I personally still use a flip phone right there you save a bunch on phone service. No data plan.
>>
>>70752412
My grand MA made 18 an hour telemarketing in the 1970s equal to about 50hr today
>>
>>70769150
I mean something to think about but I'm more used to waking up sooner than I used to (around 9/10am now sometimes sooner) so that would really mess up my sleep.
>>
>>70753879
Close, the loss of industry to other countries pushed skilled laborers into unskilled jobs, displacing workers in those jobs and lowering their income.

This loss of middle class income manifests itself as increased unemployment, increased welfare use and higher income inequality. The issue isn't that the rich have too much money, rather that there aren't enough opportunities to make a decent living in the USA
>>
>>70768667
1.45 per liter currently. Most of that is taxes. At some point it was over 2 euros. However removing trade sanctions from Iran did lower the cost significantly.

If our government needs more money for rapefugee benefits or higher paychecks then gasoline or other car related taxes are usually first to go up.

>>70768957
Grey area. They're allowed to give away free lessons if they so choose. And they're allowed to receive sexual favors if both parties are consenting adults. Same as in your country.

However I'm not sure if advertising it that way is legal, I don't think it is. its usually done trough internet back pages.
>>
>>70752412
>tripcode
Stop
>>
>>70769067
>millenials can't afford detached homes because they don't know how to cook

It's true. That and the meme degrees that they get which qualify them for minimum wage service sector jobs.

If you learned how to cook you could save lots of money over time. Next lesson, brewing your own alcohol. They managed to do it in Sumeria and they didn't even have the internet.

Saving money by not wasting it on luxuries like eating out adds up.

Next lesson: how to buy an acre of productive prime bottom land in a corn state with the $7000 you save in a year by not eating out and not drinking fucking store-bought beer.
>>
>>70752412
So is America going to fall anytime soon?
>>
>>70769354
>there aren't enough opportunities to make a decent living in the USA
lets increase the supply of labor then!
>>
>>70767053
Define healthy because it's not chicken nuggets and frozen pizza. Nor is it organic fifteen grain nut bread from Whole Foods. Every time I see someone claim healthy food is too expensive it turns out that they're an idiot at shopping and buy stupid shit like macadamia nuts. Or most the time they haven't even tried and just go by what some celebrity told them.

Look at the pic. There is no restaurant that sells a burger that looks like that for $0.99. And fast food or casual dining restaurant charges $4.99 for a salad that size. But people like you see that photo and cry that food is too expensive when really it's your own failure as a consumer to invest a bit of time in improving your shopping and eating habits. BTW, the ingredients for both the burger and the salad would be well under $1 if you made them at home.
>>
>>70769394
>1.45 per liter currently. Most of that is taxes. At some point it was over 2 euros. However removing trade sanctions from Iran did lower the cost significantly.
>If our government needs more money for rapefugee benefits or higher paychecks then gasoline or other car related taxes are usually first to go up.

Damn son, but you've been on this road for a while. I was in the NL back when you still had guilder and not only was gas pricey as fuck even then, but you were also full up on turks and other various rapefugees in Amsterdam and Den Haag.
>>
>>70769320
Nigger, you just said you wanted a minimum wage job that doesn't deal with people. I'm giving you one. And really, most night shift gives you an extra dollar an hour as hazard pay. Fuck, I'd even lie and say I was a previous boss of yours if you needed a reference.

The world is not coming back to the 90's. You find your way anyway you can. Like our great grandparents. I climbed my way out of a shit hole by starting with part time night stock.
>>
>>70769631
This meme. God damn it I had a scathing response to that image all typed out before I even read your comment.

I was triggered and have PTSD now.
>>
>>70769682
gas prices in europe are so high because almost 3/4 of the price are taxes (VAT, excise duty and a host of other contributions like subsidizing renewable energy sources)

this is the reason most newer cars sold here are turbodiesels and because they get higher MPG
>>
>>70769694
Yeah I said it was something I'd consider maybe.
>>
>>70768998
Sounds a lot like Pavilions. It's funny how cashier at the stores out west is considered one of the top jobs while in the right to work states it's usually an entry level position. Technology changes probably will destroy them all soon. I pretty much buy all my dry goods now through Amazon Pantry but still go to Publix for meat and produce or anything they have a good BOGO deal on. If Amazon Fresh enters this market, I might give up on ever going to the grocery store again.
>>
>>70769682
Turks and those from marocco were "migrant workers". Basically the big corps back in the day lobbied until our government gave them permission to import tens of thousands insane goatfuckers for below minimum work. As a way to keep "production here". The factories closed a decade or two later anyways, and the muslims reproduced like crazy while not working.

The cities at this point are irredeemable, and there's a ton of complication our government refuses to even acknowledge. That's not even counting the crime they brought here.

We're in for round two with the syrian rapefugees though.

I'm off to bed, gotta be a good goy wageslave tomorrow.
>>
>>70770096
>turbodiesels and because they get higher MPG
Didn't you guys get the memo that VW has been faking all their TDI emissions and mileage tests?

To get the good mileage they turn into smog machines, they literally sense when they're being emissions tested and shift into a super-eco-mode that is never used in normal driving.

It's going to cost them billions in recalls in the USA alone, billions more in law suits and even more billions in lost sales.

VW is fucking finished and other companies use the exact same tricks. It's an incredible scandal and was only discovered by some clever grad students at a US University.
>>
>>70770435

>We're in for round two with the syrian rapefugees though.
>I'm off to bed, gotta be a good goy wageslave tomorrow.

Here's hoping Geert can stage a coup.
>>
>>70770006
Yeah, it shows up in these food threads almost every time. I'm sure it came from some HAES activist. Numbers and reality don't mean much to them. One of their leaders claimed she was so healthy that she ran a sub four minute mile. Never mind that no woman has ever run a four minute mile in any competition ever and only a handful of men have. Fatties just make shit up and their followers believe it because it excuses their failures.
>>
>>70768509

your right i forgot, I was not even including sales tax and state income tax.
>>
File: based.png (73 KB, 221x200) Image search: [Google]
based.png
73 KB, 221x200
>>70770902
/pol/'s favorite video before Empire of Dust came along.
>>
>>70769490
Europe will fall first. We will have to destroy it to save it once again
>>
>>70769631
>>70770935

Aint no such thing as a dollar burger anymore , the dollar menu at mcdonalds and shit is pretty much dead when even the double cheese burger they came up with that has 1 slice less of cheese so that it could stay a dollar (McDouble) isn't even a dollar anymore you got problems.
>>
>>70770935
It's tough to know who would produce such an image, seems that I've encountered similar arguments from many different demographics over the many years I've been knocking around here on this planet. Especially poorer folk and people who can't into cooking.

I remember one night after a party a buddy and I whipping up some food (everything was "fair game" according to the drunken hosts) and they were actually amazed that we could make a real meal. One person even said it was "like a restaurant" when of course offended the both of us. That's when I realized that even my generation (I'm a Gen X'er) was fucked. Millennials are even way worse than we are, fucking like half of them don't even drive.
>>
>>70771275
Yep and people will still post that image and claim it's true.
>>
>>70771523
Yeah prob should be updated at least. It so sad though the price inflation.
>>
>>70769631
How would you tell people to go about learning that don't know how to cook, and would you concede that for some people time can be an issue? I basically work one job that has hours like two (and because other reasons involving student loans, I am still broke).
>>
File: Awwwww.gif (497 KB, 500x226) Image search: [Google]
Awwwww.gif
497 KB, 500x226
>>70771659
>>
>>70770744
that VW fiasco notwithstanding, diesels burn the charge through compression unlike spark-ignition of gasoline and thus reach higher efficiency in operation; a 2l 4-pot turbodiesel engine will consume some 30% less fuel than a comparable 2l 4-pot naturally aspirated gasoline engine

I know very well about the pollution left behind diesels (NOx and soot) as I am able to smell them while they're still miles ahead of me on my motorbike

I drive a gasoline powered car only because I don't do that many miles per year to economically warrant the use of diesel (initial price of diesels is higher)

LNG is also coming into play as a modification of gasoline engines only because of much lower excise duty on LNG
>>
>>70765857
Nut up and do it. As long as it's not a job where you're lack of qualification is putting someone's life at risk it doesn't matter. What kind of work are you even trying to get? There's jobs everywhere atm. And what were you doing at Sears that you need to lie about experience? It's fucking Sears.
>>
>>70771704
>How would you tell people to go about learning that don't know how to cook,

YouTube has literally tens of thousands of how to cook videos.

>and would you concede that for some people time can be an issue?

Absolutely not. That's a pathetic excuse. You don't have to enroll in a four year cooking program at a culinary institute. You learn a little at a time and build upon what you've learned. You're lazy and entitled. Stop being a piece of shit. You've got time to 4chan? You've got time to head on over to YouTube and learn to cook. God you fuckers are pathetic.

And before you expend more energy on finding excuses instead of learning, you don't need a kitchen full of expensive cookware nor do you need a cabinet and fridge full of expensive ingredients. GET THE FUCK OFF OF 4CHAN and go LEARN.
>>
>>70771704
>time can be an issue
It doesn't take up a lot of time to cook. Mostly you start something cooking, set a timer, do something else for a while, come back, attend to your food, and repeat a couple times.

You can also prepare most kinds of food ahead of time, in large batches. It doesn't take any longer to cook 5 pounds of beans than it does to cook one cup of them.

Then you just reheat your food when you need it. This is how it was done for decades, remember lunch boxes? You can even just eat your own excellent home-made healthy food on the go.

I also keep nuts in my truck, bottled water, and some of those Joya brand sesame bars. Good quality solid energy that'll fill you up and keep you away from the fucking fast food joints. I also try to pack hot coffee or tea in the winter in a thermos, and an iced tea in the summer, that keeps me from popping into those fucking coffee huts that plague even remote rural areas now.
>>
>>70769394
1.45 is fucking bullshit.
It's 1,172 €/L for gasoline and under €1 over here for diesel.
Your government can't be that jewed.
I bet you're talking about the max price instead of the actual competitive pump price
>>
>>70771659
The problem with the image isn't inflation, it's the bullshit premise it's based upon.
>>
>>70752412

I can believe this. Globalisation/ Low skilled immigration fucks everyone who isn't an employer.

Unskilled migrant labour depresses blue collar salary, all blue collar workers who can move to white collar work do, which then depresses white collar salaries.

It's a giant conga line of pain.
>>
>>70771893
Oh I realize diesels are just objectively better from most perspectives, except pollution. I don't have a problem with it but I think that Europeans aren't generally aware of how bad VW fucked up here. That was my only point.

Soon it will be possible for me to drive an electric vehicle on the highway and save my truck for forest service roads.
>>
>>70767053
Chicken, eggs, and rice are all cheap as hell. Good ol' PBJ or tuna on whole wheat bread. Please. Food is cheap if you aren't an idiot.
>>
>>70766592
>Out of that elaborate lie I was able to get a job as a forklift driver

I can believe this, we had a tractor when I was a kid that had a blade on the front and a shovel on the back, and I learned how to drive the tractor and operate both implements with super precision. Didn't even take that long either, it was like the best fucking video game ever but in real life.

I could easily even today craft some elaborate fictional backstory and BS my way into running either a dozer or a backhoe.
>>
>>70772316
>whole wheat bread
Just no, might as well eat newspaper and sugar.
>>
>>70772281
>electric vehicle
me too, love the constant max power and torque of electric cars, my only concern is the longevity of their still very expensive battery packs; it's a shame batteries were chosen over fuel cells as a power source, those could last a long time and provide virtually unlimited range by filling up
>>
File: mast_logo.gif (17 KB, 346x156) Image search: [Google]
mast_logo.gif
17 KB, 346x156
>>70772786
>my only concern is the longevity of their still very expensive battery packs

Yes but as a ham radio nerd, computer geek, and all around electronics hobbyist I have learned over the years that properly caring for the different battery technologies can have a massive impact on their working lives.

My plan for EV range extension is a small Honda generator and a 5 gallon gas tank in the trunk!

Google pic and read, prepare your mind's anus for battery enlightenment.
>>
>>70766647
>My point was that even if you cook at home, it has still gotten way more expensive
Depends what you make.

Some beef - like $1
some bacon - like $1
2 onions - works out at maybe 50 cents
some mushrooms - works out at maybe $1
spaghetti - legitimately cents

Just fed two people for under $4. inb4 lots of faggoty comments about the ingredients. bitches don't know about the beef/bacon/onion/mushroom/sauce masterpiece spaghetti dish. I even know some retards who just use the sauce on its own for half their lives and don't even think to add other stuff.
>>
>>70773191
...and add the sauce itself (lel@me). It's also like $2 a jar.

So yea call it 5 or 6 bucks.
>>
File: eb9.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
eb9.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
I make $28 an hour at Costco as a cashier
>>
File: costco2.png (513 KB, 718x836) Image search: [Google]
costco2.png
513 KB, 718x836
>>70772269
I can live a pretty nice life with what I earn. Skills required: being able to show up on time and able to move faster than a snail.
>>
File: 1388609826703.jpg (6 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1388609826703.jpg
6 KB, 251x251
>>70773495
sup friend

and we haven't even divulged the bonus structure, pension and health benefits

>mfw
>>
>>70773050
>My plan for EV range extension is a small Honda generator and a 5 gallon gas tank in the trunk!
no-go in Europe, most modifications we install in our vehicles have to be homologated and officially approved, most of them require professional installation thus making DIY solutions either uneconomical or impossible; disregarding the law results in heavy fines and revocation of vehicle registration until fixed

tnx for the battery university suggestion, I'll look into it
>>
>>70773928
I didn't mean to say that I was rigging it up to the car, just that if I ran out of juice I could kick back and recharge in an emergency. Probably go fishing while the thing runs even.
>>
>>70774038
Sorry if my lingo is unclear, I mean I will remove the generator from the trunk, set it on the road, and run the power cable to the car etc.

I don't think anybody here in the USA would get in LEGAL trouble for rigging up a generator inside their own vehicle though it seems dumb from a safety perspective.

You Europoors basically have to sign out forms in triplicate in order to take a dump it seems from the stories about regulations I hear.
>>
>>70767400
Kroger's fucking outrageous. Spend 45 freedom bucks on a Sam's Club or Costco warehouse membership. It pays for itself in the first or second grocery trip.
>>
>>70773495
>>70773515
>>70773614

Yeah I always hear Costco is one of the nicest employers out there. Too bad we don't have one anywhere near me. I think Charlotte has one but I've never been inside it only Sam's Club.
>>
>>70774480
They're a sex cult dude, that's why everybody's so happy.
>>
>>70774237
Costco is $55...but it's also better than Walmart.
>>
>>70774038
>>70774223
understood, that fishing application would be no problem but inside the trunk not a snowball's chance in hell

>You Europoors basically have to sign out forms in triplicate in order to take a dump it seems from the stories about regulations I hear.
like you wouldn't believe, it's as if legislators take their entire voting base for idiots and actively try to legitimize as many bureaucratic jobs as possible, you have to commit 100% to whatever regulated thing you wish to do, makes one a bretty gud little hoop jumper
>>
File: reagan.jpg (77 KB, 570x855) Image search: [Google]
reagan.jpg
77 KB, 570x855
>>70752412
Thirty years of Republican economic policies caused this shit.
>>
File: Reaganomicstrickledownlaughter.jpg (74 KB, 625x550) Image search: [Google]
Reaganomicstrickledownlaughter.jpg
74 KB, 625x550
>>70752412
Where do you think the trillions being hidden offshore came from? It came from you and me desu
>>
>>70774600
>Costco is $55
Still a good deal when you can get 50 pound bags of rice and potatoes for under 20 dollars. I did not know Costco's membership cost senpai.
>>
>>70769183
>personally i still use a flip phone
**tips**
>>
>>70774480
As far as "retail" goes it's pretty much unmatched. Sure you get the same retail BS from time to time like pissy co-workers or customers crying about something but all in all it's a very good place to work.

The proof is the number of people walking around the warehouse I work in that have been in the company for >20 years. Picture your average 20 year veteran of retail. They're pretty much suicidal and lamenting a life wasted. They're wrinkled to fuck and appear to have lost the ability to smile. They're probably driving a 15 yr old Chevy Cobalt with doors that aren't the right colour. They live in a shitty house or are still renting a room in someone elses house. They are almost certainly either obese or really skinny because they do copious amounts of drugs to numb the pain of their existence.

The 20 yr dude in Costco is well groomed, well dressed, drives his new SUV around and is earning something approaching $60k if he can't be fucked with the extra responsibility and money for being a manager level. He goes home and logs on to a site to see his beefy pension pot that Costco throws buckets of money into each paycheque for him. When he's not feeling the great he goes to see his healthcare professionals and takes his benefit card out of his pocket instead of being presented with a bill for 3 months pay. He takes his 5 weeks vacation a year and goes on some cruises and ski trips. His kids might go to college so he hits up Costco for the scholarships they give out to the family of employees. He generally has a nice life

I basically recommend to any kid (by kid I mean people who are like 16-20) who isn't destined to become a Doctor or Engineer to forget the idea of doing a geography degree and ending up with a mountain of debt and a shit job at Starbucks. Spend the 4 years in Costco and already be earning twice the average salary with no debt while laughing at all your debt riddled friends who are already on the path to suicidal thoughts mentioned above
>>
>>70774812
>that fishing application would be no problem
Shit from what I hear fishing licenses are expensive as fuck over there too.

I doubt you're more regulated than I am though, Oregon's fishing regulations are easily the most complicated in the world.
>>
File: chile.jpg (15 KB, 228x251) Image search: [Google]
chile.jpg
15 KB, 228x251
>>70775351
>not **flips**
>>
>>70759428
y-yes massuh
>>
Your coworker spent all of their wealth on meaningless crap and robbed herself of an early retirement
>>
>>70774908
>democrats have been in power 16 of the last 30 years
>>
File: slo_rib_revir_okolis[1].png (702 KB, 800x521) Image search: [Google]
slo_rib_revir_okolis[1].png
702 KB, 800x521
>>70775760
fishing association of slovenia manages all fresh water bodies, its individual local fisheries member organizations manage colored areas in pic related

you can be a member of a local fishery organization, about 200 EUR yearly expense but it depends on the region you're interested in, you get cheaper permits for that area but pay like any other non-member in other areas; permit prices vary wildly

there are fishing seasons for different species and minimum sizes of caught fish that you can keep

enforcement is carried out by accredited members of local fisheries organization, I believe that fines are pretty steep

there are limits as to what kinds techniques and lures you may use, some rivers allow only catch-and-release sports fishing

hunting is even more fucked up
>>
>>70775760
>I doubt you're more regulated than I am though, Oregon's fishing regulations are easily the most complicated in the world.

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/license-information/

Damn, you weren't kidding. I gave up fishing when I moved to Georgia but an annual fishing license here or Alabama were about $10 per year and covered most waterways.
>>
>>70776700
You literally need to know the name of every fucking stream and river you wish to fish and which drainage it goes into.

It's not that bad once you get used to it all though and I've never been harassed by an ODFW worker, they're all nice to me.

Game wardens can sense evil +10 though, my grandpa's best buddy was a game warden and he'd tail poachers for weeks, recording each illicit kill, so that when he busted them he could put them away for decades.
>>
>>70776651
>fishing association of slovenia manages all fresh water bodies, its individual local fisheries member organizations manage colored areas in pic related
>you can be a member of a local fishery organization, about 200 EUR yearly expense but it depends on the region you're interested in, you get cheaper permits for that area but pay like any other non-member in other areas; permit prices vary wildly

Wow, so it's probably way more expensive than I even thought.

>there are fishing seasons for different species and minimum sizes of caught fish that you can keep

Yes this is normal for the USA too.

>enforcement is carried out by accredited members of local fisheries organization, I believe that fines are pretty steep

Here we have armed game wardens and they're not to be fucked with.

>there are limits as to what kinds techniques and lures you may use, some rivers allow only catch-and-release sports fishing

This is all true here too.

>hunting is even more fucked up

I can only imagine.

Pic is California game wardens, Oregon are similarly equipped.
>>
>>70776981
But the fishing is worth the effort in Oregon? Part of the reason why I gave it up when I moved to Atlanta was that fishing in Georgia isn't all that great. Alabama has some good lakes, and when I lived in Michigan the same was true.
>>
File: old-people-trolling.png (21 KB, 571x392) Image search: [Google]
old-people-trolling.png
21 KB, 571x392
>>70752412
OP, you're getting trolled by that old ass woman.
>>
>>70777448
>But the fishing is worth the effort in Oregon?
People travel from all over the world to fish here anon.

>Part of the reason why I gave it up when I moved to Atlanta was that fishing in Georgia isn't all that great. Alabama has some good lakes, and when I lived in Michigan the same was true.

People fish in Georgia, but it might not be the kind of fishing you're used to. I haven't ever traveled to the SE (except Florida) but I know many people down there fish their brains out.

Fishing contributes more to lost productivity in the USA than drugs, alcohol, and illness together.

Here's a salmon I caught.
>>
ENOUGH MEMEING ENOUGH MEMEING ENOUGH MEMEING ENOUGH MEMEING

OK now let's shift gears and get back on topic:

Today you can procure a home loan with the most favorable interest rate in history. In the 1990s there was an exceptional real estate boom that never stopped in certain markets (namely large cities) but if you are willing to either commute or seek employment rurally you can obtain a nice home and some land even.

In the 1990s this was possible but you would be paying an extra 4% interest or so. Additionally, today there are more Federal home ownership programs where you typically only have to put 3% down.

So, home ownership is cheaper than ever before, but because millennials can't cook, that means they can't save enough money to buy car insurance, which means they can't get a job, which means they will never obtain property.
>>
LQQK LQQK, read:

>>70778154

Sorry for samefagging but it's all true.
>>
>>70777218
The handful of Warden's I've talked to while fishing were basically /pol/-lite with a badge. As long as you had your license and weren't drinking, they'd hang around and shoot the shit about anything.
>>
>>70755969
Stop being a bitch and talk to people.
>>
>>70754169
it only gets worse from here on out
>>
>>70778352
>/pol/-lite with a badge
I don't know about the 'lite' around here!

Why don't millennials fish? I don't know any city kids that fished, I was the only one.

Out in the country they fish still of course. Rural people give me hope for the future of America.
>>
>>70761967
Found the cousin fucker
>>
>>70752412
This old guy at the store I work told me that he made like $11 an hour back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Adjusted for inflation that's about $30 an hour today, almost twice what the current top-off wage is.
All the old-timers say that retail was a pretty good gig back in the day. It all went to shit after the big corporate takeovers in the 90's. Benefits and wages faded as the years went by. What was once a decent middle-class job is now a hopeless dead-end one.
>>
>>70778430
Because that's just so easy with anxiety problems, oh wait it isn't. Believe it or not something so basic can be a nightmarish hell for people.
>>
>>70761841
Walk your ass to a store, put in application.

Talk to people you know, etc etc etc.

You know, get the fuck off the internet and fix your shit.
>>
>>70774931
>Where do you think the trillions being hidden offshore came from? It came from you and me desu

Lol, 'your' wealth? This is exactly why the left does not understand how economics works.

You voluntarily gave them your money in exchange for a good or a service. And the only reason why they keep it offshore is so the government doesn't steal any more of THEIR money. Fucking leftist retard.
>>
File: tumblr_nirou7Y2JX1s43eg2o1_500.jpg (69 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nirou7Y2JX1s43eg2o1_500.jpg
69 KB, 500x281
>>70778790
>anxiety problems
>>
>>70778833
You will never reason with them, mockery is much more effective.
>>
>>70778852
Yes it's a real thing.
>>
>>70760422
Shut the fuck up.
>>
File: martin-luther.jpg (159 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
martin-luther.jpg
159 KB, 480x360
>>70778995
No it's not nigga it's called get out of bed and go talk to people.

Anxiety is just an excuse as are 99% of all mental disorders.
>>
>>70778790
You'll get used to it the more you do you fucking autismo.

Your anxiety comes from being an internet nerd who doesn't get the fuck out and talk to people.

Say hi to the cashier on occasion instead of being a creep serial killer looking motherfucker using the self check out.
>>
>>70779049
No really, he's serious. Stop it with the luxury goods until your household's basics are under control.
>>
>>70758533
The only ones who win in situations like these are the corporations. American workers and taxpayers get fucked , just because Pablo is willing to work for $5 an hour.
>>
>>70758533
How does employing people who do a worse job for their cost simply for the sake of employing them help anything?

You're effectively asking for jobs as a gift of welfare in that case.
>>
>>70779073
It is a real thing. Try having to take meds so your ass doesn't wake up from sleeping out of nowhere with a panic attack even though nothing happened and you weren't having a nightmare. Try that same feeling being with you all fucking day even though nothings wrong and you are otherwise in a good mood. Don't tell me it isn't real when I clearly feel physically sick.
>>
>>70779121
It really is that simple.
>>
>>70778531
I fish when I can. It's about as relaxing as shitposting on /pol/.
>>
>>70779082
Autism and Anxiety disorders are 2 different things.
>>
File: IT2Fsps.jpg (187 KB, 867x1500) Image search: [Google]
IT2Fsps.jpg
187 KB, 867x1500
>>70779298
Pussy. Stop making excuses for your drug habit.
>>
>>70779298
>It is a real thing.
No it's not.

>Try having to take meds
Nobody 'has' to take brain pills.

>wake up from sleeping out of nowhere with a panic attack even though nothing happened and you weren't having a nightmare

So fucking what, start eating properly and your likely nutrition-derived psychoses will disappear.

Also you are what you eat, this counts for your brain too.

>Try that same feeling being with you all fucking day even though nothings wrong and you are otherwise in a good mood.

Now you're just making up boogeymen in your mind.

>Don't tell me it isn't real when I clearly feel physically sick.

You probably have a shitty diet and it's making you malnourished which can negatively impact brain function. In fact I am 99% sure that's the case.

It's because you're a millennial and you don't know how to cook which means you can't save up money and get a car and drive to work so you just sit around belly aching all the time instead.
>>
>>70763479
I know how you feel, but there's no other way to make it. The only reason I haven't resorted to blatant lying yet is because I'm not a good bullshitter, but I plan on just making it seem like I worked everywhere longer than I did. Despite not having a pathetic resume, I still can't even get a decline e-mail from anyone. Don't believe that everyone out there is better than you. They're all LYING or are related to someone in the company. Lie your fucking ass off, just think of it as revenge.
>>
>>70779335
Catch anything good recently?

I caught a stargazer a while back, one of the most venomous fish in the world and it has an electrical shock organ too. Friggin' scary.
>>
File: 1433905835446.png (16 KB, 290x335) Image search: [Google]
1433905835446.png
16 KB, 290x335
>>70752412
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.