[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where would you want to live if you were alive in 1190?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19
File: Europe_mediterranean_1190.jpg (834 KB, 2293x1810) Image search: [Google]
Europe_mediterranean_1190.jpg
834 KB, 2293x1810
Where would you want to live if you were alive in 1190?
>>
>>70604468
A Norman castle in Somerset.
>>
File: image.png (452 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
image.png
452 KB, 900x506
>>70604468
Constantinople.
>>
>>70604468
Somewhere in Europe where people washed themselves, where there weren't many swamps and where Mongols didn't get to.
>>
>>70605898
Muslim Spain
>>
Rome or Constantinople. Maybe I could help prevent schism.
>>
>>70605898
Venice, Milan or Florence would be a good bet
>>
Rome, Athens, or Constantinople.
>>
>>70605968
Fair enough.
desu i wouldn't want to live anywhere on earth other than Europe after the 1950's, even if i was guaranteed to be a King 'n shieeeet.
>fall off my horse while hunting
>scrape my knee
>wound gets infected
>leg is amputated
>what's left of it is infected again
>die
>>
>>70604468
1190? That sucks. Saladin is just about to cuck the Fatimids, the Almohad psychos have messed up Southern Spain and the Crusaders are just about out of time.

Constantinople or maybe Toledo.
>>
The west, so Mongols dont come chop my fucking head off in 30 years.
>>
>>70606252
>Athens
Is anything even going on there then?
>>
>>70606064

It already happened you mongoloid nigger faggot
>>
>>70605968

In this time Muslim Spain is ruled by Almohads who are basically medieval Berber ISIS.
>>
>>70604468
In North America. I'd like to see it untouched by civilizations.

Just give me a few women to start an indian tribe with.
>>
>>70604468
Rome

I would say Constantinople but it will get sacked in a few years
>>
>>70606427

THERE WAS STILL HOPE AT THAT TIME NUMNUTS
>>
>>70606401
Think Athens stopped mattering after Roman emperor shut down Plato's academy and all the other schools established by famous philosophers.
>>
>>70604468
doesn't fucking matter where you lived. there's a 99% chance you'd be a fucking peasant.
>>
>>70604468
Norway, and be a viking
>>
>>70604468
Byzantium ofc. Time to put that Komnenian Restoration into top speed. And kill Orhan Ottoman slut of a grandmother/mother.
>>
>>70606534

literally nothing wrong with that
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458799222631.jpg (28 KB, 500x308) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458799222631.jpg
28 KB, 500x308
>>70604468
Innawoods in Lithuania, away from plague.
>>
>>70606473
Sounds pretty good to me.

>>70606534
I've always held a certain romanticism for being an English peasant, living in some quaint village. Getting drunk at church, rofl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3YDN5gTX0
>>
>>70606660
>I've always held a certain romanticism for being an English peasant, living in some quaint village.

Even during Elizabeth I's reign the English peasant lived in filthy hovel let alone in late 1100s.
>>
>>70606401
"The 11th and 12th centuries were the Golden Age of Byzantine art in Athens. Almost all of the most important Middle Byzantine churches in and around Athens were built during these two centuries, and this reflects the growth of the town in general. "

It is the cradle of western civilization, so that attracts me. At that time life was pretty good. It got shitty right after that when the Muslims took over, of course.
>>
>>70606753
Comparen to a cuckshed with a reindeer dung oven, Jorma?
>>
>>70606632
>>70606660
omg, have neither of you taken an upper-division course on the middle ages?

life was shit. drop your romantic notions.
>>
Rural germany
>>
File: ArabScholar.png (2 MB, 854x643) Image search: [Google]
ArabScholar.png
2 MB, 854x643
>>70604468
Not gonna lie senpai gonna have to go with the Middle East

While Europeans were busy rolling around in their own plague infested shit the Muslims were enjoying a cool golden age
>>
File: 1217495294956.png (752 KB, 450x735) Image search: [Google]
1217495294956.png
752 KB, 450x735
>>70606632
>>70606660
>you don't even own your land
>you can barely live off of it
>big chunk of the shit you manage to grow goes to your liege
>the "town" you're a part of is full of mud, shit and farm animals
>big shiny church in the middle of it all
>you have to go there or people automatically assume you're the devil and murder you at night
>boar and dear either eat your fucking crops or trample over them
>if you have livestock wolves kill it
>if there's a war your land is trashed and you're murdered
>if you survive, you die in the next couple og weeks because you have nothing to eat
>if none of that happens you can get a disease and die in a matter of days
>>
>>70606927

In 1190? Everything was falling apart Mongols were about to completely fuck shit up if you live long enough.
>>
>>70606473
>>70606583
These. Norse Greenland, so I could sail to Helluland, Markland and Vinland for sweet native furs and corn.
>>
>>70606583
>american education
>>
>>70606979
Yeah that is the worst possible case scenarios. Some areas of europe were like that, many areas were boring and stable. We see history of their time in terms of decades and centuries so it looks hectic. This "everything was horrible in this time" meme needs to die.

>>70607019
lmao greenland was actually terrible and I think the weather gets cold soon and everyone has to leave or die. And the viking era is over by now.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>70606378
>implying you'd live to be 30

Silly peasant you'd be lucky to get 25.
>>
>>70604468
The khazars
>>
>>70607142
What you think there going to teach us about the irrelevant shit holes in Europe during the 12th century? Sorry Mongols your not that important.
>>
>>70607001
Easy, just pack up my scrolls and shit and haul ass to Spain
>>
>>70607267
>my country having any connection with your stupidity and lack of knowledge
Viking Age ended with death of Harald Hardrada, and that was in 1066 you dumb cunt.
>>
>>70606753
Well, I don't think the material standards were ever that good for peasants until pretty recently?

>>70606870
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_by_past_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

>>70606979
see >>70607195

Plus, keep in mind, in many European countries as much as half of your income goes to paying taxes. Technically, it required less labor on your part to pay your taxes in the middle-ages, than it does today. The problem was that it took so much work to feed yourself.
>>
>>70607001
If you lived in Baghdad, there's a slight chance that you would live until 68 before watching the Muslims kill you and everyone you know. I'd say it would be worth it.
>>
>>70607195
>stability in the middle ages

you're fucked in the head. nothing was stable. there was always a 50/50 chance crops would fail. disease was rampant. if you had children, at least half would die before reaching maturity. most of the populations were laboring peasants. not land owners, not renters, but laborers. shit, even in the elizabethian age, the average wage was 2 pounds per year (while a living hen was valued at 100 pounds).
>>
>>70607361
>GDP

doesn't fucking matter. life was short. every one of us is lucky to even exist today.
>>
>>70607203
This meme needs to die as well.

People always misread life-expectancy statistics. If the average life-expectancy is 35, it doesn't mean people died at 35.
The problem historically was the high infant-mortality rate.
Kids get sick, and without vaccines and antibiotics, they die.
If one person dies at 70, and another dies at birth. The average life-expectancy is 35.

If you lived till you were 15, your average life-expectancy in the middle-ages was more like 55-70(depending on your occupation).

http://www.livescience.com/10569-human-lifespans-constant-2-000-years.html
>>
>>70607195
>>70607361
Let me tell you about Belgian history from the late 13th century.
>peasant steals cow from one city
>it's ruler (bishop of liège) gets butthurt, asks for compensation
>mix up with orders, he gets executed by some soldiers
>his liege (marquis of namur) gets fucking pissed and declares war on the bishop
>they both drag in their allies from the surrounding states
>french king has to step in to sort this shit out
>in the meantime 60 villages were burned down and some 15k people died
People didn't live long at all back then because of both natural and unnatural causes. The only reason we're here today is because everyone had more than five kids, out of which about one or two survived and had more than five kids himself.
>>
>>70607616
>one time one crazy thing happened in five hundred years
k
>>
>not choosing the Most Serene Republic of Venice
>>
Hungary, and I would tell the dumb fucks to think for like three seconds and realize they weren't the last horse people left in the east and build a bunch of fucking fortresses to defend the country.

That way we wouldn't have to import a bunch of stinky Romanians to replace all the dead surfs and lose Transylvania to them.
>>
>>70607700
Rulers had wars over completely stupid shit just to have dick measuring contests and thousands of people died every time.
>see this river? well that's not the border between our lands anymore, it's that hill all the way out there
>see this guy? that's my step half little big cousin from my grandfather's family and because he's related to your sister's mom, your land is mine
That's basically how shit went. It got worse with religious wars.
>>
>>70607496
>life was short
Seriously man, go fucking educate yourself.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/08/29/why-a-medieval-peasant-got-more-vacation-time-than-you/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/how-the-middle-ages-reall_b_5767240.html

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html

As I pointed out in my above post, kids get sick a lot. From the time you are born until you are an teenager, you'll go to the doctor repeatedly, as your immune system is being bombarded by a variety of diseases.

Once you are a teenager, the vast majority of people have no need whatsoever of going to the doctor until they are like 40 or 50. Many people never need to go to the doctor at all, then one day they just have a stroke and die at like 80.

The main issue in the middle-ages was plagues, which in many cases, only happened once every several hundred years, but when they hit, it was obviously bad news.
>>
>>70607700
nigga that's one example out of a thousand

there was basically non stop war over the entire continent because lords couldn't stop warring over stupid shit
>>
>>70607616
You do realize that like, 100 million people were killed in the span of a decade as a result of wars and communism, in the 20th century?
>>
>>70607951
How is that different from today?

11k people die every year from gun deaths (excluding suicide) in the USA. How long did those wars killing 15k last?
>>
>>70608073
World is a cunt, that's why i said in a previous post i'd live any time between the 50's and now in Europe, because there wasn't as much bullshit going on.
>>
Whereever Genghis Khan was at that time. Fighting, pillaging and impregnating everything
>>
>>70608073
>>70608091
Larger population doesn't mean a more violent population. A higher percentage of Europeans died in the Thirty Years war than in WW2.
>>
>>70606474
>in a few years
yeah in three fucking centuries
>>
>>70607336
>implying your not justifying your small polish cock

Holy shit faggot altert.
>>
>>70608161
You're a real pussy ain't ya. I should expect nothing less from a waffle.

>>70608318
I never said it did. But this Belgian cunt acts like 15k is some kind of big deal or something.

Besides, the Thirty Years War mostly just killed Germans, so no one cares.
>>
Probably Poland so I can make sure we can round up the Jews there.
>>
>>70604468
Kingdom of Navarre, grandmothers side of the family has roots there. Been there on holiday, lovely place, great skiing in the Pyrenees.
>>
>>70608499
I thought they were supporting the Jews who were fleeing the HRE, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>70608623
Well game plan would be to expel the Jews from Europe forever, changing history as we know it.
>>
>>70608430
not by the ottomans but by french crusaders
>>
Seems like Australia might be a good choice. Wouldn't be too hard to eradicate the natives and set myself up as king.
>>
>>70608554
What if you from future start this line?
>>
>>70607616
>The only reason we're here today is because everyone had more than five kids, out of which about one or two survived and had more than five kids himself.
Let me add, this isn't fucking true either.

The highest reliable source for child mortality rate in the middle-ages, was about 30% of children dying before reaching adulthood, with most of those dying within the first year.

In truth, if you had six kids, four to five of them were likely to live to adulthood in the middle-ages.

Also, women didn't necessarily even have large families. I think the average size of a family in the middle-ages was more like four.

Also, a lot of people became nuns and priests(or other members of the Church), and had no children. Many men/women never married(or never remarried if their spouse died).

Women, until the rise of capitalism, were needed for their labor as well. Women churned butter, made cheese, tended the garden, tended the livestock, and in many cases, even worked in the fields. It was often inconvenient to have a woman effectively unable to work for months, or in some cases years.

After capitalism, there was a high demand for labor(which is why America started importing so many slaves/immigrants), and so women, until basically the 20th century, become nothing but perpetual baby factories who largely just stayed at home and raised children.
>>
France or England
>>
Next to the opium fields
>>
>>70610350
>This lady broke down some numbers.
http://madeofwynn.net/2013/10/07/misuse-of-the-word-medieval-part-14-women-are-baby-machines/

Half of all married women in the middle-ages, had three or less children.

Tired of idiots who believe the feminist bullshit that the entire past sucked. You should read some fucking Rousseau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau#Theory_of_Natural_Human
>>
File: h5_25.224.jpg (111 KB, 724x400) Image search: [Google]
h5_25.224.jpg
111 KB, 724x400
Nobleman in Japan
>>
>>70604468
Whichever place had the best internet for shitposting
>>
>>70604468
In Jerusalem or Damascus.

>>70605898
>Europe
>washed themselves

The first time europeans regurlary washed themselves was when muslims took spain. so you mean spain?
>>
For some reference. Imagine being some native tribesman in the United States before European contact.

Pic-related isn't quite the whole story, but it certainly goes in that direction.
>>
Somewhere between Hamburg and Sicily, along that line, maybe in France where the two peoples most met.

Most probably the holy ""Roman"" empire.
>>
>>70611441
>isn't quite the whole story
Yeah, no kidding. Tribal war mean anything to you?
>>
>>70604468
there was no russia in 1190
>>
I would like to be a geisha precursor. Obviously Japan, then.
>>
>>70611168
>>70610350
>>70607958
>>70607570

I admire your efforts, anon. You're undertaking a nearly-thankless task here.
>>
>>70611686
>hates commies
>belive in greatest commie lies about Kievan Russia.
go suck a pig hole.
>>
>>70611564
It wasn't an everyday occurrence by any means. But it depends mostly on the tribe and location.

What we are talking about is "primitivism". Which is normally broke down into "hard" and "soft" primitivism.

Soft-primitivism is usually associated with some place like Hawaii pre-contact. Food was abundant on the islands, it grew all year-round, the weather was great, and there was basically never any war.

Hard-primitivism would be more associated with the harsher climates, especially where hunting was a significant portion of your diet, and where starvation was a real threat. In that situation, fight for territory was common(think of it like Lions in Africa).

In America, the Northeastern United States would fall mostly in the "soft-primitivism" category. While the "Great Plains"(IE buffalo-hunters), would fall more into the hard-primitivism category. The Western United States was also pretty good living. And even the Eskimos, who have an extremely harsh existence, were generally a friendly lot.

The Plains Indians were pretty much scum. Also, the Aztecs were scum as well. Mayans were pretty cool.
>>
>>70611963
>cont..
Let me add two things...
First, the United States is about the size of all of Europe combined. There were a lot of different tribes and cultures, over a very diverse terrain.

Secondly, when the United States made the Louisiana Purchase, Louis and Clark ventured into territory, full of natives who had never even been contacted by the white man.

They obviously didn't get killed by crazy murderous natives.

Actual tribal warfare was pretty rare in most places. Though there are always exceptions. And when people like yourself go through history, you have a tendency to look at the exception and pretend it was the rule, because that is what you want to believe.
>>
>>70604468
If I could take a shipload of hot women and a few castrated labourer/slaves with me, New Zealand. No other humans there yet.
>>
>>70612727
Read Francis Parkman's accounts. Plains Indians were comically brutal and chauvinistic.
>>
>>70604468
Jerusalem.
>>
>>70604468
Lithuania
>>
>>70605898
Novgorod.
>>
File: Voltaire_lisant.jpg (189 KB, 831x1000) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire_lisant.jpg
189 KB, 831x1000
I'm sorry, what is the name of that blue blob in the middle?
>>
File: file.png (46 KB, 152x154) Image search: [Google]
file.png
46 KB, 152x154
>>70616654
>HOLY
>>
>>70616654
>back
>to
>/his/
>>
File: file.png (30 KB, 140x106) Image search: [Google]
file.png
30 KB, 140x106
>>70616654
>ROMAN
>>
File: file.png (14 KB, 128x48) Image search: [Google]
file.png
14 KB, 128x48
>>70616654
>EMPIRE
>>
Wherever I can be a merchant rather than a peasant.
>>
>>70616756
Do I smell German tears?
>>
>>70606927
That's a funny way to say squatting on top of the silk road, Roman, Greek, Indian and Byzantine knowledge. The Islamic Golden Age is a black Egyptians-tier meme. The only area of the middle east with it's own independent advancement at that time was Syria and the Muslims fucked their shit up and destroyed everything when they wrested it from the Byzantines.
>>
>>70604468
Venice sounds pretty cozy, desu. I'll be dead before the plague hits, so I could do Paris as well.
>>
>>70616876
this desu

not to mention that it's islamic conquests which put a stranglehold on Europe and other Christian places. After all, Islamic invasions along the Mediterrenean stopped the flow of gold into Europe (except marginally through the sale of white slaves to Arabic sultan, usually women), destroyed advanced kingdoms such as the visigoths and caused urban civilizations such as byzantium to become feudal backwaters, all the while places such as Axum went into decline from being cut off from the rest of the Christian world. Not to mention Islamic raids, pillaging and massacres of Christian property and lives all along the southern European coast.

I always cringe when people bring up the "European Dark Ages" vs. "The Islamic Golden Age" in arguments about Islam. If anything, it's a testament to what happens when we let unbridled Islamic conquest go out of control and unpunished.
>>
The same as i am now.
I'll be a viking or something and trade across the baltic and the eastern parts of europe, sounds good, ja?
>>
>>70617021

the city smells like shit, doesnt it? Be more comfy to live in the very center of some stable country
>>
Probably as a English earl or duke.
>get to live in a sweet castle
>own a decent chunk of land
>go hunting/do some falconry/race some horses/hold a tourney whenever your bored.
>wear some dank full mail armour and basically be a human tank and smash through your enemies.
>go to Rome and Canterbury for a pilgrimage
>fuck my pure virginal qt French noblewoman wife and get a shit ton of silver for doing it.

Seems pretty fun.
>>
>>70617330
>Viking
>1190
k
>>
>>70604468
oh hold up there, theres no finland on that map ............
>>
Kingdom of Hungary
>>
Cornwall, England
>>
>>70604468
>Russia
>1190
please trash yourself
>>
>>70605744
Byzantium got rekt by Bulgaria.
>>
>>70617973

And that Viking in 1190 would be rowing his ass over to take your shit and then sail home again once in a while.
>>
>>70604468

If I wasn't a noble, I would rather be in Venice. If I am not a pleb and a member of the noble master race I'd be a member of the HRE.
>>
russia was founded by swedish vikings you dumbfucks
>>
>>70606583
sorry but in 1190 the viking age would had been over for 124 years
>>
>>70604468
Probably a city in northern Italy.

>>70620923
America: 24th in education and showing it.
>>
Somewhere in the Royal French domain.
ANGEVINS GET THE FUCK OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>70604468
Nuremberg
>>
Probably in China desu. Or India.
>>
The roman empire of course.
You'd have to be a retarded mouthbreather to choose anything else.
>>
>>70626952
Roman Empire unironically had DSS. not kidding
>>
>>70604468
australia
>>
>>70604468
Russia, ofcorse, likely Nowgorod, i think.
>>70611686
Lol, whut? Alternative history?
>>
File: рюрик1.jpg (166 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
рюрик1.jpg
166 KB, 700x393
>>70620756
>(Old East Slavic Pѹ́cь[1] (Rus'), Pѹ́cьcкaѧ зeмлѧ[1] (Ruskaya zemlya), Greek Ῥωσία, Latin Rus(s)ia, Ruscia, Ruzzia, Rut(h)enia,[2][3] Old Norse Garðaríki)
>>
>>70607203
le medieval times were dark and bad and spoopy xdddddd
>>
>>70605744

Constantinople was shit then.

It was rampant with corruption and ruined by religious fuckery. The people even didnt object to ottoman rule because the previous rule was much shittier anyway.
>>
>>70604468
Constantinople.
>>
Somewhere in Italy, probably.
>>
>>70606534
>material wealth = happiness

looks like i spotted the marxist
>>
>>70606782

Haha i love how amerifats make up shit and believe in them with such passion

Byzantine (read leftover romans) actually shit on greek culture and is the reason they lost their former glory. Romans ruined tons of cultures, they are the reason we know so little about ancient history because they were literally knowledge destroyers.

They are the first most organised empire to push this multi cultural bullcrap which you all whine about, bringing "civilization" to weaker nations and fucking up every culture they can reach out.
>>
>>70604468
Saladin all the way
>>
>>70627916
Reminder that turkic mongoloids destroyed thousands of years of european culture and are the main reason why east mediterranean is such a giant pile of shit these day.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 219x295) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 219x295
>>70627666

He could just be a materialist of the American/New Babylonian variety.

>>70604468

The Holy Roman Empire. Frederick II, the last true king, will BTFO the Catholic cucks and their French pets. The dead tree will blossom again. Prestor John himself will deliver the Grail to the king.
>>
File: 1455571484681.png (193 KB, 502x318) Image search: [Google]
1455571484681.png
193 KB, 502x318
>>70604468
Where is Rumania?
>>
>>70627345
That is one hot Turkish meme.
>>
>>70605744
You would only have 14 years before the sea jews get you.
>>
>>70628497
>le self-hating American

2007 nostalgia thread isn't here buddy
>>
>>70628521
>Romania
>1190
Lowl.
>>
In my country.
>>
>>70604468

Italy.

Any other answer is retarded.
>>
File: varangian_guard.jpg (122 KB, 1050x900) Image search: [Google]
varangian_guard.jpg
122 KB, 1050x900
Do Constantinople still take in Swedes for the Varangian guard? If so I would pick Sweden and then go down to Constantinople for money and glory in honorable combat(and the Greek qts)
>>
Spain, die in glorious battle.
>>
>>70628800
this, you'd be getting 4th crusaded into a rubble and experience the decline that resulted
>>
>>70606064
>1053
>>70607203
>hurr everybody died at the age of 30
>I don't understand what life expectancy AT BIRTH means
American education, both of you
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.