[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Drake Equation - A Formula for Alien Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: Drake-Equation-def-low-res.jpg (936 KB, 2800x1050) Image search: [Google]
Drake-Equation-def-low-res.jpg
936 KB, 2800x1050
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Does this concept of merit in your eyes?

For newbies: read through the image. It's an equation to determine aliens. When I studied it in college,the part that shined is how exponential colonizing would be, given that the variables are similar to what the equation uses. When considering the universe is billions of years old, you'd be scared how much of a galaxy humans can occupy in the span of ~1 million years. But again, assuming proper conditions.
>>
It's a nice equation, but it's still just guesswork.

Then you have the Fermi paradox, or whatever it is called. We don't pick up any electromagnetic waves in space, despite the fact that they would probably be there if life exists elsewhere in the universe.
>>
why, my peenus weanus of course :)

hahah! :D

it's my weeeeeenus peanus! :) hahah

how come this isn't a total warzone - my answer is, of course, my peanus weenus :D

hahaha!
>>
>>70509330
>We don't pick up any electromagnetic waves
of artificial design*
>>
>>70509384

I thought it was impossible to do so, since background electromagnetic radiation and sheer distance would make it impossible to detect.

Secondly, a species capable of interstellar travel and communication would probably not use electromagnetic communication, they would develop another more advanced system of communication that we would not be able to pick up with our limited technology.

>>70509165

Finally, why would an alien civilization want to even talk to us? You are assuming that we have anything of value to them.

And if we did have anything of value, We could deduce two very likely things about the alien species.

1.) Their survival would be more important than our own
2.) they would assume the same of us.

So if we had anything of value, anything crucial to the development or safety of their species, they would most likely just take it from us, like we did the Indians or currently doing to the Amazon.

Now they may have ethical constraints which forbid them from doing so, but life as we currently know it demands its self-propogation even at the expense of other life forms. Hell, even Algae and some minerals do this as well.

I am frankly incredibly glad we have not met an alien civilization that is out there yet. We would not be in any bargaining position as a species against them whatsoever, and that gets you fucked.
>>
>>70509165

The Drake Equation is flawed from the very beginning because it makes too many baseless assumptions. I have no doubt whatsoever that the universe is not only teeming with life, but intelligent life too.
>>
File: IZ2iBRh.jpg (38 KB, 570x321) Image search: [Google]
IZ2iBRh.jpg
38 KB, 570x321
>>70509165
>Let's use some random numbers and look how big the result will be.

Yes, it's science!
>>
File: moon formation.gif (14 KB, 434x500) Image search: [Google]
moon formation.gif
14 KB, 434x500
>>70509165
The Ecosystem is a huge part of the problem.
For intelligent life to evolve the plant must have
1. A large moon like ours so that the planet remains hot and doesn't lose it's atmosphere to the star.
2. rare materials like gold and iron in the upper crust so that they can advance technologically.

For these to happen there must be another planet that collided with another at just the right angle, an angle that is extremely rare.
>Shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwl_JBQtH9o

A double impact like this is VERY rare.
>>
>>70510402
That's assuming we need the same things that make us to make life.

Also there could be different physics in other parts of the universe.
>>
>>70509384
>>70509330
Because we're only a tiny fraction of a tiny solar system of a tiny galaxy in a decent sized galaxy cluster.

The idea that there is no intelligent life is preposterous. The real question is whether they've discovered space travel, or if we'll be the alien colonizers. Not all races are created equal, and figuring out interstellar communication and travel is a doozy.
>>
>>70509165
Answered by Fermi paradox, which itself is answered by Ust and Broderick who claim that the lack of sigint is due to encryption
>>
>>70510514
well yeah.... of course.
There is no reason to believe other radically difference forms of life can exist.
We know chemistry, things just don't work on the molecular level.
Based on the reality of life I would guess that difference physics would decrease the chances of life.
>>
>>70509330
Except the fact they're very likely to be lost in the background.
>>
>>70510402
Not necessarily true. A large planet could capture a relatively large moon.
>>
>>70509330
The amount of space we've searched though is like going to the beach, filling a cup with water and saying that there's no fish in the ocean because your cup just has water
>>
Either intelligent life is somewhere out there, or it is not, for now, it is pointless to guess.
>Hurr durr science
Stop dat shit, with all your science you cannot either approve or disprove existence of aliums
>>
File: 1327987939997.gif (461 KB, 400x242) Image search: [Google]
1327987939997.gif
461 KB, 400x242
Intelligent life 100% certainly exists somewhere else in the universe. The problem is if it is physically possible to reach out that far into the stars. There's not a single guarantee that interstellar travel is even possible, or that it'd be easy to find.

We might very well be among the first.
>>
File: pol_is_here_to_help_d3fbc172a.jpg (194 KB, 750x1365) Image search: [Google]
pol_is_here_to_help_d3fbc172a.jpg
194 KB, 750x1365
>>70509165
>I studied it in college,the part that shined is

> studied
> shined
> is
> me were studied into an colleges
> big learninged so many much
> my haveing a IQ over 171, such smartly

We get it, anon. You're here to redpill us.

> scrollon / 10
>>
I've read an interesting take on this recently in a Chinese sci-fi author's book. Cixin Liu, Dark Forest.

Suppose a vast number of civilizations are distributed throughout the universe, on the order of the number of detectable stars. Lots and lots of them. Those civilizations make up the body of a cosmic society. Cosmic sociology is the study of the nature of this supersociety. (...) Like Euclidean geometry, you’ll set up a few simple axioms at first, then derive an overall theoretic system using those axioms as a foundation. (...) First: Survival is the primary need of civilization. Second: Civilization continuously grows and expands, but the total matter in the universe remains constant. (...) To derive a basic picture of cosmic sociology from these two axioms, you need two other important concepts: chains of suspicion, and the technological explosion.

cont.
>>
>>70511156

If you think I’m benevolent, that’s not a reason to feel safe, because according to the first axiom, a benevolent civilization can’t predict that any other civilization is benevolent. You don’t know whether I think you’re benevolent or malicious. Next, even if you know that I think you’re benevolent, and I also know that you think I’m benevolent, I don’t know what you
think about what I think about what you’re thinking about me. It’s convoluted, isn’t it? This is just the third level, but the logic goes on indefinitely.That’s the chain of suspicion. It’s something that you don’t see on Earth. Humanity’s shared species, cultural similarities, interconnected ecosystem, and close distances means that, in this
environment, the chain of suspicion will only extend a level or two before it’s resolved through communication. But in space, the chain of suspicion can be very long.
>>
>>70511156

Here we need to introduce a second important concept: the technological explosion. I didn’t get a full explanation for this, either, but it was far easier to infer than the chain of suspicion. Human civilization has five thousand years of history, and life on Earth might be as much as a few billion years old. But modern technology was developed over the course of three hundred years. On the scale of the universe, that’s not development. It’s an explosion! The potential for technological leaps is the explosive buried within every civilization, and if it’s lit by some internal or external factor, it goes off with a bang. On Earth it took three hundred years, but there’s no reason why humanity should be the fastest of all cosmic civilizations. Maybe there are others whose technological explosions
were even more sudden. I’m weaker than you, but once I’ve received your message and know of your existence, the chain of suspicion is established between us. If at any time I experience a technological
explosion that suddenly puts me far ahead of you, then I’m stronger than you. On the scale of the universe, several hundred years is the snap of a finger. And it might be that my knowledge of your existence and the information I received from our communication was the perfect spark to set off that explosion. That means that even though I’m just a newborn or growing civilization, I’m still a big danger to you.”
>>
>>70511156
>>70511342
>>70511379

All in all, the conclusion is simple - you learn to shut the fuck up, and start blasting the fuck out of any idiots stupid enough to shout "I'm HERE COME FIND ME" into the void as soon as you're able to. The quotes are a bit chopped up despite my best efforts. The book is very much worth a read (second one of trilogy, translation for last one comes out this year).
>>
>>70509349
romania pls go
>>
>>70510877
Why is everyone so certain a civilization capable of interstellar travel would even desire communication or interaction at all with species it ended up finding?

If you can travel here, you also have stealth technology.

You also have to take into account that even if said civilizations wanted to make contact and interact with us, why the tity fucking shit dicks would they involve the peasants? Only the rulers of Humanity would be privy to the knowledge of ET and the interactions. We're common folk, rabble. They don't deal with retards who post on 4chan. You're not important.

Aliens exist. They can and we can easily travel anywhere in the universe regardless of relativity with very simply, but incredibly well hidden technology. Most look almost exactly like us, some are a bit more unique, but always "Humanoid". Or, bipedal, upright with at least 2 grasping limbs and at least one top-mounted extremity with the brain and sensory organs.

Focusing electromagnetic waves into specific frequencies can negate, and ultimately nullify an atom'(s) mass. When at a specific frequency to negate, the gravitational pull is, well, negated, and the object will float as if in space. When at a specific frequency to nullify, the gravitational pull is amplified at incredible speeds and forces that result in the atoms phasing through the fabric of this space-time into a sub-space type dimension that's parallel with our space-time. In that sub-space, there's no light speedlimit, among other physics anomalies, thus one can travel from point A (say USA) to point B (say Mars) almost instantly because there's no limit to how fast you move between those points in that space. Upon reaching point B, one simply alters the electromagnetogravitic frequency and returns mass to the atoms, phasing back into normal space-time, and onto Mars (point B).

Don't believe me? Fine, fuck you. I tried. Find out when you die. Or if you're (un)/lucky enough to get taken.
>>
File: space_economy_1458909514668.jpg (676 KB, 3300x2100) Image search: [Google]
space_economy_1458909514668.jpg
676 KB, 3300x2100
>>70510514
>there could be different physics in other parts of the universe

ffs

Humoring you for one post ... you propose that (MAYBE) actual physics will behave differently in the same universes we inhabit, just "somewhere else."

If so, that would be further away than the furthest galaxy we have ever observed, and we can observe almost to the very beginning of the Big Bang. There is almost no unobserved place left to look that is still in our own universe.

I'll bet you can't even spot how completely retarded you are.

>>70510402
You make an important point that can't be ignored. I'll even help you by adding that such a double impact would also have to occur within the "Goldilocks Zone" for Earthlike conditions, making it (est. probably) at least an order of magnitude rarer.

I'd also point out that life and civilization doesn't have to have the same conditions as we experience on Earth. That just makes it easier for us to detect it.

One small & quick example: asteroids and comets bombarding a planet can do & will provide many of the rarer elements required for technological advancement as we know it here. They might be even rarer, but they would be present and enough to get started. Once in space, they are common.

Several small moons can accomplish the same/similar effect(s) as a single large one withing a large enough window of time to allow life to evolve similarly to Earth.

So, the Mars-like collision you posted isn't necessary ... just one potential mechanism.
>>
>>70510055
>I thought it was impossible to do so, since background electromagnetic radiation and sheer distance would make it impossible to detect.

No, you can separate out radiation of different frequencies, and EM radiation travels unhindered through the vacuum of space.

>>70510823
>>70510823
It's not us searching for it, per se. If you drop a stone of the middle of a flat lake, you'll feel the reverberation a mile away. Well, actually, with water, you wouldn't, because the viscous forces would dampen it out. But in space, if you shot out an electromagnetic signal a few billion years ago, it would have pervaded much of space by now, and we should be able to detect it. But we detect nothing.
>>
>>70509330
I like the idea that we're the first. It's not brought up very often and people usually dismiss it as unlikely but it's distinctly possible and explains a lot of the problems we're encountering.
>>
The only equation you need regarding ayys

Government announcement of alien invasion `= Operation Bluebeam
>>
File: good grey - no border.png (53 KB, 238x290) Image search: [Google]
good grey - no border.png
53 KB, 238x290
If you want the no bullshit truth about aliens read this:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mkibd3gvictitb/UFO+abduction.zip
>>
>>70512770

fuck of fag
>>
>>70509330
There's a lot of background radiation on all frequencies out there, from stronger sources than anyone would bother to make other than the express purpose of focusing a high-powered transmitter and shooting a message in a random direction and hoping you get a response in a few hundred or thousand years.
We won't pick up anyone's TV signals or hobbyist radio because that shit will disappear into the background static before it hits the next star over.
We'll only ever pick up a signal if they're also looking for us, but one could have been on its way since before we started stacking rocks into walls and we still wouldn't have got it yet.

Fermi Paradox is bullshit.
>>
>>70509165
It doesn't matter, Hillary said she will reveal the truth about aliens.
>>
File: file.png (55 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
file.png
55 KB, 225x225
>>70509330
>We don't pick up any electromagnetic waves in space

so what are you saying is that if aliens existed they would have called us on our cellphones by now?
>>
No one replied to me and all of the posts since mine have been dumb.
>>
>>70511486
There are constraints on the decision to attack. Initiating an all out attack could lead to your extinction in a galaxy without faster than light travel. The best option is to sit in place and process information until all the unknowns are charted. Even if they scavenged a dozen gas giants and launched projectiles at us at near light speed they have no way of guaranteeing our extinction.
>>
>>70514800

At the current state and understanding of technology, maybe. Who's to say what advances can be made?

Also, this theory makes Dyson Spheres unviable as blocking out the Sun on the scale would be tantamount to shouting "WE'RE RIGHT HERE" into space.
>>
>>70509165
The only scientific conclusion of the Drake equation is that we are alone in the galaxy. No megastructures exist, and it is impossible for them not to present if intelligent life is able self-generate, because an extremely large number of star systems have existed for billions of years in our galaxy before Earth became home to intelligent life, under the Drake equation many of them could make a galatic civilisation if it were possible for intelligent life to arise.

Face it, God created human beings as a special case. The Drake equation proves it.
>>
>>70511881
Maybe you can't observe certain galaxies because we can't see them using our physics :^)
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.