[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /pol/ are you inspired? http://www.foxnews.com/health/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (605 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
605 KB, 750x1334
Well /pol/ are you inspired?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/04/inspiring-8th-grader-refuses-to-calculate-her-bmi.html

key highlights:

>The self-described "bigger girl" opens up about her own body image struggles, which recently involved trying "to wrap Ace bandages around my stomach so I'd look skinnier." Her concerned parents took her to her doctor, "a man who went to college for eight years studying children's health [and] told me my height and weight are right on track." She concludes by writing that her BMI is not only "none of your concern" but is also "beautiful," as is her body.

>She also argues that BMI is an outdated index that has "absolutely no way of discriminating [between] fat and muscle."
>>
>>69934425
to be fair BMI isn't that great a measurement but nothing will change the fact that shes a fat girl
>>
>2016
>Using inches
>ISHYGDDT
>>
>>69934425
well she is correct, BMI only gives a vague idea, for a proper idea of ones body weight you need to measure muscle and fat percentages
>>
File: most-fit21.jpg (41 KB, 491x368) Image search: [Google]
most-fit21.jpg
41 KB, 491x368
Unless she looks like image, that's bullshit
>>
>>69934425
>Courageous 70 year old refuses to take her blood pressure
Shit's not brave, it's unhealthy
>>
>>69934425
She's a big girl.
>>
Damn it OP stop trying to make me mad. I was having a good day.
>>
>these numbers fall say what I think are fine
>ignore that I am 14 years old, 225lbs and 5'7"
>>
>>69934570
>>69934779
BMI is completely fine on 99% of the population. It does not account for overly muscular people but if she gets triggered by calculating her BMI she's probably a 300 pound landwhale. It's America after all
>>
Well she's not wrong, BMI is more a vague idea like someone said before

However, theres no doubt in my mind that her body type is genetics
>>
>>69934570
BMI is a great measurement.
>>69935340
>overly muscular people
Has similar effect on health as being fat. Cardiovascular system suffers.
>>
>>69934425
Does she think people won't know she's a pork moon if they don't have that number? I don't even need a description.
>>
>>69935620
>overly muscular people
>Has similar effect on health as being fat.
>>
>>69934425
BMI is just one measure. If she really went to a pediatrician and he checked not just body mass but blood pressure, sugar, cholesterol, diet/exercise habits, etc. and declared her healthy, than that's good enough for me.
>>
>>69934921
You need to be more brave and accepting.

Why don't you praise this brave girl?
>>
>>69934425
Spotted the landwhale.
>>
File: Wall-E-2-fat-humans.jpg (271 KB, 1435x597) Image search: [Google]
Wall-E-2-fat-humans.jpg
271 KB, 1435x597
Man, the whole fat acceptance movement is probably the jewiest of them all

Like we don't find fatties attractive for the most part, but standards seem to be changing... for kids growing up in the age of the internet with all of this fat glorification, fat sluts filling every screen, showing their bodies, their skin

What happens when fat slut becomes the standard of beauty huh

Everyone will be fat mixed race dopamine addicted fucks in the future

>tfw when you realize WALL-E got it right
>>
>>69934570
BMI is brilliant, because it just werks in 99% of cases, and in the cases that it doesn't, it is immediately obvious.
>>
>>69935620
shutup Monte Negro
>>
>>69934425
Obviously this bitch is just a fatty.

But I have to say, BMI doesn't make much sense to me. Especially when we have scales that can tell you how many pounds of water, fat, and muscle makes up your body.

I used to be a 500 pound fat fuck. I had the gastric sleeve surgery when I was 18. I lost 285 pounds, I got down to 215 within a year and a half. My BMI at 215 was 29, which is one point away from obesity. I would need to be 180 to be considered in the normal range.

The reason it seems stupid to me, is because I didn't look, or feel healthy at that weight. People always told me I looked weak, or sickly, and you could see all of the bones poking out. I was told to start working out and building muscle, and I gained weight because of that, making my BMI go up. How is that supposed to work?

My doctor says it's because of the excess skin I have from be a huge monstrosity. He said I have about 30+lbs of excess skin and the only way to get rid of it is cosmetic surgery. I guess BMI is accurate for most people, but not in my case.
>>
>>69940412
BMI works 99.9% of the time. Of course it doesn't account for other factors such as what kind of food you eat, how much sun and exercise you get, or other behavioral issues.

Your situation, along with someone who is extremely muscular, can give misleading BMI results.

A 5'8 guy who is 190lbs, but benches 350 will be considered obese even if his actual body fat percentage is low.

Other than that BMI will be right most of the time.
>>
>>69934425
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoSJ1y1FSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOyebcrVWb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlMKcuNGEeU
>>
>>69934425
>Girl is so inspirational for refusing to do homework.
This is why kids are growing up stupid and too many schools are supporting it. Finding a way to see an assignment triggering so that you can refuse to do it is just shows what this generation of students will become. And I bet the teachers supported it, her doctor clearly supports it, any therapist or councillors absolutely support it and, of course, her safe space of friends & followers online support 100%

We now have the laziest, most stupid and argumentative generation ever.
>>
>>69942504
We sure do. I substitute at a middle school (7th and 8th) and there are tons of gays and transgenders. It is so fucking odd I never knew it was true. It disgusts me, and only one other teacher despises it besides me. They care about their pussy piercings and getting drunk rather than doing their work and becoming functioning human being.
>>
>>69935340
THANKYOU, everyone uses the cliched fucking body builder example, but not only is that so rare, even in those cases it still correlates to negative health outcomes.

Most importantly, BMI ALONG WITH other biometric measurements like visceral fat offer really strong predictions of future health.

No measurement is perfect, doesn't fucking invalidate it. Come up with a better one chubs
>>
>>69934425
>BMI is an outdated index that has "absolutely no way of discriminating [between] fat and muscle."
Go do a pull up then.
>>
>>69937596
fat slut will never be the standard of beauty.

No matter how hard they whine, SJW's can't change genetics. We're hardwired to find certain body types attractive.
>>
Can I sue my doctor for telling me I'm fat yet?
>>
1. this is stupid but BMI is even stupider
2. all you really need is FFMI & bodyfat %
>>
>>69943446
BMI is horrible for anyone muscular. It is a function of height and weight. If you are solid muscle benching 500, your BMI will be less optimal than a 130lbs 5'8" person.
>>
I am "overweight" according to my BMI. I am a 25 at 190lbs and 6'0" with 12 percent body fat.

BMI isn't really a good indicator of health, however fatties should go to a camp.
>>
>>69944116
I know, but if you can't even do a pull up you have no grounds to be making that argument.
>>
>>69944252
I'll "pull out" your ass hairs with my teeth you faggot
>>
She gets an F.......for fat!
>>
>>69944116
>BMI is horrible for anyone muscular. It
>>69944153
>I am "overweight" according to my BMI. I am a 25 at 190lbs and 6'0" with 12 percent body fat.
>BMI isn't really a good indicator of health

Butthurt /fit/izens can't realize the majority of people will never have enough muscle to skew the BMI and that it's an excuse by fatties 99% of the time.
>>
>>69934425
Well yes BMI is not a good measure based on its relative simplicity. It does not account for muscle at all.

However, most of the people I see making that argument look like pears balanced on toothpicks.
>>
I fucking hate obese people. Nothing wrong with some extra weight, but being a whale is just disrespectful to yourself and a burden for society. There is no logical way to justify the inability to stop fucking eating all the time.
>>
File: 1454194852259.jpg (105 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1454194852259.jpg
105 KB, 900x900
>>69934425
>go to sunday school as 8th grader
>be really proud and share with the class how I had a perfect bmi
>several fat kids plus the teacher give me shit and tell me to stop showing off
>>
>>69934425
She's actually within her rights. Imagine if it were a project about measuring dick length or vagina volume? Its medical privacy.

That said her father should commit murder-murder-suicide for raising a fat kid.
>>
Being happy > healthy. Weight is meaningless.
>>
>>69935620
Being super muscular but still lean is absolutely not as bad as just being fat.
>>
>>69945414
To be fair we had dick measuring contests all the time when we were kids
>>
>>69945414
those weren't projects those were social functions outside of school.
>>
>>69942998
Can you tell us more stories? My mom works in schools and I never heard her coming across gay/trans kids. She teaches at a private school so maybe that's why.... but still, can you elaborate?
>>
>>69934425
why is this news?
>>
>>69934425
>>She also argues that BMI is an outdated index that has "absolutely no way of discriminating [between] fat and muscle."
Oh shit, I didn't know /fit/ was an 8th grade girl.
>>
>>69945414
Didn't you have penis inspection day in gym class?
>>
>>69934779
I'm going to go ahead and say this girl doesn't have enough muscle mass to make BMI irrelevant.
>>
>>69946000
Is anyone still interested in stories? I was eating and I'll gladly tell some.
>>
>>69947925
I'm still around.
>>
File: 1456341705442.jpg (81 KB, 798x960) Image search: [Google]
1456341705442.jpg
81 KB, 798x960
>>69948216
Alright I'll make a new thread about it. Stay tuned
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.