[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nuclear waste solution? There is none.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 16
File: 1460076367197.gif (156 KB, 288x229) Image search: [Google]
1460076367197.gif
156 KB, 288x229
>/pol/ thinks nuclear waste has any permanent solutions
Unless your government has the money to burn all that nuclear waste into the atmosphere, that waste is going to leak into the water and contribute to autism epidemic.
>>
>>70685214
Stop making these threads. We tell you why your statement is wrong every time and you refuse any information unless it supports your niche ideology.

Wait, flag. Nevermind. Ya cunt.
>>
The simple solution is to bury it in the middle of the wasteland you call the outback. And that's to say nothing of the fact that the scenario you present is pure fiction.
>>
>hurr shoot it into space
It'll explode and spread radiation far and wide.
>bury it in the middle of the wasteland
Everything is connected my friend, it'll reach humans eventually.
>>
>>70685214

We already have a solution. It's called Yucca mountain. We can begin implementing it right away. All you have to do is get out of the way.
>>
>>70685214
Put it all in Australia or Africa problem solved.
>>
>>70685214
>that waste is going to leak into the water and contribute to autism epidemic.

They store it in the plants, in the floor. They walk around on top of it afterwards without radiation suits even.

Its been dealt with.
>>
>thinks there are nuclear waste solutions
>Nuclear reactors all over the world are being shut down and barely any new ones are being made
ALL UNDER CONTROL, GO BACK TO EATING GRASS SHEEP
>>
>>70685214
toss all that shit in a volcano
>>
>>70685214

Dilute it, put it in synroc, drop it in an oceanic trench, forget about it.
>>
Yucca was as good a place as any for a long-term repository. Unfortunately it was killed by fear, misinformation, and NIMBYism.
>>
>>70685914
>far and wide
there is already infinitely more radiation far and wide in space, we're only alive because of the ozone layer and magnetic field
>>
Here they are digging a huge tunnel network in a solid granite ground and planning to but the stuff in capsules and just sealing them there. No earthquakes here so I guess it is a good plan.
>>
>>70685214
Breeder reactors.

They process and consume all of the nuclear fuel rather than the 0.03% that a light water reactor and 0.05% that a heavy water reactor does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_Breeder_Reactor_II
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28reactor%29

The nuclear waste solution is to keep using the nuclear waste until it's been completely converted into energy.
>>
Why has this totally irrelevant topic being spammed so hard lately?

Also sage
Not politics
>>
>>70687105
Only sensible answer from /pol/, but still not 100%.

Solar is the future.
>>
File: 1460075172981.png (186 KB, 650x708) Image search: [Google]
1460075172981.png
186 KB, 650x708
>>70687271
Have a )you( and a pepe for that one, my friend.
>>
>>70687250
>nuclear energy & nuclear waste
>not political
Just because this thread lacks "LE FUNY MEMES!" doesn't make it unsuitable for this board.
>>
>>70687271
>Only sensible answer from /pol/, but still not 100%.
Yeah just 99.97%

We should stop using cheap nuclear power for expensive and unreliable solar.
>>
File: male_female_bell_curve.png (12 KB, 429x241) Image search: [Google]
male_female_bell_curve.png
12 KB, 429x241
>>70685214
The reason plants capable of using it as fuel aren't being built is because without nuclear waste you faggots lose all actual argument against muh ebil nukular.

Russia are building said plants, so the permanent solution is SELLING it to them.
Making a PROFIT on those "PERMENENT SCARS ON MOTHER GAIA".

Woman and numale genocide when ?
>>
File: corewastedumps.gif (8 KB, 180x140) Image search: [Google]
corewastedumps.gif
8 KB, 180x140
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_borehole_disposal
>>
>>70687514
Gee I wonder what the most expensive laboratory ever made by humans is powered by... Oh that's right, solar. The ISS was designed by some of the greatest minds on the planet, and it uses solar.
>>
>>70687597

>using the bell curve

opinion discarded
>>
>>70685214
Nuclear "waste" can be used as fissionable material to generate more electricity. It's a complete misnomer.
>>
>>70687656
>Gee I wonder what the most expensive laboratory ever made by humans is powered by... Oh that's right, solar. The ISS was designed by some of the greatest minds on the planet, and it uses solar.

Which means what exactly to the statement 'Nuclear waste solution? There is none.' in the context of fast breeder reactors that consume 99.97%+ the nuclear waste?
>>
>>70687802
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fact
>>
>>70687802
Ha Ha you faggot
>>
>>70688184
It's also in outer-fucking-space you moron
>>
>>70690585
Clarify your point, you are all over the place and makes no sense.
I know you are very hurt right now since i seem to have trigerred your inferiority complex, but please keep the irrationality to a minimum.
>>
Why put up with a nuclear responsibility? Wasting away the tax payers money to come up with """""THEORIES""""" that don't actually work. Nuclear waste is now our childrens burden, because we FUCKED UP. Take it on the chin, and move on.

Solar has no waste. It's reliable and it's cute to see on roofs.
>>
>>70685214

There are mines in Quebec that go miles deeper than any aquifers, in a region that is so geologically stable, it'll still be unchanged by the time the sun eats the Earth.

Just dump it down there. That shit comes out of the earth in the first place, and modern plants generate very little waste. They have super high efficiency.
>>
>>70685214
>implying autism is a real disease and not just an excuse to be degenerate
>>
Fast breeder reactors consuming fission products, nuclear transmutation, and vitrification are all permanent solutions and could be implemented now or in the near future.

>>70687656
Solar is a lot more consistent when you don't have to deal with atmospheric conditions. Our mars laser tank is nuclear powered not solar, and atmosphere is the reason for that. And most expensive does not mean most power intensive.
>>
>>70685214
Got a source, faggot?
>>
>>70691680
All the ozone holes nuclear power will create will make solar more viable.
>>
EXPAND NUCLEAR PLEASE
>>
>>70691789
You do realize that all you see coming from the cooling towers is water vapor, right? I can only guess that you're a nigger abo.
>>
>>70691572
Canadian shield is absolutely perfect for nuclear power plants.
Extremely geologically stable, ample cold water supply, far from population centers that will protest against it.

They really have to expand operations up there.

>>70691789
Until a cloud front rolls in.
>>
if anyone of you want to read up on the german endlager solution for nuclear waste:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/germany-weighs-options-for-handling-nuclear-waste-in-asse-mine-a-884523.html

i know nowadays this is a board for memes and factless discussion, so sorry for the dump of actual information.
>>
>>70685214
There's an obvious solution -- SEND IT TO THE MOON!
>>
>>70685214
>leak into
Nuclear waste is a solid.
>>
I had a class my freshman year of college about this issue and the class was divided up into groups and each one had to come up with and present a topic about nuclear waste after we had been going over it all semester. My group had "How can we responsibly warn civilization in the very far future about the dangers of nuclear waste" that wasn't it exactly but something like that. It was interesting because the waste lasts so long we had to factor in that our languages might not be around and the people that find it might have no knowledge of nuclear waste. It was one of the few group projects I didn't absolutely hate
>>
>>70692028
do you realize that the water vapor coming out of those nuclear plants is contaminated and is radioactive?
>>
>>70685214
Shoot it into the sun on a cheap paper mache rocket
>>
shoot it at the sun; all that nuclear waste will help re-invigorate the protons inside the corona and extend the sun's lifespan another billion years! BOOM I JUST SAVED THE FUTURE AND THE PLANET
>>
>>70692739
Except it isn't, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>70692739
>do you realize that the water vapor coming out of those nuclear plants is contaminated and is radioactive?
You're a moron.
>>
>>70692364
Fag
>>
File: 1416525019373.gif (3 MB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1416525019373.gif
3 MB, 350x262
>>70687271
>but still not 100%.
well everyone is entitled to their op-
>Solar is the future.
>mfw
>>
>>70687271
>Solar is the future
Because you can generate power with solar when it rains, is night, when there are clouds overhead, etc...
>>
old fuel can be recycled into new fuel, burnt up in different kinds of reactors, turned into weapons, or used to make medical isotopes.

the rest of the non fuel waste can be buried under a mountain and tons of cement. there is also glass vitrification. Where you burn it all up and turn it into a glass like slag. where it becomes inert.
>>
>>70692148
>Canadian shield is absolutely perfect for nuclear power plants.

Too bad it's even better for Hydro power.

Nuclear Plants are the only sensible alternative for a lot of the Earth, but not here in Quebec. We're good for dumping though. Especially if it pays well!
>>
>>70686740
this senpai, return it to the envionment
>:^)
>>
The solution is to put it inside a massive granite container called yucca mountain.
>>
>>70693350
I feel like throwing nuclear waste into a volcano would be a bad idea, but I don't know enough about volcanoes to be sure.
>>
>>70693296

Don't forget that solar panels are highly toxic and if destroyed they will pollute the environment!
>>
>>70685214
kill yourself furfag

>>>/co/
>>>/b/
>>
>>70693450
What
>>
Launch it into space
>>
>>70685407

Second post best post. Australia is literally the USA with even less inhabitable/non-wasteland areas. I bet you could bury the worlds nuclear waste in the center of Australia and the world would keep turning normally.
>>
>>70693422
Senator Harry Reid (D, Nevada) has been blocking the use of Yucca mountain for decades.

Then you have all the NIMBY people along the way. Who will block the transport of nuclear materials in the courts for years.
>>
Living along with waste isnt all that bad
Over one billion indians dont seem to be bothered about it
>>
>>70685214

We can always, uh, stop fucking with nuclear things. Ever think of that?
>>
>>70693447
volcanoes aren't hot enough to do anything meaningful to nuclear waste. You just end up with really radioactive ash or lava.
>>
>>70685214
Throw it into the sun.
>>
>>70693450
yeah they are toxic as hell to produce as well!
let me help redpill you on solar panels
they use up a lot of precious earth metals that are in short supply on earth, they take up too much space, and producing them does more harm than good over the average life of a solar panel. its just retarded to push solar, wind, or any other "green" shit when we have nuclear, fusion, and even the energy produced by the fucking tides of the earth to harvest.
>>
File: 1458005376896.png (18 KB, 499x555) Image search: [Google]
1458005376896.png
18 KB, 499x555
>>70685214
>>
>>70693447
>I feel like throwing nuclear waste into a volcano would be a bad idea, but I don't know enough about volcanoes to be sure.
Right because volcanoes are places where shit comes out of the crust. You want the opposite, which is called a subduction zone - a spot where one of earth's plates is pulled under an adjacent plate.

Now the good news about burying nuclear waste in a subduction zone is that it's likely gone for good (pulled into the mantle and dispersed, never to return). The bad news is that subduction zones are very deep under the ocean, and tend to be the epicenter of earthquakes, making it difficult to get anything down there for long enough to be pulled into the mantle. It's also currently against international treaties to dump nuclear waste in the ocean, including a subduction zone.
>>
I prefer the softer color of my light-bulbs when powered by solar.
>>
>>70685214

You can use the '"""waste"""" as fuel in a different type of reactor, and then use use the waste from that in a different reactor in an iterative proccess that breaks it down until it is benign.

If brain dead ideologically-driven greenfags like you hadn't sabotaged nuclear we would be far less reliant on fossil fuels than we are today (France for example gets 3/4 its electricity from nuclear)

Nuclear is economically and environmentally viable, but it's not politically viable because of fact-free fanatics like you, which is why USA is not building any more reactors.

Meanwhile in developing countries a fucking shitload of reactors are being built. China alone literally has dozens either currently under construction or planned.

In the past century, nothing has been as damaging to the planet as the "green" movement which killed nuclear and ensured the continued dominance of oil/natural gas/coal in the 20th century as well as the foreseeable future resulting in incalculable environmental damage and geopolitical turmoil.
>>
>>70693515
No thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_medicine
>>
>>70694037
I see you didn't mention Japan or Russia there. Hm, I wonder why.

Don't give me crap about global warming with burning fossil fuels either, it's a """"THEORY""" not a fact. Nuclear reactors are dangerous, and the WASTE they produce will give your kids autism.
>>
>>70694037
you are doing gods fucking work anon

imagine the internation political table today if nuclear had replaced coal, natural gas, and oil. we could still use petroelum in automotives but our consumption would be greatly reduced and we wouldn't need to strike deals with the sand nigger kings.
>>
>>70694275
Just imagine the radiation filled hell-hole. Also nice racism there. Sad.
>>
>>70685914
Lob it into the sun. The fuck is a little spent uranium to a massive continuous fusion reaction?
>>
>>70694475
>nuclear-reactor-japan-explosion.jpg

Fuck off shill
>>
>>70694544
And create more pollution by launching a rocket? Humans don't deserve to leave this planet until they fix everything here.
>>
>>70685914
It will take a LONG time for it reach anyone from some parts of the Outback.
>>
>>70691789
>thinking steam burns holes in the ozone
Go get chromed abbo
>>
>>70686740
You mean a subducting zone (i.e. a mid-oceanic trench, like someone suggested elsewhere) where the rock is moving down into the inner Earth, not where a volcano is bringing material UP to the surface. I hope.
>>
>>70687105
Uh, it will never be 'completely turned into energy', not in the life of our civilisation, anyway.
>>
>>70687105
>Breeder reactors
How long have they been talking about these? If they were real they would be everywhere.
>>
>>70694653
>Let's never go into space again guys!
>We'll just happily doom ourselves to slow self-extermination as we consume our only biosphere!
I already told you to go get chromed abbo, please listen
>>
>>70694951
>whine your way into making sure no new plants are being built
>"If nucleal is viable, where are the new plants !?"
The artificial womb can't come soon enough, you parasites are going to be the death of our species.
>>
>>70692739
Uh, no it isn't. The excess heat is exchanged from the coolant fluid to the water outside the reactor vessel. There must be some small irradiation products, yes, but they'd be very minimal in the time it takes for the 2 liquids to pass by each other in the heat exchanger (where they are also kept in separate piping systems, OK?). You know. like the coolant in your fridge never actually touches the food.
>>
>>70695008
>implying that's what I said at all
Eat another burger, friend.
>>
>>70695147
Nuclear reactors are getting shut down all over the planet, thorium reactors don't exist and breeder reactors aren't real.

Solar power is real.
>>
>>70693296
"What are new battery technologies?"
Tesla's new Power-Wall is on sale here (for scale testing, I believe).
>>
>>70695276
>fix -everything-
Please, tell me what we need to fix before we can leave. Triage order, if you will.
>>
What about the thorium salt reactor meme?
it works i guess.
>>
>>70695374
As I already said, EVERYTHING. If time-travel is possible (it is), then we can fix everything. Go on, have yet another burger, American.
>>
>>70694544
And how often do launches fail? Or succeed, but the payload gets stuck in the wrong orbit? The outcome would be contamination over a large area. Do YOU want to live down-wind or down-range of the launch site?
>>
>>70695276
>fix everything as if we have the power which we dont

>space travel

Pick one and only one. If you did not understand >>70695008 than you are stupid and cannot connect dots
>>
File: 1375519314829.jpg (39 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
1375519314829.jpg
39 KB, 431x431
>>70695343
More like coal is real.
>>
>>70690728
>It's also in outer-fucking-space you moron
Which has what to do with consume waste fuel in fast breeder reactors?
>>
>>70695343
Solar power amounts to nothing
>>
>>70695343
Solar power is not cost efficient, take in count the maintenance.
>>
File: fat black nigger.jpg (276 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
fat black nigger.jpg
276 KB, 1600x900
>>70685214
Blast it into space

https://soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/emperor-trump
>>
>>70694951
Nuclear Plants are expensive and uranium is cheap so no one wants to make any.
>>
>>70695549
>If time-travel is possible (it is)
wew lad, too much sun for you m8

>>70695603
There's a big difference between charting a vessel for a sustained orbit and charting a vessel into a terminal descent. Chart distance to target, factor in speed of rocket, aim rocket at location where sun will be at X time by Y speed, fire.
>>
>>70685914
>Rocket explodes mid air
>Nuclear rain

Sounds like your average day in australia but in other places that sounds like bad news.
>>
File: thumbs-up.jpg (16 KB, 423x272) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.jpg
16 KB, 423x272
As the problem grows, so will the incentive to solve it.
>>
File: 1455333450749.gif (953 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
1455333450749.gif
953 KB, 330x300
>>70685214
One word: "SPACE".
>>
>>70685214
>there's always space
>>
>>70695963
>>70696645
>>70696770
Delta v alone makes it retarded, but the fact you want to throw away fuel is the cherry on top.

>Let's throw our oil into the sun !
>>
>>70696645
>>70696770
>Launch our nuclear waste into space
>It collides with a hidden alien invasion fleet
>They realize what it is
>Panic because of the mistaken assumption that we can both detect them and launch hundreds of tons of highly radioactive material at them at a time as a weapon
>Earth designated class SSS+ dangerous planet
>Only aliens who ever make contact are the fucking predators who think we're the most dangerous game
Good job assholes.
>>
>>70697122
Would we be able to store the waste where noone would give a shit? Like Australia or something?
>>
>>70695365
Batteries are shit. They are not good ways to store huge amounts of power. You have to put many times the amount of energy into them that you get out.
>>
>>70697383
No, we produce electricity with the waste.
The waste's waste that can't be turned into useful tech or weaponry can fit in a barrel. One barrel. And that's until we find uses for it.
>>
>>70697155
kek dubs must be true
>>
File: 1460278181671.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460278181671.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
>>70696302
>average day in Australia

SAVAGE
>>
>>70697155
Saved as pasta.
>>
>>70699034

>first everything was "epic"
>now everything is "savage"

Daily reminder that if you speak like this you are a flaming faggot and should consider euthanasia.
>>
>>70685214
Sahara Desert
>>
>>70699283
I came here straight from 9Gag, still using their terminology.
>>
>>70685214
We can just dump it in Australia.
>>
>>70699412
Fuck you.
>>
>>70685214

That's because you're an Aussie and you don't have Onkalo.
>>
File: 1412621905985.png (17 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1412621905985.png
17 KB, 500x300
Can we not launch it into space?

Or dump it on the mecca?
>>
SpaceX's end game is to have a monopoly on the one way ticket to the sun trip market.
Elon will get filthy rich sending nuclear waste, radio active material and jews into space.
>>
All the US's nuclear waste from the last 50 years would fill a football field 10 yards deep. And we have ways to store it.

Only uninformed retards and greenfags think its a problem.
>>
Why not crush nuclear waste up, dilute it in dirt and fill depleted uranium mines with it?
>>
File: Shitposter Unmasked.jpg (49 KB, 299x295) Image search: [Google]
Shitposter Unmasked.jpg
49 KB, 299x295
>>70685214
>flag
>>
>>70700634
For fuck's sake, just put jews into woodchippers.
This would make for great fertiliser.
Why are you faggots always going for the wasteful and impractical avenues.
>>
Literally 0 solutions that could work ITT.
>>
>>70685214
shut up auscuck
>>
Space lift and convoy it into the sun. Or in the interim burry it somewhere dead like the Gobi
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.