[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>iceland prime minister appears in Panama Papers >shitstorm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: iceland prime minister.jpg (26 KB, 720x554) Image search: [Google]
iceland prime minister.jpg
26 KB, 720x554
>iceland prime minister appears in Panama Papers
>shitstorm
>less than 48 hours later he resigns before any investigation, just because people were angry

>Politicians in Brazil obviously corrupt to extents not seen in many modern nations
>none of them will ever willingly resign
>investigations made impossible by law trickery

In your country do leaders resign if they blatantly screw up just because of common decency?

I honestly envy first world countries for that.
>>
>>70073409
it's not like all first world countries do it
only small and local ones
america is too big and shitty despite being first-world
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x347
>>70073409
FOR CHRIST SAKE SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME ALREADY HOW RICH PEOPLE HIDING MONEY OVERSEAS IS SO BAD???????

IT'S BEEN HAPPENING FOREVER I DONT GET IT WHO CARES
>>
File: 1459893595058.jpg (102 KB, 743x960) Image search: [Google]
1459893595058.jpg
102 KB, 743x960
>>70075335
>>70073409
>implying he wasn't just collateral in trying to justify panama into following a global data exchange scheme
>mfw

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21693221-tax-haven-professes-stand-principle-risking-pariah-status-problem-child
>>
idk did 14% of your population protest outside the capital?

>>70075379

well part of this dude's platform has been cutting a hard deal with bankers and being against offshoring money

so it's hypocrisy
>>
>BR politicians
>completely owned by Soros
>Soros' cronies suspiciously not mentioned anywhere

gee i wonder who could be behind this
>>
>>70075379
See
>>70075508
>>
>>70075379

Probably because they aren't just hiding money earned, it's probably money from bribes, lobbying(bribes) and kickbacks from cronies.
>>
>>70075614
It's also mostly just tax avoidance which is completely legal.
>>
>>70075508
Okay I'm really not a smart person, essentially they want to share tax information with many people across different banks and such to prevent tax fraud? How does that help, and how can they keep that information safe if it passes through so many hands?

All it takes is one corrupt link in the chain
>>
>>70076559
The idea is information is ready available for whoever wants to investigate.
>>
>>70076559
He's a Russian who's mad he can't sell weapons to Somalian pirates using his Panama shell companies anymore.
>>
File: 1459820270778.png (624 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459820270778.png
624 KB, 1280x720
>>70076559
Not just tax information, it's everyone's financial information.
Your information and my information and it's nothing to do with preventing fraud. At least not preventing large scale fraud like what is supposedly documented in these "leaks".

I wonder what kind of people would want some kind of global taxation system :^)
>>
You can read about what happens to Chicago's corrupt politicans if you want, they often make the news with how brazen they are. Rarely do they resign unless they are being physically dragged out of office by law enforcement. My hometown is not quite like the rest of the country though.
>>
>>70077156

What you just described is basically the entirety of the Brazilian political system.
>>
>>70076559

Here is the full piece of basic legislation it is about if you want to read it. It's fairly short for such things.

http://www.oecd.org/ctp/exchange-of-tax-information/Automatic-Exchange-Financial-Account-Information-Common-Reporting-Standard.pdf
>>
>>70077156
>>70077361
The same happens in the UK except they just go and get new jobs at the EU commission, where they gain immunity from prosecution and tax exemption, rather than stay in office.
>>
>>70075379
It can be tax evasion, conflict of interest money, bribes, corruption, all sorts of shit.

Hiding it isn't bad in and of itself.

The trouble is, there are very few legit reasons for a politcian or public official to hide millions of dollars overseas.
>>
>>70075335
>only small and local ones
Canada is pretty big and we crucify our senators when they dare to charge a haircut to their expense account.

You think I'm joking -- I'm not.
>>
>>70077006
>I wonder what kind of people would want some kind of global taxation system

The fun part about a globally synchronized tax system with no havens is that there's no risk of capital flight.

If we all jack up our top tax brackets together, there's nowhere for the rich bastards to run.

Think of it like collective bargaining on a global scale, only instead of workers, it's nation states.
>>
File: bill-hillary.jpg (96 KB, 1200x791) Image search: [Google]
bill-hillary.jpg
96 KB, 1200x791
>>70073409
>In your country do leaders resign if they blatantly screw up just because of common decency?

lol no
>>
>>70075335
Resignation happens every day. Called taking one for the team.
>>
>>70076855
>>70077006
How would they even begin to implement something like that? Not every country would want to play along to the same rules.

>>70076859
Who?

>>70077377
Wow, how have I never heard of oecd before... Very scary. Will try to read whole thing for myself. Thank you for sharing

>>70077892
So this guy in Iceland resigned before an investigation because he knew he had done something wrong?

>>70078182
Okay yeah, but wouldn't this mess with the working class just as much? We couldn't drop banks for a cheaper alternative, we'd lose whatever small bargaining chip we have. And other people could look into our finances. Wouldn't this just create a larger rift between economic classes? And don't rich people deserve to keep the money they earn? Idk
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.