[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any candidate that is agressively pro-space travel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: 1459983700516.jpg (223 KB, 1280x1338) Image search: [Google]
1459983700516.jpg
223 KB, 1280x1338
Is there any candidate that is agressively pro-space travel? I was a kid when Apollo 11 occured and that is what I consider America being 'Great' and leading humanity into the future. I couldn't really give a shit about the other stuff, but does anyone really have the balls to bring back that kind of glory?

I want to be proud of my country for tangible reasons, not based on some presumptions of being best because of freedom or democracy. I want Americans to walk the stars and touch the face of god, again.

Basically, who best characterizes Manifest Destiny?
>>
donald trump has promised to make space great again
>>
>>70303397
Really? When?
>>
We should meme a /pol/ack into presidency.
>>
>>70303330

Shaun King needs to be castrated.
>>
File: 1457328375901.jpg (192 KB, 1134x705) Image search: [Google]
1457328375901.jpg
192 KB, 1134x705
OP, I don't think your question is going to get you many replies, but I'll give you a counter question: how do you see space colonization pan out over say, the next 500 years?

Is it done govermentally or commercially?

Is it a peaceful division or a landgrab?

Do we keep the planets the way they are or go straight into terraforming?
>>
>>70303471
I thought the whole point was that we're the radical portion of the silent majprity, not its face.
>>
File: 1443811812420.jpg (61 KB, 484x602) Image search: [Google]
1443811812420.jpg
61 KB, 484x602
>Racial-Psychosexual High

Sounds fucking awesome

>Every white man has a collective orgasm when we set foot on the moon, discovered the Atom Bomb, genocided the Natives, colonized Africa, made the East our bitches

If that worked, know my penis, white men would be achieving a great feat every other week.
>>
>we would have been back to the Moon by now and going on a Mars expedition had Obongo not shelved the Constellation project
>>
>>70303541
a land grab is in line with our basic nature. the prohibited nature of claiming land on the moon aND Mars is holding back humanit in the same manner as patent laws
>>
>>70303541
I would look back at history for that. Explorers are often private entities supported by governments. Sure landing on a distant shore is great, but planting a flag is the best part.

I want to see America lead the world again. The long term details can be worked out only if we make the leap first. Everyone is so risk-averse it just seems like we may as well never leave the hoyse these days.
>>
>>70303541
Not OP, but here are my opinions:

>Governmentally, but for corporate interests
>Land-grab
>We strip-mine, then terraform if it makes economic sense in the near-term (within 30 years)

30 years is being really fucking optimistic.
>>
File: 1452419481287.jpg (2 MB, 5178x2912) Image search: [Google]
1452419481287.jpg
2 MB, 5178x2912
>>70303654
So riddle me this. The states sends a hypothetical crew of 100 to the moon, sets up a small but permanent settlement, and claims the moon for America.

Do you really think the rest of the world would care /fight them for it?
>>
File: 1458974241318.webm (3 MB, 642x600) Image search: [Google]
1458974241318.webm
3 MB, 642x600
Id actually like to hear what Trump has in mind for NASA. Obama totally fucked them over.

Send him a tweet.
>>
File: 1452418029072.jpg (524 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452418029072.jpg
524 KB, 1920x1080
>>70303744
Personally, I think it will start with asteroid mining. The resource extraction potential is yuge (I recall an asteroid being worth about $300B) and it would push lander and spacecraft tech into the hands of industry, which we all know when there's mad cash to be made, the tech will evolve so rapidly.
>>
>>70303857

It's give and take with NASA... although somewhat troubled in space currently - they did get a massive boost to their aeronautics budget.

A shame nobody cares about stuff like this anymore. Kind of makes me wish there was still a cold war of some sort. Great things got done, even if it was just for showmanship.
>>
>>70303752
China sends a crew of 150 to the other side of the moon 5 years later, sets up a somewhat larger permanent settlement, and claims half of the moon for China.

Do you think the US would fight them for it?

It'll just be a war of words and 'sanctions' until real, immediate money is at stake
>>
>>70303744
If we achieve clinical immortality I could see long-term expansion working out. But, extra-solar travel would be robots only if we can't get that far.

In regards to mining, I have heard that we have less than a century of rare earth metals remaining. If we run out, modern electronic tech is gonna collapse, yet no one talks about it because oil is more pressing. Though single asteroids could provide us generations of resources.

I just don't see the appeal of colonization. What does Mars have that would be worth the effort of transforming the whole planet? Novelty?
>>
>>70303940
>settling the dark side of the moon what are you, mad?

I think you got it bang on with what you said. Although it would be pretty funny if the states rolled up in the buggy and blew a hole or two in the Chinese settlement. Just something to drain the air... So vulnerable.
>>
>>70303946
It's another basket man. According to multiple sources (a Dan Brown book and some articles I read lmao) the earth comfortably holds 4billion. Since we are only growing and India and Africa are doing nothing to curve their population, we need a place to put the people.
>>
>>70303946
Imo the whole rare earths running out is overblown. It's not that the resources aren't there, it's that few nations have the stomach to extract and refine it in their backyard

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth

True, we would probably only ever attempt to terraform if our hand is absolutely forced. There just doesn't seem to be any profit motive for it.
>>
>>70303330
>believes America ever went to the moon
>>70296897
Get educated sheep
>>
>>70304162
So is it easier to restructure society to be sustainable or constantly expand ro accommodate growth? At a certain point, jumping millions ir billions of people is just unfeasible. Perhaps a select portion of the population could inhabit other worlds while Earth festers. Either way, I still want to have the option of leaving.
>>
File: url67.jpg (176 KB, 1200x1050) Image search: [Google]
url67.jpg
176 KB, 1200x1050
>>70303330

To be fair, State Capitalism will take China to the moon fairly soon etc etc. They do not give a shit about politics like we do and just do the most scientific thing. Most of them in the politburo are engineer PHDs anyways.
>>
>>70303437
He basically says that he loves NASA and what it stands for, and that he wants to get it going again, but he wants to focus on rebuilding the infrastructure and other more important issues first. Use Google
>>
File: apologize.png (506 KB, 486x770) Image search: [Google]
apologize.png
506 KB, 486x770
Trump said at is Alabama rally that the NASA budget would be the only one not to be targeted for cuts
>>
Space exploration is a waste of time and money. There's nothing there. Let NASA have their fun with their telescopes or whatever, they don't cost very much.
>>
>>70304344
I'm literally saying it's easier to colonize Mars then it is to tell two billion niggers and shitskins to stop fucking.
>>
Newt Gingrich wants a moon base.

If he is VP pick, he may be able to convince the nominee to add it to their platform.
>>
>>70304508
I believe you, but is his rise really going to be the kick in the ass needed, or will his maverick attitude prevent real change? I just want to know that he's not just a reactionary but has a plan for the country.

I know people are pissed off, but being angry and using that discontentment to progress are two different areas.
>>
>>70304652
I'm only in support if it has a big laser turret on the top

If so I am in
>>
Explain to me why we should even go to space before we finished colonising the sea.
>>
>>70304778
and we'll call it the "death star"
>>
>>70304943
>Space is fucking cool

>water is dirty

>fish look weird

>ayy lmao

>Uranus

>think of all the space memes

>oceans r gay as fuck because everyone has one and we can't use our space privelige

>need more reasons?
>>
>>70304943
Not sexy enough. Outer space is sexy. You'd have to explain to people why exploring the deep sea is a huge challenge.
>>
>>70305090
But sea = bikinis.

Can space top that?
>>
>>70304279
This.
>>
>>70305090
>it's challenging so we should do it

Dumbest reason ever. Our experience with colonising the sea floor will only help our endeavours in space.
>>
>>70305159
Sex sells but the sea smells.
>>
>>70305181
Yeah but that's not how meme magic works.
>>
>>70304589

The reason the dinosaurs aren't around is because they didn't have a space program. It's one thing capitalism can't solve.... An asteroid impact.

That shit will exterminate with no prejudice. If we don't have a viable space program we might be gone in 1,000 years.
>>
>SpaceX is working on reusable rockets
>So is Blue Origin
>Russia's plans to build a moon base within 15 years will probably kick-start NASA back into high gear
I think trips to space are going to get more common here pretty quick.
>>
>>70305322
>memeX
>by DUDE! TESLA! LMAO!
>>
>>70305322
Trips to space sponsored by these dubs
>>
>>70305203
Explain pussy then.
>>
>>70304279
>red pill
I think OP will commit suicde before he accepts it

Kidding aside, OP is a shill just doing more brainwashing should anyone start to question the moon landing hoaxes.
>>
>>70304589
You can develop anti asteroid protocol without having a soul above the atmosphere. We already have shit that find the meteors and figure out the trajectory, just figure out which ones might hit us and then shoot a ton of nukes at them. It's not hard
>>
>>70306307
We've only cataloged something like 1 percent of the Near Earth Objects.

Also nuclear warheads will basically be useless against an asteroid, the best you could do is either turn it into a fragmented asteroid if you're lucky, and if you're unlucky the asteroid could basically be a loosely held together ball of gravel which will for the most part entirely disregard the nuke going off in its face.

The best idea is to have more satellites scanning the skies for anything in the solar system that could swing near us and then place a gravity tractor to pull it off course.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.