[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about Doing Comp Sci 101
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1458352950895.jpg (674 KB, 1920x1286) Image search: [Google]
1458352950895.jpg
674 KB, 1920x1286
be a sociology/education major
Want to be either a teacher or a cop
Have to take non-major courses because liberal arts uni
Is comp sci worth it?
It only covers python.

Wat do?

>inb4 SJW humanities major
>Falling for the STEM meme
>>
take formal logic, all programming languages BTFO
>>
Worth it for what? You will never use it in either of your chosen fields, nor will you ever get a job using it if it's the only language you know.

Take it if you think it's interesting.
>>
>>70163015
Python not too bad, its easy and useful. But for what you'll be doing after school you'll most likely never need to use it. Also don't be like "I LEARNT PYTHON" you lean concepts of python and programming, they don't make you fluent in the language itself.
>>
>>70163781
I already did some python work in high school. I wasn't too bad, and it was fun, but a little boring after a while. It's just I don't wanna take SJW tier shit like "Race, Power, Islam" or some shit
>>
>>70163015
>be a sociology/education major
cs is too good for the likes of you
>>
>>70163015
If you want to teach little kids python is perfect to use my old school is starting anext after school coding group for the elementary students along with a mathletes thing and python codes in a way that if you read out what you put in it sounds like only slightly broken English much easier for kids to grasp but again that's for if you want to teach and help in a program like that not everyone's cup of tea but just my perspective.
>>
>>70163962
Avoiding that bullshit is reason enough to take the programming class.
>>
>>70163015
Last I checked, Python and R are the two go to languages for mathematical based programming. It's worth doing.
>>
File: test.png (17 KB, 531x356) Image search: [Google]
test.png
17 KB, 531x356
>>70163015
Look all you are going to learn is the basics of coding and possibly OO design. If you wan't to learn something neat go ahead, but if it is the Basic CS 101 class don't expect much.
>>
>>70163015

Worth it for what, you won't be doing dick in comp sci 101 that pertains to actually being a functioning programmer.

When you take 3-4 semesters worth, then you can actually ground yourself in interesting stuff.

However, you could probably do even better for yourself by just learning programming on your own if you have the discipline for it.
>>
>>70165012
worth it as in it won't kill my GPA and isn't mind numbingly boring. I'm not looking to use it in the professional world.
>>
My first comp sci class started out 40 students ended up 5. Just saying.
>>
>>70166298
fuck mayne, thas scary
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.