[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>going to college means you're educated This meme needs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 600x479
>going to college means you're educated

This meme needs to die. Anyone with half a brain can educate themselves for free with a library card and access to the Internet. The only reason anyone goes to college is to qualify them for the workplace.

Will we ever get to a point where employers no longer require expensive and useless college degrees?

>inb4 NEET
I'm gainfully employed with 2 Master's degrees. Only thing it taught me is that degrees are only useful on getting you promotions. Everything I learned I learned through my own research and trial and error while employed
>>
>Anyone with half a brain can educate themselves for free with a library card and access to the Internet

What is an employer going to say, "Oh, I see you've studied various subjects on the internet, just print out a copy of your internet history and we'll get you started on Monday"
>>
I would agree. I'm in college now and I have to teach myself more than half of the time because the profs won't teach. Unless the libs stop shilling free college and the like, no the "importance" of the college degree won't go away.
>>
>>70077207
>not being self employed

lol
>>
>>70077207
Perhaps they can construct some kind of simulation or test that will force you prove that you know what you're doing. Or a project of some kind.
>>
>>70077047
>>70077207

educated=/=KNAWLIDJ
>>
>>70077047
I make 60k a year as a dog groomer and I'm only 23.

Suck a dick STEM fags.
>>
I went to a few colleges (transfer) most of the people were stupid including the professors. Some really great professors but they really are rare. The standards have been lowered to a high school level at most universities and the main focus has become making money and pushing a political agenda
>>
>>70077304
do you make katanas for a living?
>>
>>70077471

Well, you know what they say;

Those who can't do become teachers.
>>
>>70077365
>60k
>a lot of money
>>
>>70077047
>I learned everything there is to know about neuralscience on the internet. Just trust me with this brain surgery bro!
>>
>>70077605
...and those who can't teach, teach gym
>>
>>70077658
Median income in my state is 35k.
>>
File: bale.jpg (13 KB, 255x242) Image search: [Google]
bale.jpg
13 KB, 255x242
>>70077047
Check out these quints

Trump 2016
>>
>>70077732
Enjoy it while it lasts then I guess. Good on ya.
>>
>>70077047
Undergrad education isn't about you, kiddo. It's about parents who want to send their children to an adult daycare for 4 years so they can get a break.
>>
>>70077317
You just described college you stupid fucking asshole
>>
>>70077047
Yup. Going to college only means you're indoctrinated and a conformist.
>>
>>70077047
>I'm gainfully employed with 2 Master's degrees

No you're not
>>
>>70077047
Yeah college is a big meme man but I'm going for the same reason everyone else does: career opprotunity.

That's the thing people need to realize. Academia is dying pretty hard.
>>
File: Dunce-cap-in-corner.jpg (37 KB, 400x447) Image search: [Google]
Dunce-cap-in-corner.jpg
37 KB, 400x447
>>70077883
t. uneducated retard
>>
>>70077917
MPH and MBA, I do healthcare and financial analytics for a large hospital and healthcare network. Get fucked, gypsy.
>>
File: 1457751055751.png (349 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
1457751055751.png
349 KB, 521x521
>>70077766
>>
>>70077207
>just print out a copy of your internet history

I might as well show up with tattoos and piercings all over my face., shieeeet.
>>
File: 23l-ww3.jpg (265 KB, 982x1280) Image search: [Google]
23l-ww3.jpg
265 KB, 982x1280
>tfw fearful of graduating because meme degree
as op says even getting a degree is a meme because if you aren't a post grad you might as well fuck off.
>>
>>70077047

This and

>>70077304

this,

College is for wage cucks and idiots (same thing). It is the second biggest scam ever perpetrated after organized religion.
>>
As an employer, I won't hire someone without at least a bs

Fact is, uneducated people tend to be lazy/stupid/incompetent and I end up having to fire them within 6 months if I hire them.

A 4-year degree at least shows me you've got the brains to stick with an academic program for four years.
>>
File: 1459905811490.jpg (75 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459905811490.jpg
75 KB, 640x640
>>70077047
I'm Hauptschule with 3,0 and working on Realschule right know ...... low and middle school after that high school and after that the university I'm 21 right now and finished with uni with 30 :^) useful member of society I would say huehuehuehue
>>
>>70078509
Is 4 years of women studies ok too my friend :)?
>>
>>70078509
>>70078642
this?
>>
>>70078106
No, you're not. Stop.
>>
>>70078642
I would never hire anyone with a SJW degree. It's asking for a lawsuit.
>>
>>70078743
SJW degree?? What's that supposed to mean?? I can have you fired for discrimination you bigot!
>>
>>70078642
>>70078691

No

I don't hire people with BAs only BSs
>>
>>70078895
No you can't. You can just make up a vague reason for not offering the job, like we found better qualified applicants.
>>
>>70078509
Kek, would you hire me?

No degree, 5 years professional experience as a Linux Systems engineer. I make 110k a year.

Suck shit. I'm probably taking the bait, but if you only hire based on degrees then you suck at interviewing people.
>>
File: gwh.png (303 KB, 279x401) Image search: [Google]
gwh.png
303 KB, 279x401
>>70077047

A college degree makes you little more than a certified Yes Man that's conditioned to putting up with chronic information overload. Another perfect cog to go right into the ever expanding machine. Smart enough to do their assigned duties, yet just dumb enough to passively and ignorantly accept their mediocre existence, these college-cucks are a dime a dozen.

Go trade school, or become self-employed. Or go out and live innawoods for fuck's sake.
>>
>>70079103
No, because there was another applicant with a degree and also 5 years of experience.
>>
>>70079103
>No degree
>engineer

No, you're not.
>>
in college I just crammed everything in the week before exams

going to college just means you can show up and aren't a complete retard
>>
>>70079214
>implying you can't learn systems engineering online

And all Linux kernel developers all hold a master's in computer science
>>
>>70078509
ima high school dropout.i made it E-8 MSG in the US Army, i taught myself computer skills along with other things. I have at least a dozen certifications, and just retired from a 6 figure job. and guess what, i still don't have a degree but i am more intelligent than most people.
>>
>>70079304
>>70079304
You literally cannot call yourself an engineer without the proper certification. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_and_licensure_in_engineering#United_States_2
>>
>>70079304
I didn't imply that. But you can't be an "engineer" if you're uneducated in the same way you can't be a "physician" even if you've watched a bunch of surgery videos on youtube.
>>
>>70079344
The truly intelligent ones recognize the innate worthlessness of a college degree.
>>
TL;DR: it's like being a legal vs. illegal immigrant.

You need the fucking papers. Whether you believe the bullshit you had to memorize to get them is another matter entirely.
>>
>>70079428
>>70079434
Well then, the HR department went full retard with my title.

Either way, I make six figures without a degree.
>>
>>70079498
yes, if i wanted to be indoctrinated to liberal bs, i would got to college.
>>
I'd say the truth is somewhere in between all these extreme, completely unrealistic, and generally uninformed opinions, and.. AW FUCK IT.

REDPILL! MEME! BLAH BLAH BLAH! MY OPINION! TRUMP!
>>
>>70077207
I'm self employed and fairly successful. I watched a lot of fucking YouTube videos and read a lot of books when I first started.

Now I make six figures, only have an A.S. degree.

Fuck what someone else wants you to have.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (37 KB, 382x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
37 KB, 382x200
>>70079344
>high school dropout
>Army
>don't have a degree
>more intelligent than most people

Hahahaha you truly pathetic delusional fucking nitwit. I guess some people are so far behind in the race that they think they're leading.
>>
I'm getting a Philosophy BS, too late to change.

Is my degree literally useless or will it be of ANY benefit in the workforce?
>>
>>70077047
Yeah college is mostly for networking & intensive self-study.

You really aren't required to do much for your courses. I say this as someone w/ a 3.87 GPA at a top CS school. I probably spend 30-35 hours on schoolwork per week and the rest is self-study/networking.
>>
>>70079866
Lol, why?

Just have like 4 projects on your github, commit to a few open source projects, and don't be an autist when you interview.
>>
>>70079749
I graduated over a year ago with a philosophy degree and I'm still unemployed so I'd say it's useless.
>>
One thing college does is it teaches people to think rationally. A lot of people I know that haven't gone to college are just drones, believing whatever the media tells them to believe.
>>
>>70079988

FUCK

I don't even like the degree. I thought it was going to be all fun dude what happens when you die lmao stuff

It's actually reading a bunch of convoluted bullshit from dead fucks and having to write impossible papers on, fucking kill me
>>
>>70077047

university is a combination of textbook knowledge, learning to prepare work as asked by someone, learning social skills with classmates, and learning how to present / work in groups knowldge and communictae effectively

By looking on wikipedia, you offer only one of those things, and your sources are usually dubious at best

You need the ticket, so just get it

Also, OP why did you make this pointless thread?
>>
>>70080059
>college teaches people to think rationally
>implying college educated people aren't also easily propagandized
>>
>>70078710

Why would you ever post with your real name, Anthony?
>>
>>70080115
The only reason to major in something useless is because you enjoy the subject matter. You sure goofed, m8.
>>
>>70079727
facts don't lie homey, i know how much i have in the bank and i make enough that i don't have to work anymore unless i choose to. one of my former co-workers has a PHD, i was the only one that could have a logical conversation with him. having your parents pay or getting stupid student loans to be brainwashed to feel guilty for being white or non-what ever the fuck people are now, does not mean that you are intelligent.
>>
>>70080059
Nah man. College kids are more brainwashed than anyone I know.

It was nice getting my dick sucked and I met some cool people but even with my degree i didn't learn anything new it just made me more poor.
>>
>>70079749
I know someone who did philosophy and history at UCLA
>>
>>70080818
bill and ted already did it "All we are is dust in the wind"
>>
>>70079947
I'm trying to grow a company and launch a new one right now. Can say I paid off a year's tuition already :)

There's an endless supply of autists at my school, just trying to use my resources to the best of my advantage.
>>
>>70077047
People capable of original thought don't do well in the educational system.

Great speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4tdMsg3ts

Here the written version:
http://americaviaerica.blogspot.nl/2010/07/coxsackie-athens-valedictorian-speech.html

" There is a story of a young, but earnest Zen student who approached his teacher, and asked the Master, "If I work very hard and diligently, how long will it take for me to find Zen? The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years." The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast - How long then?" Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years." "But, if I really, really work at it, how long then?" asked the student. "Thirty years," replied the Master. "But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?" Replied the Master, "When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path.""
Also read this by buck minister fuller:
(ctrl + f search for "Specialization")
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~lfjones/peace/bucky.html

Also this:
http://www.dvara.net/HK//redragon.asp
"You ask all of these questions, and you ask what is wrong with that? After all, to be a hacker is to question things, is it not? But, you do not want knowledge. You want answers. You do not want to learn how things work. You want answers. You do not want to explore. All you want to know is the answer to your damn questions. You are not a hacker.

Hacking is not about answers. Hacking is about the path you take to find the answers. If you want help, don't ask for answers, ask for a pointer to the path you need to take to find out those answers for yourself. Because it is not the people with the answers that are the hackers, it is the people that are travelling along the path.

-ReDragon"
>>
File: large.jpg (131 KB, 500x542) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
131 KB, 500x542
While there are still some careers that require a respectable degree: doctors, lawyers and programmers for example. Majority of them was made as a scam and response to the increasing amount of scared teens in 90s couldn't hear the end of how you'll end up being nobody without a college/uni degree. Of course this illusion of "need to have a college degree" keeps going on since we hire so many teachers etc. At this point I feel like bureaucracy in UK's education starts to bite its own ass. You need a worthless degree/course/training/nvq for every possible thing even in jobs as brainless as security. In reality people who are actually rich in this country are self employed owners of businesses that had the balls to do something.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.