[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Living in a van
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: innavan.png (319 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
innavan.png
319 KB, 500x333
A apartment room on wheels. Seems like a good alternative to spending a good chunk of the money you make living in an apartment.

People in my generation, the ones who don't get super successful jobs that is, need to find ways to live comfortably with our limited incomes.

How many of us live with our folks? Or in an apartment with many room mates?
>>
>>70279512
good home until a nigger steals it
>>
>>70279512
Just get a trailer home if you are that poor.
>>
If you live on the West Coast/South West it's probably pretty cool. The density of National Parks, major cities, and varied terrain geography mean you can be in the desert one night and a redwood forest the next.

Downside is you have to deal with people that live in the west.

Personally I think a bus is the best option, lots of space and still pretty cheap. Plus you can actually entertain guests in it.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/school-bus-to-modern-mobile-cabin/
>>
>>70279512
Vans don't have loos, where would you poo.
>>
>>70280939
24 hour fitness centers, same place to get showers.
>>
>>70280033
>not just parking it outside of walmarts and gas stations
It's great for one man road trips
>>
>>70281015
>paying a fee instead of using the rec center for free
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o
>>
>>70280939

McDonalds
>>
>>70281015
That sounds fucking disgusting
>>
>>70281456

Not as disgusting as participating in the housing market.
>>
File: CB2gAMMUEAABB6E.jpg (31 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
CB2gAMMUEAABB6E.jpg
31 KB, 600x400
>>70279512
It's a fun idea. I have had a weird van fantasy for a long time, but I don't think the numbers work usually.

I was pretty fucking poor when I first started developing the idea, something of an idea of possible nessesity. I was barely getting by and on the path to "dropping out" so the van thing fit.

Now I have a comfy job as an investment advisor, own a home, and am generally going ok. Still, the van idea rattles in the back of my head.

Here is the issue. You have costs, some of which are unpredictable, and you have a all kinds of time consuming challanges. When you add those costs and time costs together they add up to a cheap studio apartment.

Still it's a fun idea, I don't have the space for van work right now but if I could work it out I would defiantly put together a hobo hobby van.

Not that I advocate such things, but beleive it or not their is a pretty good subreddit on this topic. I don't surf reddit, but if you start looking into van living you will end up there. Many of them who have done it describe it as something of a living hell, fwiw
>>
Maybe one of those VW camper vans would be cozy… (In a warm place)
>>
>>70279512
but where do you shower/shit?
>>
File: 1456620318189.png (460 KB, 979x735) Image search: [Google]
1456620318189.png
460 KB, 979x735
>too bad these things are expensive as hell.
>>
>>70279512
Just live with your family.

Geez what's wrong with whites?
>>
>>70281965
listen here you kangaroo fucking faggot, you GTFO of my internet right now. yes its mine i am america, i made it now GTFO.
>>
>>70281821
Are these real? Got a link??
>>
>>70281354
I used to live in a van, an old vw camper. Not too huge, but surprising amount of space before I had a kid. People used that chris farley bit on me all the time. Good times.

Anyway, it becomes expensive to do this op.
Machines break down. Learn to be a mechanic for your machine bumper to bumper. You might be surprised what you can learn. Also keep this in mind when purchasing a machine. You want something you can work on, and that there are parts/literature for. VWs have many a forum, you could rebuild the thing with that much info.

anyway, you most likely have to rotate out sleeping places. No matter which van, they draw attention, at least subliminally, for some reason. You will be noticed. Wal-marts have a rule for allowing certain amount of overnight parking etc, there are places, you much learn how to use them.

Keep your plates current, registration, all that. Seriously, you might be surprised to see how much of a hard time some towns will give you. I came home to the sheriffs office taking pictures of my home, trying to get in.

Thing is, I actually had a decent job at the time. I was clean cut, had my shit together. But I was harassed almost everywhere outside campgrounds.

It can be done, you just have to be smart about it.
>>
>>70279512
I will be living out my van in San Sanfransico. Hope the liberals won't arrest me for being a thought criminal, good luck
>>
>>70281737
The general idea is you shit in public places and/ or at work.

Many vanfags advocate a gym membership for showering, but their are other ways. Campsites, truck stops, ect. Many workplaces have shower facilities as well, even white collar places often have locker rooms with shower facilities.

If your van is large enough, like a high top cargo van, you could also install an rv shitter/shower combo. You might be suprised how compact they can be. But now you have to contend with a fresh water system, grey water, and sewage dumping/ cleaning so this adds upfront and ongoing cost.
>>
>>70282102
I was referring to RVs in general, not that one in particular..

That said, there are small RVs and 'tiny houses' that are available.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/escape-vista-tiny-house-on-wheels-for-under-40k/
>>
>>70279512
It's very doable in college or in your 20's. You can live rent free in college with just a parking pass. You can shower in the campus gym, study in the library until 1 or 2 am, get a meal plan if you want. Housing is by far your biggest expense when you're 18-29.
>>
>>70280939
You put in a septic tank like a caravan.
>>
>>70281821
That looks comfy as fuck.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.