[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is pol opinion of neil degrasse tyson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 24
File: black science man.jpg (27 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
black science man.jpg
27 KB, 450x350
What is pol opinion of neil degrasse tyson?
>>
Looks like the guy who stole my bike.
>>
inb4 a million comments about how much of a fraud dumbass he is

he's a great pop scientist, stop criticising him because you're insecure
>>
File: main_logo.png (150 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
main_logo.png
150 KB, 400x200
A lot of my friends are career academics or aerospace engineers, and they hate the whole science pop-star image and how he tries to brand everything with his "science is totally radical" image. Also Startalk Radio went pretty shit after the first year or two, now it's just NDT and Friends.

The science industry needs a popularizer, though, and he's less objectionable than he could be. The whole "I fucking love science" crowd always reminded me of the science proselytizers from Foundation who just went around making people comfortable so they wouldn't go around smashing computer servers and burning libraries.
>>
he's awesome. watch the amnh isaac asimov discussions and shit like this, he stands out on the panels he's on for his ability to convey (whatever the talking point is) with passion and sincerity, but keeping the room light enough to make jokes and engage
>>
>>70548449
jew/cuck
>>
>>70548522
kek
>>
File: TysonTrump.png (179 KB, 1238x638) Image search: [Google]
TysonTrump.png
179 KB, 1238x638
He believes in open borders and shit but he did say something good about Trump a few weeks ago which triggered some leftists
>>
But it do
>>
>>70548985
ip pretty sure he is black, not jew
>>
>>70548935
>A lot of my friends are career academics or aerospace engineers, and they hate the whole science pop-star image and how he tries to brand everything with his "science is totally radical" image

your friends are stuck-up faggots if true
>>
>>70548449
meme facebook nigger
>>
Poor man's Sagan.
>>
File: trumpit.jpg (37 KB, 368x500) Image search: [Google]
trumpit.jpg
37 KB, 368x500
>>70548935
>so they wouldn't go around smashing computer servers and burning libraries

They're called xtians, and they are mindless niggers to a one
>>
I was listening to a /x/ like radio show he called into. Tyson pwned the idiot host that thought he saw a UFO. He told the idiot that it was just a drone. SHit was so cash.
>>
File: 1457591596391.jpg (53 KB, 600x588) Image search: [Google]
1457591596391.jpg
53 KB, 600x588
The black science guy?
>>
>>70548449
I judge scientists by what they discovered.
Not by the color of their skin.

So....what that nigger discovered?
>>
>>70549074
No they absolutely are, even though they just take pressure variables on wind tunnels and make sure all the numbers match on the weekly reports. "why don't people understand what I do, all they want is pretty pictures of sand and fractals and shit".

Personally, I don't really give a shit about science. Agriculture was a mistake and we'd all be happier as hunter-gatherers.
>>
>>70549401
>I judge scientists by what they discovered.
because every cosmologist discovered space
are you a cockologist
>>
>>70549548
You can also "discover" a new theory.
It doesn't have to be a physical object.

>autistst
>>
>>70548449
arrogant prick with a "holier-than-thou" attitude when it comes to pop science.

he says nothing new and when he branches out of his field of work to address politics / religion / the news / wars, it sounds like something out of www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart except he's a grown man and not a 14 year old autist.
>>
>>70549074

I agree, after all, Facebook and twitter are respected and renowned peer-reviewed journals.
Only the finest minds congregate on social media.
>>
>>70548449
He is a transracist.
As a white person born in a black body.
>>
>>70548449
Affirmative Action Nigger.
>>
hes a meme scientist but i have nothing against him

i somewhat enjoyed the Cosmos remake

occasionally he says really dumb meme shit though, like that tweet criticising the existence of borders
>>
>>70548449
carl sagan reincarnated as black

have no real problems 2bh
>>
Fantastic public speaker and discipline face, getting people interested in science. Piss-poor academic, virtually no contributions to the actual discipline, and even when he does he gets caught fabricating sources.
>>
that tweet about Trump was pretty based
>>
>>70549913
the truth is that many people that don't otherwise get exposed to any level of science use social media, and it's more interesting than downton abbey imho
>>
>>70548935

there will always be those kind of people, would rather they follow a science guy than any other kind of preacher guy
>>
>>70548449
I give him credit for being one of the few people willing to step into the media spotlight and translate modern scientific concepts into laymen terminology, which draws in the interest of younger students to those fields.

They're going to be launching a pretty sick high resolution, 360 degree telescope into orbit and they're going to need lots and lots of people willing to sit down and analyze the data.
>>
Needs to stfu about shit he has no clue about, like politics.

Otherwise, I like him. He's no Satan, though
>>
he is a saussy tafft.
>>
>>70548796
>stop criticising a meme scientist because you're insecure
Yeah, that's the reason. Because i am insecure.
>>
>>70550499
are we talking about james webb
>>
>>70550569
Ummm... meant Sagan, but yeah Satan works
>>
>>70548796
>He's a great pop scientist
>Pop scientist
There's the problem. I don't care that he is black.
>>
>>70550369

Their interest is treasured, of course. We need more women, children and LGBT 'people' on our side.
>>
>>70548449
he seems like a friendly guy and an enthusiast for cosmology and space who likes to explain things to layman audience
on the negative side, he is an atheist, and a fairly obnoxious one

it balances itself out and he's just some guy not noteworthy
>>
>>70548449
Based black sience man whom reddit hate so even more based.
>>
>>70550808
Science isn't a cult. It shouldn't be accessible to only few.
>>
>>70550743
sagan had some poor debate performances regarding the space nuke discussions in the early 80's. i think he honed his message over time, but i never thought he hit it home unless you were already leaning towards his side to begin

otherwise, he used poetry and visuals to create something very cool
>>
>>70548449
Meme scientist. Only popular because he's black.
And pretty retarded with his pop-science explanations of GMOs and anything else basically.
>>
>>70550808
He contributes more to the field by showing up on Colbert and cameoing in Big Bang Theory and doing his publicity campaign. Him and his friends are raking in millions for other researchers to concentrate on their work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI
>>
>>70550680
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_%28spacecraft%29

I don't know exactly where or why I said "360 degrees", but yeah...

The window is getting bigger by a few magnitudes and the data collected will be very rich. We should be able to start narrowing down proposals to what dark matter/energy are.
>>
>>70548449
Physicist here. I like that he gets people excited about science. That's what pop scientists do, but I have two problems.

1) People who watch one episode of Cosmos or Through the Wormhole or follow IFLS or whatever tend to think they are just as qualified to talk about science as I am. They believe every crackpot theory or clickbait article that rolls onto their news feed.

2) He's impossible in a debate. Have you ever seen him discuss science in a civil manner where he doesn't march all over everyone else present? Christ, I've seen him blow up on other scientists who agree with him just to steal the stage.
>>
>>70550917
i personally think that primary education should be rock solid, and secondary should be elective; i'd far prefer to have been able to pick history, some sciences, maths over fucking grammar. fuck high school in america
>>
He is okay. I have also noticed that every black with glasses tends to be all right.
>>
he's alright

needs to fuck off with the sjw pandering and stick with what he knows
>>
>>70551265
>2) He's impossible in a debate
i agree that he interjects and gets loud, but he gets put back down if the panel is ready for that style of interaction. krauss is very good at this
>>
>>70548449
Let's be honest here, people mostly don't like him because of reddit. It's just a kneejerk reaction.
I mean I've seen people dissing Carl Sagan because he's le fedora autist's favorite scientist etc.
Anyone popularizing science and curiosity in kids is good in my opinion.
>>
File: black science man.jpg (50 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
black science man.jpg
50 KB, 500x285
>>70548449
hes a black man whos done something productive with his life, so most of the insecure neckbeards on here will hate him
>>
>>70551265
Well he is black, he can't really help it.
>>
Black science man make science seem as cool as it be. He cool.
>>
File: neilisretarded.png (33 KB, 819x745) Image search: [Google]
neilisretarded.png
33 KB, 819x745
>>70548449
Met him in person one time at a University lecture series. Asked him about some philosophical stuff being a philosophy major, he told me critical thinking comes with time not teaching. Said formal logic shouldn't be taught to grades schoolers that route math was good enough. Honestly came off as fucking retarded.

Attached is the email I sent to him and response I received afterwards because I couldn't believe he was that dumb. He decided to double down on it.
>>
something maybe not said yet; he's a symbol and a role model for at least 1 black kid. and 1 more black kid that rejects bullshit thug life is a net win
>>
>>70551290
I agree, but a lot of people don't know what they want to do with their lives in high-school. Regardless of that, we definitely should be pushing toward more career and interest based education, as opposed to just the hyper-generalized shit that we see in schools today
>>
Philosophy is a hobby, not a career.
>>
File: Token_Black.png (998 KB, 707x1013) Image search: [Google]
Token_Black.png
998 KB, 707x1013
He is pic related
>>
>>70548449
He's a nigger.
>>
>>70548935
>A lot of my friends are career academics or aerospace engineers, and they hate the whole science pop-star image and how he tries to brand everything with his "science is totally radical" image

I hope your friends realize NDT and his pop-sci shit are doing more for their profession than anything they'll ever accomplish.
>>
>>70552051

>science
>hunches

>NDGT
>retarded

>that letter

itty bitty number/10
>>
>>70552051
Makes sense desu. Stop blaming your poor intelligence on a poor edjcation
>>
>making money off fedora tips
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 258x245
>>70548796
>pop
>scientist
>>
File: uglynigger.jpg (192 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
uglynigger.jpg
192 KB, 800x800
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 583x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 583x400
>>
>>70552388
I'm just saying the man doesn't come off as some super smart uber-scientist that people make him out to be. He doesn't seem that intelligent in person. He ranks less than an average college physics professor in intellect and understanding imo.
>>
>>70552161
Some of the happiest people are those who make their hobbies into careers.
>>
>>70552137
>a lot of people don't know what they want to do with their lives in high-school

yes true, but there should be choice to make somewhere. as in- do you want to continue with this schedule we've assigned you, or would you like to dive into something more specific with your (critical) time in highschool
>>
>>70552161
Philosophy is a way of understanding, it forms other branches of knowledge once a philosophical question becomes answerable.
>>
>>70552364
I keep telling them.

I'm a farmer though so what do I know. According to Interstellar I'm backwards trash.
>>
>>70552051
This hurts to read.
>>
>>70552871
good example of where each side plays a part is the definition of "nothing"
ask a philosopher, general scientist, cosmologist, theoretical physicist, and you'll get different answers from all
>>
>>70552709

what makes you think so?
>>
>>70549277
you got a link?
>>
>>70548449
Who's against this guy?

He's fine on his pop-sciene PBS docs. I've listened to some of his podcasts will Bill Nye, where he's definitely the voice of reason (Nye is kinda' a kook). Plus his voice is plus plain comfy.
>>
>>70551290
I don't understand, you don't have different high-schools in America?
Here you have gymnasium, economics, machinery, electrician and shit like that. Before gymnasium had two choices (natural sciences and general), but now it's just general.
>>
>>70552934
When is it ever implied in Interstellar that farmers are backwards trash? A goddamn farmer piloted a spaceship.
>>
File: 1457482819762.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457482819762.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>70550808
>getting people excited about science
>bad
>>
>>70553070
Was really disheartening to be honest. I looked up to him as I did Sagan and people like Tycho Brahe but he is just a scientific charlatan.

Nothing like meeting famous people and having that kill your view of them.
>>
>>70553347
some places do, but they are exceptions to the rule. majority use a "core curriculum"
>>
>>70553122
Hard to actually describe, just one of those things that when you meet someone you get to judge them in person rather than through the pop culture lens.
>>
>>70553347
America high schools are pretty much all gesamtchules.
>>
>>70548449
He's had the most positive impact on public perception of science since Carl Sagan. Even if it is severely dumbed down and made fun, it still gets people interested and talking about new and exciting stuff.
>>
>>70551290
grammar is important.
>>
File: 4lWcfXv.png (175 KB, 640x590) Image search: [Google]
4lWcfXv.png
175 KB, 640x590
hes right sometimes
>>
>>70548449
Some nigger with a telescope that thinks he's smart.
>>
>>70553383
Interstellar Man himself thought that farming was a bullshit job and was deeply disappointed that his son wanted to do it.

Said son became a violent asshole who was perfectly happy to doom his family to respiratory failure or starvation. Also all those lines about dirt and despair.
>>
Are people seriously shit-talking this guy because he's not making nobel-winning astrophysics breakthroughs all the time???

Seriously, how many people in science actually make real discoveries these days? And I bet 90% of them are stuttering autists.

There's definitely a place for someone who's a great teacher (as opposed to researcher). Name a white guy going who's better at explaining this stuff: I'm a pretty big doc' nerd, and there's really nobody close to Tyson these days when it comes to making space-shit somewhat interesting (and it's been tried many times with many other mostly white guys; they just don't have the charisma or connection)
>>
>>70553122
Also it's been 6 years so I don't remember the conversation in full. I talked to him for about 5-6 minutes. I just remember asking him questions about general philosophy and him being dismissive of critical thinking, logic and reasoning; all good traits a scientist should have.

I was there with my astrophysics professor and some of the students. We were invited to talk and hang out with him for a bit after his lecture.
>>
>>70553612
>Bi-polar
Kek
>>
>>70548449
He is shit along with all the other celebrity scientists.
>>
>>70553583
yes, but how many school hours is enough? this period in someone's life is finite and irreplaceable. grammar does not require that heavy, 12 year investment for 100% of students. not even close.
>>
>>70553820
>Name a white guy going who's better at explaining this stuff
Are you serious?
Sagan? Bill Nye?
>>
>>70553903
I've heard/seen quite a bit of spontaneous unscripted Tyson on podcasts, live shows, etc. (he doesn't seem to shy from this stuff). Really never failed to impress me with unwavering application of logic.
>>
>>70548449
aspergers/10
>>
>>70549547

>we'd all be happier as hunter-gatherers
>we'd all be happier with a child mortality rate of 50%
>>
>>70554253
bill nye is actually kind of shitty in the format tyson is known for. i can't recall nye in any discussion where he doesn't stumble into a statement. his shows were produced, rehearsed... i hope you get that point
>>
>>70549035
>open borders

it's a shame, i liked this guy. turns out every other known motherfucker in the US is pro every liberal bullshit that is promoted by the globalists.
>>
>>70553903
The actual scientific process is mostly one of obsessively massaging data and variables until they fit into your project or until you give up. Modern science isn't brilliant men in tweed suits piecing together whole ideas over decades, it's a thousand grad students all acting like human computers until enough computer models have been tried and failed and a best solution comes out of it.

Most scientists I know are either borderline autistic or grow to hate the entire industry before long. Sagan is lucky that he can be a generalist and just talk about science in the abstract, rather than spending hours in front of a computer trying to figure out why his silica particulate won't insulate against electricity correctly.
>>
>>70548449
affirmative action scientist.
>>
>>70552051
He's entirely right, he even told you why very straightforwardly.
>>
File: Black Scienceguy Bikes.jpg (44 KB, 474x313) Image search: [Google]
Black Scienceguy Bikes.jpg
44 KB, 474x313
>>70548449

Selected by Jews as their token nigger.
>>
>>70552388
I guess having two Bachelors, one in Astronomy the other in Philosophy and now being a grad student makes my opinion unwarranted fampai.
>>
He fucked Sagan's wife.
>>
>>70554253
Bill Nye is really prone to exaggeration, and can be really temperamental. He comes off well in a full scripted format (like his show), but not so well when he's just free-wheeling. Tyson is much more measured and considered, which is a necessity in the Twitter age.

Sagan is dead. And a stonebag.
>>
I like him, only complaint is that he is a >leedgyatheist. Why is he going out of his way to offend religious people and push atheism. Let people believe what they want.
>>
>>70554354

You're thinking about it with a modern perspective. Life and death would have been radically different to premodern, animistic humans.

The only absolute positive I really see in the modern west over nomadic tribal humans is that we've mostly eliminated intestinal parasites, and that's only in the last couple hundred years.
>>
>>70548449
Look up how many papers he's published and compare it to his Twitter follower count.
Next look at any scientist who's published recently and compare it to his follower count.
>>
>>70554733
...basically, Nye would be a fun guy to argue with, but Tyson is much better at civil conversation.
>>
>>70554688
astrophilosopher's take on the universe: it is big
that was worth 100k+
>>
man of the people.
>>
>>70554688
>>70554688
Why do you have two bachelors?
>>
File: main_1200.jpg (141 KB, 1200x871) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
141 KB, 1200x871
>>70554863
>let people believe what they want
>>
>>70554330
It's just my opinion of him as op requested. I'm sure I'm biased and that he could be in many peoples views a thoroughly intelligent and logical man of science. I just didn't get that impression.
>>
>>70549035
It's not so much that he said something good about Trump it's that he said something bad about this insane marxist commies that genuinely want to censor free speech.
>>
>>70554494
This is why I chose to go into the graduate Philosophy program and not the physics or astronomy program.
>>
>>70554863
are you talking about tyson? that's actually not true, he explicitly states that he doesn't make public those beliefs because he doesn't want people to presuppose his positions.
>>
>>70555174
I just get to criticize and grade an unrelenting supply of "I'm now in college therefore I'm smarter than everyone" undergrads. It is a pleasureful task.
>>
>>70554998
POO IN LOO
>>
>>70548449
he is a fraud funded to mislead people. He is not a scientist of any worth and had never accomplished anything in his own research. Basically, dindu nothing
>>
>>70555174
it's weird how the smartest people take the most useless degrees
>>
>>70555241
Right
>>
>>70554989
I got a minor in Astronomy while doing the Philosophy degree, became a NEET for a couple years and wanted to go back but didn't have the qualifications necessary for a grad program I wanted. Went back and got a second Bachelors in my minor and then got into grad school.
>>
>>70551265
>I like that he gets people excited about science.
Agreed
>People who watch one episode of Cosmos or Through the Wormhole or follow IFLS or whatever tend to think they are just as qualified to talk about science as I am. They believe every crackpot theory or clickbait article that rolls onto their news feed.
Yeah, I don't mind Tyson but I hate his typical fans. They think they know shit about science cause they read click bait articles, but they wouldn't know how to read a research paper at all. Fucking annoying social media drones who just want to have their egos stroked on Facebook even though they don't know shit and are fucking jobless.
>He's impossible in a debate. Have you ever seen him discuss science in a civil manner where he doesn't march all over everyone else present? Christ, I've seen him blow up on other scientists who agree with him just to steal the stage.
Dudes got a big ego which is kind of annoying but as long as he's not a fraud and doing good research/work I don't mind. Not sure if he is or not cause I don't follow him too much. He was an athlete in college so I think that's where this attitude comes from. To put it bluntly, he's basically a jock who knows just as much about the nerdy shit as the other scientists so he intimidates them a bit. Plus he's famous so when he's debating he has that air about him like "who the fuck is this guy speaking, everyone knows who I am, I'm gonna talk over you and what are you gonna do about it pussy?"
>>
>>70555446
it's no secret he loves newton. that shit gets brought up everytime he gets a mic. does nothing to refute my point
>>
File: Caaaaaaarl.jpg (64 KB, 646x536) Image search: [Google]
Caaaaaaarl.jpg
64 KB, 646x536
>>70548935
>The science industry needs a popularizer, though, and he's less objectionable than he could be. The whole "I fucking love science" crowd always reminded me of the science proselytizers from Foundation who just went around making people comfortable so they wouldn't go around smashing computer servers and burning libraries.

Earth needs second coming of Carl. NDT seems himself as new, black Sagan, but it's faaar not the same. They are not in the same league.

I have to say throught, that NDG at least works making some people, that would otherwise be scientifically illiterate, interested in the matter. And that's better then nothing.
>>
>>70555446
>A FUCKING LEAF
>>
>>70555444
This is probably a function of selection. Most physics and philosophy students don't study to be lawyers in undergrad, but pretty much every prelaw and criminal justice student does.
>>
>>70555446
Darwin > Newton

Fight me.
>>
>>70555509
Don't use your education as authority that shows you're smart. The education system is garbage.
>>
>>70554908
I didn't do it for the money and yes I'm over 100k in loans right now. I'm in a grad program on a path to (hopefully) PhD and teaching, if not I'm just going to finish grad school and go into law or something.
>>
>>70548449

Mixed race science guy.
>>
>>70555446
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4qeuvbi-0
>>
>>70555709
Huh? Shouldn't "prelaw" students do well then, since they know they'll be taking the LSAT?

If anything it probably under-represents other departments, since if you were a super hot-shot physicist or economists or whatever you wouldn't bother with a law degree.
>>
File: 03.jpg (27 KB, 320x215) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
27 KB, 320x215
>>70555322
>>70555174

If you want to be an academic, I guess that's the way to go.

I just need labor. College was torture for me, I need to be sweating at the end of the day. Shit, I'm joining the army right now, I don't know why I still think about science at all anymore. I think a lot about how much I hate thinking.
>>
>>70555799
i was just teasing good for you to pursue something at all
>>
>>70555444
It's funny you mention this, I seem to get into the best debates with people who studied Economics or History. They tend to be politically right while also having a thorough understanding of historical materialism and Marx. Great bantz.
>>
>>70548449
>What is pol opinion of neil degrasse tyson?
>Annoying black cunt
>Points out the obvious then pats himself on the back
>White science cucks drool over him because they finally have a nigger they can relate to
>>
>>70555878
Seriously, how could anyone dislike this guy???
>>
>>70555625
I just gave you an example of him purposely inciting christians and proclaiming his atheism. Whyis americuck education so fucking trash
>>
>>70556002
hey, let me assume you are 18 and give some general insight, having been through the military myself and with a strong interest in all things science.

if you want to stay in after your first enlistment, get your degree, go officer, and push hard a certain type of military career. many (many) outstanding scientists spent their entire careers in the military. it's the ones that never tried that will never know. you might get out and go to school and wonder what if. make that choice before you reenlist or get out
>>
>>70556249
>>70555878
holy shit, literally a leafposter
>>
>>70555777
>The education system is garbage.

I assume you have never had any post-secondary education if that is your opinion, or you did and were one of those people who couldn't make it past the general education requirements because "Why do I need to learn English again lol!"
>>
>>70552051
He's right though.
>>
>>70548449
Dickhead who stole the discovery of Pluto from a very smart man with a limited education. My guess is the black dude wishes that he had discovered a planet with all his PhD knowledge, but he didn't.
>>
Smug pop-figure that has never contributed anything to the actual field of science. In short, the complete opposite of Carl Sagan.
>>
>>70556651
plutoids have a very strong set of defining features. all he did was highlight pluto's new classification in that set of orbiting bodies
>>
>>70556130
For bar bantz people who did economics/IR/history I find the best since they're the most well-rounded: they understand the humanities, while having a grounded foot in the quantitative and practical.

Pure humanities people seems to lack that intuitive 'rubber-hits-the-road' perspective of what-work-works, while pure STEM people are often have an alarming void of knowledge when it comes to literally anything outside of their narrow field.
>>
>>70556600
He may well be, I just disagree with him and the way in the conversation I had with him went gave me a totally different outlook on the guy.

I don't think he is a bad scientist or public figure, infact I think what he does is good for the most part. I just think the popular view of him as a 'top scientist' or the top modern authority on Astronomy is way overblown.
>>
>>70556537
He says he's agnostic and doesn't care about religion yet posts anti-religious tweets. I always see tweets and quotes by him used by edgy atheists, so it doesn't matter if he says he is agnostic if the next day he posts anti religious shit.
>>
>>70556410
Already graduated. Being an officer for a while just seemed like a good way to spend a decade or so until I get myself sorted out all the way.
>>
>>70557177
I don't have Twitter, but "agnostic" is a weasel word: find an "atheist" who isn't technically an "agnostic".

In either case, how doesn't it square that they'd ridicule arbitrary religious beliefs? Whether you're "sure" god exists or now, making specific claims about 'his' nature with no actually proof is equally ridiculous.
>>
>>70548449
He's quite a cool guy. Of course, not Carl Sagan-tier and a bit on SJW side, but still OK.
>>
>>70557174
I agree(with both statements), people view him as that, but He's even said it on his own show that he IS, taught and trained in astrophysics. and that hes not at the forefront of discovery, instead he runs the planetarium, and his own show, to educate and get the public interested in science which is pretty important imo.
he's definitely not Carl Sagan but, hes doing alright.

>>70557177

nigga said he aint got no time to do the atheist battle, so he says he is agnostic, the only thing He really cares about its keeping, god, out of science.
>>
>>70557580
A lot of atheists loudly proclaim to know there is no God. Agnostic at this point mostly means 'I don't like to talk about it'.
>>
>>70548449
Pretty based, he should host jeopardy when trebec dies
>>
>>70557152
I find this to be the case as well. Most people in the Philosophy dept. at my school are super literal autistics and the people in the physics department are extremely narrow in intellect and are not 'wise'.

I'm kind of a black sheep as I'm a total normie that will debate with both sides drunk and have people from either field criticize my rampant degenerate lifestyle instead of my arguments. They end up like having me around though because I make it interesting.

Debating with anyone in the math department makes me want to straight up murder people. Those people are the fucking worst.
>>
>>70557742
Deism is the only logical conclusion.
>>
File: 4L_vmcmek8G.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
4L_vmcmek8G.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>70548449
He's a giant tool riding on the coat tails of better men like Sagan. Kaku is better but is melanin challenged so don't get as much press.
>>
>>70557177
edgy atheists isn't a world body he controls, you'd rather him reject their assertions and change his statements to accommodate your own (wrong) perceptions? that sounds awfully dickless
>>
>>70557923
>Michio Kaku
>Michio Kaku (/ˈmiːtʃioʊ ˈkɑːkuː/; born January 24, 1947) is a Japanese-American futurist...
>futurist
>FUTURIST
KNOPE
>>
>>70557174
>I don't think he is a bad scientist or public figure, infact I think what he does is good for the most part. I just think the popular view of him as a 'top scientist' or the top modern authority on Astronomy is way overblown.

I don't think "Top Scientist" is something he has been trying to cultivate. I think it is kind of thrust upon him because he is one of the most visible. As far as what he does I think it is spectrographic analysis and I've never heard him claim is is "the leading" or "one of the leading" people in his field.
>>
>>70557897
>Deism
What I meant was Pantheism, but then again Deism could be considered a Pantheistic view.
>>
>>70557897
clockmaker is not a bad position. the enlightenment birthed the philosophy, logically tying natural law with creation. it is agnostic in the sense that it tries to account for what is not observable
>>
We were a small college club with around 10 members and on a whim one of our members emailed tyson's agent to see if we could book him. We found out it would cost 40k (it raised to 50k in December of that year where I think it still might be) for his speaking fee plus expenses to have him come to our college for 1 day where he'd host a small lecture, a press meeting, dinner with up to 6 people, and the main lecture and a book signing time permitting. We decided to go for it, and spent a year where our club exclusively worked on bringing him in.

When he arrived, myself and others introduced ourselves and our fields of study. He went after first of us in humanities or soft sciences pretty much relentlessly from the get go. We're all used to the philosophy major working at McDonald's joke, but he wasn't trying to be funny, and spent the ride from the airport making repeated comments about the uselessness of our majors. Additionally he spent about 5 minutes trying to show that logic was stupid but he was citing logical rules and Occam's razor.

The small lecture was him bragging about how famous he was, and how easy it is to pull yourself out of poverty or etc. The dinner was for leaders of other clubs so helped us raise money. He took the piss out of how one student held her fork, and was impossibly smug when giving advice to physics students.
The main event was a terribly boring lecture consisting of fart jokes and fan service; teasing the upcoming TV series he was in and not much else. He spent a quarter of the time reading Sagan's blue dot, which is nice but shouldn't have cost us because it wasn't his material.

He left at about 2am, and we were all exhausted because we had spent the day busy setting up and tearing down. The whole affair cost nearly 85k. The additional money being for locations, personnel, air fare, Tyson's hotel, catering, etc.
We all decided he was an ass hole. I'd never want to spend 16 hours with a celebrity again.
>>
>>70558411
I don't think it is him giving off the impression, it is just the way the public, misguidedly or not, thinks of him.

I think I was caught up in this idea of him being a Sagan like figure for a long time until I actually talked to him and looked more into him.

This probably had more to do with being ignorant and enjoying astronomy as a hobby until I went and studied it academically.
>>
the whole "I fucking love science" crowd needs to drop dead.
>>70549035
I think it's more bashing the idiots that call Trump a nazi.
>>
>>70558563
How useful is a degree in astrophysics / physics outside of academia? Maybe I don't know and Google is trying to put a man of Alpha Centauri, but I doubt it.
>>
>>70558563
sounds like those faggots spent 85k to get verbally raped

further proof that tyson is a baller
>>
He is only popular because he is black and has a phd. Plenty of morebqualified people.
>>
>>70558521

The whole neo-atheist ideology strikes me as anti-intellectual for this very reason. They are concluding beyond a reasonable doubt the absence of that which is seemingly absent itself.

Just doing some formal logic shows that this position is unsound, just because you have been able to show nth ways in which the set does not function, does not preclude that the set does in fact have a solution or is functionable.
>>
>>70548449
As long as he keeps going on about how Isaac Newton is his favorite person yet does not focus on the free fall collapse of the twin towers and building 7, he keeps utterly discrediting himself publicly at every turn.
>>
Sagan would have never associated himself with this smug celebrity nigger, and that says a lot.
>>
He's mildly autistic/spergy which leads to him saying some stupid shit occasionally, but at least he's not a narcissistic douchebag like literally all the other "science guys"
>>
Loser trying to be famous.
>>
>>70558563
>Liberals inviting celebrities to teach them about science
>Liberals failing at money management
I'm shocked
>>
>>70558563
This is exactly my first hand experience as well when he came to my Uni for our lecture series and our Astrophysics professor got our class access to him for an hour or so for some personal time. The way in which he demeaned fields of knowledge that I think he himself had not much familiarity with came off as unintellectual and arrogant. He couldn't even argue about what I asked him personally, he just gave an opinion that sounded childish.
>>
>>70557923
Kaku is annoying af. The best science popularizer of today is probably Jim Al-Khalili. Watch the series he made for BBC. God tier.
>>
>>70548796
>pop scientist
fucking kek there's your problem
>>
>>70548449
barely finished doctorate, even then only because he was black. Now he talks to people instead of doing science.

Only atheists are dumb enough to care about what he says.
>>
>>70559179
No shit. When is the last time you heard of a black guy with a PhD?
>>
>>70551074
NDT makes fun of the character for not publishing a paper since the 80s. he hasn't published a paper since the 80s. Top fucking kek.
>>
He's an inspiration for niggers to act like people which is admirable I guess. His contributions to science are pretty much nil.
>>
>>70559199
i agree. the absence of evidence...

personally, even if negative quantum fields can spontaneously birth matter and maintain zero net energy, we still will never account for that set of laws, and so on until we reach the boundaries of our understanding again. for arguments sake and to be silly with it, aliens, no matter how old, billions of years into their sciences- they will still have another question at the end, and that question will always have a solution set that includes "maybe god did it"
>>
>>70548449
>worse than Sagan in every way
>outside of pop science no actual work done - again worse than Sagan
>try hard to be Sagan fail miserably.
>edgelord personality, rude think when he start talking loud and cut someone he is smart. No just rude. Dawkins is edgelord too but he destroy idiots in very satisfying way.
>killed Pluto with bullshit explanation, made so he can keep the 8 planet model. Eveyone with half a brain know that undisputed planets are only the 4 gas giants, if Venus or Mars or Earth were after the asteroid belt they will be no planets - completely bullshit, just make 16 or 17 planet model, i don't care most kids wont remember them in school, average Tyron wont remember them anyway.
>>
>>70559915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TPNcXxiK0
>>
>>70559753
You don't need to be a good scientist to be a good popularizer and vice versa. Quite contrary - I think it's rare to be both at the same time.
>>
>>70558921
Could get a job in a number of industries that have to deal with orbital mechanics, effects of gravity, telecommunications using your knowledge of spectra or even something in dealing with optics.
>>
>>70548449
great scientist but he's so cocky
>>
>>70559462
I find most people who study Philosophy to be extremely right wing.
>>
>>70560418
>17 planets
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>70558374

Read this. Its good for you and it was an inspiration for me as a middle-schooler. Awesome book.
>>
>>70561032
plutoids, and 17 or whatever number (perhaps 50+) we can't call everything a planet that happens to circle the sun. some degree of classification was needed, and so we have created pluto nazi's.
>>
>>70560824
Philosophy is the ultimate red-pill area of study academically anymore. Along with maybe Economics and I'd say an even split with academic Historians.

The typical liberal humanities meme academic areas are probably Anthropology, Social Sciences, Education, Communications, International Studies, any academic field relating to 'Identity' like African Studies or Gender Studies and probably Environmental Sciences too.
>>
>>70548449
Science needs to be popularized, he might not have done anything in terms of advancement but any effort to make the masses less dumb is a worthwhile one.
>>
>>70559299
>Sagan would never associate himself with NDT
But he did
>>
>>70561124
>reading tips
Not that guy, but check out Anathem by neal stephenson. It's the kind of book that really stays with you and greatly affects the things you think about (no matter whether the science in it is 100% correct or whatever)
>>
>>70557937
He constantly says anti-religious shit, I'm not going to undertake the labor of finding it for you, you're a big boy
>>70557580
>>70557730
Go back to r/atheism. Any person with normal mental faculties should be able to come to the conclusion that God is real.
>>
>>70553393
>getting a bunch of people excited about """""science"""""
>good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1nJC3lvFs

Neil knows what's up.

/pol/ is being hipster faggots by not liking him.
>>
>>70561342
Oh yes, that is what we need. More popular science and consensus!!! Nothing is more popular than consensus. It must be true if the majority laughs at the awkward scientist proposing something that has never been thought of or discovered before.
>>
>>70552051
>logic is over-rated
Stupidest thing I've ever read.
>on science
Oh well that makes sense, but there's never too much logic in a curriculum. Still math basically IS logic on it's purest form, so I can't disagree with him.

My problem with his statement is that people in general NEED to be more logic and less emotional, they are far too deep into "muh feelings" nowadays.
>>
File: 1439457364289.jpg (27 KB, 421x600) Image search: [Google]
1439457364289.jpg
27 KB, 421x600
>>70549948
UNDERRATED
>>
>>70561247
>>70561032
Then make 4 planets. They will clear any trajectory. What is the difference between Mercury and Pluto - only the orbit. Like I said - Mars will not be a planet if it was closer to Jupiter? What about Moon? After some time Moon will escape earth gravity if it go were Venus is will it be a planet? If it go near Mercury and it catch it and Mercury start orbiting Moon the Moon will be planet and Mercury will be its moon? Its bullshit clasification. Make solar system 4 planets and whatever number dwarf planets or make everything near the size of Mercury planet.
>>
>>70561766
>/pol/ is being hipster faggots by not liking him.
Very much this. Everyone knows he's not Carl Sagan, but Sagan was a massive influence on him as a child and he's living his childhood dream by following in his footsteps. Then again I doubt most people even know that about him.
>>
>>70561675
a big boy that doesn't use twitter to reinforce my ideals by following people i agree with (or don't)

nah jk i've never used twitter for anything literally.
>>
>>70561766
Until you personally meet him and hear how retarded he actually is in person I think the people being faggots are the trendy "I form my opinions through popular media" crowd.
>>
>>70562052
So you've personally met him?
>>
File: us-navy-ejection-seat--13544[1].jpg (886 KB, 840x840) Image search: [Google]
us-navy-ejection-seat--13544[1].jpg
886 KB, 840x840
good thread, time to go.
fuck you canada
>>
>>70548449

Pol hates all black people, even the non-degenerate ones for some reason.
>>
>>70555878
>godspeed
That sounds like it comes from Mercury/Hermes the god of speed.
>>
>>70562222
Yes.
>>70552051
>>70553903
>>70559585
ID's
>>
>>70562399
Just leave before you emberass yourself further, why are americucks so retarded
>>
>>70552051
>philosophy major
wew lad
>>
>>70563144
We lad indeed.
>>70554688
>>70555509
I guess you didn't see that I was with an astrophysics class as being the reason I got to meet him in person?

Anyway, Philosophy being apart of the libmeme useless humanity degree's needs to go.

>>70561300
>>
>>70563466
I went to an engineering school. When they called on the philosophy majors during graduation ceremony, the audience laughed.
>>
>>70563144
People just hate us cause they are blunt autistoretardists.
>>70555444
>>
>>70563625
Just shows the audience were full of dumb fucks. Don't see how this shows otherwise.
>>
>>70563625
Engineering students at my school are on the full spectrum level. Bunch of literal fedora tippers who couldn't even engineer a proper ten foot poll to touch a women with.

At least I get to fuck hot liberal humanities chicks while being red-pilled without them knowing.
>>
>>70563625
Also, who the fuck goes to an engineering school for Philosophy? Maybe they deserved to be laughed at.
>>
File: 1460248239525.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1460248239525.webm
2 MB, 640x360
Fucker has a STEM degree from Harvard and has a show on tv.

That's more accomplishment than all of 4chan users combined.
>>
>>70564557
As an engineer, I can definitely say that a philosophy degree is definitely more worthy than a typical environmental sciences degree. Also more practical is almost all cases than a physics degree. You never know when a Newton will pop up though.
>>
>>70565394
Maybe all the Mexican pol users.
>>
>>70548796
>Caught red-handed fabricating data to push an agenda
>Still blames 'racism' when asked about why he never completed his PhD from U of Tex.
>Tries to pass fedora-tier Godbashing as philosophy
>Said he was 'mentored' by Carl Sagan, yet the most anyone can ever find is a handful of letters
>Mocks ethics in science like an edgelord
>Calls himself a scientist, yet hasn't published anything noteworthy in years

He's another leftist media personality.
He's as much of a 'scientist' as Bill Maher is a 'political analyst'.
>>
>>70555771
Von Braun > Darwin

Fite me irl.
>>
>>70555045
Pretty much. It's so common for everyone to be taking shots at Trump that a person remaining neutral and objective seems like an endorsement.
Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.