[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /pol/ think about Hunter S. Thompson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: Is that Nixon.jpg (276 KB, 2192x1446) Image search: [Google]
Is that Nixon.jpg
276 KB, 2192x1446
What does /pol/ think about Hunter S. Thompson?
>>
When he worked for the rolling stones he made a joke about jesus and when all the jesus freaks called to complain, he created a temporary department to respond to every single call, and they exclusively worked from 2-5 am.

He was fucking hilarious.
>>
File: 1450655623485.jpg (71 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1450655623485.jpg
71 KB, 850x400
>>
>>70026840
Do you remember which book he wrote about Clinton it? I remember reading it during Clinton's first campaign for president, and it described how Clinton told him about how one of their activities back home in Arkansas was playing "stump n hitch", where Billy and his buddies would tie up a donkey and take turns fucking it.

It honestly could have been an essay instead of a book, I don't remember, it was awhile ago. But I know for sure it was written by Hunter.
>>
>>70026384
He's great. I aspire to be more like him.
>>
File: Cexdd0pXIAEGj21.jpg (146 KB, 600x865) Image search: [Google]
Cexdd0pXIAEGj21.jpg
146 KB, 600x865
based as fuck
>>
>>70027574
No idea. I'm not the biggest Thompson aficionado. I think he's a pretty great man with a lot of great ideas but I also think he was really confused like the rest of us trying to understand the government.
>>
I don't agree with him politically (for the most part) but unlike many on the left he wasn't willing to toe the party line (his views on guns, for example). Also a great writer in general.

Plus, he was drinking buddies with Pat Buchanan, he can't be all that bad.
>>
Pretty based, one of the few good lefties and seemed like a total bro (not to mention he was pro-gun as fuck).

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is a great book
>>
>>70026384
Crap journalist, good writer that quickly went downhill once a certain image of him was created.

Was more keen to live up to his persona later in life than contribute anything more of substance. Talent wasted from letting fame go to his head.
>>
I keep hearing you guys calling him a leftie. What exactly makes him a leftie?
>>
>>70026384
Based.
His death is a bit funny though Guy partly killed himself due to being triggered by Dubya.
>>70029242
See above, or dead his writings concerning dubyas, reagan etc included
>>
File: hunter-s-thompson.jpg (70 KB, 651x435) Image search: [Google]
hunter-s-thompson.jpg
70 KB, 651x435
>The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for peace in our time, in the U.S. or any other country. Make no mistake about it: we are at War now- with somebody- and we will stay at war with that strange and mysterious enemy for the rest of our lives."
"It will be a religious war, a sort of christian jihad,fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerrilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy."
"This is going to be an expensive war, and victory is not guaranteed-for anyone, and certainly not for a baffled little creep like George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started a war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child- president, has been chosen by fate and the global oil industry to finish it off
>>
>>70029440
Plenty of people that don't identify as lefties don't like those guys either.

Are there people that consider Thompson to be more of a libertarian? Did Thompson claim to be a marxist?
>>
"We disagree so violently on almost everything that it's a real pleasure to drink with him. If nothing else, he's absolutely honest in his lunacy — and I've found, during my admittedly limited experience in political reporting, that power & honesty very rarely coincide."

HST on Pat Buchanan
>>
>>70026384
Great writer. A man needed in this day and age.
I smoked a joint at Woody Creek yesterday. Clearly he's been on my mind.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x303
>tfw you're out of Ether, Mescaline and LSD blotter paper
>>
>>70029242
He was a fucking anarchist. He literally ran for office as a member of the Freak Power party.
>The Freak Party campaign was unique and unsettling. The Party posters bore a red fist clutching a peyote button. Thompson shaved his head clean. He proposed changing the name of Aspen to Fat City to scare off investors. It's hard to gauge if people actually believed this. On the question of drugs, as Thompson wrote, "We ran straight at the bastards with an out-front mescaline platform." Thompson relented a bit before the election, saying he would refrain from taking mescaline while on duty.
>>
>>70026384
uninspired, and famous for being made famous by the rolling bone.
>>
>>70026384
Great man. We need another.
>>
>>70031043

Whatever, you ignorant cock sucker.
>>
>>70029242
did you see the hst doc? he was a leftie through and through. he shilled hard for the mcgovern campaign. also, pretty sure he ran for sheriff or something and make his town a hippie commune or some shit. based on how things have shifted, he'd maybe be right wing today.
>>
File: amerigger.jpg (24 KB, 510x381) Image search: [Google]
amerigger.jpg
24 KB, 510x381
HST was amazing, as was Gore Vidal. Mighty writers, both of them. Midgets are all we have today.
>>
>>70032003
>HST was amazing, as was Gore Vidal
a hippie and a literal faggot. great taste. and both were always quick to refer to their opponents as nazis.
>>
>>70032477
So what? The right in the US has had a fascist streak for years.
>>
>>70034015
calling someone a nazi is not the same as calling someone a fascist. also, calling someone a nazi is a tactic to shame and silence people when you have run out of arguments. hipsters give them way too much credit.
>>
>>70034988
Yeah, calling someone a nazi is fucking stupid. Nothing productive ever comes from it.
>>
>>70034015
>The right in the US has had a fascist streak for years
Yes, Yeb wetting his pants over racism and Donald Trump us racism.
>>
>>70026671
I must have details of this.
>>
>>70026384
200% American
>>
>>70027574
Wasn't it possible he was just saying this to mislead Hunter?

Or, perhaps, Hunter made that up to convey what he thought of Clinton (in the typical way of the gonzo storytelling technique)?

Call me biased and a fanboy, but I like to believe Hunter thought it was obvious he was making it up, and not trying to lie.
>>
>>70027782
In eEnglish?
>>
>>70031918
He didn't shill, read Campaign '72.

He was very critical of them even as he wrote the book.

I don't think he was very left wing. Liberal, but not left wing.

Whatever, left-right wing is arbitrary terminology that makes no sense. You tend to think of anti-global-warming as left wing but there are plenty of people on the conservative sides that agree with it.

Just say pro or anti, imo.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.