[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Christians pray to God for others' well being? Doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
Why do Christians pray to God for others' well being? Doesn't God in all his omniscience already have a plan for everyone, why would he change his mind over a prayer?
>>
mate, christianity is in retreat
>>
he moves in mysterious ways
>>
Because they want to feel like they have the smallest bit of control in their lives. It's all a bit silly to me.
>>
It's a nice gesture
>>
File: jesus.jpg (75 KB, 480x391) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
75 KB, 480x391
>>70019078
>>
Because the idea that you have power when you actually don't is soothing to the human psyche. It's why the religious are usually happier/more content with the status quo than secular types, which makes them easier to control.
>>
>>70019078
Why do Muslims pray to Allah?
Why do Satanists pray to Satan?
Why do Jews pray to God?
Why do Buddhists believe in Buddha?

Why single out one religion to try and make your retarded point? Lots of people believe in sky fairies, why try to shit on the most reasonable group of sky fairy believers?
>>
>>70019253

This explains literally nothing.
>>
>>70019474
James 5:16, "Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much."
>>
>>70019078
To have feeling of doing something good while expending zero effort.
>>
>>70019325

>most reasonable group of delusional morons

Or how about they're all delusional and none of them get quarter?

>DONT PICK ON THE POOR CHRISTIANS DUDE :(

I think I'll just pick on all of them until they stop believing stupid shit for beta males.
>>
Don't try and find logic in religion, because *spoiler alert* there isn't any.
>>
>>70019719

This still doesn't answer my question in the OP, God already has a plan. Praying for someone to get better or be safe does not sway his plan.
>>
>>70019264
Adding to this, religion with solid moral foundation is almost crucial to a prosperous civilization. It allows the more intelligent leader-types control the masses to productive ends, instead of the mess a lack of direction in moral foundation brings
>>
>>70020067
You can change God's plan. That's why Moses convinced God to let Aaron to help him speak and act as his assistant.
>>
>>70020102

But it also allows room for manipulation of the masses. I think Plato had it right, philosophers need to be Kings or Kings philosophers.
>>
>>70019078
Depends on the denomination
>>
>>70020303

Did God outright ever say this would not happen until Moses asked?
>>
>>70020410

So there are denominations that believe God is not omniscient and omnipotent?
>>
>>70020499
Some believe fate is set, as in praying doesn't change anything, but if you were born to be saved, you pray just to worship God anyway.
>>
>>70020450
No? Your point?
>>
>>70020853

Well, then there is no proof he changed God's mind.
>>
>>70020736

Right, but I'm talking specifically about praying for the health of others. God already knows what he will do with the sick and and in danger, so why pray?
>>
>>70021244
As I said, in some denominations God is more "interactive", in others, not at all.
>>
>>70019078
The Judeo Christian God concept is pretty silly
>>
>>70019078
It's the condescending tone of Christ fags I hate the most.

Jew on a stick.
>>
>>70019078
the goal is to be a better person, God's plans don't change, but prayer's heart transform.
>>
File: 1455663959659.jpg (141 KB, 700x850) Image search: [Google]
1455663959659.jpg
141 KB, 700x850
“The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.” - Soren
>>
>>70019325
only Islam is the most reasonable group of religion. but even then, a pedophile and blatant murder because YOU DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I DO...
>>
>>70019078
I never supplicate in my prayers because of this.
>>
Maybe because God isn't all knowing and fucks up from time to time?
>>70021244
I really don't think God is really all that benevolent either. What you describe is kind of sociopathic - GIVE ME ATTENTION AND PRAISE WHILE POTENTIALLY INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE AND I DO NOTHING ABOUT IT!
>>
>>70019078
>why wont God behave exactly as i want him to behave

Lmao who the fuck are you. Sage
>>
>>70021756
>>70021752

So it changes nothing, like I suggested.
>>
>>70021770
Shut up! My God is better than yours.

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>70021878

I don't think you understand my point.
>>
>>70021883
a-are, are you retarded? "but rather to CHANGE the nature of the one who prays."
>>
>>70021883
fuck it, you've a point.
>>
>>70019078

protestants don't really understand prayer.

technically, prayer is only meant to get you into heaven more quickly.

also, prayer is not meant to influence anything that happens on Earth.

doing things like praying you get a job, or praying your car makes it to the next gas station, or praying your house doesn't burn down while you're on vacation; does NOTHING.
>>
Jesus specifically said God already knows what you need and taught people how to pay the our father. Jesus also said that no one is good but God alone yet Christians believe whatever comes out their asshole is holy and worthy of worship.
>>
>>70021650

the 'judeo Christian' phrase is even sillier.

there's no judeo in true Christianity. jews are damn near the enemy.
>>
Why do the epistles get lumped in with the rest of the bible as the word of God? I can see the Gospels because it's the account of Christ. I can see acts because it's the account of the early church. I can see revelations because it's prophecy. Why letters either to a person or church? Why are they scripture but an email from the Pope to one of his Cardinals not scripture?
>>
>>70023002
This, like the only reason we have the old testament is it helps frame Jesus' arguments (it also demonstrates some continuity)
>>
>>70022186

But if you're already the type of person to hope for others, than how did prayer help?
>>
>>70022693
That's funny because that's literally the protestant interpretation of prayer.

Catholics are the ones praying constantly to their mini deities to grant them worldly boons because they still believe in magic.
>>
>>70023002

Are you being dumb on purpose?
>>
People only care about people when they're dead.
>>
>>70023171
Catholics don't pray to anyonw, but God. They do venerate to some figures though
>>
File: Vision Serpent.jpg.jpg (63 KB, 448x508) Image search: [Google]
Vision Serpent.jpg.jpg
63 KB, 448x508
>>70019078
praying appears to be a form of petitioning the gods to do something, it's true God would already know what to do and be able to do it though.
>>
>>70023245
The Jews of the Bible are not the modern Jews, and they were probably not even called Jews then. Modern Judaism is a cult started by 80 elders who disavowed Moses.
>>
>>70023245

True Christians have little to nothing to do with the old testament.

it's used as a basic framework of a few loose ideas. That's it.

the Christians that do nothing but spew fire and brimstone/jews are Gods chosenites bullshit; are not real Christians. They are jew worshipping morons.
>>
>>70023763

OK, but the old testament is still a Jewish text. We didn't call apples 'apples' thousands of years ago, but generally that's how we refer to them now.
>>
>>70023903

Wasn't Jesus Jewish?
>>
>>70023763
>Modern Judaism is a cult started by 80 elders who disavowed Moses
I need that sauce famalamadingdong.
>>
>>70024128

irrelevant. Jesus is God. Jesus brought humanity AWAY from jewish law and jewish tradition, which is why they killed him.
>>
>>70019078
>Plan for everyone
>Knowing what will happen because omnipotent and allows freewill.

Know the difference. And I'm pretty sure that God intervenes from time to time.
>>
>>70024257

Which is why people say judeo Christian and not Jewish. It doesn't matter how irrelevant it is, it's part of the Bible's history.
>>
>>70024128
yea but he said he would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days. que the catholic church.
>>
>>70019719
>The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much
>No prayer is effective and there are no righteous men
>Feelings soothed without lying
>>
>>70019078
The Catechisms of The Catholic Church hold a number of teachings on prayer. In its simplest form it's lifting your mind to be closer to God. There are prayers of petition that protest God's plan, but that protest might already be part of his plan.
>>
>>70024293

God know all because he is omniscient, not omnipotent. According to the stories he does intervene, but as he demands, not others.
>>
>>70019325
This

>>70019848
You're a stupid faggot, someone like Tim Tebow would snap you in half like a twig.

t. atheist
>>
>>70024546

So you still change nothing.
>>
>>70024433

no. it was a clean break.

the 10 commandments are literally the only thing left that's relevant to Christianity.
>>
>>70019325
>Why do Buddhists believe in Buddha
>Buddha was not a real person
>Buddhism is a theistic religion.
>Buddhism is comparable to Abrahamic religions

Seriously though, why do you talk about things you have no idea about? Do you just want to believe you know something about the world?
>>
>>70024047
It's a proto-judeaic as in Judea not Jew. The modern Jews don't even hold to much of the Old Testament or even the Torah they're concerned with the Talmud.
>>70024212
It's called the Talmud. The text that contains the oral traditions of these elders refered to in the Bible as Pharisees. These elders were more concerned with their traditions than Moses' because they thought they had a better connection with God.
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/14213-talmud
>>
>>70024600
>Omniscent
Then why did he ask Adam in the garden what he was going and where he'd been? Seems like something he should have known.
>omnipotent
He could literally end all pain and suffering in the world instantly, yet he doesn't. He even lets fucking Satan walk around fucking around with shit unimpeded. Not very omnipotent if you ask me.
>>
>>70024803

>it was a clean break
>some stuff was left over

Pick one.
>>
>>70024681
I certainly won't change your mind because it seems you have already made it up. There are countless references in the CCC otherwise
>>
>>70025200

Clearly he allows these things, this is why Christianity makes zero sense. God is stated in the bible to be omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.
>>
CUZZ UMM JESUS!!@12211
>>
>>70019078
Because people, according to Christianity, were given free will, and through prayer you ask for forgiveness from God and strength to get through certain events
>>
>>70025622

But free will does not mean you can sway God from his plan.
>>
>>70025945
>sway God from his plan.
That's a tricky question

Was having Adam and Eve get caught all part of his master plan?
What's the next step of his master plan?
>>
>>70026118

Why does he wear the beard?
>>
>>70021139
Theres also no proof you really believe that or that the earth is flat.
>>
>>70025406

It makes sense, if you accept that God isn't good.

This is why Christians are near-universally retarded. Either God isn't omnipotent or he isn't the force of pure goodness they claim him to be. There is no inbetween here.
>>
>>70025406
Yeah. Obviously there is a god, but there's something fishy going on here.
>>70025622
>Gives humans free will
>Gets surprised when they rebel
>Throws a temper tantrum damning everything in existence and punishes Adam and Eve for something he set up
>>
>>70023136
If you're already the type to be tunnel sighted, how does shit posting help?
>>
>>70026118

God: Was eating the apple part of your plan?
Eve: off course!
God: well congratulations you ate the apple what's the next part of your master plan.
Eve: Crashing this garden with no survivors!
>>
>>70026836

So you have no argument.
>>
>>70027272

I am Eden's reconning!
>>
>>70027272

Or perhaps he's wondering why a god would create man before flooding the earth.
>>
>>70027979
It's obvious he never meant to flood it in the first place, so he's not all-knowing there. Either that or he did, in which case he's not benevolent for creating humans only then to want to kill them all off afterwards.
>>
File: first cause.jpg (38 KB, 660x501) Image search: [Google]
first cause.jpg
38 KB, 660x501
>>70019078
If their god simply blessed everyone who ever was alive, is alive or who will be alive in the future couldn't dead jew living god negate reasons for himself and disappear into a back hole?
>>
File: 1458499950918.jpg (71 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
1458499950918.jpg
71 KB, 575x575
>>70030626

Wut?
>>
>>70019325

Holy shit and they say feminist get triggered.
>>
>>70026597

What
>>
>>70019078

>expecting logic from christ-tards
>>
>>70021869
>What you describe is kind of sociopathic
Funny you should mention that...
>psychopathic god most likely made up by psychopathic person
>Moses was probably Egyptian royalty
>royalty more likely to be psychopathic due to cheating strategy/lack of guilt for immoral actions
Hmmmm...I think I see a pattern forming here!
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.