[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Panama Papers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: PanPaps.jpg (5 KB, 134x100) Image search: [Google]
PanPaps.jpg
5 KB, 134x100
Thoughts on this?
>>
Forgot to add: 2.6 TB Leak of 11.5mill confidential documents of money laundering through offshore "Tax Havens."

Several past and present world leaders as well as 148 other political figures.

Big deal, recent news release, still reading into it myself.
>>
I'm writing a paper on it and I'm struggling to make sense of it all still. Shit is due on Thursday...
>>
>>70033161
to continue...

It seems like some pinnacle journalism: what can occur when people come together to expose corruption.

Not only that, but it's a display of how media can influence government. The PM of Iceland fucking stepped down from this. This is huge from a power standpoint.
>>
the simple fact that this 'leak' isnt searchable by the general public or by any jounalists not approved by the so called leaker makes this whole thing suspect and should simply be ignored
>>
Rich people iligaly evade taxes.
Wow!

In other news the sky is blue and the water is wet.
>>
>>70033363
Don't worry, it will be made completely public soon enough. The will be another wave of names released implicating Americans and potentially some Canadians.

After this, the documents will likely be released to the public. There is no need for the general public to go through this stuff yet as the journos are still doing work.
>>
>>70033659
Correct, but brings a large collective of political figures to light on the issue with, arguably tangible, evidence behind it.

I'm still skeptical myself, not very in depth details behind it but believe it does carry weight
>>
>>70032267
Nice image for ants. Basically it's just George Soros stirring up some more destabilization like he does best.
>>
Dave Cameron on suicide watch, already showing himself up for the hypocrite he is.

>No excuse for privacy in the UK, if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear
>This tax dodging thing is a private matter

Praise kek, for his bounty is great
>>
>>70034227
This

What /pol/ conspiracy theorists don't realize is that if this leak was "fake", then none of these leaders would be getting so antsy.
>>
>>70033979
And what's the proof of that?
>>
>>70032267
why is it wrong to put your money in another nation's hands?
>>
>>70033930
>no need

according to fucking who?
>>
>>70034719
There's nothing wrong with it. However, the company leaked, specialized in tax evasion.
>>
>>70034753
Because there are innocent people in the files, and they don't want dumbfucks like you to ruin their financials...?
>>
PANAMA PAPERS FAQ

>What are the Panama Papers?

The Panama Papers are the largest data leak in history. 2.6 TB and 11.5 million documents to be exact. Here's an infographic to put that in perspective: http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56febff0a1bb8d3c3495adf4/_modules_4_image_url.png. The data is from a Panama-based law firm, Mossack Fonseca, that creates offshore accounts for tax evasion.

A German newspaper, Süddeutsche Zeitung, was offered the data by an anonymous source. After realizing it was too much to work with, other journalism organizations collaborated led by the ICIJ (International Consortium for Investigative Journalism).

>How come I can't find any of the leak?

To be frank, the site is confusing and you can't find the data there. Here is the link to the current data: https://www.documentcloud.org/public/search/Source:%20%22Internal%20documents%20from%20Mossack%20Fonseca%20%28Panama%20Papers%29%22/p2 (Note: This is only 149 documents. More to come soon.)

>Is this a big deal?

Yes. Dare I say, it's a happening. The prime minister of Iceland was implicated, and this was sprung on him in an interview (http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/apr/03/icelands-prime-minister-walks-out-of-interview-over-tax-haven-question-video). The look on his face pretty much gave it away. I've seen reports that he's retiring now, but I can't confirm. Also, it's been trending on Twitter for a while, so the mainstream is aware of it.

>Are there any other good resources to read on this?

The Guardian has been doing good reporting on this (http://www.theguardian.com/news/series/panama-papers). I know it has leftist bias, but the articles seem solid (although they're focusing on Putin too much). The official Panama Papers site also has information, and videos.

Reddit default subs are generally garbage, but their live threads are pretty decent for happenings (https://www.reddit.com/live/wp1fvdxxwb45/).
>>
>>70034695
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/04/04/panama-papers-mainstream-media-focuses-putin-link-leak-group-funded-pro-open-borders-george-soros/

>in b4 kikebart, search google for other sources if it doesn't suit you
>>
File: genshiken-943171.jpg (108 KB, 800x1207) Image search: [Google]
genshiken-943171.jpg
108 KB, 800x1207
>>70034798
sauce

why is tax evasion wrong, since the tax code is public, and you can manage your money in a way that works around these pitfalls?

if i recall correctly, dont most public tax efforts involve, in some way, an effort to evade costly taxation?
>>
>>70034798
Tax avoidance which is legal faggot. This whole Panama papers bs is a Soros ploy to shit on political enemies.
>>
>>70034719

It's not particularly wrong, it's just spectacularly hypocritical to insist (under force of law) that everyone pays their taxes to make the country function properly, while you pay to send your money elsewhere so you can keep it to spend on nice things.

To paraphrase a joke about a comedian tax-dodger who got caught in the UK: ' When he's on tour and cracks a joke about how shitty the town is, everyone should reply 'Yes, because of you''.
>>
>>70035129
>if i recall correctly, dont most public tax efforts involve, in some way, an effort to evade costly taxation?
I believe you're talking about tax avoidance. That's different from tax evasion.
>>
>>70034885
Go on...

Seriously, I'd like to know more on that.

Are you implying that the original data leak of 2Tb contained the name of nearly anyone who has put money into Fonseca, for legitimate or illegitimate purposes? And that the journos are scouring through to determine what was illegal and what wasn't?

If so, that's pretty big information and makes loads of sense as to why the current documents are not publicly available as of yet.

Also, source?
>>
>>70035159
>>70035110
Nigger, I already knew all of this, and it doesn't support your claim

>the mainstream media is focusing on Putin!
Ok? The fuck does that have to do with the content in the leak.

>The group is funded by Soros
Ok? Soros funds tons of shit, and there's no clear agenda in the people implicated so far. And of course, there's also no evidence of this alleged conspiracy.
>>
>>70035129

Tax avoidance is legal -- that's just reducing your tax burden to the lowest you can legally pay. That's fine.

Tax evasion is illegally hiding income.

It's the difference between asking your boss for a raise and mugging people on the street after work. Both increase your income, one is legal.
>>
>>70035428
Yup, basically.
>>
>The Guardian reports (http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/05/panama-papers-leak-americans-exposed-tax-havens) that it has confirmed that at least 200 American citizens are implicated in the Panama Papers. The names include a convicted Ponzi Schemer currently serving a 13 year jail term and a Florida billionaire found guilty of forging fake sculptures. Also included in the list of names is Benjamin Wey, president of New York Global Group, who was already charged with fraud last year. None of the names are of American politicians. /u/Mastermaze
>>
>>70035469
>it doesn't support your claim
shill
>>
>>70036366
Great argument.
>>
>>70035159
>Soros funded
This makes a legit question at least for what I have read in /pol/ lately. Do you think that they will "reveal" the name of Trump?. I mean /pol/ seems to make a connection between anti-Trump media and Soros. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Soros to do something.
>>
>>70036449
shill more

i can smell you fucker sitting in a call center right now
>>
>>70033363
Not to mention the group of journalists who have been releasing it are Soros-funded
>>
Very eagerly awaiting a class war. Seriously, I can feel the adrenaline flowing just while typing this.
>>
>>70032267
It's all a conspiracy

The free market can do no wrong
>>
>>70036550
Please keep replying to me. I don't make an hourly wage, Soros and friends pay me per post.
>>
>>70036809
nice script
>>
>>70036924
>0.25 cents have been added to Account: Anon ID# mrTy/+5b

Gracias, Kraut. Keep it coming.
>>
Anyone surprised by any of this is a fucking retard. Politicians and rich people demanding middle class tax hikes while using tax avoidance schemes themselves? Politicians are hypocrites? No shit.

Lamest "happening" ever, and I'm sure it is all designed to distract the idiot masses from things of actual relevance, like always.
>>
>>70037235
Not surprising, just interesting since there's qualitative quantity to this rather than just hearsay
>>
>>70037235
It's interesting, because now there's proof connected to various individuals.
>>
>>70035558
good point

>>70035160
i kekd

>>70035956
tell us more

which is worse, a company helping people avoid paying money forward, or a company compelling people to obtain private information and release eit publiclly, without regard for what and who is involved?
>>
>>70038263
>which is worse, a company helping people avoid paying money forward, or a company compelling people to obtain private information and release eit publiclly, without regard for what and who is involved?
The latter
>>
>>70033659

>water is wet

Spanish education everyone
>>
>>70038533
Nice dubs.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.