[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to the Bible, what books should I start with? Should I read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: sdas.jpg (27 KB, 259x350) Image search: [Google]
sdas.jpg
27 KB, 259x350
New to the Bible, what books should I start with? Should I read it chronologically, or are there good beginning points?
>>
Bumping because I have the same question.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 640x569) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 640x569
>>70497639
Start with this
>>
Just read it front to back, then interest yourself in other translations.
>>
>>70497746
Which translation should I start with?
>>
>>70497822
King James is what I started with.
>>
>>70497639
beginning or with J. Vernon's through the bible
>>
Luke Gospel desu.
>>
Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
>>
>>70497639
Keep in mind, the only parts to be interpreted as the word of god himself is the 10 commandments and anything related to Jesus, rest is basically historical context and/or a good moral.
>>
Make sure you read the Apocrypha as well.
>>
File: 1454869688684.jpg (153 KB, 1640x976) Image search: [Google]
1454869688684.jpg
153 KB, 1640x976
Read the new testament and then old testament then reread the new testament again if you are really into christianity
>>
>>70498049
This.
>>
>>70497639
>>70497675
Begin with the New Testament. Reading what Jesus did and his sermons can be really powerfull. Sometimes its like he is directly speaking to you, so id say start there
>>
>>70497639
>>70497919
The gospels, of course. Which one is up to you. Mark the shortest and the earliest. John is the most mystical and is very different from the others. Luke and Matthew are very similar to one another.
>>
>>70497639
waste of time , why don't read The Feynman Lectures on Physics and learn something instead of wasting your time reading fairy tales
>>
>>70497639

Just start from the begining, but keep in mind a lot of the books in the OT are very 'historical' and are stories about Isreal and its history, which is fine, but you can skim through those and come back to read them if they interest you. There is good reading and not so good reading in some parts of the bible. Pay attention to Ecclesiasties and Book of Job. The first is a very solid book of wisdom and beautiful poetry. Job is in my opinion the most important book in Judaism and the second in Christianity. It is beautiful and moving , touching upon some of the most fundamental questions of the relationship between man a d God, and good and 'evil'. If there was only one book of the bible you could read, it should be Job.

Historically it is a very interesting book because it is so 'unorthodox' compared to many common beliefs in modern Judaism and Christianity.

You could also start right in the NT , but you would miss out on some references and their meaning untill you went back to read the OT.

Despite being raised in the faith I found reading the bible in a objective manner and through the lens of history to be much more interesting and had a bigger impact on my faith than taking it at face value. Enjoy the read friend.
>>
>>70498527
>waste of time , why don't read The Feynman Lectures on Physics and learn something instead of wasting your time reading fairy tales

First learn math through DiffEq and physics through Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. It'll make more sense then. He was shit at introducing topics... great review though.
>>
Start with the four Gospels, starting with Matthew, as the whole Bible is built around Christ. The Old Testament points towards him and the New Testament is born from him. New Jerasalem is a good translation.
>>
>>70497639
>>>/his/
>>>/x/
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.