[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nuclear Power - why is Slovakia the only red pilled country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Nuclear_Power.jpg (692 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear_Power.jpg
692 KB, 2048x1536
Hi /pol/,

why is it that Slovakia is the only red pilled country on nuclear power? There is a huge support for it and we are currently second in the world after France with 57 % of our electricity generated by nuclear power.

But in the coming two years two more nuclear reactors will go online and the share of nuclear power in our domestic electricity production will go to 85%. We will take the first place (France sits at 75 %).

There is also another plan going forward to build another reactor (this time the biggest one you can build) which should go online in 2025 and we should have approx. 135 % of our electricity needs met by our nuclear reactors.

What is your countries excuse to not build nuclear power plants? And if you are building them then why are you doing it at a slow pace like 5% up in 20 years etc.

If a small EU country hast the capacity and the money to do it then bigger and wealthier countries should be able to do it in no time.

But instead i read news like Bernie Sanders wants to close all nuclear power plants, France wants to lower it from 75% to 50% etc.

Why is Germany so crazy to close all its nuclear power plants and buy those expensive solar panels that are not a reliable power source?
>>
>>70064704
Whats with /pol/s love for nuclear energy? Its hazardous
>>
Because people pick sides and anything their side was against they have to dislike and attempt to dismantle forever.

European countries are getting more and more leftist and they historically have protested the shit out of nuclear and are pro solar, so they're obligated to do it just because.
>>
Uneducated people thinking nuclear automatically = pollution, disaster, chernobyl etc without actually researching. Plus I'm from Scotland where renewables are seen as the way forward, which I kind of agree with but wouldn't mind a nuclear power plant being built here.
>>
File: 33.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
>>70064704
>soviet nuclear reactors
>>
There was (and is) a massive shilling campaign funded by fossil fuel corporations to promote wind/solar over nuclear.
They did this because they knew nuclear could put them out of business, but wind/solar would never be a practical solution and would always need coal/oil/gas as a backup.
>>
>>70064986
hardly, so long as you keep out the muzzies and there aren't any major major earthquakes there aren't really a lot of things that can go wrong. The only real issue is the leftover radioactive material, but they're developing things now so that a lot of that material can be reused.
>>
>>70064704
>tfw my country was cucked out of nuclear power by 70's hippies/faggots
>>
>>70064986
More hazardous than having vast quantities of free money in the same place that all the terrorists are from?
>>
>>70065368
I think the SNP are fucking mad with the amount of fucking wind farms they want
as it stands nuclear is the best
Fusion is the ideal, but fission will do for now
Its ridiculous to think that wind power and solar power can, with current tech, power the fucking planet without costing the consumer huge amounts of money
>>
>>70064986

Probably because short of star trek antimatter shit it's *the* power source.

Solar and wind and hydro ARE nuclear power. The sun is a giant fusion ball, just harnessed indirectly.

Utilizing nuclear power directly and at our whim is an important step to achieving some next level technological progress. Libtards would have us squat on what we have, but it needs practical testing usage to really figure out how it can work. Theoretical is fine but engineers are the ones that would be making spaceships happen and they need real world long term implementations to work from.

Also it's fucking clean energy if you do it right and that other garbage isn't even close to overtaking oil and coal.

Countries have already shown you can be almost or entirely nuclear with our current level of tech but some people are content to dick around with solar panels while also crying about the global warming that could have been solved lready if not for their nuclear hysteria sabotaging the industry in the first place
>>
Because we have retarded leaders who watched that shitty (Jodi Foster I think) movie where a fucking nuclear meltdown burns a whole in the earth
>>
>>70065844
It looks like the soviet/russian nuclear reactor are pretty good. I mean the VVER types, not the RMBK type which was in Chernobyl... you can build them relatively fast, quite cheap and they are reliable. Look whats happening with the newest Areva design - EPR - its a big disaster in terms of cost overruns, time delays etc.

>>70066100
Burying it in the desert is actually a fantastic idea.

You know what's not just kind of a poor idea, but an appallingly bad idea that we've decided we're okay with? Dumping it into the air we breathe.

People think burying a bunch of highly secure barrels under a geologically inactive mountain below the water table is somehow dangerous, but DUMPING MILLIONS OF TONS OF HORRIBLE POLLUTION INTO OUR ATMOSPHERE is perfectly okay. People get cancer and other diseases every day from the nasty, toxic shit we dump out of coal plants into our air. Parts of our environment are utterly trashed every day to dump nasty, toxic, radioactive coal ash in ways so much more carelessly than we'd ever handle nuclear waste.
>>
>>70064704

is it costly for a small country like slovakil to build and operate nuclear power plants? whre do you get your uranium? where do you get your engineers? who designs and buuilds your plants? (local, or international companies?)
>>
Any environmentalist with a brain is for nuclear power.

As it is the non fossil fuel with the least impact on the environment, during normal operation. That is also available enough to provide baseload everywhere.

hydro - requires a huge amount of land. Destroys river ecosystems and land ecosystems.

solar - huge amount of land. horribly inefficient. requires rare earths or larger amounts of common elements.

wind - large land usage. rare earths. bird hazard
>>
>>70064704
I am 10000% behind nuclear power, they should have nuclear power plants in every western country.
If the niggers ever become a majority in our nations, the plants will be unsustainable. So they will either go without power, or die in a nuclear wasteland.
>>
>>70066434
Agree. Get the feeling from the SNP that they only want to go the renewable route for votes though rather than any actual belief in it. Sturgeon has been a bit vague on fracking, gives me hope they might just say fuck it and go nuclear and not give a fuck about appealing to the wannabe hippies.
>>
>>70064704
We are earthquake central, also we still Fuck it up
>>
File: 439.jpg (28 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
439.jpg
28 KB, 460x288
>>70066735
>VVER types
Now try to find difference between VVER and BWR reactors from Fukushima plant.
>yfw
>>
>>70067053
Im hoping they dont win....
If they dont win then we can continue fracking and hopefully fund Nuclear
Sturgeon is a fucking meme at this stage, the SNP are literally a fucking meme party.
"Muh independence" Theyve still refused to answer what theyd be doing right now if Scotland was independent bearing in mind we're running a 10% deficit. Fucking cucks.
>>
>>70064704
everybody loves it until ahmed blows up the facility in your backyard.

if we do have nuclear energy, who's gonna run it? your cousin, or your neighbor. And while I'm sure they are smart people, imagine your coworkers, and now imagine them working in a nuclear facility.
>>
Nobody wants to discuss the issue here. Older plants get older and newer plants don't get built. There was a large plan to store nuclear waste in mountains somewhere but that fell through so many new plants were cancelled. Nuclear power plants also have some of the most bureaucratic hoops to jump through and strictest standards that remove a lot of the economical reasoning for it.

Everyone wants to push renewables, which aren't consistent in energy output so they can't realistically be at 100% share.

Nonetheless, renewables like wind have been given major tax credits and now in the course of 3 years my state became 25% wind powered. Pretty impressive for a state with a population of 3 million but is upsetting that the coal plants still remain nonetheless.
>>
>>70064704
>Why is Germany so crazy to close all its nuclear power plants

their future workers will all be refugees and won't be to comprehend running a nuclear plant safely
>>
>>70067421
>implying companies in the nuclear sector dick around with who they employ
>>
>>70066188
With the fault lines running through NZ Nuclear probably wasn't the best solution.
>>
>>70066761
Yes, its costly for us but quite doable. A nuclear reactor is very profitable and it works for many years so i think its not that difficult to get loans for it?

Uranium - currently from Russia.

Engineers - we have local experts. In fact we are working on Gen IV nuclear reactors (google "Allegro reactor")

Design - we use russian VVER reactors

Who builds it - mostly local companies.
>>
>>70064704
>Slovakia
>literally 10% gypsies
>>
>>70064986
It's hazardous only because red tape has prevented proper development for 40 years. Even then it's still safer than other sources of energy.

Oil rigs catching fire/blowing up is common compared to the half dozen or so nuclear incidents world wide.

People fall off roofs working on solar panels daily.

Those huge fucking blades on wind turbines? Look at Flint, MI; the plumbing is so under maintained that it's still got lead pipes. You think those blades aren't going to come off when they start wearing out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK367T7h6ZY
>>
>>70067922
Haha yes, thats true. But they live segregated in their garbage villages and dont go anywhere near a nuclear power plant.
>>
>>70067356
ты бы хoть в вики зaглянyл, пpeждe чeм тyт cвoe cвинoe хaйлo oткpывaть
>>
>>70067381
Who you voting for? I'm going SNP if only for the fact that Dugdale and Rennie seem as incompetent as fuck especially Dugdale fucking hate the woman. Davidson is likeable but she comes across a bit slimey.

Think the reason they're being as vague on fracking is cos they know they'll probably have to start it at some point cos of the deficit. Don't support SNP but the best of the worst bunch i've ever fucking seen.
>>
>>70067356
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. VVER's are pressurized water reactors and BWR's are, well, Boiling Water Reactors. These are two very different designs. The cause of the Fukushima accident had nothing to do with the reactor design. Rather, the placement of backup generators, which powered the pumps used to remove decay heat from the core, were placed in the basement of the plant and were flooded, leaving them inoperable. This is why the core melted.
>>
>>70068236
I hope you're right because if they cause some shit we're all cucked.
>>
>>70067381
but aye we're literally the perfect place in the uk to go nuclear; no earthquakes, sparse population in the highlands
>>
>>70068620
We would find the reactor vessel in the scrape yard.
>>
>>70068236
I just imagined a bunch of them is probably trying to mastermind for years how to strip one of your plants of dem nuclears to sell them to Isis.
>>
>>70068552

>People point to Fukushima as absolute proof nuclear is bad and shouldn't be attempted

>The problem that happened with Fukushima is well known and can be avoided in future designs.

It's hard to improve something if people shut it the fuck down every time it fails. Every other power source goes through failures and revisions, nuclear is just really nasty with its failures. We've gotten through the worst of it, and now that we're pretty well in the safe zone they wanna stop? Pretty dumb.

At least fusion appeals to the nerds I guess, but whats going to happen when its time for practical installations of fusion power? Protests like usual. "Nuclear is still nuclear" written on signs in period blood.
>>
>>70064704
Does Slovakia currently have a permanent disposal sight for the waste?
>>
Lack of adequate waste disposal facilities. NIMBYism.
>>
>>70066100
>>70066333
>>70066502
>>70068043
Chernobyl.

Nuff said
>>
>>70068490
Ill be going for Davidson
Mainly due to the idea of leaving tax as is when the rest of the UK drops theirs....
I mean it completely destroys the idea of creating business and reducing the deficit

Honestly Ive considered voting for UKIP recently, need to find an article on UKIP Scotland's plans regarding tax, but if we leave the EU Ill be voting UKIP in the next general elections.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29368838
I mean im not economist but this seems to be a fairly reasonable proposal for both sides of the spectrum

>>70068727
Exactly this, we should be encouraging and funding Nuclear research up here and trying to capitalise on the market while its still relatively fresh, also this would mean we'd probably get a good start when Fusion becomes viable at the level of a normal plant if we already have companies here working with Nuclear.
(Im assuming Nuclear companies are the ones who will be funding this research)

What are your thoughts on the general election though? My family will indefinitely be voting SNP since they hate labour and the tories with a passion, though im going to try to get them to vote UKIP I think.
>>
>>70069480
They call it Ukraine.
>>
File: 1458519093494.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1458519093494.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>>70069803
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.