[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Copyright Laws & Software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: illegal.jpg (207 KB, 1153x692) Image search: [Google]
illegal.jpg
207 KB, 1153x692
If I read a book to my kids before they go to bed... am I breaking copy right laws? Because neither of them purchased the book and I am reading out loud the content.

If a teacher reads a book to 20 students in a class room... is this breaking the law?

Why can't a private server run WoW?
>>
>>70336335
RIP to your level 60s OP.

And Blizzard is completely in their legal bounds to sue and shut down that server since there are treaties and policies in the EU that let the U.S. have some leverage in situations, and France is in the EU.
>>
>>70336335
Downloading and installing WoW is free, playing it is not.
Not a hard concept.
>>
>>70336335
Not a breach of copyright for education. Can be found under "fair dealing" exceptions. What do you really want to know op?
>>
>>70336829

It's illegal, face it.

What education are kids getting out of cat in the h-t?

They should all be fined and thrown into jail for breaking the law.
>>
>>70337060
>It's Illegal
Statute clearly lays out this specific example as non-infringement.
>>
A question I have about all this is if nost wrote their server software independently which contains no copyrighted assets from blizzard (because the graphical assets are clientside) then how is blizzard able to tell them to stop running the software they wrote? The copyrighted stuff is clientside and brought by the users connecting to the server. Wouldn't this be kind of like making your own engines for a car where people can bring you their car and you can swap out the engine but you can't swap out the engine saying it was a legit stock ford or something like that?
>>
File: illegalpainting.jpg (21 KB, 630x335) Image search: [Google]
illegalpainting.jpg
21 KB, 630x335
>>70337333

That's one of my main points I would address.

How can they even enforce this as a copyright issue?

Should car manufacturers sue Uber for people using their cars to transport people and collect money?

Why doesn't Intel sue everyone who is using their old hardware for public servers?
So you own the hardware... but do you own the code and bios?

It's an amazing system of ridiculousness.
>>
>>70337214
>not getting that sarcasm

kek
>>
>>>/v/ is that way, nobody cares about your clicky life substitute here
>>
>>70337333
1. Blizzard owns World of Warcraft

2. Blizzard is a company; companies want to make profit

3. Nostalrius has around 7k-9k daily users on it, which means Blizzard is losing money.

9000 x $15 = ?
>>
>>70338627
I won't pay to play the new WOW, i want to play old wow, i play private servers because the game was better before blizzard 'improved' it. Just because i play a private server doesn't mean i would ever give my money to blizzard.

The same goes for pirating, you can't prove that by someone pirating something that they would have payed money for it to begin with.
>>
File: alexstrasza-cosplay-wow.jpg (166 KB, 980x815) Image search: [Google]
alexstrasza-cosplay-wow.jpg
166 KB, 980x815
>>70338627

Yea but these cosplay girls are making money off WoW trademarks and copyrights.

They should have to pay blizzard money or go to jail.

Also, everyone who has ever watched a movie at their friend's house and didn't pay for the movie should be sued.
>>
>>70336335
Private servers are shit anyway. You'll never be able to relive the true nostalgia of vanilla WoW.
>>
>>70336335
It's literally like sending in work copied from a book with you crediting it all from a book and saying you only copied the text from the book. Sure, you'll get a zero for your work but it's not against the rules since it's not plagiarised (you did credit after all).
>>
>>70338627
Blizzard is not making a product people want because they don't feel like it so other people move in to Fill the gap
>>
>>70339321
This. Vanilla wow was amazing. Even the transition to BC was a lot of fun. Old school exploratory raiding was the best, I miss stumbling into boss fights that nobody had tried yet, and that didn't walk you through the fight step by step.

Common sense used to be required for raiding, now the game tells you everything you have to do, down to not standing in puddles of shit.
>>
>>70339321

Nostalrius wasn't shit tho.
>>
>>70339049
I'd pay her money and go to jail
>>
>>70336335
>If I read a book to my kids before they go to bed... am I breaking copy right laws?
No. In order to do so, you need to create an actual copy. Brain recordings don't count.
>Why can't a private server run WoW?
Unlike the book, you never owned your copy of WoW. You were only given a licence to use it. This licence does not cover running a private server. Hence, it got revoked for a licencing agreement violation. Not related to copyright.
>>
File: 1401498347630.jpg (274 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1401498347630.jpg
274 KB, 1920x1080
no one mentioning that you actually can play wow for free?

big private servers with really good scripts do exist..
>>
>>70338309
Get a load of this idiot.
>>
File: rip wow.jpg (440 KB, 911x1419) Image search: [Google]
rip wow.jpg
440 KB, 911x1419
>>70336335
>>
>>70338950
Theft in Canada requires proof that you've considered lawful use of the item? Man you leafs are crazy.
>>
File: nes-zapper-glock-1.jpg (159 KB, 640x778) Image search: [Google]
nes-zapper-glock-1.jpg
159 KB, 640x778
>>70340623

You never owned the bios in your motherboard or the code it uses.

Thus the hardware manufacture can legally have you cease and desist from the internet because you are using legacy software to access or provide a service.

You see the problem here?

It's being sued by BMW for restoring an old car, driving it on the road and then selling it off for less than it cost to rebuild it.

The kek is real.
>>
5 Stages of Grief

1. Denial

2. Anger (the stage that OP is at)

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

I'm already at stage 5. I've accepted that no matter how many change.org petitions you create or analogies you make up to demonize Blizzard, nothing is going to change.

Blizzard is a company
Blizzard wants to make money
Nostalrius is taking Blizzard's money
Blizzard can legally shut down Nostalrius

You figure out the rest.
>>
>>70336335
>paying for books
>paying for games

normie problems
>>
>>70338627

Blizzard is losing money cause their product is absolute dogshit garbage that completely alienated their original customer base. And the market is compensating by providing a product that many of those people want (vanilla, BC, wotlk Content).

Blizzard is well within the capacity to release legacy servers (a la jagex with runescape 07 which was a huge success) but they're too cheap. "We lost the source code to vanilla so no one can ever play vanilla" Ok? Then how are nostalrius and emerald dream hosting these vanilla servers if there's no source code?

Blizzard deserves every lost shekel they (don't) get.
>>
File: big_1411097516_1395007049_image.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
big_1411097516_1395007049_image.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>70341420

> Nostalrius is taking Blizzard's money

About that statement.

No... the truth is... Valv...

You get the picture. ;)
>>
>>70336540
You're that faggot who shits up /v/, aren't you? I don't even visit there, but I've seen screencaps of you putting "not a hard concept" after like ten posts per day. People are laughing at you.
>>
This thread is retarded and anybody who posts in it without actually reading a single phrase of copyright law should be ashamed of themselves.

Too bad gobbling cock can't be copyrighted, or else OP would be a millionaire.
>>
>>70339049

There is something called fair usage. Wow servers get fucked on copyright because under the hood they are using hundreds of pages of code, made and copyrighted by blizzard, not sure how you can compare that to a costume that was not made by blizzard but looks like one of their characters.
>>
>>70341194
>Thus the hardware manufacture can legally have you cease and desist from the internet because you are using legacy software to access or provide a service.
Nothing I do violates the terms of use for my BIOS, though.
>It's being sued by BMW for restoring an old car, driving it on the road and then selling it off for less than it cost to rebuild it.
BMWs aren't software, though.

The problem with software, and IP in general, is that ownership grants you a lot of rights, but you normally can't sell things without owning them. Hence the crutch licencing. It's not pretty, but it's better than the alternatives, as things stand.

Hence: Read your licences. And don't buy if they suck.
>>
>>70341697
Dota was a community created game, and valve hired the lead designer
>>
File: PicardWTF.jpg (6 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
PicardWTF.jpg
6 KB, 251x251
piracy does not equal lost of sales

i wont be buying legion or resubbing
>>
copyright is anti free market
>>
>>70336335
Why not just find a host in some country that will tell Blizzard to fuck itself with a rake?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.