[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to pursue a degree in cultural anthropology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: cuddeback2.jpg (62 KB, 880x495) Image search: [Google]
cuddeback2.jpg
62 KB, 880x495
Is there any way to pursue a degree in cultural anthropology while being fed as little tumblr and postmodern bullshit as possible?
>>
Why would you even pursue a degree that won't give you marketable skills?
>>
>>70607917
Because I can do TEFL while pursuing higher education abroad and it would allow me to get my foot in the door there.
>>
>>70607807
Probably not. Pursue a degree in physical anthropology/osteology instead.
Impress the people of the humanities and medicine alike by merging the two sciences.
>>
>>70608001
>please let me live vicariously through you
no
>>
>>70607807

No, your degree will be useless and you'll end up selling cell phones, car insurance, or other bullshit that will eat you alive.

Get a real degree.
>>
>>70608131
>real degree

do tell
>>
>>70607807
Get your degree abroad.
Japan, Russia, Poland or some other non-cucked country.
>>
File: 1458338022173.gif (92 KB, 398x382) Image search: [Google]
1458338022173.gif
92 KB, 398x382
>>70608417

Believe it or not, a degree in cultural anthropology would be valuable to military and information focused agencies. I'd recommend you steer your program of study to cultures of geostrategic importance.
>>
>>70608114
Eh. I am an osteologist.
>>
>>70608612
Now that's an interesting answer. In what respect would it be useful? I'm at a loss how I can steer myself towards military goals besides focusing on some specialization in some part of a relevant culture like certain parts of the middle east and west africa.
>>
File: 1447054593698.png (629 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1447054593698.png
629 KB, 1000x750
>>70608801

Congratulations. I think you see the light. Good luck and Godspeed.
>>
>>70607807

Cultural anthropology is SJW central. It's basically not a real degree anymore.
>>
>>70609153
Wait, shit, what?
>>
>>70609354
That's what I worry about. I don't give a fuck about colonialism or power structures. The latter may assist in discerning how ideas are exchanged but I'm interested in what ideas were exchanged and the central disagreements. Like the build up modernity and its clash with pre-modern thought. I find that fascinating and you just see it glossed over.
>>
>>70608612
millitary don't care about that. When America started war against Afghanistan CIA advertised in the newspaper for a job for anyone who even knew any of the languages in Afghanistan. ands then as soon as they get someone local then you are out of a job again
>>
>>70607807

Just buy the fucking books mate.
>>
No.

The whole field of 'cultural anthropology' came out of the Lewontin versus E.O. Wilson culture war in the '70s over Wilson's book, "Sociobiology," which became a big influence on the nascent field of evolutionary psychology. Cultural anthropology became the academic redoubt for anthropologists who couldn't accept the conclusions of evolutionary psychologists and biology-aware anthropologists that some differences between (racial) groups are genetic.
>>
>>70610643
>who couldn't accept the conclusions of evolutionary psychologists and biology-aware anthropologists that some differences between (racial) groups are genetic.

So OP could swing this around. Nothing is set in stone that it has to be a certain way.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.