[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here know about the University of North Texas (Denton)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: texas-map.gif (52 KB, 415x425) Image search: [Google]
texas-map.gif
52 KB, 415x425
Does anyone here know about the University of North Texas (Denton) and UT Dallas?

To those who are knowledgeable, I am curious about their financial aid reputations - I'm both a National Merit Finalist and a National Hispanic Scholar, if it helps, and I was born in Texas but moved away over 5 years ago and so do not qualify for in-state tuition.

I would greatly appreciate general college pointers for a STEM-geared HS senior, esp. as relate to the great state of Texas :)

I have so far been admitted to TCU, Emory (in Atlanta), and UVA in Virginia. I don't know how important reputation is for undergrad so I look to older students for answers.

(Relevance to politics: curious to know how left-leaning any campuses are)
>>
>>70698079

Financial aid does not significantly change between universities anywhere in the US, since most of it is federal.
>>
Don't come to Texas, we're full.

Don't believe the memes, it's not a redneck red state wonderland down here.
>>
>>70698172
That may be true, but I have heard of differing packages between schools.

>>70698212
I am acutely aware of the reality of the state, seeing as how I have spent a lot of my life there. And I wouldn't just be coming, I'd be coming BACK.

Edit to OP: I would appreciate knowing which schools you all have experienced as having the best research opportunities, as relate to stipends, internships, etc.
>>
>>70698079
bump

self, whatever
>>
>>70698212
TX is fine as long as you steer clear of Austin and Houston and CC
>>
Texas college student here. Financial aid will be about the same between the schools. It might differ a bit based on scholarships, etc but I can't help you there. I wouldn't recommend either UT Dallas or UNT, but if you had to pick one, UNT is higher regarded here. UNT is especially good for music, but less so for STEM. In Texas, Rice is far and away the best STEM school.

Actually, many people don't know about Trinity in San Antonio, but it is probably the number 2 in Texas behind Rice. Great research opportunities and profs at the top of their field. After that, TCU/UT Austin/SMU/Texas AM/Southwestern. Then other schools.
TCU has a better rep than UNT or UT Dallas, and is a bit of a rich kid / party school

Hoenstly, if you got into Emory and UVA, Id stay away from UNT or UT Dallas. Bad reputation and poor research opps for STEM
>>
>>70698079
Go to UVa, it has the best alumni network of the bunch.

UT Dallas and UNT are both scrub schools and most people use them as safety schools. In particular, UNT has a fantastic music program (one of the best in the nation) but is horseshit for STEM. It also has a huge inferiority complex and tries way too hard to be like Austin Jr.

t. Aggie.
>>
>>70698079
>national hispanic scholar
>mexican intellectual

Since you're not white you'll probably get a full ride. I applied for financial aid at my local community college and all I got was a single retarded offer that said if I paid the lender 4x the cost of a semester's tuition, they'd cover up to half of my tuition for a full year.
>>
File: 1458246058126.gif (1 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1458246058126.gif
1 MB, 300x300
>>70699871
Hey Aggie bro
>>
>>70698482
Pretty much all major schools have a good budget for internships, but you won't get one at your own school. I go to school in Alabama at a regional school and have to apply to out of state schools to get a shot at research internships that are paid. So going to a place like Emory or UVA won't matter funding wise until you're a grad student. Then it matters whose lab you're in because they will get bank from grants to buy all kinds of supplies. Most internships have travel funding available so don't worry about paying too much to get there and stay.

Also, pro tip, after you take your first major-related class, try to ask around and get involved with a professors research. They will help immensely with getting you into grad school.
>>
>>70699965
Howdy. Going to Muster in a few weeks?
>>
I go to UT Dallas. What a coincidence eh? Go there. Too many liberals on campus.
>>
if you are a national merit spic, then you will probably get an AES scholarship (full ride) at UTD (UTD student here, whoosh)

When did you get accepted? You should hear back from a month if you get the scholarship (it automatically applies you for it).

I would never go to UNT. Look at their entry scores and GPA.

I would recommend EE or CE at UTD. I'm an ME. Engineering is huge here. But lots of normie nerds.

Buuuuut. If you have the money I would go to smu straight up. Hot girls everywhere. Or TCU I guess.

You really should've figured this out the summer before senior year OP
>>
>>70700648
Aye major and year?
>>
>>70700220
Thanks, dude. You most probably don't attend U Alabama but I've heard a lot about how it's a rising STEM institution, and I hope your school will get you places. Best wishes with your research!
>>
>>70700489
Possibly. I'm a STEMfag so I might have too much shit to do. Probably though. Unfortunately I'm two percented as fuck.

What's your major?
>>
>>70699871
>>70699965
>>70700489
Honestly never surprised when I see Aggies on here. Were y'all in the corps f.ams?

-Zip13
>>
>>70700693
I got accepted to TCU a little over a month ago. I know, I know...thus is procrastination, but I recently realized going back to Texas would be awesome and TCU throws out money like candy for whatever reason.

What's your major?
>>
>>70698079

>TCU is cucked, all kinds of Muslim fee fees going on there. Liberal with nothing Christian about it.
>UNT Denton is a SJW haven, and the city is a bunch of liberal cucks.
>UTA is pretty much muzzie territory now.

Texas A&M is pretty conservative and so it Abilene Christian.

I went to a school with no real reputation and I am knocking down 6 figures. It all about what you do after the degree.
The degree opens the door, you gotta go the extra mile after that.
>>
>>70698079
>>70698079
>STEM-geared HS senior,
Go to UTD. They're blowing up in terms of research opportunity and just got Tier One designation.

UNT is great if you wanna move to a fucking mini-Austin with degenerate potheads and hippies.
>>
>>70700942
I'm a second year genetics PhD student and do my prelims in November. I went last year and it was incredibly somber and quite humbling.
>>
>>70701051
UTD throws money at you. Idk about TCU

Holy shit learn reading comprehension dumbass.
>>
With a choice between UTD and UNT, Id take UTD any day.

UNT is full of faggot liberal arts students and the school is not known at all for STEM

UTD is full of smelly foreign students and has a little more STEM
>>
I'm probably going to UH, am I making a mistake?

Some info about me:
-filipino
-top 11%
-in 3 honor societies (national, english, spanish)
-went to state for D.E.C.A
-poor, but went to a competitive high school
-3.2 gpa on a 4 point scale

I'm having second thoughts about UH, because all my friends are going to UTD. I also got into UTSA, and got full rides to UTSA and UH, thing is I haven't even applied to UTD and I'm really thinking about going.

What should I do?
>>
>>70701143
This
>>
national merit finalist and stem major too here

Don't go to UNT, their STEM is shit and nmsqt packet is pretty similar to that of UTD. UTD's STEM is marginally better and the cream of the crop there are much better than their equivalents at UNT. Both schools have a fair share of minorities, if you're into that.

Don't let the name fool you, UTD is like 30 minutes away from downtown Dallas. It's still closer to Dallas than UNT, which is in shitty Denton.

However, seeing that you're Hispanic and bothered to apply to Emory and UVa, why are you even asking about UTD/UNT?? Just use "muh Hispanic" to get yourself a cool sum of money to go to either one of those schools.
>>
Good to see more Ags on here

>>70701162
That's awesome. Congratulations anon hope that goes well for you.
>>70701047
Nah I'm not in the corps. Have some buddies in there though. I think they're Air Force

I'm still doing my undergrad. CS major. I like it here, but will probably do grad school somewhere else. Their CS department is rough
>>
>>70701728
Thanks brah. My adviser says prelims aren't that bad but I'm still fairly nervous about them.

It looks better to go to different schools for your bachelors and grad degrees (with few exceptions; nobody's going to knock someone whose BS and PhD are both from Harvard, Stanford, etc). Definitely leverage the Aggie network when you apply, though.
>>
File: aidssrillex.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
aidssrillex.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>70698079
fuck niggers bitches

https://soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/emperor-trump
>>
>>70701431
Also I forgot to mention I want to go to UTD since naveen jindal is better than bauer. If I go to UH, I'll just be another one of those viets or filipinos
>>
File: 1447089657905.jpg (12 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
1447089657905.jpg
12 KB, 467x460
>>70702008
Thanks for the advice.
It feels good to know I'm not the only one on /pol/ here. Everyone is really squeaky clean here. I just conceal my power level.

Gig' em anon
>>
>>70698079
At UTD you will basically get a full ride as a national merit finalist.
Source: former student
>>
>>70702415
Jindal was recently discovered to be in a 50 million dollar scandal. I think with coal.

Also

>business majors

UTDs engineering school is Erik Jonsson or something. Sounds Nordic as fuck
>>
>>70702497
No problem. Just remember that where you go for grad school is more important than where you go for undergrad. A&M has a very good CS program, so it would be better to stay here than go to somewhere like Kansas State, Ole Miss, etc. But if you got into somewhere like Michigan, Georgia Tech, Stanford, or even tu you'd be wise to go there instead.

Head over to west campus sometime; Heep, Kleberg, and Wehner are all choke full of Trumpers. Or go to Carny's, Duddly's Draw, or the Chicken during happy hour with the townies; same story.
>>
>>70702888
> Full of Trumpers

What happened to Cruz country?

>>70701253
My reading comprehension is good enough to make me NMF, thanks very much lol
>>
>>70701431
>top 11%
>3.2 GPA
I always knew the top 10% shit was stupid, mouth breathers could get automatic admit if they went to the right school in my time (2009). I just missed honors with a 3.528 and I was barely in the top 20% of my class. Over half the school was Hispanics and blacks. And 2/3 of my senior class were in danger of not graduating for random reasons. Those of us that tried were comparable to the rich doctors' and astronauts' kids on the other side of the freeway near Johnson Space Center (If you didn't have a 4.0 GPA at their school then you dropped down to like 15%). The top quarter of us went on to go to UTA, Rice, Baylor, TAMU, UH, ACU, TCU, T State, UTSA, Tech, LSU and Stanford.

I got into A&M easily but with 1 scholarship because I was white and family made too much. I'm glad the Corps of Cadets cared enough
>>
If you're looking for engineering and you like banging spic chicks, go to UTEP. That's what I did.
>>
Opinions on Trinity University? For STEM and overall reputation
>>
>>70702888
Yeah. I'm trying to do research right now, but with an 18 hour schedule, that doesn't really work out. I'm going to start researching grad schools for my specialty area.

I guess I never go to West Campus. Always over in the Bright or Blocker building.

There's a couple CS guys that support Trump, most of the people that talk politics support Bernie for some reason. I can't say I'm surprised business Ags ride the trump train.

I will say I'd feel totally comfortable rocking MAGA hat here. I think most wouldn't bat an eye
>>
>>70702786
I didn't know that, but yeah I was planning on majoring in Finance, it's what I've been working to with joining D.E.C.A and stuff. Is it not worth it? Should I just accept my race and go to UH?

>>70703016
Well, I think it's around there, I'm not gonna lie, my gpa and class rank probably dropped. I'm in all AP classes throughout school and been making A's and B's in them, but last semester of last year and this year I've been fucking up, mostly due to drugs and shit at home. I'm stretching it when I'm saying I'm top 11%, I'm more like top 16%, just that last time I actually cared enough to check, I was 11%
>>
>>70702888
Trips of Trumps
Damn I miss west campus. I feel like I'm missing some great times on campus because of the election now that I'm an old ag. The only memorable thing (politically wise) I did when Obama got elected was play https://youtube.com/watch?v=hqIsc8ooXug as loud as fucking possible that night. The quad was fucking crazy when Bin Laden was confirmed dead though, I think we even got a bag-in the next day.

I miss getting smoked with my buddies. I really did enjoy starting a meme of the Mexican commandant when I was a junior though. When he found out, his staff thought it was fucking hilarious. Him not so much.
>>
>>70703311

check out
>>70699803
>>
>>70703479
Dude don't fuck up your life with that shit. You're better than that. AP classes are excellent. Get as many as 5's on those tests as you can to save as much money as possible in college. Be better than the trash that surrounds you. It's the reason why I left home for A&M. I felt like if I didn't do well and escape home (which wasn't bad though), then I would be stuck at the community college with the rest of the underperformers.

Hell in having trouble now as a biotech grad student. But I need to do well since it would be a waste of my hard earned money to drop or fail.
>>
>>70703579
actually a very interesting story
>>
>>70703942
>biotech

Besides the motivation for my HS self that you give (thank you for that), do tell me what the job market is like in biotechnologies. You going for medicine someday or...?
>>
>>70701431
>picking school based on friends
do I need to say more?
>>
Heading off there this fall (denton), can I pull off a MAGA hat or will the libcucks go ape on me? Whats it like in general on the campus?
I'm out of state too op, but they gave me some scholarship so I pay in state.
>>
>>70702786
>business guy
>found to be unethical
say it ain't so
>>
>>70698172
>Financial aid does not significantly change between universities anywhere in the US, since most of it is federal.

That is absolutely not true. If your family makes less than 60k, you go to Princeton free of charge. It's the same with several other universities.
>>
I'm at UNT right now (tams), transferring to A&M next semester. The campus is nice but everyone is literally retarded. UNT students are hands down the dumbest group I have ever interacted with.

Aggies, see you next year.
>>
>>70698079
>I'm both a National Merit Finalist and a National Hispanic Scholar

So...a spic then.
>>
>>70703942
Thanks for the motivation, ever since i started fucking around with drugs shit hasnt beenthe same, and you're right I want to leave town, I don't want to be just another one of these south east asians. The only reason why everything was set to go to UH is because I basically got a full ride due to academics and financial aid due to how poor my family is. Hopefully I can still get into UTD

>>70704753
My only friend that have a decent future ahead are going there, but also Jindal is ranked high than Bauer for what I want to study, and it's too late to get into UTA and A&M, so it's either UH/UTSA or UTD.
>>
>>70704896
Welcome newAgg!

I hope you won't be let down by A&M, but there's dumb people everywhere. Even here.
We're just more conservative. It's a great place though, even if you don't buy in to the whole Southern school stuff.
>>
>>70704152
Vet medicine. Gonna do research in the med center for a bit to build up money and experience before applying at the A&M vet school. Afterwards I don't know. Maybe split a practice with a friend or do research/teaching in the school.

From what I've been looking at masters degrees can be exchanged for years of experience for entry level jobs in the med center. However getting your foot in the door for said experience needed is weird. It's best to do while you are a student under a prof. I never had the time to do that as a cadet up at A&M and neither did any other cadet have time for an off-the-quad job. So now I'm having to play catchup.

As for any STEM degree these days, the job market sucks horribly if you don't get a masters or PhD. Remember the masters can be substituted if you have 2 years of experience. So if you aren't committed to going a few more years then save your time with something else or bust your butt for professional school.
>>
UTA
>>
>>70703000
I mentioned my major in my post and which school I was talking about.

NM really isn't a big deal desu. Getting perfect SATs and top 5 people of your HS is. But since you're a spic I guess this is impressive.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.