[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whole Foods Market recently announced its commitment to reduce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
Whole Foods Market recently announced its commitment to reduce food waste by selling “ugly” fruits and vegetables. After receiving numerous encouragements from environmentalists, the company announced that starting in April it will begin to stock the store’s produce department with fruits and vegetables that are less aesthetically pleasing but equally edible and healthy. With this new program, Whole Foods will be fighting wasteful food disposal and setting an example that other grocery stores will hopefully follow.

Consumers are often excessively picky when choosing produce that looks flawless, and as a result a huge amount of perfectly good food gets thrown away every day. According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, Americans are throwing out approximately $165 billion worth of uneaten food each year in a massive waste of resources. Even worse, this food ends up rotting in landfills where it accounts for a large amount of U.S. methane emissions.

If given the chance, it is possible for consumers to make informed decisions when purchasing produce that will keep these perfectly healthy fruits and vegetables from going to waste and change our perspective on food aesthetics. Whole Foods will be partnering with Imperfect Produce in their new program, a company dedicated to reducing the waste of “ugly” fruits and vegetables. This partnership will make a huge difference in changing the bias against “ugly” produce, and will set Whole Foods apart as a leader in the fight to reduce food waste. Thank Whole Foods for its efforts to promote environmental sustainability and to show support for the new program.
>>
I like my food like I like my people.

Not at Whole Foods.
>>
>>70051492
That's one impressive spin on the sentence

>We're cutting quality control to save overhead.
>>
>>70051492
I didn't even know that Americans bought fresh vegetables and fruit. I always see them buy shit in frozen bags or cans, or in nice prepackaged plastic containers.
>>
>Hey Abraham we can save a few shekels by buying only the shittier fruits at the market and selling them to the goyim at regular price
>Hehehe good idea Chaim we can tell the stupid goys that it's for the environment!
>Shalom Abraham! The ignorant yuppie goyim who shop at our store would never see it coming.
>>
>>70051898
I know right? It's like what the water bottling companies do with their bottles. They thin the plastic and thin the caps and spin it as saving the environment when in reality all they're doing is saving productions costs and riding the environmentalist green meme.

Yet no one seems to understand this because they're so far up their own asses being morally smug.
>>
>>70051678
>I like my food like I like my people.
>Not at Whole Foods.

First post best post.
>>
>>70051898
>>70052129
>>70052240

Admittedly, the CEO and founder of whole foods is a libertarian, and is likely to see this as a good opportunity to make more money as long as people are willing to pay for it. Those people could always choose to buy their food elsewhere as well.

Regardless, the concept is not that insane. I get my produce from a company called hungry harvest, and for $35 every other week I get 20lbs of produce delivered to my house for free, and it's all recovered, meaning it was going to be thrown out anyways. As someone who has worked produce at two different grocery stores, I support this entirely after seeing how much food gets wasted.
>>
This was tried several times and failed.
>>
>>70051492
Assuming the same retardedly high Whole Foods prices arent applied to "ugly" produce, what exactly is wrong with any of this?
>>
>>70051492
Maybe if you sell the fugly fruit at half price, people would buy it.
>>
>>70052240
>They thin the plastic and thin the caps and spin it as saving the environment when in reality all they're doing is saving productions costs
But doesn't it help both?
>>
>>70051492

Does anyone unironically shop at whole foods? Be a grownup and go to your local farmers market or produce junction. Get your meats and cheeses from an actual fucking butcher. Don't support this yuppie bullshit that is killing our American marketplace
>>
So can any Amerifriends fill me in on what Whole Foods is and the reason for the disdain for people who shop there?
>>
File: 1458783590416.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458783590416.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>70053733
>mfw I have about half a dozen butcher shops within 20 minutes of where I live
>>
>>70054312
It's where all the hippies get their groceries.
>>
As someone who is horrendously ugly I always buy the worst looking produce that way they feel like they were wanted before being left to rot in my fridge.
>>
File: asparagus-water.jpg (109 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
asparagus-water.jpg
109 KB, 600x600
The problem is that people who are willing to spend extra on food generally want good looking food too. Consumers usually perceive visual blights as potential issues, either because they want good looking food or cannot tell a cosmetic issue from one that would affect the freshness/quality of the food.

>>70053733
There are no real butchers near me. Whole foods offers the convenience of a grocery store while offering some things that are difficult/impossible to get grocery stores (e.g. dry aged beef). That's essentially the only thing I buy there.

Where I used to live there were a ton of local butchers and it was convenient to shop there but it's not the case everywhere.

>>70054312
It's a supermarket chain that focuses on sustainability (e.g. no paper bags), organic/fresh/vegan shit. It's extremely pricey (things you could get at most grocery stores for $5 on sale or $7 regularly is often $10+ there) and it has a reputation for hipsters shopping there.

The main problem is some people buy shit that you could get for a much lower price for identical shit. That's 90%+ of what they carry. They have a few totally bullshit items too (pic related was distributed for a little bit there). The only thing really worthwhile if you don't have a good butcher near you is their meat. That's it.
>>
>>70054312
American food is inherently poisonous. Their crops are sprayed with chemical deemed too hazardous to be legal in the rest of the civilised world. When processed by a factory into meals, similar levels of harmful chemicals are used.

But Americans pride themselves on their strength and resilience. To not willingly consume the poison on offer is to admit defeat. To stand up and say 'I will not eat this poison' in America is to say 'I'm a faggot who's body is too weak.'
>>
>>70055444
I would have thought hippies would shop at farmers markets or something

>>70055711
>that pic
Oh lawd.

So are there any differences to justify the costs? Like higher quality, or locally made or shit like that?
>>
>>70051678
/thread
>>
>>70051492
Yeah, so they want to cut down on quality control and tell us this is somehow for everyone's benefit. Do they also lower the prices in turn? No? Who'd thought!
>>
I don't know a single person who doesn't paw through the fruits looking for the best and largest one. This isn't going to do shit. I guess it may work at whole foods because its whole foods.
>>
I live by the original Whole Foods.

The only people I see inside are rich yuppies, dirty hippies, and the homeless.

I hate going there. They have a few things that are good that are hard to find elsewhere, but I don't usually go there.
>>
>>70053320
Obviously that isn't happening, it's a marketing scheme where they get to buy MORE stuff for less money and sell it for the same prize.

Even the "rotting" part is ridiculous, given that the plants soaked up everything they give off later while rotting in the first place and when consumed it is released just the same.
>>
>>70056052
>higher quality
For some of the meat this is generally true (they try to get non-antiobiotic, non-factory farm shit) although if you have a good local butcher you can probably get this for less. Most of the quality is a meme. If you're a vegan, they stock certain products that most grocery stores don't. They have many types of vegan mayonnaise for instance (I only know this because I'm allergic to eggs, and thankfully they stock the only one worth getting [Hampton Creek's Just Mayo] at normal grocery stores).

Most of it is a meme.

They do try to buy from local farmers though.
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/local

I think a farmer's market and butcher does better to directly support local businesses if they're accessible. You pay a price premium at whole foods for sure. When I lived in PA the farmer's market was a shitshow for availability regularly and for parking/accessibility. Here in NY I'm too suburban and not rural enough for a good farmer's market/butcher. In NYC or much of upstate NY you'd get those. There's a good farmer's market that I visit when I visit the adirondacks but unfortunately it's about 2 hours from me and not at all convenient. Whole Foods is less than fifteen minutes away.
>>
>>70052948
but the point being Whole Foods is nicknamed Whole Paycheck for a reason.
>>
>>70056319
Since WF caters to people who believe they are "enlightened" they have to have a public campaign to appeal to that demographic and convince them that buying ugly fruits & vegetables is "enlightened".

So Whole Foods is doing what ordinary open air markets have been doing for....millennia.
>>
>>70051492
So they are turning into an asian market?
>>
>>70052240
And when you get a case of water home you find one bottle in the middle that burst.
>>
>>70056012
To escape the poison, literally all you have to do is buy directly from local, family-owned farms. That's it.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 250x200
>>70052240
I miss old plastic bottle caps.They made a great noise when flicked at someone's head.
>>
>>70051492
#UglyFoodsMatter scores another victory for the cucks.
>>
File: edtC9Qb5_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
edtC9Qb5_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>70052240
I like this full retard new trend water companies are doing where they go all out trying to make thicker, prettier bottles so they can jack up the price. You are essentially buying a nice water bottle with tap water and don't know it.
>>
File: What_Happened.jpg (38 KB, 736x719) Image search: [Google]
What_Happened.jpg
38 KB, 736x719
>>70051492
>tfw you grow up in the city that WholeFoods started in and every one treats it like a fucking tourist destination.
>tfw it was so easy to steal beer from there until they installed scanners at the doors
>fuck WholeFoods
>>
Whole foods team member here

AMA

some facts

>we start at 11/hr
>we get 20% discount, if our cholestorol is low and BMI and BP also low then we get up to 30%
>all my coworkers basically do drugs or are burnouts, no real motivation to do anything else besides work at WF (as in 25+ working there)
>>
>>70060886
Do you get paid for riding your bike to work?
>>
>>70060886
>if our cholestorol is low and BMI and BP also low then we get up to 30%
The world would be a better place if more companies offered incentives for this.
>>
>>70060189
Even Coca Cola doesn't have those caps anymore.
>>
>>70051492
Will they be cheaper?

I mean, the overhead is smaller because they don't have to toss out product. So why do I get the nagging feeling that the price will remain the same?

Either way, there's a market in town twice a week. I'll get my ugly vegetables there, at lower cost.
>>
>>70055711
>$6
>for a bunch of asparagus in water
>not even a lot

Why aren't niggers selling this shit on street corners, instead of crack?
>>
>>70060699
jokes on them. when i'm forced to buy one I save it and refill it from the tap for the next 6 months.
>>
Good
>>
>>70051492
Whole fodos is garbage hippie bullshit
Go to a real supermarket like say Public and then go to a wholefoods.
The difference in the size and healthy look of the food will floor you.
Ffs Penn&Teller did an episode about it all years ago.
Hippies are full of it
>>
>>70064169
Disposable water bottles leach chemicals into water. Better to use the kind of water bottles designed for re-use.
>>
>>70051492
in other words Whole Foods wants to sell cheaper produce for the same price as the expensive shit, and is using this bullshit excuse to trick gullible morons
>>
>>70064169
Voss comes in a glass container. I have like ten of them I use on rotation. Fucking worth every penny.
>>
>>70051492
so this is how these cucks plan to feed these refugee scum, and at the same time socially condition us to accept garbage under the talking down pretense of being 'less picky'.
>>
>>70053733
>go to your local farmers market
>Get your meats and cheeses from an actual fucking butcher.
>Don't support this yuppie bullshit
the cognitive dissonance in this thread is staggering you hipster piece of shit
>>
>>70064935
That's were I pick up chicks.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.