[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /pol/ so opposed to H1-B Visas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: path2usah1b.jpg (132 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
path2usah1b.jpg
132 KB, 500x350
Where I live they are mostly used to hire Asians and Eastern Europeans for programming/software engineering jobs that white people are either unable or unwilling to do.
>>
>>70708311
Basically a bunch of privileged kids complaining about not getting a 70k job right out of college.

H-1B is pretty much the visa status that turns America into the biggest brain drainer in the world. Can't get a professional job despite your high level of expertise? Come to America, you can help to make America great.
>>
>>70708523
>ARYANS BTFO
>>
File: 1456519714942.jpg (663 KB, 969x582) Image search: [Google]
1456519714942.jpg
663 KB, 969x582
ex-H1B holder here. The US visa systems sucks at such an astronomical extent that we need to invent new words to describe it. I got enough of being treated like a mexican illegal any time i am crossing the border and that overpaid obese uscis employees fucking with me all the time. enjoy your aids america!
>>
>>70708311
>Basically a bunch of privileged kids complaining about not getting a 70k job right out of college.

Aren't most of those kids liberals though? I feel like conservatives would welcome the competition.
>>
it's not used to bring in white people

nobody wants indians shitting in the streets

it's also slave labor, and drives down wages
>>
>>70708523
>>70708311

Fuck off. America is for Americans, not poo in loos.

There are plenty of Americans to hire that are willing and able to work, companies just want to drive down everyone's wages.
>>
>>70708719

>it's also slave labor, and drives down wages

This is dumb as fuck argument since there aren't enough qualified people to fill those jobs in the first place. It's like arguing for firms to operate at less than optimal capacity.
>>
>>70708523
It's also a great way for giant tech companies to devalue American labor by importing foreign workers willing to work for less money in the us because it's more than they the pittance they would have gotten in their shithole, this then allows the company to tell workers that they won't pay them as much because they can just go hire random people from Russia and india, do people honestly believe there aren't enough capable Americans available for tech jobs? Unemployment among recent college grads is huge and graduation from science/tech has never been higher...
>>
>>70708523
First post, best post
>>
>>70708719
>muh slavery

Capitalism at work. Don't like it? Leave
>>
>tfw can't get a software engineering job
>>
>>70708311
If they were all Europeans getting the jobs I would not be complaining.
>>
>>70708719
^^Everything this poster said. Same reason why restaurants and landscapers hire Pedro. Why should they pay some american 8 an hour or 15 an hour when they can get it done for 5 an hour. It is the exact same thing for H1-Bs. Why pay some american 50k when you can pay Pajeet 30k.
>>
>>70708802
The job adverts are often bullshit so that no-one except an underpaid indian is qualified for them
>>
>>70708719
this
>>
>>70708816
>do people honestly believe there aren't enough capable Americans available for tech jobs?

Yes. We have a hard time finding enough qualified people who pass our interviews. The job market for software engineers is crazy.

We tend to hire a lot of people from east asia and eatern europe. Most people I interview from India are shit though. I will almost discredit a resume if they say they went to undergad in India.

Also

>complaining about wages

Believe me, I work in software and software enginners get paid just fine.
>>
>>70708802
>This is dumb as fuck argument since there aren't enough qualified people to fill those jobs in the first place
>hurr
There's plenty of STEM grads that could fill those holes.
The companies are full of shit, they don't need to import people to fill the jobs, they need to import people to cut wages.
If it was required that you pay Indians an American pay for the job there wouldn't be any Indians here.
>>
>>70708802
Patently false, there are tons of Americans capable of doing those jobs, companies like Intel are bringing over like 24 yr old Russians to work for them, they offer nothing to them that they couldn't find in an American graduate except they will work for less and allow them to lowball American workers with the threat of being replaced by foreign labor

Do you see why people have a problem with this, nobody benefits except for corporate executives, even the foreign workers get fucked because they aren't making as much as they could be if the system wasn't in place and they still managed to immigrate successfully
>>
>>70708802
it's slave labor

the people the bring in can't change jobs, because the company holds the visa

they can ask for a raise, but the company doesn't have to give it to them

and studies have shown it drives down wages
>>
>>70708311
These visas are only supposed to be granted when there is no one in america able to do the job. But they are always used as a way to get cheap labor
>>
>>70708857
What do you do for work? I am sure we can find some African or Asian who could do it for half of what you make.
>>
>>70708311
>Unable or unwilling
I'm tired of this argument. There is ALWAYS someone willing to do a job, and is able to get the education required for such a job. Whether they are willing to do it at near-minimum wage, however, is another matter entirely.
>>
>>70708802

>This is dumb as fuck argument since there aren't enough qualified people to fill those jobs in the first place.

What a retard.
>>
File: 1459807101268.jpg (378 KB, 829x1475) Image search: [Google]
1459807101268.jpg
378 KB, 829x1475
>>70708857
capitalism is just another side of the jew coin
>>
>pass our interviews
>almost discredit a resume
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>70708802
>aren't enough qualified people to fill those jobs in the first place.

Memetier argument.

Companies do all sorts of shady shit to skirt the law like posting the job opening on the fucking bulletin board of the lunch room and nowhere else or paying companies to never run them at all.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/4/1/1198459/-H-1B-Guest-Worker-Fraud-and-the-Lacking-Skills-Scam
http://www.cringely.com/2013/07/18/so-thats-how-h-1b-visa-fraud-is-done/
Or you have fine """""family values""""" companies like Disney firing everyone in their robotics division and making them train their H1B streetshitters before kicking them out the door.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us/lawsuit-claims-disney-colluded-to-replace-us-workers-with-immigrants.html?_r=0

The real question is who are you shilling for?
>>
>>70709048
The wages don't exist In a bubble guy, what one person with more education gets paid can be used by management to justify lower wages all the way down the chain, again the only people that benefit are the people at the very top of the ladder it's like a giant pyramid scheme but autistic engineers are ok with it because they make 70-80k starting
>>
>>70709151
There really aren't! Most people who claim to able to build software SUCK AT IT. Our company literally rejects like 100 applicants for every hire. I'm so sick of interviewing shitty people.
>>
>>70709048
>We have a hard time finding enough qualified people who pass our interviews.
bullshit

you make the standards impossible, so you can go beg the government for more h1-b's
>>
>>70708311
>Why is /pol/ so opposed to H1-B Visas?
Work until you're dead tired or be replaced. Does that sound fair?
>>
>>70709349
No. The reason we have high standards because hiring an average person actually slows us down. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
>>
>>70709250
What qualities do you look for in an applicant?
>>
>>70709250

Nobody is an expert coming out of college. You rejected 100 applicants without even giving them a shot?
>>
>>70708311
Stem grad here

Shit forces wages down and makes finding a lab job impossible. Fucking Indians wanted me to work 60 hours a week and were upset when I said that was fucking retarded, especially when I was only making $14 an hour with no benefits.

I got the last laugh on the fucking cucks though. I quit without teaching anyone how to use the instrument or really how to do the procedure that I had developed and never responded to their calls so now they have a $150,000 piece of junk in their lab that no one can work.

also got a job teaching Physical Science where I started at $70,000 and get free grad school so shits pretty sweet.
>>
>>70709477
They are able to communicate effectively and are able to solve the problem(s) I present in the interview. Sometimes we do a pair-programming exercise where I will pair up with an applicant to program a solution to some problem.

The problems test basic competence with computer science concepts as well as certain degree of ingenuity. Most people are awful at them.
>>
>>70708708
>welcome competition
>for your own job
Fuck no, I want no one else to be able to do my job so that way I have more power in negotiations. Fuck competition if it is with me
>>
>>70709424
When Caesar comes your head will be on the block.
>>
>beaners steal working class jobs
>streetshitters steal all the IT jobs
>both will work for much less and fewer benefits because if they complain they'll get deported

What is there to like?
>>
>>70709580
You're entirely full of shit.

See:
>>70709230

Special place in hell for you shilldog.
>>
>>70709580
Care to give an example?
>>
>>70708696
Well glad to see something works. Or maybe you're white, and used to better treatment? In which case my regrets, boet.

The nearest woman in the left picture has a curiously sheer blouse .. adds propaganda value no doubt.
>>
>>70709657

I'll bring the refreshments.
>>
>>70708523
t. Mark Zuckerkike
>>
>>70709650
I'm up for competition, as long as it's from /their own country/, I don't want to have to look at, deal with, or compete for housing with the fuckers.
>>
>>70709695
I sometimes like to ask a candidate to design a system that keep like counts for a site like youtube or facebook. This is surprisingly subtle problem because there are major concerns around performance and concurrency. There are also issues around software design in terms of thinking critically about what should the requirements of a system be (for example a like counter probably doesn't need to be that accurate, so you can trade of accuracy for performance).

A good candidate will generally be able to go through several iterations of their design as I bring these issues up. An excellent candidate will recognize the issues before I prompt them about it.
>>
>>70709250
Take-home, post-phone screen interviews desu.
>>
>>70709930
Competition is only good when it isn't competition with you. If having fewer people who can do my job makes me more money you can fucking bet your ass I am going to come up with the most convoluted way to write a program or procedure just so that no one else can understand it and replace me
>>
>>70709250
ooh, what kind of awesome software are you writing where you have to keep out the mongolian hordes
>>
>>70710255
We make analytics software. It's not even anything special.
>>
>>70709230
Did you seriously just link to dailykos?
>>
I'm tempted to call bullshit on the software guy just based on the fact that one of my friends works as a programming consultant and the majority of the people he went to training with has 0 background in programming and didn't do comp sci in college. So it can't be that hard.
>>
>>70710971
>>70710971
>attacking the source without rebutting the content

Do you seriously think that qualifies as an argument?
>>
>>70711103
Programming isn't difficult at all you can easily teach yourself it if you have the interest and the patience.
>>
>>70711103
There is also boot camps popping up to teach you to program and get a job.
>>
>>70711103
I don't care about the CS degree. What I care about is people's ability to solve problems. We hire math and physics graduates all the time.

What kind of consulting does your brother do? We tend not to hire consultants because the good ones charge $150-300/hr, and we the systems they build will have to be maintained by someone, so we'd rather just hire a person permanently on the team. Very occasionally we have brought on a consultant for some new technology we want to use to get us up to speed and kickstart a project, but I have always been disappointed.
>>
File: 1450457885139.png (1 MB, 1278x1440) Image search: [Google]
1450457885139.png
1 MB, 1278x1440
>>70708311
Why hire americans when you can hire chinks or indians for half the cost?
Because they will send that money out of the country back to shitholeastan instead of having it do more work inside the US.
>>
>>70711797
Friend not brother, and don't really know. I don't do comp sci and he said 90% of his job was to either reformat code to make it look nice or to write/reformat the document that goes with the code to make it look nice
>>
>>70708802
This is bullshit. I have an engineering PhD and I know for a fact I've lost out jobs I interviewed on-site for to foreigners.
If I was unqualified, they wouldn't have flown me out for the interview.
Fuck this country.
>>
>>70712168
You just weren't qualified enough for the price
>>
>>70712168
For reference, we make offers to about 1 out of 4 or 5 people we bring on site.

Having a PhD doesn't really matter that much to us. I've personally rejected some PhD's because they weren't able to solve practical problems even though I only have bachelor's.

We really only judge people on how they do during the interviews. Although, I find that women probably have a slight advantage because either consciously or subconsciously we tend to go easier on them. It's probably because we're under pressure to hire more women.

Although, most PhD's, I will say, are generally better because they have the experience of solving an open ended problem before when they did their thesis.
>>
>>70712390
What price, salary is negotiable. Companies would rather hire Iranians and Indians.
>>
>>70712455
How much cocaine do you do while inflating your fragile ego even more by turning down qualified PhDs? Does it offend you to know they're your superiors?
>>
>>70712455
Honestly I graduated within a year or so of three other people in my group: one Indian, one Iranian and one white woman. They all have full-time jobs now and I can't get one. My advisor says "gee whiz, I don't know what to tell you, you're technically one of the better students, maybe it's your attitude".
I know for a fact the Indian guy got hired at Intel because he knew someone there, the Iranian guy is legitimately talented, and the girl had no publications at all and managed to get a job at a company that rejected me out of hand.

Three on-sites, 0 offers. They were all different, only one of them was very technical, but I can't say I botched any of them.

Visas or not, the bottom line is life isn't fair, and this is just another example.
>>
>>70712928
I have no problems admitting that most PhD's have accomplished something I will not do. In fact, one of the reasons I went into industry was because I wouldn't have gotten into a PhD program in my field at a top 5 school. I decided not to end up at an average school in the Midwest or South.

I will say that most PhD's in CS are not better at building software than I am. It's a different discipline.
>>
How does /pol/ feel about O1 visas? I just entered the country today on one.
>>
>>70713616
I think these are more bullshit than H1-B desu. Most people I know who got one did it through some sketchy process where they got a couple of "famous" people to write them a recommendation.

I mean I am all for Nobel Prize winners and leaders in their fields to enter the US, but O1 seems like nepotism out the ass to me.
>>
>>70713794
Then again, how else do you grade the work of someone in the field with no Noble prize, eg. CS?
>>
>>70713918
By reviewing their actual work. For example, in software what projects have you done in the past, how amazing were they. In business, what companies have you built. In academia, what papers have you published.

I mean I guess I see how it would be difficult for a single Visa officer to know about all these fields. But how many O1 applications are there even? Would it be plausible to have a visa committee for each field?
>>
File: 1450168784766.jpg (90 KB, 422x768) Image search: [Google]
1450168784766.jpg
90 KB, 422x768
>>70708311

>work at multinational corp
>jobs are required to place a posting saying there is an h1b applicant
>read posting
>50k a year for a position requiring an phd in the hard sciences
>mfw i make 50k starting with a bachelors
>mfw a few weeks later the posting is gone and we have a new guy in the office
>mfw indian with broken ass english
>>
>>70714038
I get what you're saying but if the scientist is an expert in a given field, the only people who can rate his work are the other scientists in the same field. Even in something as small as Computer Graphics (my PhD focus) there are tons of different subfields such as perception, rendering, visualization etc. No single scientist can follow all the subfields simultaneously.
>>
>>70708311
I don't know, why would someone be against competing with slave labor? Because this shit will bring down wages, big time, these fucks on H1B, cannot negotiate their wages, and if they finally give up, and leave, there is an unlimited supply of volunteers to replace them, and even the ones that quit, will still roam around the USA as illegal immigrants, driving the wages down even further, while raising the rent prices, and overcrowding the cities, and public services, increasing crime.
>>
>>70713616
The fuck do you do that you have an O-1 and shit post on 4chan at 4 in the fucking morning?
>>
>>70714834
It's only 1:30 in California friend. Which is where you should be looking for a job with your PhD.
>>
>>70714042
Kek,
>mfw they hired a fucking PhD from india to replace me at my old job when I quit
>>
>>70714891
Don't have a PhD. I teach physical science on the east coast.

Spring break is this week
>>
>>70708311

Where I live the equivalent is used to hire Asians or Indians because they're cheaper.
>>
>>70708802

>There aren't enough qualified people to fill those jobs

Yes there are. Just not as cheaply as corporations would like.

>Less than optimal capacity

It is arguing that.

We have lots of restrictions to stop corporations from putting profit ahead of the national interest.
>>
>>70708311
because it lets chinks and indians into the country
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.