[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Pol/grammers -- Programmers on /pol/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: cpp.jpg (20 KB, 360x193) Image search: [Google]
cpp.jpg
20 KB, 360x193
It seems like our field is getting cucked hard at the moment with an artificial push for more women and minorities to join so they can lower our salaries.
>>
This is probably the last generation of real programmers. In a few years if you're not only in the field your degree is as good as a Women's studies degree. I just hope I'm not too late senpai
>>
Studying IT here, haven't really seen anything of the sort. Not in Flanders anyway, they probably have 60% woman quotas in Wallonia already.
>>
>>70519085
they want to send all the technical jobs to india and leave the PM & BA jobs here
>>
>>70519085
I want to become a programmer. Is there a list of what it takes in terms on knowledge and experience?
>>
>>70519341
Not as common now, they tried it and got fucked for it, because they had to pay actual people to redo all the poo work.
>>
>>70519361
Mostly autism.
>>
Nothing of the sort is happening here, yet.
There are some attempts though, but they are rebuffed and not taken seriously. The company I've worked for and many others openly name meritocracy as a core value.
>>
>>70519085
Really sad to see, they'll regret it don't worry.
>>70519433
oy vey
>>
File: MTE4MDAzNDEwMDU4NTc3NDIy.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE4MDAzNDEwMDU4NTc3NDIy.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>70519085
>mfw 10 years from now /pol/ is full of people saying that STEM is for niggers and women and true white men major in women's studies
>>
>>70519361
Patience.

>>70519425
But yeah this an alternative if you have an obsessive personality.
>>
>>70519085
It's not like managers were listening sjw more than listening to the customers.
They pay for the competences, the results.

If you follow some "values", you just get bad results and get kicked out.
>>
>>70519361
It is a diverse field so you can apply computing to anything. Just find that thing you like to do program for. From a language perspective there is low to high which means that if you write in a high level language you dont need to be really good at math, so if you suck it wont be a big deal.
>>
>>70519085
Isn't that happening in every field
everywhere
in every aspect of society
?
>>
>>70519085
What you're seeing is the equivalent of ITT Tech Institutes. These programming bootcamps target women and minorities and the most they can really do is manipulate strings and solve simple math problems.

Most of them will probably give up when it comes to the concept of databases and algorithms.
>>
>>70519739
But I've got mine and I am insecure and selfish...dont want to share
>>
>>70519552
Fucking kek. Concerning that /pol/ always pisses against the wind, that scenario is not even that far from reality.
But I rather think they'll just say education is for women and niggers and true white men should just move into the woods and live in shacks.
>>
>>70519841
Brogrammer
>>
File: 1458251140636.jpg (125 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1458251140636.jpg
125 KB, 600x900
>>70519085
>>70519247
>women and minorities become "programmers"
>spread horrendous technical debt wherever they go
>salaries for actual programmers increase
How is this a bad thing, family? You really think Shuhmeeka and JayQuan are going to be writing anything useful, much less critical? They'll essentially be building Ikea bookshelves and calling themselves carpenters.

There are going to be languages so abstracted (read: slow, bloated, utter horseshit) that the syntax will probably look more like HTML than C. If you're two steps above "fucking retarded", it's gonna be a gravy train.
>>
File: 1459264843958.jpg (20 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1459264843958.jpg
20 KB, 320x320
Nobody needs software developers in Germany

All they want are web designers with cms skills for browser land
>>
>>70519085
You either can code, or you can't. A good coder will always make a good amount of money. Will companies really sabotage themselves by hiring sub-par coders only because they're women or minorities?

Pic related - show me how many women have ever mastered C++.
>>
>>70520194
>pic related
>>
>>70519085
Those are not very dangerous since they won't get many people interested or who will stick it out. The big problem is importing unskilled indians en mass based on shitty or fake qualifications.
>>
CS student here- I'm fucked
>>
>>70519991
>There are going to be languages so abstracted (read: slow, bloated, utter horseshit)
Well, I guess it's true from what we're seeing with Java being the only thing they teach anymore.
>>
>>70520384
>hating on Java
hi there /g/
>>
>>70519085
I code day and night. I earn less than 11k in a European based multination company. I should get more salary.
>>
>stay out of shitty open source projects
>especially hosted in places like github
>code just for yourself
>stay 8 hours at work, while avoiding discussing things like feminism or SJWism like an autist would, while doing jackshit and getting your paycheck at the end of the month

Life can be easy, people just tend to fuck it up
>>
>>70520483

Fun fact: in French, object-oriented programming is called Programmation Orientée Object: POO.
>>
>>70520611
POO
IN
GNU
>>
>>70520611
kek this is true
>>
You can always become a sysadmin, IT departments have very few women mostly.
>>
>>70519361
You can either do it, or you can't. Learning how to program is essentially learning how to channel an ability you already have through a strict set of rules. If you like puzzles, you'll like programming.

That's for algorithmic programming, of course. A lot of what programmers do with existing APIs is no different from what builders do to build a house. Anyone can do it.
>>
>>70520410
Anyone with any decent aesthetic sense, when it comes to programming, hates Java.
Real, satisfying programming is about building abstractions of your choosing atop raw data, not instantiating a bean factory pattern dependency injector.
>>
>>70520410
>People should only learn one language, and that language should do all the heavy lifting for you
>A language should be so standardized across computers that higher end computers don't realize their full potential
>Semiphores are hard, let's just use monitors and call it a day
>Multiple class inheritance is too difficult to think about
>printf or cout<< or print is too easy, let's say System.out.print
>Also Main() is too simple too, what if it confuses people
>>
Considering all "eggselent programmerz xD" will mostly focus on frontend fields and can't do algorithms for shit, I couldn't really be less bothered
>>
>>70520323
I'm a CS student too and I'm confident that with a degree from my university I'll find a well-paid job.

>>70520125
If you have skills to be a software developer, then learning some CMS shit (or basically anything else CS/software related) should a piece of cake.
>>
>>70520759
no one forces you to use any beanfactories. you mistake using shitty libraries with actual coding.

>>70520767
>-t. c programmer
still working on your newest fizzbutt?
>>
>>70520759

You're building a straw man. You don't have to do retarded stuff in Java.

A lot of the stuff that makes the world run is written in Java.

Meanwhile, no one has ever done anything of value in Haskell beyond monad tutorials.
>>
>>70520767
being forced to study Java in college here after getting a taste of C++ in highschool:
yup.
Particularly fuck what they did to my precious cout, cin and main. Why do I need to fucking make a new scanner object just to take input? And why does it keep throwing memory leak warnings? And why can't any of my profs explain how to properly close it afterwards to stop the memory leak? is the whole world on crazy pills?
>>
>>70519085
Dunno, the only woman in my team is on her first job, and is already more efficient than some fucktards with a handful of years of experience.

Arabs are a mixed bag, so far I'ver had about 40% competent guy, 40% bullshitters and 20% atrocious liars and assholes.

The only black I've worked with is (very) slightly above average, but insanely hard to communicate with due to his horrible accent.

So no, if you work in industry, I'd say it's still alright.
>>
>>70519341
The only problem is that indians are fucking stupid.

Source: work with indian developers.
>>
I'm also sick and tired of all those WOMEN IN TECH events and all that shit.

Oh you know how to code? Good for you, just show the code on github or something but stop bragging like it's an accomplishment because you're a girl.

My attitude now: pretend I give a shit and look the other way, laughing in my mind. Those movements are useless and spending mental energy on it is a waste.
>>
>>70519085
Women are ruining it. And we can't say a godamn thing or we will lose our jobs. I'm a web dev and I fucking hate this.
>>
>>70520978
Your professors can't figure that out? Jesus. Just close the scanner when your done using it.
>>
>>70520911
He honestly has a good point when talking about semiphores and class inheritance ; hence why there are a thousand patterns to bypass those problems
>>
What language do you recommend to a guy who don't have a clue on programming? Just for hobby and trying to do nice things.
>>
>>70521022

Sometimes they're funny in how they take things literally, though.
>>
I'm not worried.

Most women won't be 1) willing, or 2) able to do the work to get the degree in the first place. After that they still have to be able to produce.

The job I have opened because a woman got fired. The place I work for will shitcan you if you can't or aren't doing the work.

The places you have to worry about are the companies who diversity hire and then have enough money to keep a bunch of shitbags on board to keep their quotas full. A real company will fire them either way.
>>
>being a code monkey
>assuming you have any value in that profession

L O L
>>
>>70521137
python or C#
>>
>>70521060
that made it throw an error when it tried to get any input
profs still had no explanation
>>
>>70521137

It depends what you're trying to achieve, really.

For a beginner you can't really go wrong with Python. You can do almost everything: scripting, simple video games, statistics, etc.
>>
>>70521076
multiple inheritance is with operator overloading the biggest cancer in c++. but no rather force such meme concepts on other languages for no apparent reason.

>>70520978
>I had 2 hours of [insert random programming language] at college and let me tell how shitty it is
>>
>>70519085
I'm pretty sure many minorities have looked into this for a while.
>>
>>70521137
What kind of nice things?

Python is a decent starting point to get into programming because it's easy to read/write
>>
>>70521022
This

It doesn't matter though

you can now write seriously shitty code that is super inefficient because today's tech can blow through code with no problem.

My main job was fixing what the indians couldn't.

Currently hopping into a real IT position for support to get my "experience" so I can get a position I want. No indians though. Wish me luck senpai.

>>70520978
google it senpai, guarantee someone has had your issue before. I wish I had learned C# and C++ first.
>>
File: cannotdefeat.jpg (11 KB, 217x296) Image search: [Google]
cannotdefeat.jpg
11 KB, 217x296
>>70519552

>Hillary Clinton wins 2 consecutive presidential elections
>Establishes matriarchy
>Revokes 2nd amendment
>Country goes to shit with women leading STEM fields and leading roles in companies
>Revokes 22nd amendment
>Men are now oppressed, so women's studies turns contrarian (Become the male version of current feminists)
>Year 2040
>/pol/ armed with womens studies degrees retake the country from the matriarch and cuck women back into the kitchen
>>
>>70521022
Most of the Indian engineers have sham qualifications and create more problems then they solve. Executives just like to feel like they are saving money even though it ends up wasting the time of real engineers. Indians from the upper classes can be pretty good though, but it seems they prefer to become doctors.
>>
>>70521151
This tbqh senpai. Though if you're smart you can make yourself invaluable by jewing them.
Security seems safer, especially govment
>>70521213
What kind of cuck school are you going to?
>>70521225
>operator overloading
>bad
Because I shouldn't be able to say Integer++ means Integer = Integer +1 if my machine overlord tells me I can't.
>>
Every time a JavaScript """Programmer""" talks to me like if it was on my level, I feel the need to reveal my power level.
And not just women, Js seems to attract the most effeminate of men.

I stay with c/c++/c#
I hate the java standard library, lang is ok and runtime is garbage.
>>
>>70519085

Can't program for shit, so I took the Network Administration path instead.
>>
>>70521363
yes because for every single person who does it right come 100 pasheed rashjeets who fuck it up. that's why it got cut. same goes for multiple inheritance.
>>
>>70519085

for (int i=0;i<life.size;i++)
{
if (bernie || hillary)
{
suicide();
}
}
>>
>>70520854
> If you have skills to be a software developer, then learning some CMS shit (or basically anything else CS/software related) should a piece of cake.

working with cms is pajeet tier
>>
>>70519841
>Most of them will probably give up when it comes to the concept of databases and algorithms.

Databases are the easiest fucking part of software engineering.

Poo in the loos can be great programmers for the price. We hire 6 for $5000~ per year, and they are about as good as people we'd have to pay $70k~ here.

PM for medical billing software.
>>
>>70520125
Are you a Teenager? I've built multiple software companies in Germany, all of them starving to find people that can do actual programming. We're trying EVERYTHING to find people and the salaries even for Juniors are on a steep rise. We're now in the process of importing South Americans and East Europeans because our own IT Education System shits out only Google-Level people or absolute shitheads. Nothing in between.
>>
>>70521022
this.

cto: let's save some money by outsourcing
...3 months later...
cto: why are we having all these production issues?

sigh.
>>
>>70521399
You mad cause we taking over, m8?
>>
>>70521399
> Js seems to attract the most effeminate of men.
Why is this true? I'm not saying it's not true, because it is, but what reason do you think makes it true.
>Know a JS programmer who always talks about it
>3' long hair
>literally got cucked and talks about it

>>70521508
>We should make programming as accessible to retards as possible
>Rashjeets fucking up is a bad thing even though it means more work, and fairly easy work, for actual programmers
>>
>>70521561
if you werent cucks this would have been cool
>>
>>70521561
Hire me senpai.
>>
>>70521609
>look how elitist I am writing fizzbutts in c
you are the cancer of g
>>
>>70520687
kek
underrated
>>
>>70521022
I remember my company closed down its Indian office after just two years because the hundreds of people there were less efficient than ten people back west.

Anyway, if you want to avoid outsourcing you should go for a Masters/PhD in a super-in-demand field. Basic codemonkey jobs are fucked.
>>
I programming in verilog & vhdl. Fortunately sjw don't know about this yet. I think we are safe for at least another 5 years
>>
>>70519387
>hey tried it and got fucked for it, because they had to pay actual people to redo

++

>>70520737
>You can either do it, or you can't.

++

>>70520231
Program terminated: Whoosh exception. (pic related was all the woman master programmers that exist)
>>
>>70521763

SJW don't care about hardware design because it's not a "sexy" field.

No one cares about this shit, or PLC programming or whatever.

But Hollywood made a movie about Facebook. Everyone uses Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. So SJWs want a part of that power. In particular, they want to control media technology so they can spread their ideology.
>>
>>70521515

What language is that?
>>
>>70521609
>We should make programming as accessible to retards as possible
When you work on a project with more than 10 people on it you'll learn to enjoy those limitations more than you'd expect.
Yes, if it's you and 2 other people and you are in charge you can write your entire project in Lisp, re-writing the entire language as you go along, and with a strict enough set of rules it'll even work.
Try that with even just one, much less a few, pajeet-tier people and you'll want to choke on a tailpipe within the first week.
>>
>>70520759
S-senpai, is it fun to program/code? I've always wanted to do it. Can I start by being self taught?
>>
>>70520194
> Will companies really sabotage themselves by hiring sub-par coders only because they're women or minorities?

They'll throw themselves infront of a train and get ground to dust for their Liberal/Jewish/Marxist gods.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemyatt/2015/11/20/marissa-mayer-case-study-in-poor-leadership/#7c551b4d3795
>>
>>70521865
c++ or could be c#

but .size is for vectors
>>
If I wanted to learn to program in Python what software should I download to get started? I wanted to make a program that reads tarot cards. Sort of like the game 'taboo' on nes but simpler.
>>
>>70521626
What is your Background and your own presumed Skill Level? Field of interest? We make Software that people use to make a living, not some degenerate marketing Bullshit that doesn't matter.
>>
>>70521763
>verilog & vhdl
The pain.
Why are hardware languages so verbose.
>>
>>70521700
I've literally been on /g/ once, looked at camera then left.
But what is the cancer is the kind of programmer that feels the need to have all his tools built for him already. He needs a special hammer for every single nail, because learning how to make hammers is too much work. Options, options that you don't even need to use, are too scary for you, so you use a language that people make workarounds to fix the shortcomings. You'd rather have java's dumb version of multiple inheritance than a simple effective method because you have to have your special two inheritance hammer
>>
>>70519085
>It seems like our field is getting cucked hard at the moment
It's just you. Nobody in Poland treats women serious. They struggle to learn Python but we let them have their "code meetings". We have to find wifes somewhere, ya?
>>
>>70521931

Download the community edition of this: https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/

And Python from python.org
>>
>more women and minoritues joining field is a bad thing

If you arent an entrepreneur you massive faggot
>>
Assembly is guaranteed to attract 0 SJW's...its too hard.
>>
>>70521922
Perhaps life is an object with a size member variable?
>>
File: 1432650848437.jpg (13 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
1432650848437.jpg
13 KB, 395x395
>>70521609
IMO it's because JS is so easy to learn and fuck up that anybody can "learn" it so it attracts a crowd of stupid people. Among those people are a lot of cucks and SJW who proclaim themselves as programmers because they merge branches on github saying they corrected typos in all the comments.

It's especially true for NodeJS ; not so long ago an issue was opened because the "suicide" keyword command was considered too triggering :^)

https:// github.com/nodejs/node/issues/3721
>>
>>70521211
>>70521223
>>70521299

Thanks bros. Will try puthon, I have found this http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ I like to learn things in the hard way.
>>
>>70522002

The market is too slow to let autists worry about the exact implementation. Our product turnaround time (using poo in loos and a few USA workers) is around 2 months from planning to finish.
>>
File: desu.png (431 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
desu.png
431 KB, 1600x1200
>>70522017

awesome thanks
>>
>>70521145

I've definitely noticed that, too. Never assume anything either. Half the time I used to just chalk it up to 'cultural misunderstanding' but sometimes I swear they we're fucking with me on purpose.
>>
>>70521922

Thanks, my only xp with codes are from looking through game files to edit certain things for 1337 hax. No idea about what the differences in programming languages are, so I was trying to figure out what I can understand naturally. Does learning C++/C# pay well?
>>
>>70522002

In the Real World where adults live, where you build products and stuff that schedules your planes, balances your bank account, trades your stocks and so on, you don't get the opportunity to rewrite your own TLS implementation or TCP/IP stack.

For most problems the language is rarely the limiting factor anyway.
>>
>>70519085
I only program in Ruby because it was designed by the superior Japanese mind. I would never use a programming language designed by Amerifats.
>>
>>70522002
more retarded elitist talk. languages are a tool and not the means to stroke your own dick on how masterful you use multiple inheritance and whatnot.
>>
File: oop.png (152 KB, 1948x858) Image search: [Google]
oop.png
152 KB, 1948x858
>interest in programming starts 10 years ago
>eventually become a competent programmer
>after some years, field is suddenly under siege from SJWs
>all you wanted to do was quietly write good software but now risk being demonized and doxed if you're dealing with the types of software popular with normalfags, especially games
JUST

>>70521223
Python's not particularly useful for learning because the learning material always, always glosses over teaching much about data structures and algorithms. And what is programming if not the employment of data structures and algorithms to solve problems?
>>
>>70521888
Yes and Yes

Pick a language e.g. Python is really easy to learn, Java is a bit less easy but has a lot more community support since it's a lot "bigger" language. You can learn in any language but those two are fairly good first choices. If you post asking for advice on what begginer language to use be aware it will start a flame war on what language is best.

Then read through a textbook on that language, do all the example exercises, and then choose something interesting as a project to be going on with. It doesn't have to be anything particularly cool or world-changing, but something with a decent project scope (for a beginner) e.g. a menu driven caesar cipher encryption/decryption tool (that was my first programming assignment at uni).

The main thing is to sit down and actually write some code, get some experience.
>>
>>70522017
>pycharm
Not Sublime Text or Ipython in any console.

Anyway, the guy should get Gnu/Linux and use it. Setting up a coding environment on Windows is a bitch for a noob.

Also, Python 3.x sucks
>>
>>70522034
>Assembly is hard
Assembly is quite easy. It's merely time-consuming and often for very minor gains.
Hence why we write stuff in C and use inline assembly and/or intrinsics instead.
>>
>>70521869
I don't mean to give the implication that standards are completely wrong, but if you can't understand something as simple as inheriting things, than maybe you shouldn't be programming, or at least not using that tool, seeing as how you can't get around it just like how Java does.
I don't even hate Java, it has it's uses, but the fact that its treated as the only language now is quite stupid. Even if all the projects you ever work on are just Java, you should have had at least a taste of not only other languages but other paradigms while in school
>>
>>70521950
What city?
>>
>>70522166
c++ pays well cos every game ever uses it but its also fairly difficult compared to c# which is quite easy.

I'm a bit of a noob myself at programming but i can make basic c# programs that use WPF lol
>>
>>70521978
Vhdl is strongly typed. You can be more wild with verilog.

The objective is to explicitly do b stuff rather than implicit.
>>
>>70522228

C# and C++ were designed by Europeans.
>>
>>70519085
Thinking of learning a coding language seriously. Doing it on CodeAcademy but that's only a brief outlook.

Suggestions for best ones to learn?

>>70521022
Pretty much. I've found that Indians tend to be shit coders and shit instructors. They can't explain things for shit.

>shit country
>shitting streets
>awful languages
>awful accents in English
>lazy
>slimy and perverted
>ugly

Do Indians have ANYTHING going for them except a moderately interesting religion and some ok food?
>>
>>70520719
>You can always become a sysadmin
You mean a Stack Overflow user?
>>
>>70519085
It's fine in Ukraine. I can do racist jokes and say nigger without consequence and we had goo laugh about EU niggergration.
>>
>>70522345
Don't talk to the weeb.
>>
>>70522177
This. A million times this. I'm so fucking fed up with these assholes that think it's a sign of Skill to only code on the Commandline, Setting up a buildpipeline that that uses 5 preprocessors and linters and what not only to then fuck up a simple merge or the synchronous usage of git submodules.

No you are not a skilled Programmer because your Code doesnt shit itself in your testcases.
>>
Most CS grads are shit gurgling retards. Not even counting women. How do we fix this?
>>
>>70520759
Some people program as a job, you know. Worrying about aesthetics is nice for your little pet project nobody will ever see or use.
>>
File: wow.gif (493 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
wow.gif
493 KB, 160x160
>>70522069
>the hard way
Shitty books the entire lot. Zed Shaw is a hack trying to make a quick buck.

Good Python books:
Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist.
Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python, Revised And Expanded Edition.

You can also get started by just hopping onto Code Academy. The most important thing to learn programming is easily coding a lot.
>>
>>70521950
Still studying and mostly interested in algorithm stuff. Runtime tests and so on. Not really a fan of software engineering. My own presumed skill level currently isn't very high but I at least believe that that can change pretty fast, don't really need to tie that to a language since languages are generally understood pretty fast (depending on how obscure they are). I have an 1.5 average grade at least. No work experience though.
I'm an uncut diamond trust me :^)
>>
>>70522348

Didn't they have ice cream with a picture of Hitler on?
>>
>>70522228
Ruby is the worst shit desu, I used it on commercial projects tho since Rails is faster.

To be honest, Europeans are the master mind of programming languages and IT autism on general.
>>
>>70522348
>Suggestions for best ones to learn?
Think of an application and try to fucking do it.
Use SuperUser and StackOverflow if you get stuck. Google/DDG/Bing/Yandex/Ixquick are your friends.
>>
>>70522177
Sure, but still, why not learn the basics of harder things. Learning these things will help you out even if you don't directly use them.
>>70522231
If I was stroking my dick I would complain how C has if statements, I just hate the kind of people who are too lazy to even try to expand their horizons the slightest.
>>
>>70522408
You hire Slavs who are the best coders and hackers. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>70522301
Game industry isn't that large and is notorious for burning people out. I wouldn't recommend choosing a language based on its popularity in the gaming industry unless one really wants to work in the game industry and likes nothing more than programming 60 hours a week. Of course you can sometimes find a company that has better conditions but its pretty rare.
>>
>>70522243
Can do
>>
File: 1450736753700.jpg (74 KB, 707x682) Image search: [Google]
1450736753700.jpg
74 KB, 707x682
>>70522509
here my ip: 127.0.0.1

haxxx me, faggit
>>
Anyone can learn how to code. But after that real work requires strong logical ability and knowledge of your program subject.
I'm sure most of the minorities will not be willing to actually use their brain to create difficult stuff.
>>
>>70522266

It's not about not understanding the actual programming concept, but the way people typically use it.

If you're ever worked on an actual project, it's been worked on by dozens of people, with different skill levels, some are not working here anymore, and so on.

With operator overloading, everyone expects a certain behavior when it comes to arithmetic operations (and even then, most people don't understand floating point operations), but once another programmer starts doing something clever with it, everything goes out the window.

In the real world you don't actually add or divide objects.
>>
Delphi/Object Pascal fag here.
I do not know a single female who is half decent at coding. I would be for a push of educated females to join our ranks.
Also about robots taking our jobs, there is always sys/network admin, hacking, and more advanced coding for us.
>>
>>70519085
There's less than 5% on my course. I'm studying in a >95% white area though. There's a lot of Chinese students, but they aren't on my course.
>>
>>70522397
This is Skill. Because most of development tools have a CLI as a primary interface.
git commit -a
>>
>>70522436
ROOKIE DETECTED
>>
>>70522341
I don't mind really, I just feel thatif you're going to rip off ADA you can at least make it as clean as the original.
>>
>>70522605
Exactly - who programs the robot?
>>
>>70522252
>Python 3.X sucks
Fucking python 2.X users
have fun programming in a dead language that's already EOL and won't be getting any updates at all (even security) past 2020

There's literally 0 reason to be writing python2 code these days unless it's bugfixing an existing program.

anytime I see someone talking about how 3.x sucks and 2.x is the best version of python I think of some elderly dude who insists on speaking church latin and then gets mad when no one knows what the fuck he's talking about

PLEASE move to a modern language
>>
>>70522509

I don't know why, but you're right.

Slav developers are top notch. Really good at fundamental stuff, algorithms, system programming, etc.
>>
>>70522586
I didn't say use overly dumb shit, I was talking about OO in general, the only example I used was ++,
>>
Only thing I'm a newb with is the QT library.
>>
OP is a faggot.

Frameworks have improved, programming is easier.

Unless you're in a good industry doing R&D; the programming required is easy.

I think the future of your standard book read dime a dozen programmer is management & business roles.

Even a shit programmer can do the job of 2 managers.
>>
>>70522509
What kind of compsci programs do slavs have?
>>
>>70522612
I suppose that majority of this scum is in the USA: MIT, Stanford and so on.
>>
>>70522408
>How do we fix this?
Educate them on the way things work in your company and throw them a couple of good books to work through on their own time.
>>
File: ech.png (30 KB, 1366x742) Image search: [Google]
ech.png
30 KB, 1366x742
>>70522559
fug
>>
File: fuggin_rekt.png (7 KB, 436x140) Image search: [Google]
fuggin_rekt.png
7 KB, 436x140
>>70522559
Gotcha!
>>
>>70522713
Well that and various encryption mehtods.
>>
>>70522045
My eyes hurt after reading this
>>
>>70519085
>push for more women and minorities to join so they can lower our salaries

They will actually create more work for everyone who really know his shit well.
>>
>>70522798

He's installed a firewall. Can you hack the Gibson?
>>
>>70519085
I can ship your job to India for a tenth what it costs me to pay you, then overwork some kids out of college to clean up what they send back on the promise that they may one day be management.

Why did you fall for the STEM meme?
>>
>>70521888
listen to what that other fag said, the best way to start imo is to have a project you want to complete so you are actually working towards some end goal (ie make a website that takes in the value of pizza sizes from two different places and the price, and see which is the better deal)

raspberry pi's are accessible to you and cheap if you need ideas for a project to start with.
>>
Are there any other famous, high-level programming tricks like the fast inverse square root that are very difficult to figure out by yourself and make you think "how the hell did they come up with that?"
>>
>>70522690
My whole University use python 2.X and will continue to do so. People who created the existing software in python 2.X are long dead. Nobody will rewrite every fucking tool to python 3.X just because some fucks wished to create a new language. If it works, don't fuck with it.
>>
File: 1425940411368.gif (2 MB, 294x233) Image search: [Google]
1425940411368.gif
2 MB, 294x233
>>70522045
Further proof that Github should never be used for anything but marketing yourself to prospective employers.
>>
>>70522881
Enjoy the shitty feedback when your program crashes after the user doesnt enter anything at the login screen.
>>
>>70522704
We actually give a fuck about theory. Westerners learn how to do shit but they don't understand why it works and how can they make it better. On Universities you sometimes have to write algorithms on paper. No Google and stuff like that. That makes you think.
>>
So now that github's been compromised, what are you guys using as an alternative?
>>
>>70522734
I imagine that is the case. Shame really.
>>70522045
>"I'm on replacing problematic terminology >gradually, with aliases. For the kill and suicide >terms, it seems to me like stop and stopped >actually makes more sense, especially across >language barriers. The master and worker >terminology could also be parent and child, >which seems a bit friendlier.

>Sadly, the whole unix process model is >overridden with terminology related to violence >and slavery..."

Dear god what the fuck did I just read
>>
>>70519085
I have no problem finding and keeping a job in software engineering. Then again, I don't whine about the SJW bogeyman like /pol/.
>>
>>70522709
Let me reiterate, if it's okay to say x.add() then x++ should probably be okay.
>>70523006
Compromised by what?
>>
>>70522881

That might work for simple systems.

But for the software controlling your plane, your trading system, your DBMS, your operating system and so on, that doesn't work, you need actual experts.
>>
>>70522683
Apparently ADA is sw. Whereas this v's are firmware
>>
I don't know why programmers resort to "appeal to lack of experience" so often.

>yeah well if you ever worked on a large project before with 1,000 indians
>yeah well call me when you've done more than fizzbuzz
>if you don't use inheritance wherever possible you're a total dilettante
>wow dude you criticized an aspect of a language i use??? enjoy your haskell, lol one on uses that

>>70522891
Quake 3's clipmodel algorithms are very odd but have a sort of insane, brutal logic behind them.

Unix's famous "you are not expected to understand this" section of the scheduler is another weird one, humorous but but not very interesting.
>>
>>70522727
>300+ million Slavs
>what programs do you have?
Can you be more specific?

I personally write software for Bioinformaticians in Python, C and Fortran.
>>
>>70519361
Math
>>
>>70522687
Moreover, I convinced that humans mustn't do monkey-tier work. The more stupid jobs will be acquired by AI, the more PhD will be in Math among human.
>>
>>70523039
our DBMS (MSSQL + our our proprietary one) is coded by poo in loos. You can get a temporary contract with a poo in loo for $50k that's easilly worth a $120k~ worker. You just need to get a decent contract agency and tell them you MUST have premium workers.
>>
>>70519361

Patience, math and logic
Logic especially
majority of programming is keeping track of a web of objects, thinking about how they interact and what they need to do
good programmers know how to make sure that web is neatly organised and not tangled
>>
>>70523194
Is Ruby a good first programming language to start with ?

How many years does it take from "basic programming knowledge" to "able to get freelance gigs" with Ruby/Rails ?
>>
Also studying I.T i decided to focus on networks its a mans job and they are no faggots or women in this particular field
>>
>>70523031

When I do x++, code I've written thousands of times in many languages in many years I expect a very particular type of behavior.

If you screw up and throw exceptions, add other side effects or what the fuck ever in the implementation of your operator, then you've destroyed any trust I can have in that concept, forever.

It takes one idiot to add one log statement to make me distrust that concept. When I do x++ I know what to expect. When I do x.foo() I know I should expect anything.
>>
>>70523004
>On Universities you sometimes have to write algorithms on paper. No Google and stuff like that.
That's the case here as well.
The basic Algorithms class exam I took a couple of years ago gives you problems that you are then required to write your own algorithm for (in text or pseudocode) following a particular design paradigm like divide-and-conquer, greedy algorithms and similar.
I don't think a single CS class actually allowed anything more than pen, paper and occasionally a calculator on the exams.
>>
>>70522043
java
>>
>>70522734

My CS program is 95% Chinese in a class of 200ish? TBF, if you include the people on sandwich year placements, it goes down to maybe 90%
>>
>>70519085
>implying programmers salaries are low because of minorities and not because mathematicians do your job better
>>
>>70523277
>not liking your ++ operator to send launch codes to Pakistan

>>70523248
No, it isn't.
>>
SERIOUS POST for /pol/acks programmers

How would you go about transitioning from software engineer to product manager?

I love coding but I want to move to a different job, and I know myself, product management is perfect for me. I already started a startup so I guess I have kind of a fit background, I have a MS in CS.

Product management at Google would be my dream job. How do I go for it?
>>
>>70522045
Just suicide me senpai
>>70523277
>When I do x.foo() I know I should expect anything.
Fair enough, that's a pretty good point.
>>
>>70523248

I've never used ruby and have no idea how it works so I can't really say
I learnt with java, then moved onto C# and C++
>>
File: LXTerminal_023.png (24 KB, 1366x742) Image search: [Google]
LXTerminal_023.png
24 KB, 1366x742
>>70522853
He's smarter than I thought.
>>
>>70523338

Social skills
proven experience in the field and the ability to manage people
>>
>>70523338
Look at the qualifications posted for the job and work towards them.
>>
Divide and conquer is the basis of an entire set of algorithms did you write them all down or do you just not know?
>>
Who /Sysadmin/ masterrace here?
>>
what does a contemporary programmer have to know about unix and windows architecture?
>>
>>70522551
If you know C++, you know everything.
>>
>>70522964
>caring about user feedback
>in this our current year
I'll sell as much as I can and the users will move on in a year regardless of the quality. Flappy Birds got popular, the users are morons who will buy anything. All I care about is making money.
>>70523039
You think that matters. In this our current year.
>>
>>70523323
>Write me a GUI application in R
>>
>>70522618
Being fast, concise and experienced in using the Commandline is a skill. Using it for everything is cargoculting. In Programming there are a lot of things which really really benefit from proper visualization and guidance.

My worst experience in that regard was someone working on database structure and management who sneered at using something like heidisql, navicat or the million other tools, but opted for the CLI. 3 days later the PM of the project with 0 Coding Skills did the Tasks Himself in half a day because the Coder was horribly slow, simply because he had to write Queries for every little thing that are one click actions in a GUI...
>>
>>70522243

Is javascript good for learning the basics?
>>
File: 1460043024045.png (556 KB, 771x533) Image search: [Google]
1460043024045.png
556 KB, 771x533
>>70519085
Is C# degenerate?
>>
>>70523564
That and PHP will wake you up to world of programming.
>>
>>70522551
>>70522301

Thanks senpai, honestly I wouldn't mind working 60 hours a week.

What other options are there? I know SQL is pretty large and easy to read from my experience in my past jobs, but I wouldn't feel passionate about it.

What other languages are there for someone who is creative, hard-working(willing to overcome anything difficult) and disgruntled at the current state of gaming companies?

>>70522509
For some reason this is true, chinese as well.(China is pig)
>>
>>70520854
>I'm a CS student too and I'm confident that with a degree from my university I'll find a well-paid job.
Bet you're from some shitty Brno university.
>>
>>70523510
>"Flappy Bird"

Go fucking create a serious piece of software that isnt made in 3 fucking days, make it full of bugs, then sell it, and see how many fucking people complain. Your rep will be ruined as well.
>>
>>70523609
No
>>
>>70523609
Yes. I need to write an evolutionary algorithm to solve MSA problem. I need to use Windows in a VM because MONO is fucking shit. Thanks Microsoft!
>>
>>70523609

It's a really nice language
More advanced than java but not as manual as c++
>>
File: 1457879091544s.jpg (5 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
1457879091544s.jpg
5 KB, 125x120
>>70523613
>PHP
>Good for learning basics
lol
>>
>>70523448
I'm assuming this is a response to me?
We were required to solve particular problems writing our own algorithms. It didn't really matter if it was an adapted mergesort or some hodgepodge of your own as long as it fell into the required paradigm (incremental algos, divide-and-conquer ones, decrease and conquer are those I recall being mentioned) and that they were efficient or fulfilled a Big O requirement.
There were also questions about particular algorithms but those were fairly easy in comparison.
>>
>>70523760
You know that it is a 101 shit in here, right?
>>
>>70523705
I know a guy that emulated an mmo gaming server with it.
>>
>>70523613
>be american
>master php
>paid less than a shit tier plumber
world of programming awaits
>>
Google for "sexism silicon valley".

There was a major media campaign against IT workers similar to how SJWs suddenly decided gamers are sexist after Anita Sarkeesian. Basically they go after every male-majority community with the same scheme (now they're even attacking board-game neckbeard communities kek).
>>
>>70522426
Nice, I have found these books. Now, can you recommend something for C#?

I always wanted to make a side scroller game with rpg elements, I know this is complex, but now I have *free* time, so...
>>
>>70523840
Have you tried beating them up and say that women and men should be treated equally?
>>
>>70519085
Bruh there is a constant need for more programmers and you shouldent worry.
>>
>>70523838
It takes a damn lot to master programming, maybe more than I have. But I can still read C++ and just about any other language.
>>
>>70523799
You mean the thread or the algo stuff?
Cause it was the Basic Algos course everyone was required to take.
>>
>>70523868
If your doing this for video games wouldn't it make sense to learn more about a game engine or whatever? Though I think unity uses c#.
>>
>>70523840
When will they go after garbage collection? Or elevator repair
>>
>>70519361
Logic mostly, just start our with Python its super easy and you have a lot of online tutorials.
>>
Well in a Tetris sense he is right, theres probably more broken PHP Code out there that needs to be fixed than any other language combined. You can get your hands very early on and see motivating results. The pain and frustration comes much later.
Its similar to JS, you don't really learn the fundamentals, but it takes you in the neighborhood like a good looking russian prostitute and then you can still decide for one of their more docile and sensible woman.
>>
>>70523983
I'm talking about the algos.
I remember having similar problems during first year course of Algorithms and Data Structures on local University of Technology and Science.
>>
>>70523868
Probably something like Head First C#, C# in Depth, CLR via C Sharp, C# 6.0 and the .NET 4.6 Framework.
There's probably a bit of overlap in there but those are the books i've saved up for learning C# more indepth myself.

And if you want to make games just download Game Maker or Unity and start fiddling around with that.
>>
>>70523705
Well in a Tetris sense he is right, theres probably more broken PHP Code out there that needs to be fixed than any other language combined. You can get your hands dirty very early on and see motivating results. The pain and frustration comes much later.

Its similar to JS, you don't really learn the fundamentals, but it takes you in the neighborhood like a good looking russian prostitute and then you can still decide for one of their more docile and sensible woman.
>>
>>70521022

But they'll work 140 hours per week on easy shit and barely get it done in time. Such good value
>>
>>70519085
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941
>>
>>70523645
>what is Windows ME?
>>
>>70521755
yep, my company tried outsourcing some projects to India and had to scrap the entire thing after two years because it was so terrible.
>>
Can anyone comment on what my chances for getting a code monkey job are?

Education: Mechatronica (MBO 4/community college), currently in my last year and doing an internship as a PLC programmer (Siemens TIA portal) for a total of 20 weeks. My assignment is in the oil and gas industry. My boss already said i'm faster and produce better work than a lot of higher educated interns he had, although he does think i'm a bit of an autist.
I have some experience with C fucking around with sqlite, libcurl and libtcod. I also did about 15 projecteuler problems in C and I am currently making a simple android game.
>>
By the way, faculties that are doing real science in here are /pol/ as fuck. Feels good. Avoid anything related to humanities. Burgerflippers are getting infiltrated by feminist/gender bullshit. Right now we moved their Faculty away from the main University campus. Let's see if they die out naturally or do we have to actually fire all of them.
>>
>>70523564
I would say no.

While javascript is easy enough to learn, and has a lot of resources available, it's an extremely bad language for beginners since quirks in the language (such as the type system and equality operators) make it possible to do things that cannot be done in more sensibly designed languages.

At least in my experience, people who pick up javascript as a first language experience a lot of difficulty adjusting to something which has a lot stronger type system.

Also, people get confused between Java and Javascript, when in reality javascript has nothing to do with Java. I've seen people posting on /g/ asking how to compile javascript, or how come their java code doesn't work in a web browser. Grim stuff.
>>
>>70523491
It still takes time to get up to speed on other languages. C++ is a solid foundation but its not going to get you hired for jobs using other languages unless you have a few years of work experience with it.

>>70523627
If you are asking specifically about useful for the game industry, after C++ is probably C# but only due to Unity engine. Scripting languages like LUA are also used but don't waste your time with them unless you want to be a designer instead of a programmer. C could be useful but is not used as much these days outside of aging engines.
>>
>>70523986
It is the equivalent of saying "Yeah sure I want to be a professional driver, but only with automatic gears."

There comes a point when you need to understand the logic behind your drag and drop, and you will also need to do some basic algorithms and data-modeling when making a game. Hell, Unity even accepts C# snippets for this exact purpose
>>
>>70524084
Same here. We also had to develop our own castrated-into-the-oblivion-C-like-language parser as a part of the course project. Fun times.
>>
>>70524084
Yeah, like I said it was the most basic one. (though it went into more interesting areas during the labs like cuckoo hashing since the guy in charge was an algo researcher)
More indepth algo for big data and geometrical problems were optional courses.
Just saying that we supposed 'westerners' don't get to google our way through algorithms.
>>
>>70524240
Better than 80% of hirees if you have a portfolio to show for any of that desu.
>>
>>70519085
I interviewed some chick for a programming job once. She wanted 30k more than the guy we hired and had only half the qualifications and experience. She tried to bullshit her way through some technical questions. Honestly I was disappointed, programming is such a sausagefest we could honestly use a little T&A, if only they were competent.

So relax bros, they aren't gonna take your jobs any more than the poo in loos, because at the end of the day programming is the realm of INTJs and we actually have to get shit done.
>>
>>70524311
I used to get frustrated that they make us to write libraries from scratch, but now I understand how everything works. You create your own library, compare it with the present ones and see how you can improve.
>>
>>70524084
Data structures same stuff here
>>
>>70521137

Go here first, bro:

>http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Python is very forgiving if you're new and learning it will give you skills that transfer over to every other language you learn.

Once you get a handle on Python, you can try this:

>http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

Or go your own way and learn something else. Programming is basically like learning a real language; you need to use it, practice with it, expose yourself to it etc.
>>
>>70524428
For multiple platforms?
>>
>>70524470
Zed Shaw is and remains a hack.
And I thought he quit on that C book because C-fags triggered him by calling it shit?
>>
File: 41Di11AIRZL._SY400_.jpg (19 KB, 173x400) Image search: [Google]
41Di11AIRZL._SY400_.jpg
19 KB, 173x400
>>70519085

nuffin Ayo() {
words DisNiggaSaid = SoYouBeSayin();
HolUp();
if(!DinduNuffin(DisNiggaSaid))
BixNood();
}
>>
>>70524351
I was talking about Murricans, Spaniards and other Frenchmen.
>>
DIKU, anyone?
>>
>>70524308
I would still recommend starting with an engine for anyone wanting to get into game development because:
1. Knowledge of an engine itself is useful for intern/entry level positions at companies using that engine.
2. Most people give up very quickly when making games, especially when they don't make much visible progress. Engines let you skip a bunch of early unfulfilling work reinventing the wheel and instead you can experience solving a bunch of game development related problems.

Otherwise if you really want to try making your own "engine" I would recommend making first a terminal based text adventure followed by pong and snake using SDL or XNA. Or if you want to do it the hard way use DirectX or OpenGL directly.
>>
Live in Cali and be at least decent at programming and you're set. If you can't get a job you probably fucking suck or are autistic.
>>
>>70524488
Linux/Windows (depends on the course) nobody gives a fuck about MacOs in Poland outside of Indie game developers.
>>
>>70523564
Fuck javascript its bullshit.
You should try C to learn basics about memory, C++ to learn objects and memory handling.
I'm raging every time someone says "lul I dont understand pointers my (insert bullshit language) does it for me"
>>
>>70524535
Kek
>>
>>70524539
Ah, well that's fine then.
>>70524553
>birthplace of DikuMUD
Dem credentials.
>>
>>70524622
Is there anywhere not Cali like middle of the country or south?
>>
>>70524624
You sir are my hero. I fucking love you Poland.
>>
>>70524417
>INTJ
>Getting stuff done
Pick one
>>
>>70520767
>printf or cout<< or print is too easy, let's say System.out.print
Do you even understand namespaces and objects?
>Also Main() is too simple too, what if it confuses people
Do you even understand entry points?

That's a top shitpost you got there. Multiple class inheritance is also disgusting as fuck.
>>
>>70519085
What do you guys think about web developing? What category does it even fall under?
>>
>>70524675
If anything I would say it recreational.
>>
>>70524269

Oh ok thanks. I might give python a go then. Ultimately I want to learn C++ for game dev but the advice I got was to start with something easy to learn.

>>70524627
Cheers for the advice.
>>
>>70524675
Depends if you're frontend or backend.
>>
>>70524675
Easy way to get some extra cash.
>>
>>70524627
Someone trying to teach themselves programming is going to be much better off learning a higher level language like JS. You have to be bright and highly motivated to learn C with no help. I honestly didn't truly understand C until I took a compiler class.
>>
File: 1452413466535.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1452413466535.gif
4 MB, 320x240
stop making such threads, my abs can't take the keks anymore
>>
>>70520978
Java everything is an object so you have to make a scanner object. The scanner is not in lang library so you have to import :(
>>
>>70524738
For some reasons Django fags are extra active in here. They are organizing courses, meeting etc. Are they doing it for free or someone is funding these initiatives? EU maybe?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.