[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think of buddhism? Isn't the Noble Eightfold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: buddh.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
buddh.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
What does /pol/ think of buddhism? Isn't the Noble Eightfold Path basically the direct cure for degeneracy?
>>
No. Buddhism is a depressing, hedonistic, lazy religion which only makes sense when you assume eternal reincarnation as a given.
>>
>>70717499
>hedonistic
I can see how some people might think the other things, but no one can accuse it of being hedonistic
>>
>>70717499
It's only depressing when viewed through the lens of a materialistic first world western consumer such as yourself.

I believe Buddhism is the right path for the educated. The masses need a more defined and rigid system, Christianity is perfect for this
>>
>>70717334
>Isn't the Noble Eightfold Path basically the direct cure for degeneracy

Someone who really knows the dharma will never say that.

>assume eternal reincarnation

first is not reincarnation but "rebirth" and second
it's not a given but a damnation. Buddhist path is meant to avoid being rebirth.
>>
>>70717499
aussie shitposting strongly
don't even a reaction meme for this
>>
>>70717897
rare
a
r
e
>>
I don't share too much of /pol/'s worldview but threads about Buddhism are usually so reasonable for some reason.

Maybe i should tattoo a swastika on my forehead.
>>
>>70717334
>Isn't the Noble Eightfold Path basically the direct cure for degeneracy?
Bullets work better.
>>
>>70717334
Atheist here

If I had to pick a religion it would definitely be Buddhism (non dogmatic Theravadan). It's still a religion to me and has a lot of unscientific claims, but some of its ideas are far superior to that of any other religion (impermanence, dependant arising, middle way, no self, etc.). I don't think it's a 'cure' for degeneracy though.
>>
>>70717897
are you a khmer rouge?
>>
>>70720616
*tips fedora*
>>
>>70720616
>Implying Atheism is based on scientific claims.
Buddhism is by definition agnostic. Gautama Buddha specifically said that if anything he taught were found to be untrue, it should be discarded.
>>
>>70717334
It makes way for one to make a way, to walk a path and from experience impart wisdom. In place of western christfaggery, where whitewashing childs minds with narrow fields of exploration, young Buddhists may follow the Hagakure, Zen, Paganism...
It's about the personal journey, understanding everyone is in a different position toward enlightenment, and one life will not be enough. With goodness, often unobtrusive acts and the end of suffering in mind, one elevates their overall power level.

I tie mine in with cosmological anarchy, a polarized approach - but I am young still, and strong. I have chosen my way, and mine enemy. My road to peace is in the elimination of my adversaries, for the parallels of biology, quantum mechanics, and basic chemistry would dictate my dominance over surrounding variables allows my "garden" to "fruit". So long as my intentions remain true to what I hold sacred, this path will test me thoroughly. I have a great respect for the Earth, animals have curious and positive attraction toward me, I have faith.
>>
File: 1400063774150.jpg (49 KB, 459x463) Image search: [Google]
1400063774150.jpg
49 KB, 459x463
>>70722554
*acknowledges the tip*

m'lady
>>
>>70717334
Stoicism is better
>>
>>70722917
>Gautama Buddha specifically said that if anything he taught were found to be untrue, it should be discarded.

Something which his followers didn't heed.
>>
>>70723864
such as?
>>
>>70724400
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cosmology

such as it's '31 planes of existence'
>>
>>70717897
UNCOMMON
N
C
O
M
M
O
N
>>
>>70724677
This hasn't been proven to be false though.
>>
>>70724400
Not him but even if core Buddhism is real there it still has no significance. Shit like >>70724677
which is very much a part of it, is obviously bullshit.

Buddhism at it's core is it's karma system, nirvana and reincarnation. If you have no recollection at all what so ever of your past lives what is the point of being reborn? In this case death is essentially the same thing as nirvana. Also common teaching is that karma only applies in your 'next life'- again, hearkens back to it.

>Is it the cure of degeneracy?
All religions are more or less. By that metric Christianity is probably better.
>>
It's an alternative to destroying suffering by destroying your humanity in return. Worthless religion.

>>70725042
It hasn't proven to be true either.
>>
>>70725042
That's not how proofs work. In a nutshell- if something has no proof either for or against it, it most likely doesn't exist at all.
>>
Buddhism isn't a single religion. That's just what they call this entire branch of philosophy that surround mediation.
Everything faggots learned from Simpsons about Buddhism is completely wrong.

True Buddhism is when you just reject religion and start meditation. Make up your mind about things. That's Buddhism. It's not even a religion.

Listen to someone like Sadhguru. This guy is pretty much the modern Buddha. These people don't describe themselves as ''Buddhists''. They don't claim to ''follow Buddha''. They have a completely different view of the world.
Asking someone like this ''are you a Buddhist?'' is one of the most ignorant ill-informed questions you could ever ask.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bM1STI8Hkc
>>
>>70725545
Were you in the other thread about religion a few minutes ago?
>>
>>70717334
It's a shitty philosophy that leads to real shithole cultures.
>>
>>70725042
>The world-mountain of Sumeru is an immense, strangely shaped peak which arises in the center of the world, and around which the Sun and Moon revolve. Its base rests in a vast ocean, and it is surrounded by several rings of lesser mountain ranges and oceans
>The beings of this world are 1,500 feet (460 m) tall and live for 36,000,000 years (Sarvāstivāda tradition) or 3/4 of a yojana tall and live for 30,000,000 years
>Avīci – the "uninterrupted" Naraka. Life in this Naraka is 339,738,624*10^10 years long (magnitudes longer than the age of the universe ie before time even existed)
>>
File: ChristianityInAsia.jpg (96 KB, 670x532) Image search: [Google]
ChristianityInAsia.jpg
96 KB, 670x532
>>70717334
The Eightfold Path only really applies to monks in practice. Most buddhists don't care about that and just give fruit and incense to statues. (even though it was nothing the buddha himself reccomended)

Buddhist societies have always also been the most brutal and violent societies on earth with no regard for other humans. Animals usually get more rights than humans, but if you see how animals are treated in buddhist countries then you know it does not mean much.

Only the monks feel that they need to follow the rules, and even then tons of monks are violent and oppressive against any other religion for example christians often was executed by Lingchi (cutting of pieces of meat and ripping it off with tongs until death like pic related)
>>
>>70725842
>The beings of this world are 1,500 feet (460 m) tall and live for 36,000,000 years (Sarvāstivāda tradition) or 3/4 of a yojana tall and live for 30,000,000 years
>implying this isn't true
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw
>>
>>70725799
Nah m8 I avoid threads that potentially attract too many shitposters. Or at least I don't try to argue in them.

>inb4 Australia
>>
File: 27193935_p0_master1200.jpg (380 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
27193935_p0_master1200.jpg
380 KB, 600x596
>>70717334
don't even think about that fake ass chinese bullshit, anon
buddhist logic: life is suffering, so no life=no suffering, lol
>>
>>70726098
>religion threads
>avoiding threats that attract too many shitposters
Hmmm.
>>
>>70726193
What? This thread was relatively tame... until you posted that youtube video.
>>
>>70726474
I'm talking in general, not just this thread.
>>
File: 1435762137997.jpg (40 KB, 480x347) Image search: [Google]
1435762137997.jpg
40 KB, 480x347
>>70717897
fucking this
buddhism is based and repdpilled as fuck
but so many newage hippie retards appropriate it while completly missing its point
>>
>>70726077
>there is no modern theory that accounts for how the pyramids could have been made

already a minute into this 'spirit' science and it's bullshit already.

I aint wasting an hour watching garbage.
>>
With me, Buddism means just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>70726646
You're missing a lot
>the earth was saved by a holy pure women in peru who went into the earth to go into an UFO to fight aliens
>Jews are basically martians and control everything and are to blame for everything
>we used to be 10,000 foot giants and progressively got smaller over time
It's amazing.
>>
>>70726077
dude spirit science is pure fucking cancer I watched all of thier series
its full of fallacies misinterpretations and unfounded claims, Jordan is fucking retard and I sometimes seriously doubt that he believes what he says, and the guy he gets his ideas from is nothing but money garbbing scammer
not mentoining the fact that there is a channel of the same fromat probably from the same people that preaches feminism and globalism
I'm not saying this as some fedora tipping atheist I am actually intersected lot of the things he made videos about
>>
>>70726620
That the result of an ethno-religious conflict, not because the Rohingya are terrorists.

Of friend of mine came to the US as a refugee after his whole family was murdered in the genocide.
>>
>>70727279
>I am actually intersected lot of the things he made videos about
Hahahahaha
>he's pure cancer but I'm interested in the cancer he talks about
>>
File: fabtatbbaf.png (157 KB, 1311x1223) Image search: [Google]
fabtatbbaf.png
157 KB, 1311x1223
>>70717334
>What does /pol/ think of buddhism?
A rather primitive tool of oppression.
>>
>>70727369
yeah, lucid dreaming , meditation ...well I really can't come up with more
>>
>>70717334
It's a nice philosophy, but it's much too complex for average people.
Then it becomes religion-tier shit.

Most buddhists don't understand its meaning.

You're not supposed to avoid eating meat, you're supposed to think about the chain of consequences of your acts.
You shouldn't kill, but if someone threatens people, you have to stop him to save more lives.

The cure for degeneracy is philosophy. With knowledge, you unveil truth, with philosophy you get a good morality (as in good in a global scale, not to appear good to your facebook friends) and make good choices.

Knowledge and philosophy will give you truth and a moral code that will benefit everyone and everything.
>>
>>70717499
>Budhism
>Hedonism
Pick one.
>>
>>70717334
Hinduism , Buddhism & Jainism are literally the chillest religions ever created
>>
File: image405.jpg (58 KB, 579x457) Image search: [Google]
image405.jpg
58 KB, 579x457
>>70727358
what they did was brutal but it's still better than if their culture were to be replaced by Islam
>>
>>70728062
what are Jains like? Have you one before?
>>
>>70728908
met*
>>
Does anybody in this thread actually read sutras?
>>
File: jesus.jpg (108 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
108 KB, 380x380
It literally doesn't matter what religion you are if you don't bother to adhere to the tenants of that religion.

There is nothing inherent in Buddhism that makes it more based than any other religion. Japan is mainly atheist or Shinto/Buddhism and the only reason they aren't cucked is due to language.

Kojima laid it out in MGSV, language is much more important than people are willing to pay attention to. The #1 force for degeneracy is of course the politics which encourage degeneracy. It is disseminated through language which allows it to pervade a culture.

tl;r
>Eastern countries aren't cucked because feminists don't speak Japanese, Chinese, etc. That doesn't mean that degeneracy can't be slowly diffused over time, its just impede. Cultural factors also include that because feminism was bred in Christian countries, its rhetorical is Christian based, i.e., it focuses on being painted as a victim and gaining appeal through moral superiority. Naturally this will have less effect on countries where their values are different.
>>
File: 1460396990155.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460396990155.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>it's a "what does /pol/ think of buddhism" thread again
>>
>>70727996
>Most buddhists don't understand its meaning.
Never listen to a Buddhist on the internet. The internet is corrupt and the worst place to preach the dharma. Everything that comes into the internet is corrupted.
>>
>>70729264
I've read a few mahayana sutras yea. I've also read a few nikayas of the pali canon and an anthology by bikkhu bodhi. Couldn't be fucked reading all of the canon (I heard it was like 20k pages).
>>
I hold eastern religions in high regard, but I am not sure how much I agree with buddhist views. One day I will dig deeper into the subject and I will be able to say more.

Generally speaking though, the east has greater religious traditions than the west, so I am interested in learning more one day.
The west has but one, and it is medieval catholicism. Now that I remember, also orthodoxy, not sure how to rank them, maybe orthodoxy ranks higher for consistency over the centuries but either way they are roughly equivalent.
>>
>>70729532
It's quite a bit overall but it's far more important to have read sutras rather than pretend you know anything about Buddhism in the first place because you listened to a hippy on youtube or something.

Better than reading the Mahabharata at least.
>>
File: 1374911456148.png (272 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1374911456148.png
272 KB, 894x894
>>70717334
>Noble Eightfold Path
The Ruinous Eightfold Path is relatively better.
>>
>>70728908
Yup , one of roommate is a Jain , it is more more or less the same as Hinduism without god in the equation .

Janis in general are socially closed yet friendly .
>>
>>70717334
We live in a virtual reality,go to youtube and look up "Tom Cambell looks like budda nailed it.
>>
The whole Buddhist rhetoric about how you must "give up desire" to gain enlightenment strikes me as a tool of the elite to kill ambition in the masses. If that truly is pervasive in Buddhist texts, I'd say Buddhism creates degeneracy rather than destroying it.
>>
>>70717334
>anatta
>nirishvaravada
>anicca
Pft, no.
>>
>>70717897
NOT
O
T

SEEN
E
E
N

OFTEN
F
T
E
N
>>
>>70730184
its to let go of fear,to become love?
>>
>>70717334
Buddhism is too collectivist for the european spirit. The individual has no dignity, it's just a shadow that vanishes.
>>
>>70729639
some sutras sound hippy-ish though. Like the short, heart sutra. It took me a while to understand it, and I still don't think I fully know what it's trying to say. Theravada texts are more clear and logical than Mahayana which relies on intuition.
>>
>>70730750
I found the Tathagathagarbha sutras the best. They tend to cause a lot of butthurt when shown though.
>>
>>70730750
Mahayana is literally more advanced, Heart Sutra is like a devotional thing and it's really popular because of it, the Diamond Sutra is a lot more interesting because it's not just 4 lines repeated over and over, but is still pretty short.

In the canon Theravada sutras are meant more so for laypeople and the only aspiration is to achieve the state of an arahat, which is only like level 6 or so on the 10 levels of being, with a full Buddhahood like Siddartha being at the very top, Boddhisattvas at the 9th, etc.

Stuff like the Lotus Sutra goes into that a bit more, where it's explicitly stated that the Sutra itself is meant only to convert the Bodhisattvas to realize they can attain Buddhahood like Shakyamuni, then he confers prophecies on his disciples to attain Buddhahood in future life times.

Mahayana is for more advanced people, it's the Great Vehicle that does things the hinayana Theravada doesn't. Theravada is for lay people to teach them to become arahats, but arahatship isn't the final goal, nor is Nirvana, and there's a parable in the Lotus about the Phantom City where Nirvana and arahatship is a resting point halfway down the very long journey to full Buddhahood. Compassion becomes the emphasis in Mahayana and skillfully delivering living beings from suffering.

So it's very uneducated for people to say anything about Theravada or Mahayana being better than the other overall since they're both the same rain, the only difference is how much the plants need to absorb to grow, grass needs less and big trees need more water.

Ultimately: the more you know.
>>
>>70731261
A spirtual cast system,YOU CUNT.
>>
>>70731456
It's a meritocracy, you SWINE
>>
>>70717334
Tom Cambell "youtube"?
>>
>>70722554
Way to contribute to the conversation.
You sure showed him
>>
File: 1459981595397.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2129) Image search: [Google]
1459981595397.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2129
Humanity is merely a transitionary state between lives, a means to temper the spirit to create a path to transcend one's desires

Desire is the root of all actions, therefore to recognize your own desires and to willingly xhoose to fargo them makes it possible to cause changes to the spirit
>>
>>70726059
Source?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.