[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about the Citadelle Laferrière, a for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
What does /pol/ think about the Citadelle Laferrière, a fort in Haiti entirely built by blacks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadelle_Laferrière
>>
>>70561976
The leader of whom was raised and educated as a Frenchman.
>>
>>70561976
Slaves don't count. The honour goes to the slave owner
>>
>>70562048
>>70561976
Built of concrete invented <2000 years ago?
>>
>>70561976
I think they used european architectural knowledge.
>>
>>70561976

>tfw they make this average piece of shit fortress a World Heritage site because it was built by blacks
>>
>>70561976
>>70562261
looks like a prison.
>>
>>70562048
A good leader that had to put blacks under "not slavery but you are forced to work for me" to actually make money
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Christophe
>>
>After visiting the Citadel in July 2012, President Michel Martelly heavily criticized the National Institute for Historic Preservation (ISPAN) — the organization tasked with preserving Haiti's cultural heritage sites — describing the site as in a state of disrepair and calling ISPAN's efforts "unacceptable".[2] His visit was intended to assess the state of the Citadel for conservation, but he refused to visit its upper levels, deeming them unsafe for visitors.[3]

Real impressive
>>
>>70562186
American education...
>Takes rocks for concrete
>>
>>70562202
And we still use indian numbers...WTF Spaniard?!
>>
>Defeat the French
>Spend 40 years building a fortress in case they come back.
>They never did.
>>
>>70561976
I actually went there a few years ago. It was pretty impressive. But there were no staff on-site. You could just roam around everywhere you wanted, including the roof. The roof has crossbeam things but no guardrails, so it's kind of an adventure.

The town down below the fort is one of the nicest towns in Haiti, which isn't saying much. But it has some old palaces and ruins and parks, and is not as slum-filled as other places.

Anyway, it's a short hop from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to Cap-Haïtien airport if any /pol/bros want to visit. You can do it in a weekend and come back with some stories.
>>
>>70563623
Also, the "Ferrier" in the name of the complex was actually a Scottish architect named Farrar. And the construction of the site basically bankrupted Haiti and led to a civil war.
>>
>>70561976

"Two architects were engaged with the design: Henry Beese, an Englishman – and Frenchman Henri Barre."

http://www.hasnas.com/haiti/2011/7/10/citadelle-laferriere.html
>>
>>70561976

I think that all Americans should be grateful for the Haitian Revolution because it directly caused the financial difficulties that forced Napoleon to sell you Louisiana for fuckall and a dime.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.