[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sports subsidies cost students millions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: the great swindle.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
the great swindle.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Pic is from a football game between Georgia State University and the University of Western Kentucky. Despite having over 32,000 students, GSU games are poorly attended. In order to keep such a poorly supported team afloat, all students are required to pay a mandatory football fee. There is no way to avoid this fee. If you don't pay, you can't enroll in classes. A full time student will rack up several thousand dollars in football fees over the course of four years and the fees keep rising as the gap between football costs and revenues widens. People complain about the rising cost of attending college but schools keep adding on junk like this that serves no educational purpose.

Why is this allowed? Why can't students who don't give a damn about football (which the pic shows is most of them) get an education without being forced to subsidize the football team? This is a public university supported with taxpayer money. Its purpose is to educate and perform research. Why is football able to attach itself like a leech and suck money out of students who just want to earn a degree? Can't we cut out all of excess crap not related to instruction or research so costs will drop instead of increasing faster than inflation?
>>
>>70432955

It's too bad the football players kidnapped you from your home and forced you to attend a university just so they could get paid to play. Let me guess, they were niggers, right?
>>
>>70432955
I can coment on this with a bit of $ numbers.

Pic is of the Texas A&M display frames on the ground.

I Welded projects for Texas A&M this last year. Multiple orders for giant sound equipment (the big silver boxes hanging over the crowds) and about 28 of these stupid ass displays. The whole project was paid for by the college, totaling well over 1.7 million just for the metal fab along with some powdercoating.

The amount of $ colleges spend on JUST football is well beyond what people think. Some projects from UCLA I just bid on for similar displays is at $1.4 million. This is just for displays that mount to the wall with acrylic panels printed with images and stories about past athletes.
>>
>>70432955
I agree. We shouldn't give out athletic scholarships either.
>>
>>70433078
If they get rid of sports who'll fuck all those yung wight whores?
>>
File: 20150811_215634.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150811_215634.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>70433791
>>
college sports are an even bigger scam than professional sports, at least those niggers get paid.
>>
>>70432955

> hurr durr the only schools are the d1 sports schools
> hurr durr please ignore the billions of dollars these schools get from tv deals to cover niggerball
>>
>>70433791
the president of mizzou stepped down when the football team threatened to forfeit the game because thanks to the criminal NCAA forfeiting a game is an automatic $1 million fine.
>>
>>70434094

The only professional sport that is a scam is the nfl. Every other major sport features guaranteed contracts.

Baseball contracts are easily 100 mil guaranteed for high upside players.
>>
>>70433791
Sounds like they're bribing students to pay an additional fee so their football team can be 'noticed' and picked up by major NFL sponsorships or endorsements.

Glad to hear colleges are just giant commercials now forcing students to pay even more money.
>>
>>70432955
Because colleges are not considered businesses and can hemorrhage money and the Fed will subsidize them.

Like all liberal government bureaucracies
>>
>>70434275
I always forget baseball and basketball exist, football is the only sport allowed in the Great Lakes region. Nfl a shit though, yeah.
>>
>>70432955
outside of ticket sales, what sort of revenue does the team generate?
>>
>>70433078
Dumbest post I've read all year.
>>
>>70432955
No one is forcing them to go to a shitty school
>>
>>70432955
This is pretty much the case at Baylor
Our games are so poorly attended the school newspaper has to write an angry article every couple of weeks
Good to see that nigger collision isn't as popular as they would like it to be
can't wait until all the imported nigger athlete are out of a job
>>
>>70434378
I played competitive travel baseball and we lowly canadian teams were good but spent most of our summers (may-september) entirely in the states.

Michigan/New York teams were objectively worse than all others. Good teams started popping up south of the mason/dixie. especially south of kentucky, and by tennessee you had those farm boys who would drive daddy's truck to the games after a half-day on the farm.

that being said, your hockey teams along the border are not bad, and objectively better than anything south of ohio.
>>
>>70434644

LOL. You have nothing.

Here's a thought: if you don't want to pay athletes to go to college, find a college that doesn't put athletics on a pedestal. There are 438 universities and colleges in NCAA DIII alone who are prohibited from offering athletics scholarships.

Ironically, I actually agree with OP, I just think him and the rest of you are being entitled pricks with no agency, which in other words is par for the course for college kiddos.
>>
File: 1460177884010.jpg (910 KB, 2477x3302) Image search: [Google]
1460177884010.jpg
910 KB, 2477x3302
>>70432955
Why universities in 'merica spend so much money and time on retarded handegg sports?
>>
>>70432955
Anything related with entertainment or the government is overpriced, useless and corrupt. When you mix government and entertainment, you can get these three "qualities" and multiply by 1000.
>>
>>70434147
If the school gets millions why do they require students to pay subsidies to the football team? A school like Alabama or Michigan can make a nice profit, schools like Georgia State lose money like crazy. Why not make the football teams self supporting? If they can't bring in enough revenue, the team shuts down. No stealing money from students. Schools like Alabama could continue to have their football teams while schools such as GSU would no longer have a team and students would graduate with less debt.
>>
File: 1495954.jpg (131 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1495954.jpg
131 KB, 1920x1200
>>70434644
>Dumbest post I've read all year.

It's only April!
>>
>>70434631
Popular teams get tv contracts and sell lots of merchandise. Plus there are alumni donations to the team. Teams at schools where the students don't care about football? Not much revenue comes in which is why students are forced to subsidize the team whether they want to watch or not.
>>
>>70434661

That's a damn shame.
>Baylor football has really turned around and they have a huge brand new stadium to play in.
>But frankly I'm tired of college and pro football and all the bullshit that comes with it.
>>
>>70435559

Because you're dumb enough to pay it
>>
>>70432955
There are a few college athletic departments that operate without having to ask the college for money, but I think it's less than 10 colleges.

Georgia's (not Georgia State) athletic department for example operates completely independently. Donations, ticket sales, royalties from rights fees and sponsorships, and tv contracts covers their whole athletic program.

Most other colleges operate at a loss though.
>>
Here's a thought..

DON'T ATTEND THOSE FUCKING SCHOOLS

There are literally thousands of colleges in this country
>>
>>70434631
Concessions and memorabilia
>>
>>70433078
>>70434965
>you're entitled pricks if you don't want colleges to spend 5/6ths of your tuition on sportsball instead of actual learning

t. Provost Schlomobergsteingold
>>
This is just an additional nigger tax to keep them on their "scholarship"
>>
>>70436023

No, you're entitled pricks when you decide to attend a school, knowing quite well how they spend their money, then you expect them to change to suit your tastes. You're fucking SJW trash, go chalk a sidewalk with a hashtag.
>>
File: 1452260401012.png (292 KB, 561x552) Image search: [Google]
1452260401012.png
292 KB, 561x552
>>70436232
>implying anyone is SJW trash because they want their tuition to be spent on education instead of niggerball

I know "dat cawwlige ball" is the only way you were able to "git outta da hood" tyrone, but you're not entitled to my money you SJW trash :^)
>>
>>70435891
>Thousands of colleges in this country
>That do the same thing
>>
Yanks love their college varsity teams. They even got it instilled into us back in colonial days that a portion of our tuition fees today goes to the college varsities.
>>
>>70436373
>implying a college education is needed to make money
>>
File: 1434211611163.jpg (598 KB, 2304x3456) Image search: [Google]
1434211611163.jpg
598 KB, 2304x3456
>>70436540
That's why I dropped out after my first two years to go work for the railroad.

I'd rather be making money than paying niggers to play sportsball at a school that wasn't even D1
>>
>>70436373

Then go pay tuition to a school who spends it on your education, you petulant child. Take charge of your own life instead of whining about how others need to change to accommodate you.
>>
>>70432955
>Why is this allowed?
Because they can charge what they want.

If you don't want to pay for a football team then attend one of the other shitty Georgia schools that doesn't have a football team. I agree with you that it sucks to pay for something you won't ever attend. But no one is going into the poor house because of an athletic fee. Some schools include a fee for computer labs. You have to pay for that even if you have your own computer. Some schools include a fee for weight room and swimming pools. You have to pay for that even if you are an unhealthy fat fuck. Some schools force you to live on campus your freshman year.

There are many things you have to pay for that you don't want to pay for. And it sucks. But luckily you have a choice in schools.

The price of an education is silly. But it is the Tuition and price of books I am concerned about. Not the athletic fees.
>>
They're probably just lying and pocketing the money. Look at programs like Ohio State and Alabama. They probably bring in billions in revenue a year.
>>
>Play niggerball
>Have a degree
Only in america
>>
File: 1438778434127.png (182 KB, 276x264) Image search: [Google]
1438778434127.png
182 KB, 276x264
>>70432955
the funnier part for me is

>the cost of college is too high -liberals
>liberal run college raises tuition 6% every year
>>
another thought

even when the school has a successful football program... which "helps the students".... tuition still goes up 6% a year
>>
>thinking anyone would want to go to college if all there was to do was study
>>
>>70437712

Most people wouldn't want to go, that's true, but on the other hand the ones who would truly would belong there.

I'd rather universities return to their medieval roots. If you're not willing to display an almost monastic devotion to your education then go to community college.
>>
>>70434702
what of the OPs point? that students are forced to subsidize playng of pointless games?
>>
>>70432955
No one is forcing you to attend a college that does this. If enough people stop going the college will be forced to lower tuition or get rid of the program.

My college didn't even have a football team, I paid for my housing and classes and that was it.
>>
>>70432955
I can't speak for GSU or UofWK, but at my alma mater the sports programs, specifically the football program, created countless millions for the school. Sure, a lot of money was invested in that programs but the entire university greatly benefited from that investment.
>>
>>70434328
You're forgetting that a shitload of good college sports programs are private. These schools actually have to produce. That's why I'll never root for a public university team.
>>
All of the FBS school's bring in enough TV revenue to subsidise the women's and special snowflake sports and still have millions leftover in straight profit. Maybe smaller schools should consider cutting back on their athletic programs but big schools certainly shouldn't.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.