[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Germany solar city produces four times the energy it consumes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 21
File: 0,,16001403_401,00.jpg (59 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
0,,16001403_401,00.jpg
59 KB, 700x394
So /pol/, for which reason we are not all buying solar panels?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1982709/germany-builds-a-solar-city-that-produces-four-times-the-energy-it-consumes-video/
>>
>>70321123
Because heavy solar panels can't be held up by favela shacks in hueland.
>>
>>70321123
>Germany solar city produces four times the energy it consumes

But still needs a grid connection for peak demand.
>>
I call bs
Watch the the only things that use electricy there be streetlamps or some stupid shit
>>
They probably spent more on the panels than they'll ever recoup in energy savings.

It is almost time but not quite yet.
>>
File: D.jpg (57 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
D.jpg
57 KB, 620x387
>>70321258
Le "bad teeth LOL"
>>
Buying and maintaining/replacing the solar panels still costs more than the money you save on electricity.
>>
>>70321123

"City". It's a backwater town.

You cannot store kWhs in the bank so it's really just an expensive little PR experiment for green zealotry and a good way to earn some coin for those who make and install panels.

Cut grid access to that town and they're all going to burn furniture to avoid becoming corpsicles in the winter.
>>
>>70321730
But they're probably being subsidized by the rest of Germany so the parasites living there don't care.
>>
>>70322052
Are solar panels somehow mutually exclusive with grid access? In sunny months you can sell excess energy back to the power company where I live.
>>
>>70321123
>So /pol/, for which reason we are not all buying solar panels?

Investment cost.

Population density.
>>
>>70323211
In case you haven't realized, but they're already starting to punish people who are selling power back to the grid in California. If you think solar panels aren't going to be a clusterfuck when the state no longer gets its cut you're in for a surprise.
>>
>>70321123
4 times
So like 4 people live there?
>>
>>70321123
Cost benefit analysis lad. In the US at least it makes zero economic sense for a consumer to install solar. It is cheaper to buy grid power. At the moment solar is a luxury item.
>>
>>70321123

Of course that deosn't take into acoount the huge amount of energy consumed to produce the panels themselves let alone the various accoutrement necessary.
>>
>>70321388

They need a grid connection to operate...no distribution tie in means no electric for every install even if panel output far exceeds demand.
>>

THAT MEANS JACK SHIT YOU FUCKING MORONS! Nobody needs electricity that just shoots into the net whenever the sun decides to shine! Unless you find a way to store huge amounts of electrical energy this solar panel shit will always just be a waste of money!
>>
>>70324121

I own a farmageddon in western Kentucky Staat that has solar powered geothermal. It also has endless free natural gas due to a smart Bauer utilising an otherwise worthless well water attempt which hit a gas pocket.
>>
>>70321123
reason: subventions for shitty technology. in germany where there is not that much sun.

>because more energy is made to make the panels than they will generate in their lifetime
>because if there is a fire in your house the firebrigade will not extinguish it
>because they only generate 'some' energy solely during daytime
>because to be efficient the panels should be cool (that's why some installations have water sprayers between the roof and the panels)
>because the selling price/kWh doesn't make much money
etc.

better install vacuum tubes for hot water and safe the electricity/oil/gas required to heat it conventionally.
>>
>>70321123
I live in Iceland, we only get sun for like half a year.
>>
>>70324755
just prodice energy 2x times than you consume
it's simple
>>
>>70324659
>what are batteries

oy vey
>>
>>70321123
They're also incredibly toxic to manufacture.
>>
It's unlikely making any profit from that idea and if there's a profit it's just consequence of the states intervention on the eneretic niche, as they've already spend tons of money on developing the tech and loads of grants to enforce it's use. Which makes it artificially useful... while fossils get cheap.

Politics always fail.
>>
>>70321123
Ill put it this way
Solar panels are a contrived way to store energy

when the panel is manufactured you have to invest (put) energy into it.
when you use it you recover part of that energy
yes, part of the energy came straight from the sun, but because of the previous energy investment another part is actually coming from whatever power source the factory used, most likely coal since these are made in china
also remember solar panels have a lifetime, so using them means constantly burning coal

tldr: solar panels are a way for greenfags to burn coal without it looking like they burn coal
>>
Most of the time it's dark
>>
Solar has a promising future, but methods of energy storage need to be a lot more advanced than they are now for solar/wind/etc to fully take advantage of it.

Battery technology is holding us back.
>>
>>70325143
this is my main concern

where are you going to dump all that arsenic acid or other wastes?
>>
>>70324755
But isn't 25% of your countries total energy needs supplied by geothermal energy?
>>
>>70324706

Evacuated tube solar hot water is simple and elegant and cost effective. You are right. Solar powered geothermal is as well. Degrees of phase and conversion change monkey wrench any wild ideas for the future.
>>
>>70325136
I thought storing electricity in a battery used more energy than saved.
>>
File: 1453259887818.jpg (37 KB, 599x654) Image search: [Google]
1453259887818.jpg
37 KB, 599x654
>>70325136
>batteries can fuel heavy industry
>>
>>70321123
The Californians did. Look how well that turned out.
>>
Key word *produces
So a lot of energy is lost to due lack of power storage and when the sun goes off or the cloud rolls in, there goes their utopia.
>>
>>70321123
I dont think we have enough sunshine for it to be profitable
>>
Yeah, pretty much everywhere that has distributed solar produces more energy that it needs in the middle of a sunny day.

Doesn't change the fact that peak energy usage in most of the world, including germany, is when the sun isn't in the god damned sky.

Another issue with distributed solar is that the signal quality is dogshit, requiring the power management companies to buy lots of expensive equipment to attach to the grid to clean the signal so it doesn't fry every electronic device in the city.

If you're going to do solar, do it right. Fields of mirrors. Ideally with some sort of power storage plan besides "dump it into the grid regardless of demand" or "put it in a gazillion batteries". The possibility of using hydrogen gas from electrolysis of water is something that needs to be explored as an intermediate energy storage option.
>>
>>70325493

>shaving eyebrows?

Unless she aims for that Marilyn Manson look, she's a dumb cunt
>>
>>70322052
You actually can store electricity using a water pump or flywheel and other methods (though not at 100% efficiency obviously)
>>
>>70325136
incredibly expensive tools for storing direct current that get weaker and weaker the more often they get charged and discharged?

Completely useless in a nation-wide power grid.
>>
>>70325493
She is ugly both with and without makeup
>>
Also they are shutting down nuclear plants worth billions of dollars because muh feelings!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>70325525
nah, they inject surplus power into grid and draw from it at night
>>
File: 1460081287481.jpg (52 KB, 800x370) Image search: [Google]
1460081287481.jpg
52 KB, 800x370
>>70321543
Le "country of mulattoes and niggers LOL"
>>
File: teslaenergy_utility2.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1013) Image search: [Google]
teslaenergy_utility2.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1013
>>70322052
>You cannot store kWhs in the bank
There's these cool things called batteries anon.
>>
>>70325748
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjF6I6phlpk&nohtml5=False
>>
>>70325690

water is actually the best method we have but it consumes way to much land to be viable in a country like germany.

youd need a country with mountains, rivers and population density like sweden and sun like egypt to go 100% green.

It would still be very expensive to build and maintain.
>>
>>70326013
I think Norway runs like 90% on water
>>
>>70321123
>the year of our Lord 2016
>not buying nuclear plants
>sucks to be a kraut i suppose
>>
>>70321123

Does it produce four times the energy it consumes in winter time? when the panels are covered in snow and the sky is mostly overcast and it's when power is most needed for heating due to the freezing temperatures?
>>
Is solar still the best choice for people who think some day there won't be any power plants or "grid" at all, or best case scenario there will be constant brownouts and rationing?
>>
>>70321123
too expensive, also not enough sun light
>>
>>70325821
>pay 10 times more for solar panels than Gas or coal
>pay 10 times additionally for a battery bank
>Run out energy during winter anyway becuase you spent only 10 times on battery instead of 200 times as needed to last the whole winter.
>>
>>70321123

>investing in meme panels

Just when I though Germany couldn't get any worse.
>>
>>70325330
>Battery technology is holding us back.

Why is battery tech lagging so much behind? you'd think people would invest gorillions of money into it since pretty much all the next level tech is depending on batteries to take off, like Boston Dynamics' robots.
>>
>>70326087
99 %
Pretty cool, huh?
>>
>>70325821
lol batteries are worse for the inviorment than fossil fuels dope. look what the battery recycling plants in mexico do to the land. saw a documentary about how tijuana was fucked.
>>
>>70321123
>inspecting_a_deluxe_solar_powered_cuckshed.jpg
>>
>>70326013
There's no reason to build these at ground level aside from laziness and humans have been building massive water reservoirs underground since before Roman times, it can be done.
>>
>>70326224
>lol batteries are worse for the environment than fossil fuels
not at all
>mexico
Wow, third world countries have shitty environmental protection standard. Colour me surprised.
>>
>>70325821

Notice how large volume, constantly draining and refilling energy reserves using batteries is currently so far out of reach that the best you could find was a theoretical 3D render of the concept.

Battery life, even at the industrial level, is shit when you're constantly draining and charging them, especially at fluctuating rates.
>>
>>70326218
Noice, whats the last %, wind?
>>
>>70326209
>just throw more money into this tech until is magic levels of efficiency
>hue logic

there are physical constraints
>>
>>70326087
>ch: 60%
but there isn't much potential left here..
>>
>>70326218
You just gotta be in the right place. Idaho runs on ~85% water because we have a shit ton of rivers. In fact, I think a lot of the power comes from a single dam.
>>
>>70326224
Libtards dont realize, until green energy is cheap (not through subsidies or any other games), the best battery is that of the chemical bonds in fossile fuels. Nature already made that battery.
>>
>>70326209
Because it's not as simple as pouring billions into random research. There is incremental improvement but no known miracle solution to the battery problem.
>>
>>70326368
Those are actually being sold. They are actually beating their sales expectations at that.
>>
>>70326462

In terms of static energy storage we already have the answer, electrolysis, but the greenies want muh batteries, presumably because they want to put them in cars.
>>
>>70326209
you think they dont? The cell phone industry alone throws billions into experimental battery technology. This isnt some dumb sci-fi movie, we wont suddenly find a new superconducting element we overlooked before, there are limits in this world.
>>
>>70326304
all those batteries recycled in mexico come from USA and your country is 3rd world as well what you got like 40% unemployment so you shit post in your underware all day from home.
>>
>>70326549
>electrolysis
how does that work for storing energy? You mean creating hydrogen?
>>
>>70326410
Use your kike magic to steal the last 40% from germoney
>>
>>70326389
>>70326209
Solid state lithium is coming.

It'll be twice the capacity and half the cost of today's lithium ion.

Also people don't seem to realize how today's lithium ion SHITS on the lead acid and nickel cadmium batteries of the past.

Today you can take a Sega Nomad, slap a set of new AAs in it, and get five hours of continuous use.

Anyone who used a Sega Nomad 20 years ago knows how extraordinary this is.
>>
>>70326380
I think so. I think the government want to utilize the wind more, but a lot of people don't want to have big wind turbines blocking their precious view. I'm all up for green energy. I'd take big-ass turbines over a pretty view any day.
>>
>>70326656
Also costs more and catches fire at times.

>the irony when a liberal solar city toxic lithium battery stores all catch flame and burns downs tons of surrounding vegetation.
>>
>>70326527
pretty sure they use those for backup power in server-farms and shit like that, not for daily charging and draining.
>>
>>70324698

Trump would not approve of Japs owning land in Murika
>>
>>70326209
People ARE investing a ton of money into the research.
They know that our future will be dependent on reliable and inexpensive methods of energy storage.

When a proper method is discovered, it'll launch a wave of technological advancement like we haven't seen in the last 30 years.
>>
>>70321123
Because, as is tradition, the Us has a stupid as fuck version of this that effectively eats the grid's surge buffer. No matter how much we produce, the grid would always have to get larger because people shove the power back in rather than properly contributing to the source.

To do what Germany does, basically all roofs have solar panels and the network for them is planned, they distribute power on the source side as a group. Ex, The solar panels on your house don't just power your house first then other shit. They all work together. then that power is managed intelligently in cooperation with the power plant and fuel cell storage facilities. In the US it is haphazard, any house with panels wants to be able to shove it in their outlet and force it back into the grid. A literally autistic view of how power works.

Basically it's totally different than what liberals in the US propose. And it would be a good model to follow since it is actually productive.
>>
>>70326613

Yes. And putting it in tanks, then burning it as needed
>>
>>70326598
>all those batteries recycled in mexico come from USA
and?....

>>70326598
>your country is 3rd world as well what you got like 40% unemployment so you shit post in your underware all day from home.

Yeah anon, real 3rd world country right here. Pic is list of world countries ranked by gdp per capita.
>>
>>70326765
Kills birds and if you add enough the net drag affects wind currents on a macro scale and thus affects the global climate. Also kills birds. Also still have to use toxic batteries.
>>
>>70326656
>a tech breakthrough is totally coming!
>my proof is a crap handheld or something no one even bought!
>>
>>70326368
Hear Tesla cars are getting popular hear and something about the government wanting a majority electric cars by 2030.
Still think it's unlikely barring some super materials for that constant drain/charge.
Then again, would probably have more luck for a super material to hold hydrogen properly and have hydrogen cars.
>>
>>70326498
Black and white pic xD
>>
>>70321123
A thorium reactor can do the same take 100 times less space, be reliable energy source 24/7 for 10 years without maintenance, have no way to fail and if somehow fail have completely passive way of protection. Also its made of common material unlike high power density batteries and solar panels which pollute when they are manufactured and in then in end of life disposed.
>>
File: iphone.jpg (45 KB, 786x521) Image search: [Google]
iphone.jpg
45 KB, 786x521
>>70326778
Oh, good news on that front, too. Solid state lithium is much less flammable than lithium ion.
>>
>>70325821
Batteries suck, turns out the best method of storing power is actually filling water towers during the day, and letting gravity make it turn turbines at night.

For real, it's super efficient and no waste like the batteries.
>>
>>70326878
>Extremely inefficient to create using electricity
>Dangerous to store
>Leaky as shit

yeah, real good solution there.
>>
>>70321123
And all I have to do is pay far more for a 30m2 apartment in a less developed area?

I can build a solar farm in the middle of nowhere and have it produce 1000 times the energy it consumes. That does not make it economically viable.
>>
>>70326613
Splitting water to oxygen and hydrogen, recombine them in a fuel cell to produce electricity.

Storing hydrogen is extremely tricky though, since in order for it to be feasible you need to have it in a liquid state which takes up much less volume than gaseous hydrogen. However Hydrogen is liquid below 33 kelvins.

So yeah.
>>
>>70326969
too bad it requires a lot of not so cheap infrastructure
>>
File: 1455654352383.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1455654352383.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>We must cut carbon emissions, because even though they contribute to cheap goods and services, Obama say they bad n shit
>We must buy solar panels
>We must buy lots of solar panels from China, who makes them in big dirty factories and give China more monies, who doesn't give a fuck about the global warming hoax and love seeing the west piss away its wealth to them, and all that wealth transfers through jew banks
>>
>>70326891
My Aryan brother, the handheld is used as proof that there's BEEN a tech breakthrough in batteries since the 90s and we're all already taking advantage of it.

There will be another one soon. Soon as in before 2020, and honestly it will probably enter mass production when some faggots like Apple or Tesla make it standardized.
>>
>>70326765
Whats the downside of dams?
>>
File: 1435504615816.png (10 KB, 429x399) Image search: [Google]
1435504615816.png
10 KB, 429x399
>>70326927
still believing in the Thorium meme...
>>
Theyre pretty useless if you dont have anywhere to store the energy
>>
>>70325231
They have a powersurplus after ten years and they alst for about 20 years. Also the tech gets better every year. But you are right for now it doesen`t make sense to buy solar panels.
>>
>>70326844
>wanting other people to control your solar panel, especially if you paid for it, or are responsible for damages to it, or anything of the sort.

If I pay for a solar panel, I want it to power my shit first, eat a dick. Also, even if the company pays for it, what, could I remove it at any time? What if I needed to remodel the home? Now my home isn't really my own?
>>
>>70327076

Global warming is a hoax invented by the Chinese
>>
>>70326911

Tesla is a Jew scam. The company will totally collapse and be lauded as some sort of pristine martyrdom by the Jew media.
>>
>>70326955
I hope so because solid lithium, like just a brick of lithium, is very dangerous.
>>
>>70321123
Because solar is shit, incredibly inefficient, gets rekt by dust, and only works during the day, when there aren't clouds, or any faggot within 20 miles has an umbrella.
>>
>>70326969
a quick check on wikipedia says hydroelectric storage is 70-80% efficient. Lithium ion is 80-90% efficient.

Nice try burger.
>>
>>70326844
The process of building solar panels requires a lot of heavy mining to acquire the materials and considering the rate at which we're progressing in the technology it'd be stupid to go ahead and invest 100% into it already.
Shouldn't you be at school? You sound like a bitter, overly optimistic, young teen.
>>
>>70327117
Is that afgani cum you are slurping Fritz?
>>
Because I live in fucking england you cunt
>>
>>70326886
am saying all those batteries have to go somewhere to be disposed of. when it rains in the town in tijuana with the battery plant orange foam runs down the streets. people all sick as fuck with all kinds of weird diseases. so take your irish battery powered beer mug and stick it up your arse sideways. battery loving scrum!
>>
>>70327181
Would rather a Mercedes Wolf of Land Rover Defender desu.
Hydrogen motorbikes look like fun though.
>>
>>70321123
I guess for the same reasons the Germans aren't.
>>
>>70327085
>faggots like Apple or Tesla carrying highly flammable batteries with them

I wonder if there would be a way to cause those iPhones to catch fire from some form of malware

And the Tesla cars will be Ford Pinto all over again
>>
>>70326986

>Extremely inefficient to create using electricity

Yeah, unlike using solar panels to charge batteries and then dump the batteries back into the grid, which is peak efficiency.

>Dangerous to store

If we can store fucking acetylene we can store hydrogen.

>Leaky as shit

A good thing about hydrogen is that it's lighter than nitrogen and oxygen, so if there's a leak, the gas just floats away.
>>
>>70321123
not enough direct sunlight up here
>>
>>70327096
take up a lot of land
>>
>>70327273
>am saying all those batteries have to go somewhere to be disposed of.
and they can be recycled cleanly if needed. If mexico wants to fuck up it's local environment to do it cheaper I could give a shit. So long as they aren't fucking up mine.
>>
>>70327345
>which is peak efficiency.
80-90% yeah. It's pretty good.

>If we can store fucking acetylene we can store hydrogen.
Expensively, yes.

>the gas just floats away.
Not so great if you want to use it though.
>>
>>70326805

I'm French. Also own a house with 6 hectares on a lake cove with a private beach in New Hampshire Staat.
>>
>>70327345
>If we can store fucking acetylene we can store hydrogen.
you know hydrogen is so fucking small it can leak through solid iron?
>>
File: image11-e1442676398770.jpg (65 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
image11-e1442676398770.jpg
65 KB, 800x536
>>70327342
Buddy you're not listening.

The next-gen solid state lithium batteries are NOT easily flammable the way existing lithium batteries are.

Organizations from MIT to Mitsubishi are spending billions developing them right now.
>>
>>70321513
> implying that isn't worth being self sustained
>>
>>70327422
insults just a joke btw am messing with you
>>
>>70327200
Probably the efforts to cost effectively create biofuel using solar energy is better. The fuels themselves are batteries, however fuel can spoil if not properly cared for, but decades of tech and infrastructure/vehicles exist for fossil fuels already.

No matter what, using energy dissipates more heat, everything tends towards entropy. If liberals really are so scared about climate change, they should kill themselves, that would save tons of energy.
>>
>>70327096
Expensive to build, can be expensive to maintain, location limited by geology, massive ecological damage (creating the reservoir), potential for catastrophic accident (very rare)

Probably some others but hey, overall they're breddygood for generating power
>>
>>70327133
That's why it won't work here. It has to be a program everybody pays into and everybody benefits from. There is no other way since being totally individual about it essentially means NOT designing a system but instead, taking power from wherever it happens to come up. This causes instability and forces the grid design to be an opportunistic adaptive design rather than an optimized design. The US Plan can inherently never be as efficient as the German one unless we take a different approach to funding it.

I'm no socialist, but everybody pays in, everybody accepts risk, and everybody benefits is a pretty fair plan especially since there is an effective model to copy. Just do what Germany did, hire their company as consultants, try it out in a town where their method applies. Boosh.
>>
File: dodo.jpg (15 KB, 342x321) Image search: [Google]
dodo.jpg
15 KB, 342x321
>>70321123
It doesn't matter. Anything Germans do is irrelevant if they are overrun by Africans.

Sage and hide all dodo posting
>>
>>70327096

Can trigger earthquakes if not surveyed properly, locations for viable dams limited, takes up lots of space, often generation not available near population centres increasing transmission loss.

http://journal.probeinternational.org/2011/06/01/chinese-study-reveals-three-gorges-dam-triggered-3000-earthquakes-numerous-landslides/
>>
>>70326887
Fuck the goddamn birds. Batteries will hopefully improve a lot in the coming centuries.
>>
>>70327342
LOL, tesla cars are about 1000x less fire prone than any ICE car.

There was only 3 fires ever, and none of them affected the cabin area. Everyone just walked away from the fire. And since then they made the battery even stronger, and there has been no fires since. Fire safety is actually a great reason to drive electric.
>>
>>70327096
Aside from destroying or at least massively disrupting upstream and downstream ecosystems, absolutely nothing. It's not really bad for places like northern Québec where nobody but a handful of drunk iceniggers live and ecosystems are vast enough to withstand and adapt to the disturbance, or barren wastelands like where the Hoover Dam was placed. But it's a disaster in places like the Three Gorges where millions were displaced.
>>
>>70321123
Its forbidden is Spain, electric companies losing too much cash you know.
>>
>>70327200
Li-ion is also prone to fire/failure and degradation over its relatively short lifespan.
>>
>>70327545
>Organizations from MIT to Mitsubishi are spending billions developing them right now.

and many countries are spending billions in africa

it proves nothing
>>
>>70327545
http://youtu.be/ojGaAGDVsCc

>crash in expensive eco car with solid lithium fragments exposed
>piece of lithium shrapnel enters you and begins to burn a hole where your kidney was
>firemen arrive and spray water all over your burning car
>lithium all catches flame
>yfw your burning corpse and lithium mining all added to "climate change" anyways.
>>
>>70327642
>No matter what, using energy dissipates more heat, everything tends towards entropy.
You say that as if it's a point of controversy.
>>
>>70327513

>80-90% yeah.

Bullshit. Especially when you consider the severe maintenance costs.

>Expensively, yes.

A tank is cheaper than a battery, especially when you consider energy capacity

>Not so great if you want to use it though.
>>70327536

In a properly constructed tank that isn't over pressure, leakage is negligible.
>>
>>70327259
It's a marshmallow.
>>
>>70327311

In Amerika I have a Quigley All Wheel war wagon van 7.3 I heavily modified to run on almost everything. Hemp oil for fuel is the true answer...ditch weed will grow anywhere and faster than anything save certain varieties of bamboo.
>>
>>70327680
Durkas will bomb and burn everything and Krauts will resort to burning their own shit for fuel just like the Dark Ages.
>>
>>70327877
Batteries can and in fact already have been improved.

Niggers can't be improved.
>>
>>70325031
that implies you can store the other half at 100% efficiency for half a year. not how it works, ivan
>>
>>70327117
>being part of the problem

Enjoy buying your power from France.
>>
>>70327545

>Solid lithium isn't flammable

You must have had a boring chemistry teacher.
>>
If this excess energy was actually weaponized and used to blast muslims, ayy lmaos and other stuff like that then it would be worth it but knowing hippies and leftists that are ruling western civilization it will be used to feed niggers or some other shit like that so I'm against it.
>>
>shutdown nuclear plants because of muh fukushima
>"We are going to replace it with sustainable energy!"
>start building coal plants everywhere
>"Hey look at this cool village!"
>>
>>70321123
sucks for them as now they'll be getting 4x the refugees to help use that energy
>>
>>70327658
Or do what we always have done, tell the producer to fuck off until the make what we want, and not change our wants to meet what the merchant is selling any given day. Eventually it will be effective enough for single home use, and for some people it is.

Though fyi, solar panels are often a risk, because sometimes it keeps your home electrified while firemen try to enter, many have been injured this way.
>>
>>70327654
You mention upstream but they also retain much of the silt that would otherwise go downstream, even with mitigation measures, which significantly affects the downstream ecosystem. And if the downstream area of a dam is an agrarian (as in non-mechanical) agricultural zone without some form of artificial nutrient supply, then it's no longer possible to grow anything of value after a few years because the dam prevents flooding, which is nature's way of depositing nutrients into the soil.
>>
>>70327895
>spray water
any good firebrigade would have it extinguished with sand.
>>
>>70321123

>Man buys four times as much food as he eats
>Why are we not buying four times as much food as we eat /pol?
>>
>>70327943
>tank that isn't over pressure
which means it stores less than a fart
>>
>>70327680
dodos are meme-machine geniuses and you're jealous
praise the dodo gods
>>
>>70325821
Batteries aren't really suited for cities.

>>70322052
You can do it with water and gravity but it's not feasible everywhere.
>>
>>70327981
We have so many snack bars (and requirements for disposal) I could run one of those through filtered vegetable oil and only ever have to buy filters.
>>
>>70327753
You also realize as the energy travels in the wires and as it enters the batteries; it is releasing heat. Oops global warming.
>>
The jelly /pol/tard comments in this thread are hilarious. Keep hating morons, while we sit back and enjoy our free energy.
>>
>>70328155
>any good firebrigade would have it extinguished with sand.
foam is better
the main issue is probably lack of indicators of cars being electric/hybrid
>>
>>70327943
>Especially when you consider the severe maintenance costs.
That does not affect the efficiency rate you fucking burger.

>A tank is cheaper than a battery, especially when you consider energy capacity
Prove it
>>
You could also use compressed air to store energy but that's extremely inefficent.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 600x867) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 600x867
>>70327929
Liberals just need to realise the end point of their philosophy, which is suicide for some "greater good" which is ironic considering how many are athiest, yet don't know they are not so different from ancient peoples who worshipped nature gods.
>>
>>70328258
You do realize, when you exhale it releases heat?
#oopsglobalwarming
>>
>>70328258

The Jew controlled hedge funds have wrecked and vanity sued anyone making headway with low conversion loss distribution wire into non-existance.
>>
File: 1457808168569.jpg (82 KB, 980x653) Image search: [Google]
1457808168569.jpg
82 KB, 980x653
>>70321123
Can someone please photoshop the picture in the OP to include the creepy smiling rapefugee in my attached image? Thanks
>>
>>70328108
>I wonder what they'll repurpose all that lithium for when they get their hands on it from a govt warehouse.
>>
>>70328207

It depends on the design of the tank. What I mean is that you just can't fill it up greater than it was designed for.
>>
>>70328319
>free
the idiocracy of solar panels is fuelled by a policy supporting a failed solar panel company in germany. all consumers pay for ot. except some large companies. it's not free.
>>
>>70328155
>be german
>over run with sand niggers
>dying in burning lithium progressive car
>get blasted with literal sand
>than the god of progressive martyrdom for the chance to honor him as the sand melts the skin of your face.
>tossed into open grave to fertilize the earth
>>
>>70321123
NUCLEAR
U
C
L
E
A
R
>>
>>70321123
>It's a rural town.
Yep. Rural towns can pull it off. Rural towns aren't the hypothetical problem, though.
>>
>>70325794
Like the White House.
>>
>>70328258
Why is that different from other sources of energy production?
>>
>>70328369

Not if used to merely overcome inertia in road vehicles....it is how titan diesels are started.
>>
>>70328413
Exactly so
>>70328398
>>
>>70328469
that's a cut refugee child
>>
>>70328448
Dont worry goyim, you can get a good loan to buy a solar panel system! Low interest! Or you could do as Germany does, and have your city/state take out the loan, your kids can handle the payments don't worry.
>>
>>70328617

They will be to the city states controlled media when the insurrection occurs and the food stops flowing.
>>
>>70328611
>britain
>new chineese reactor
>proud of it
horray..
>>
>>70321123
>So /pol/, for which reason we are not all buying solar panels?
Nuclear power is better.
>>
>>70328629
But now you're talking about hybrid pneumatic-combustion.

Pure pneumatic (compressed air) is very inefficient.
But it's relatively simple and cheap, if all energy from powerplants was 100% "green" it would be fine

Nuclear power is still king and Germany is idiotic for closing their powerplants.
>>
>>70328627
The other ones are cheap enough; and clean enough that I don't fuck up my cost of living or nation's finances just to endulge in the theories of bleeding heart liberals. Clean coal, natural gas, dams (where the situation is ideal only), nuclear power, and gasoline. Solar needs more time to develop; once it does then its fine. But I wont pay double for it just to feel warm and fuzzle inside.
>>
>>70321123
With one nuclear power plant, I propose third and fourth gen to use spent fuel rod waste we can produce 230-300 mega Watts of power. With one solar plant we get around 20 mega Watts. Why can't solar fags into math?
>>
>>70328717

All my panels were new installs from failed businesses. Drove my transport thousands miles of km to pick them up for pennies on the pound from the dismantlers. Cash for them solar stash for me.
>>
>>70328992
Good for you, thats not something everyone can do.
>>
>>70325690
>You actually can store electricity using a water pump

This sounds all fine and easy until you realize that the pumped water storage is a bidirectional hydroelectric dam and not just a tiny pond on the top of a hill.

If you want to renewables at large scales you're going to need multiple gigawatt class hydroelectric dams with huge reserviours. And the (gigawatt class pumps) that top them up during nice weather have to have an infallible reserviour to pump from. Meaning that you need an elevated lake next to an ocean or next to a not elevated lake.

Don't forget to consider that dam failures are extremely dangerous and responsible for the worst energy disaster ever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam
>>
File: SolarGIS-Solar-map-World-map-en.png (705 KB, 1500x739) Image search: [Google]
SolarGIS-Solar-map-World-map-en.png
705 KB, 1500x739
>>70321123
Daily reminder that Germany is literally one of the worst places on the planet to do solar stuff.
>>
>>70328990
We can. But no one wants to build nuclear. I rage about it, but it's a reality.
>>
File: gAky2.jpg (16 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
gAky2.jpg
16 KB, 500x300
>>70326209
Batteries catch fire really easily with the latest tech. Even elon musk doesn't have an answer for this. Him and his team have been doing everything from building super capacitors to nano battery arrays. Batteries have reach technical maturity plan and simple, they wont solve this problem in time.
>>
>>70328990
muh chernobyl
>>
LOL
People here actually fell for the "solar power is good for the environment" meme!

Toxic non-recyclable batteries which need to be replace every 3 years.

Low energy in the winter, when you would need it most.
>>
File: 04.jpg (30 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
30 KB, 500x347
>>70326304
O'Malley there has a point. I used to work as a chemical engineer for a paint manufacturer and I visited a plant down Meh-He-Coe way once. it was disgusting. They have no regard for human life down there. The strict safety standards set by our company, and followed by all the American plants, were completely disregarded there. I shut the plant down until our inspectors could come in. The quality of our paint suffered because of their laziness, carelessness....I don't even know what to call it. They're just the worst. Anyway they lost the contract to manufacture our paint, another shitty Mexican't factory got the contract and they sucked as well. Long story short, it became cheaper to make our paint in the deep south; Mississippi, not Chile. Get your shit together Mexico. You suck.
t. Angry Ron Paul Supporter
>>
>>70328990
Oh so you can build a powerplant on top of your house. Tell me more.
>>
>Men support continued use of nuclear power by 54% to 37%, but women oppose it by 57% to 25%.

Women's suffrage was a mistake
>>
>>70329768
By the way, don't get your panties in a bunch fags, I'm not wasting my vote. Trump 2016 MAGA
>>
>>70329823
Are you so certain we won't figure it out one day?
>>
>>70321123
IT FUCKING MOMENTARILY PRODUCES DUMP FUCKING LEFTIST BRAINDEAD LEFTOVERS!!!!

It does not and CANNOT produce electricity other consistently and needs a coal/nuclear etc plant to surplant for the moments(most of time) when it in fact cannot produce enough energy.
>>
>>70321123
Jews keep the price high so that the world will continue to depend on fossil fuels until the last drop is depleted.
>>
>>70329736
And you know everyone and their mothers is tossing these batteries in the trash with everything else..along with stupid fucking mercury laden flourescent light bulbs, which liberals had the government subsidize to make cheaper.

Flourescent light bulbs are a good example of liberals making us do stupid shit because they couldn't wait for a proper solution, in fact, cheap fluorescents probably have only made LED adoption and development take longer.

I wonder exactly how much mercury has been thrown all over US soil just to line the pockets of Al Gore.
>>
this only produces totally clean unlimited energy most of the time.
>>
>>70329918
I've actually asked a few women in the past why they think nuclear power is a bad thing.
All of them think a nuclear power plant can explode like a nuclear bomb.
You cannot correct them because their friend told them and their friend knows better.

The ride never ends!
Good news though, we're on sale by AH next week. http://www.ah.nl/bonus/week/15?groupId=wi211047
>>
>>70326166
If you dont see how this is an early proof of principle you're a fucking moron. Solar power used to be this boondoggle retarded tech that would never even be remotely pragmatic and that would shatter and break from a mild wind...

Made huge leaps in the past few decades and will continue to
>>
>>70329823
its not THAT absurd. We were already able to built rather small nuclear reactors (meant to power planes and vehicles) in the 70s.

If we wouldnt have gone "oh noe that technology has RISKS! SHUT IT DOWN!" and instead created a market that encourages advancing that technology we might already have small modular and safe reactors for personal use.
>>
>>70330240
It's also stupid when they mention Chernobyl because that kind of reactor was only ever in use by the USSR and is no longer used.

Chernobyl is not even a dead zone, it's a de facto wildlife preserve
>>
>>70321123
When its not sunny they are using just as much coal and gas as everywhere else
>>
>>70330439
chernobyl was also intentional
>>
>>70330112

Sort of like how now you can't buy a fucking gas can with an air vent anymore to "prevent gas from evaporating"

Cause having to replace my fucking gas can every couple of years when the stupid nozzle contraption breaks again is really helping the environment.
>>
>>70330166
Totally clean energy would be magic. Absolutely zero heat generated durinng use or mining for special metals.
>>
>>70330439
Chernobyl ruined it for everyone. We'd be in nuclear paradise if not for that fuck up.
>>
>>70321123
All the Muslims will be pleased
>>
>>70329823
You do understand how power distribution works right? If produce a million volts @ 1 amp I can down step the voltage 480 @ hundreds of amp so you can use it in your house. Why would anyone want to buy the equipment to upstep and rectify solar to use it in their home? It won't make power any cheaper. I will just have the same effect as the cable companies have done with out internet. Less for more! Fuck off and buy our bigger plan if you are a "power user."
>>
>>70330439
USSR means nothing anymore.
Even modern communists try ti distance themselves.
Try to explain it was due to shitty construction, corruption, rushed and underfunded materials and workers with little oversight and it's all the fault of ebil nuclears.
Hard not to give up explaining desu.

More than just a wildlife preserve though, Chernobyl now boasts more wildlife than reserves never effected by similar disasters.
Highest red tail deer count in the world if I remember correctly.
>>
>>70330166

Yeah, all those gigantic swaths of permanently ruined land from mining the semi-rare metals that let solar panels work with any degree of efficiency is super clean and unlimited
>>
>>70330616
heat is not dirty. It radiates out into space. That's why it get's cold at night.

Though I expect this level of science to be beyond the comprehension of most burgers.
>>
>>70326166
If you dont see how this is an early proof of principle you're a fucking moron. Solar power used to be this boondoggle retarded tech that would never even be remotely pragmatic and that would shatter and break from a mild wind...

Made huge leaps in the past few decades and will continue to
>>
a terrorist could hijack those panels and shine lights in someones eyes. Then we all got to go to the eye doctor.
>>
>>70321123
I have a SSW facing roof, but here I'd have to wait for cheaper more efficient photovoltaic panels. By 2025 it might be worth doing.
>>
>>70329918
That bothers me because it's then not liking it because nuclear is a scary word.
>>
>>70321123
>All the residents live like nomads
>It's great!!
>>
>>70321123
because i want to have power at night
>>
Oh you know what though I did forget about something else I read about that was promising.

Instead of using mirror fields to feed solar panels, use them to heat up a rock or lump of salt, then spray water on it to make steam

With the proper materials (IE, low thermal conductivity) you solve the problem of demand and supply not linking up
>>
>>70330689
>>70330653
Best thing of all, 14 years after the disaster the Chernobyl power plant (Unit 3) was still running.

In 2000 it got closed for no reason other than muh Chernobyl and they replaced it with a coal plant.

Nuclear power plants can survive a disaster and still operate.
Meanwhile 1 good hailstorm will completely destroy any solar panel
>>
File: 1_4.jpg (2 MB, 3300x2200) Image search: [Google]
1_4.jpg
2 MB, 3300x2200
>>70321123
Because Anglos are capitalcucks. Keep in mind Germany is accomplishing this with the solar incidence of FUCKING ALASKA, which the vast majority of America beats into a mudhole.
>>
>>70322052
>Green zealotry
I am in love with this term.
>>
>solar cucks celebrating power to some town in bumblefuck nowhere
>still protesting nuclear and restricting research to it
>>
>>70331231
One of many things that just brings frustration.
Bring in a NatSoc dictator that works on logic and reason over 'muh fee fees' and all will be made better.
>>
>>70331485
>Nuke shills still incessantly posting on /pol/
U mad you can't commodify the sun, you little bitches?
>>
>>70331709
>shill so much you get gov handouts for research into a shit tier power source and restrict research to a god tier one
>T-the nuke guys are the ones shilling so much!!!
>>
>>70331709
>doesn't want to harness the power of the STARS
It's like you want humanity to stay plebian
>>
>>70331066
Just turn it so it faces SJW , the glow of "enlightment" shall power your home
>this cuck shed is proudly powered by BBC
>>
>build nuclear power plant on a few acers of land.
>provide power for ages and multiple cities.
>cover an entire city with solar panels
>"look we are self sufficient!!!"

When will this solar meme end?
>>
>produces more energy than it consumes
>good
lol go back to school kids
>>
>>70326787
And, like every other product made by tesla, it still isn't selling enough to break even.
>>
>>70332659
Then if they go out of business all tesla owners are fucked, its all closed source and requires tesla to help if something breaks, no big parts available or open source software for the computer.
>>
>>70332659
Got any of them papers?
>>
>>70325654
>If you're going to do solar, do it right
Actually solar panels on houses in hot areas is right. peak energy demand is for conditioning and solar panels provide 'free' energy for that.
>>
>>70333608
Depends, who you want to trick because they know fuck all about how offshore banking and corporations work.

>>70333600
Well, then hope the 3 is a bigger success than the S and the rest. And keep 3000-5000 around for changing the batteries every four to five years.
>>
>>70333865
Or just be disconnected from the grid and design your house around that. An uncle of mine design his house as a thermal, photovoltaic hybrid, and the house is warm/cool at the appropriate times of the year. Most if not all, his stuff is non electronic or hyper-efficient, but as long as you accept that, it's a pretty comfy house in the middle of nowhere.

Issue is the retards thinking they can just plug into a solar panel and keep their shit homes the same.
>>
>>70325493

Suzie?
>>
>>70321123
You will pay more for installing and storing that energy during non-sunny days than you will pay until end of your life for electricity. That being the main reason.
>>
>>70326224

They're only worse when you treat batteries as "disposable". God forbid you finish 6th grade science and understand that.
>>
File: bad gholam.jpg (38 KB, 183x232) Image search: [Google]
bad gholam.jpg
38 KB, 183x232
>>70321123
YA WAYYLY
>>
>>70325493
This is why I avoid women who wear a lot of makeup.
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.