[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Told by my family to major in "whats in demand"/STEM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: Dam.jpg (23 KB, 350x234) Image search: [Google]
Dam.jpg
23 KB, 350x234
>Told by my family to major in "whats in demand"/STEM
>Majored in EE at UCLA with a 3.5
>No jobs anywhere to be found after grad
>Actively told that "STEM need not apply"
>tfw all my friends in liberal arts pull six figures
>tfw fell for the STEM meme
>>
>be me
>computer engineering
>do okay in school, senior with 3.2 gpa
>did a programming internship
>get swarms of emails every day after posting my resume online
>get hired for 80k programming job before I even graduate
>>
STEM is the best, but only if your really good at what you do.

Chances are you are mediocre at what you do. The only thing that can blamed is yourself.
>>
>>69827360
Try looking for a recruiter in your area. You may not get exactly what you wanted, but it'll put food on the table.

What you majored in really doesn't really matter after a few years anyway
>>
>>69827360
Considering the mortality rate of Underwater engineers, I'm surprise there isn't any openings.
>>
Iktfb. I think part of the reason I'm having trouble finding a job is cause I'm autistic as fugg. A prisoner of my own personality if you will.
>>
>>69827360
I work for a company in Santa Monica that provides data analytics and we can't find enough people with strong math or programming skills.

I don't know what your problems is.
>>
>>69828696
Do you hire Autists like muhself?
>>
This would be better bait if you had something that wasn't EE. There is no way this would ever happen
>>
>>69827360

I find it hard to believe that in a country the size of American, with a degree like EE that comes with a hard skillset, there are no jobs to be found.

You're full of shit, OP.
>>
>>69827360
>be me
>could get into any school in Canada in any program when graduating high school
>don't know what I want to do
>"weee History!!!"
>4 years later
>BA
>couldn't get a fuckin job as a desk jockey answering emails all day

Going back to do mining. Nice waste of four years of my life.
>>
>>69827360
Seriously?
I'm a pretty poor programmer and I get an email every couple of days asking me to apply for software engineering/data science/bioinformatics at company X, and I haven't been on the job market in like three years.
>>
> be me
> major in English
> read great books in a department that was literally 95% female
> only three assignments a semester
> all afternoon classes, three days a week
> no attendance policy so I didn't even have to go
> graduate
> work as a writer for three years because most people can't write for shit
> make dosh
> take LSAT
> score in the 99th percentile because of critical thinking skills developed through studying literature
> get full ride to top 20 law school
> average starting salary for graduates in area of my school is $145k per year, not including bonuses
> typical salary increases by $15k per year
> even more if I want to move to NYC or the Bay area

STEM is not just boring, it also provides no job security (all of those jobs are going to India and China soon) and limited room for growth. Lawyers make cash in both good and bad times.
>>
>>69830890
>be american
>get paid by military industrial complex
It's literally illegal to outsource my job :^)
>>
>>69830710
i got a ba too, but had a great time in uni. just top your education off with a one year college course in something decent and get a real job.
>>
>>69831128

I'm happy for you - I just hope that DUDE FREE SHIT doesn't cut your gig or your contract dries up because of sequester restrictions.
>>
>>69830890
Wow, so you're saying lawyers make a lot of money. Thank you for blessing us all with that nugget of precious wisdom.
>>
>>69831246
Thanks.
>>
>>69830890

yeah I found myself without a job and had to take this shitty rFPGA start up position like an hour away.

Fucking like 92k. I feel like a poorfag. I was making 140k before. I fucking hate Indians, they're everywhere.
>>
>>69827360
300,000 new STEM jobs created every year

700,000 new STEM graduates every year.

You'd think they'd be able to do math.
>>
>>69830890
>lawyers

How does it feel being paid to lie?
>>
>>69831444

Not only is the money great, but it's also impossible to outsource the position to some poorly trained foreign graduate.
>>
>>69827360
>Actively told that "STEM need not apply"

Nice bait liberal arts cuck
>>
>tfw studied law

Doing the BPTC right now
>>
>>69831373
Even if he does, DUDE FREE SHIT would want to spend more money on other public sector engineering type projects.

Luckily Shillary or Trump will win and there'll be more money than ever spent of the millitary!
>>
>>69830890

>thinks STEM is boring
>becoming a lawyer

You're in for a world of hurt if you think law is going to be the pinnacle of excitement and novelty once you graduate
>>
>>69831567

I'm just a law student right now - focusing on how to ensure that people don't have to give all of their money to Commissar Sanders.

The best part about being a lawyer is, if you're actually good at the job, you don't have to lie. You simply uncover other peoples' lies and use them as leverage.

It's a very honest profession - any lying gets you fucked immediately.
>>
>>69831540
For Software Devel, it's 140k new, 40k go filled

I hope I'm in the right major :^)
>>
File: 1429741218727.jpg (118 KB, 1384x691) Image search: [Google]
1429741218727.jpg
118 KB, 1384x691
2 Years since my last job, and I think I sperged myself out of another chance at my last interview.
>>
>>69827360
>falling down the stairs meme
>>
>>69827360
You're fucking full of shit. Post a timestamp with your degree faggot.
>>
What unemployed graduates don't understand is that a degree is secondary to internship experience when looking for a job out of college.

Doesn't matter if you're STEM or liberal arts. If you don't have any real-world experience by the time you graduate, you're likely fucked.
>>
>>69830890
>be lawyer
>wake up everyday and go to work with the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2015/03/25/lets-automate-all-the-lawyers/
I'm not saying get out of law school, but I'd suggest loading up on programming and AI knowledge before you start. Law will never completely disappear as a profession, but it's about to get a lot smaller and a lot more technical.

Good luck bro.
>>
>>69832130

I'd say it's more about this generation's feelings of entitlement, the idea that because they completed college, they're somehow OWED work - like they should be able to skip all the bullshit lower level shit where you earn your stripes and jump directly to the large salary. They can't even be bothered with interviews.

And so they fail at the basics - they send cookie-cutter resumes away to various places without even reading up on what the fucking companies do or their structure or any of that shit and then when they inevitably get rejected, they never think it's their fault.

Having no skillset or being a complete noob with zero internships is not a problem - A: because you can always apply to those internships anyway and B: even if you don't, if you show a genuine interest and desire to work from the bottom up at a particular company and pay your dues, they will employ you.
>>
I went to med school.

With minimal effort in residency i should have a cozy 250k to 350k position by 30.

A more intensive attempt at a real tough residency gets me 600k a year by 35.
>>
>>69827699
I haven't graduated yet (information assurance/ITSEC) but I might get a job writing security policies for 75k-90k. Met a friend who referred me to the job, hopefully I get an opportunity like you m8.
>>
>>69832188

Eh, this only really applies to a narrow slice of the field. There's a lot more to lawyering than discovery. Judges' decision making is notoriously erratic and you will (presumably) always have to rely on juries, which are also very difficult to predict.

Don't get me wrong, eDiscovery is an important development, but it's hardly earthshattering.
>>
>>69832770
>80 hours a week
>cozy
>>
>>69830890
>STEM is boring
>learning Law isn't
>KEK
>>
>>69832891
Well you have a point. Definently. I can't say that it will not be like that. At least i like the profession. I really do like helping people and the science behind all this.

Im hoping i just get weekends off or the occadional friday. I know that vacation is 6 weeks a year and totally paid too.
>>
File: happy block.jpg (61 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
happy block.jpg
61 KB, 1366x768

Is shilling for liberal arts a thing now?

Also, OP, if indeed all your friends with Liberal Arts degrees are making 6 figures, and you can indeed not find a job with an Electrical Engineering degree and solid GPA, you are a fat retarded loser who has somehow befriended the only SJW's on the planet with jobs.
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 1280x720
>Be me get degree in EE
>No internship, research experience
>Graduate with 3.5
>Picked out of 100 candidates for a design position because I do home projects.

Feels good man
>>
>>69828696
If I have a masters in math but nearly 0% experience in programing (I took a matlab course once...) what are my outlooks if I applied.
>>
>>69827360
>literally just making shit up
>>
>>69832844
>There's a lot more to lawyering than discovery.

Obviously, but automation isn't going to stop at discovery.
>>
>>69832835
How sould draining is it going to be? What does your general workday look like in that.

Personally i would have just become a landscaper or electrician before going to college for one of the normal office jobs a lot of people do.
>>
>>69827360
Haha idiot, 25 yo w/ gender studies degree pulling 125k here
>>
>>69827360
The problem with STEM is that it was a good idea a generation ago and it's taken normies a long time to get the message.

Back when it was true, you had to pay attention to realize it was going to provide you a long and lucrative career. That it has finally reached "common knowledge" status should be a red flag on its own that it's 10-20 years out of date. Anyone who was clever is already doing it and the market is way oversaturated with fresh graduates. Now the only people who can get a job either have very competitive credentials or they can accept extremely competitive wages.

The news reached your family late because they are normies and they have pushed you into a dead industry so you can ride on the coattails of the nerds they made fun of in high school.
>>
>>69832960

> STEM
> working 70hrs a week as a temp reviewing spreadsheets while you wait for Panjeeb and Bao to take over your job
> Law
> work 70hrs a week to outmanuever some of the smartest people people on the planet on matters involving millions of dollars or even life and death, knowing that there will always be work
>>
>>69833193
Congratz man
>>
>>69828696
How many years experience will I need for an entry-level position?
>>
i fell for the stem meme.. worst decision of my life.
>>
>>69827360
This is either fake or you're a social retard. If you have a degree in engineering, you can land pretty much any job that isn't law or medicine, especially if you went to a good school and have a good GPA.
>>
File: 1334203453742.png (52 KB, 238x195) Image search: [Google]
1334203453742.png
52 KB, 238x195
No, you just went full retard and allowed other people to lead you around by your nose instead of making your own decisions.

Nobody makes you do anything, it's your responsibility to invest in your future.
>>
>>69833446
Thanks man, my home project was an automated pet feeder I made out of a tennis ball container, a servo motor, and an Arduino board haha. If you want to get hired in engineering, do home projects
>>
>>69830890
>getting into law when their market is in a literal downturn with tons of people out of jobs
lol, good one
>>
I don't get it, lads. If STEM is a meme then WHAT isn't? I know for a fact that liberal arts is fucking useless. Saying otherwise is a surefire way to be outed as a troll. Law is okay but it's boring, and I don't have any passion for medicine.
>>
File: 1459375946211.png (591 KB, 756x700) Image search: [Google]
1459375946211.png
591 KB, 756x700
>tfw Software Engineering graduate

>tfw I am lazy and don't even apply for jobs for 4 months after I graduate out of fear, lazyness, etc

>tfw I finally decide fuck it, I will start to apply

>ftw I get many interviews, go into a company that seems interesting

>tfw they are looking for someone who is a good communicator and a team player

>tfw I am a master at bullshitting

>tfw I start at 64k and benefits like healthcare and retirement and corporate contribution

>tfw I made it, I honestly feel like the dark cloud looming over my life has been lifted and things will get better

>tfw I know it something with happen in the near future to take this all away from me, no way life can be this kind without some war breaking out and forcing me away now that I finally found a purpose
>>
>>69833755

The market is only on a downturn for people who went to shit schools and got shit grades.
>>
>>69831567
>How does it feel being paid to lie?

what kind of a fucking stupid question is that? pussy.
>>
>>69833751
That is the fucking coolest thing. God dammit. You know back in high school i took an engineering course and loved it, i built a pvc pipe table jumper that ki d of pole vaulted its other half once the heavier half fell down on the opposite table. I really enjoyed buulding stuff.
>>
>>69827360
Those art fags are lying to you. They make 0 money but pretend they all "made" it
>>
>>69827360

>IE bachelors
>3.96 GPA
>94k starting, determining Fabrication Plan capabilities
>Zero debt
>been 2 years, now I'm up to 120k

STEM = nearly guaranteed job, with great pay
>>
>>69831567
Actually us doctors lie a whole lot more. The patient wants to hear a lie, not the cold hard truth. It is better that way. Id rather my poor patients live care free for as long as they have left instead of being in hell for that time.
>>
three are no jobs for white men
>>
>>69833851
A lot of people get pushed into EE and CS because they are widely recognized as good majors. A lot of STEM is still good but these two in particularly are common to the point where you need to be very good to land a job. These employers are getting like 100 applicants for every new position so if you aren't the best of the best you can get nowhere.

And that makes a lot of rational sense, but people are told going into college that these are so popular because they will be guaranteed a good job because these are growing industries. They aren't budding industries anymore, they're completely mainstream. They are going to have to compete, but they are told that they won't.
>>
>>69833751
I actually did similar except it was time based. Props to you anon.
>>
>>69833851

The real secret is to just be very good at whatever you end up doing. I studied English Literature, but have never worked in a job where I actually used my knowledge of literature. Strong grades are a good indicator of transferable skills (writing, critical thinking, etc.) that people want.

I'll be the first to say that the overwhelming majority of liberal arts majors are worthless, but the people who actually apply themselves in the field have pretty amazing opportunities. The same applies to STEM..
>>
>>69827360
fake and gay
>>
>Doing 5 yrs in military in IT
>Going to Korea for 1 year
>Will drop a packet to go to school and get out 1 year early
>Going to be ballin in IT :^)
GA needs so many IT people yet no one is capable so I would just look for work there.
>>
>>69834001

This. And the sudden inclusion of absolutely fucking everything under the banner of 'STEM' from people who want to be seen to be on the bandwagon.

Like if you spent three years at some diploma factory learning a few programming languages, you're not really a 'computer scientist'. If you learned assembly at MIT, then, yeah, maybe you can use that term but other than that, you're basically a more expensive version of Pajeet - it's a monkey's job, 90% of the time. On the other hand, if you have a degree in physics or some shit, you're probably always going to be employable because you can leverage it into so many things.

Nascially:

>old school STEM subjects - solid ground
>'new' STEM subjects - horseshit
>>
>>69834001
so, 95% of them?

but either way, you just said a general statement that holds true for all industries.
However,in comparison to other job types, lawyers are definitely on the decline and have been for a few years. Placement is definitely more difficult right now. Tough call to make when you are putting yourself in massive debt for a shaky shot at getting a job.
>>
>>69827360
>be me
>computer engineer
>gpa 8
>university alumni incudes some hotshot CEOs
>so get a 100k job offer from FB
>decline
>go to Stanford
>suck at studies because still a depressed beta virgin
>drop out
>mom commits suicide consequently
>NEET after that for a year
>go back to India
>earn shit money for a while with TATA
>quit in a year
>NEET again
>thinking of going back to Stanford but suck at my job now and don't want to be a programmer anymore
>want to just smoke pot and kill myself
>clinical depression achieved

THE END.
>>
>>69834605
There are no accredited computer science programs in the United States where you are not required to learn assembly. What the fuck do you think people do for 4 years? Learn to speak Hindi?
>>
>>69834770

>gpa 8
>8

How's that cheating working for you raj?
>>
>>69830890
>no job security (all of those jobs are going to India and China soon)

Are you posting from 2003?

No reputable company (software, at least) outsources anymore because the quality is so shit.

Besides, eastern Europe is all the rage for outsourcing these days.
>>
>>69834901
>Learn to speak Hindi?

That might be a better time investment given the amount of poo in loos in your field.
>>
File: 1459162092105.jpg (385 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1459162092105.jpg
385 KB, 960x1280
>>69834770
POO
>>
>>69830890
If can test that well, it doesn't matter what you do.

Tech is undoubtedly best for the average person, there is huge desire for even mediocre people. My last company was hire grads with a CS degree, no experience required because there is such a dearth of tech workers where I live.

Also be careful of ageism in law. Partner is getting ridiculously hard to achieve anymore. My Uncle is partner at a great firm, and has told his daughter and my cousin to not bother because there are better industries. They use and burn out people by the time they are 40. Same thing with tech.
>>
>>69835419
The difference with tech is that junior level salaries are so high that you will have enough to retire on by 40, whereas in law and medicine they pay like shit until you reach senior level, if you ever do.
>>
>Entry level job
>Required: bachelor's degree, 35 years experience, knowledge of every computer program known to man
>Starting pay: $10/hr
Yay STEM!
>>
File: 1444485640904.png (69 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
1444485640904.png
69 KB, 224x224
>>69830710
>Taking a History degree
>Complaining when you dont get a job

Please off yourself
>>
>>69827360
>leave army
>study economics
>land consulting job a year before I graduate
>everything I do is quant analysis and data work and the industry is booming
>implying quant skills aren't in high demand
You don't find jobs because you're shit
>>
File: blowjobisover.jpg (21 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
blowjobisover.jpg
21 KB, 480x319
>>69827360
>TFW an actual Indian guy tells me that Indians are taking all the jobs and undercutting not only the native population, but they are undercutting OTHER Poo Loos for work.
>>
>>69835690
>Entry level job
>Required: worthwhile skills that require practical skills
>Starting pay: $5/ hr
Yay liberal arts!
>>
>>69834770

Bro, I know you're in a tough spot, but you need to finish up at Stanford - you can do a lot of things besides programming with a degree from that institution.

I'm sorry for your hardship, but the only way to recover is to power through. The problem won't fix itself. It will only get harder the longer you wait to get on the horse.

Good luck to you
>>
>>69834243
Pretty sure that must be illegal
>>
What fucking jobs are you applying for where people tell you "STEM need not apply"? Non-STEM jobs?
>>
>>69827360
>liberal arts
>six figures
welp I better go and kill myself then
>>
>>69827360
Go look for military subcontractors. It's the fucking USA.
>>
>>69836505
>Serbian doctor
Of course it's illegal.
>>
>>69834030
Thanks man, the other trick is to have a cool senior design project.

Good jobs are there, just don't talk like a social autist and talk about your engineering related hobbies and people will hire you
>>
File: hillary-thanks-for-the-vote-fam.jpg (107 KB, 600x1037) Image search: [Google]
hillary-thanks-for-the-vote-fam.jpg
107 KB, 600x1037
>family tells me i need to go to college
>really don't want to
>end up applying and going
>never know what i want to do, never found out
>my mom is a doctor, my dad is exec
>they tell me "oh, do what you love!"
>...this was a while ago
>study philosophy and history
>get out, end up working a stupid office job
>absolutely hate it
>get laid off around 09
>end up becoming a carpenter
>i enjoy it

if i had to go back and do it again, i'd study mathematics. i never had a strong talent for math, but i always enjoyed it and the one thing wasting time and money on the humanities taught me was an appreciation for the relatively cleanliness of mathematics.

now i'm just an alcoholic carpenter.
>>
>>69833193

But what about the other 99?
>>
>>69827360
>no jobs in stem

top kek

Just because you're too autistic to understand proper networking doesn't mean there are no jobs in stem. There are always jobs in stem.
>>
>>69835851
Most quantitative analysts are guys with MS+ in computer engineering/science, financial engineering, mathematics, physics, etc.

not some schmo studying shit tier econ.
>>
>>69835690

This is what liberal arts majors actually believe.
>>
>>69839440

Very few quants are computer science grads. The banks almost exclusively require either math or physics postgrads or PhDs for quant jobs, the thinking being that if you went to a good school for either, you're going to be able to program anyway (especially in physics). The truth of the matter is that CS grads simply don't know enough high level mathematics (and how to apply it) to be quants.
>>
but my GPA..
>>
>>69832770
Ahahahaha you fucking faggot, maybe residency is easy in your socialist fuckhole of a healthcare system. Come to an American residency with that attitude and promptly get your sphincter dilated to triple its size you fucking pleb
>>
>>69833383
The problem is that normies are keeping actual competent autists out of the industry because they are more appealing on the surface.
>>
>>69835707
I was 3 years in before i realized what a mistake it was, then I thought I might as well finish.

Shit sucks senpai, it's like getting divorced. At least I don't have any debt and my parents will let me live with them as i go to the local polytech college. I mean they were the ones that pushed me to go to the "presitigous" university anyway to make them happy, if they hadn't I might have realized the mistake i made after 1 year instead of wasting 4.
>>
>>69830710
Mining as in mineral engineering? Its fucking useless.
>>
>>69843741
>Mining as in mineral engineering?

yes
>>
>>69832188
Outside of T-14 law schools many lawyers spend their days doing property searches and validating legal documents. It is a world of heavy and tedious workloads just to pay down your law school debt.

Every lawyer Ive talked to said they would NOT do it again if they had the chance.
>>
>>69839672
My buddy does graphic design for some smallish local firm. His company was firing some computer coding/design folks (cant remember what). Anyway, it was an entry level job and tehy were offering $50k for it.

This was just one position (among several open) at one place in a moderate size midwestern city. Yeah, compare that to liberal arts jobs where there are maybe one opening at all in most cities.
>>
>>69839745
Yep. Buddy got hired by a bank. PhD engineer.
>>
File: You're making me nervous Mike.gif (3 MB, 320x230) Image search: [Google]
You're making me nervous Mike.gif
3 MB, 320x230
>3.973 GPA Political Science major
>171 LSAT
>Getting $105k offers from Penn and Duke
>Only feel anxious
>Job market for lawyers is shit and not getting better

I went all in on this shit. It better work out for me or I'm utterly fucked.
>>
>wasted 2 years at school chasing the STEM meme before i decided it was shit
im only making like 40k a year and I'm 22, but everyone else my age i know is working at walmart or at a restaurant or home depot or something. everyone who went to college isnt doing anything with their degrees. they are either working minwage jobs or doing whatever strange jobs they could get that pay like, barely more than minwage. Or they go to school and dont know what to do with themselves when they leave, try working and go back. My highschool sweetheart was like, the top of the top of my class. She graduated school with a STEM degree and 4.0 gpa and became an assistant manager at store in a mall and lives at home. now she's going back for her masters because she doesnt know what else to do.

i'm literally making the most out of everyone who graduated from my highschool like 5 years ago and i was the biggest underachiever because I thought it was all bullshit.
>>
>>69846845
Just go into politics. Super easy and your job can't be outsourced.
>>
>>69827360
>>tfw all my friends in liberal arts pull six figures
I believed you up until this part. Try not to be so obvious next time.
>>
>Going for EE degree
>See this thread

Well, that's a little depressing, but at least I like the work so far. Maybe I could go into business for myself making guitar pedals or something.
>>
File: bane meme creep.gif (1003 KB, 230x130) Image search: [Google]
bane meme creep.gif
1003 KB, 230x130
>>69847383
>/pol/lacks becoming genuine politicians

I don't know how to feel about this.
>>
>>69832763
A man needs work or he becomes worthless anon, life itself is work.
>>
File: 1448106336723.jpg (68 KB, 519x519) Image search: [Google]
1448106336723.jpg
68 KB, 519x519
>>69828194
I'm autistic and have a sickly body myself.

It just was never meant to be, my "keep trying" attitude just ended up being pathetic because it was me.
>>
>>69835116

who is this shitty pretty?
>>
>>69827699

80k starting. My left nut. Post image of your paycheck deposit, nigger.
>>
>>69847623
OP is bullshitting. Everyone I know with an EE degree is doing fine.
>>
college is a meme
it's only for normies
>>
File: 1251_Srinivasan-top-us-judge.jpg (13 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
1251_Srinivasan-top-us-judge.jpg
13 KB, 450x299
>>69847383
>can't be outsourced
Just wait.
>>
File: 1442688133587.gif (2 MB, 320x454) Image search: [Google]
1442688133587.gif
2 MB, 320x454
>>69827360
>be me
>4.0 in biochemistry and biology
>tried very, very hard
>direct entry PhD lined up
>grad students tell me not to go to grad school, no good jobs
>apply to pharmacy school last minute
>SWED (dude) and play vidya for 4 years
>accepted $90 000 permanent offer

Looking forward to chilling with my easy money senpai
>>
>>69830890
>2015+1
>falling for the law meme
max kek
>>
File: 1456602723_tradesman[1].png (84 KB, 285x240) Image search: [Google]
1456602723_tradesman[1].png
84 KB, 285x240
>>69827360
>told to go into what's in demand
>went to college at all
You fucked yourself, OP.
>>
>>69827360
Well OP? Still waiting for that timestamp of your degree.
>>
>>69850282
Was to busy wiping my ass with it to notice where I left it
>>
File: 3002fbf.jpg (47 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
3002fbf.jpg
47 KB, 506x337
>be me
>PhD in mathematics
>get any job I want
>300k starting

Step up plebeians
>>
>Physician Assistant degree almost over
>Literally every town/city in the nation needs a lot of Physician Assistants in their hospitals
>only 2 years of post grad
Glad i switched from getting a PharmD to this
>>
File: disdainful don.jpg (10 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
disdainful don.jpg
10 KB, 380x285
>>69851875
>mathematics
>thinking math exceptionalism/deification isn't a meme
>australia
>>
>>69830890
>STEM is not just boring, it also provides no job security (all of those jobs are going to India and China soon)
Which why I hated boomers with a passion that could give life to a dying star.
>>
>>69835956
>>TFW an actual Indian guy tells me that Indians are taking all the jobs and undercutting not only the native population, but they are undercutting OTHER Poo Loos for work.
I thought I was the other only one.
I was drunk in a bar and he was mocking me. My response was fuck off we're full.
>>
>>69827360
>be burger
>get paid by government to live with coons and learn a trade
>get cdl and make $25/hr starting as apprentice lineman
>make $40/hr now that I have my journeyman ticket

Feels good man.
>>
>>69830890
Going to law school in 2016, eh? Have fun with that, you seem really bright! :^)
>>
whats does pol think about mechanical engineering?
>>
>>69830890
I'd say you're doing good only because you got a full ride. For anons interested in doing this because of the money I have a cousin that went to law school and she now owes over 200k in student loans.
>>
>>69830890

You're full of shit. You only make 145k/year after many years of practicing or you were born into a law family. Your best hope of making money as a lawyer is joining a firm and they don't just take no-name college grads.
>>
>>69827360
>Became an apprentice Machinist when I was 16
>Make 70k a year and no college debt at 29 as a supervisor in a machine shop

you faggots all fell for the college meme
>>
Nobody is making good money anymore, unless your daddy has the inside track everyone is downsizing and the labor surplus is at an all time high
>>
>>69827360
> be me
> cell bio degree at local uni
> get into Med school
> make 260/ hr as an Emergency doc at a level 2 trauma center

Getting ass raped by Comifornia taxes tho
>>
>>69856044
Dont trauma docs get pretty ass hours though? Or is it like 12 hours a day for a week for one week, then the next week off?
>>
File: leslie.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
leslie.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
All of you undergrads in this thread are giving me serious nostalgia from my college years back when I believed the bullshit of "If I did study this, I'll make the same amount of money everybody else in this field is!"

Please graduate and find a job before you start posting your undergrad pipedreams
>>
>>69827699
Hi Tyscorp.
>>
File: crying seal.jpg (277 KB, 1050x703) Image search: [Google]
crying seal.jpg
277 KB, 1050x703
>went to trade school
>oil crash happens
>spend 6 months unemployed until I finally got some shitty labour job

I hate my life and myself
>>
>>69855463

MechE here, don't fucking do it.

it was cool in the year 1800, up until ~1970.

now, it's only doing cuckwork for the programmers, PhD scientists and Government.

do software or sales.
>>
File: 1441456315784.gif (387 KB, 269x270) Image search: [Google]
1441456315784.gif
387 KB, 269x270
>>69847922
>the main /pol/ack politician's slogan: "Let's make things 'happen."

Kek we're doomed
>>
Majored in interactive media for my IT bachelors, past three years only had two, one year contracts and a year in which I couldn't find shit. All the poo in da loos are taking the work in my field. I'm thinking if going back to study IT security through a grad diploma. At least then I'll have a year before I'll forced to do government sanctioned slave labor work for the dole.
>>
File: image.axd.jpg (24 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
image.axd.jpg
24 KB, 400x267
>physics bs
>math ms
>math phd
>literally any job i want
>300k starting
>>
>>69855785
I'll graduate with 20k in debt total from a good school. I've already put away the majority of that. If you get a good deal or scholarship its a great way to make a living but it's not for everyone there's no doubt. If I was better in math etc. I'd be doing something else but I play to my strengths.
>>
File: 1411534831437.jpg (97 KB, 809x808) Image search: [Google]
1411534831437.jpg
97 KB, 809x808
>stem degree
>didn't experience in college
>all jobs want experience
>not in school anymore so no internships
>now looking into night security jobs
>>
>>69857522

/thread
>>
>be me
>wanna join Marines outta high school because fuck it
>parents threaten to disown me if I do because they're libshits
>"mom, dad, I'm just gonna get a bullshit degree that I'll never use if you send me to college"
>they send me to college
>major in history
>mom and dad, plus everyone else: "LOL what are you gonna do with that degree, hmm?"
>work at shit office job 4 months after graduation job search gives me no job
>literally only get the job because friend gave it to me
>quit after 11 months because office job sucks
>start grad school in history
>hate grad school
>program sucks and my advisor is a huge cunt
>either going to drop out of grad school now or finish it just barely to get the stupid degree

I'm gonna just join the military. fuck academia. holy shit I've never encountered such a circlejerk in my life.
>>
>>69827360
>brother majored in EE
>got a $70k job with good benefits after 6 months of looking
sounds like you fucked up op
>>
>>69827360
EE= Electronics engineer?
>>
File: systemsanalysts.png (229 KB, 983x681) Image search: [Google]
systemsanalysts.png
229 KB, 983x681
Is it 'demeaning' for an electrical engineer to work in IT? Seems like you'd go well in a networking job since you know the underpinnings of what's going on. Likewise wouldn't you make a good systems analyst? Both of those jobs have a shitton of job postings.
>>
>>69827360
>be me
>be mechanical engineer
>literally crash my car into a job 5 days after graduating
I know this is bait, but come on!
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>>69827360

This is some weird forced meme

it's the 4th thread I've seen in 10 minutes trying to shill the idea that having a math and science degree is bad.
>>
I've heard alot about computer engineering and CS, EE etc. What about Civil engineering? I'm graduating next year and just now wondering what the job market looks like.
>>
>>69859141
Personally, it's better than the fucking STEAM meme.

>>69859274
You are fucked and will be made to build shitty roads for the rest of your life. Also, your wife will be a moose, but she'll be very nice, caring, and oddly literate.
>>
>>69859141
he's probably a stem major wanting to discourage competition

t. biochemistry phd
>>
>>69859345
As long as I can add slight banks to the roads for hektik skidz i'll be happy
>>
I'm a physician assistant major. How did I do /pol/?
>>
>>69859729
Well, the fact you apparently don't mind fucking a moose for the rest of your life tells me you are actually canadian.

>>69859826
Terrible, you should go and malpractice someone to death.
>>
>>69859826
Ya did fine, whats your job outlook like?

t. 1st year in PA school
>>
File: 1428624290699.jpg (21 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1428624290699.jpg
21 KB, 429x410
>tfw urban and regional planning degree
>tfw every single fucking consultancy i've worked with pro bono/for experience is non-stop complaining about being so busy and not having time for anything
>this is like 6 different consultancies
>not a single firm is hiring

fuck these ungrateful boomer cunts to death
>>
>>69833204
Basically nonexistent
>>
>>69859826
>>69859979
Some lady I met on a plane tried to set me up with her daughter who just graduated PA school. Through small talk with the Mom I learned PA school got her daughter 100K in debt. Maybe that's not a big deal with good pay, but seems exorbitant.
>>
>>69860088
>tfw considering masters in urban planning

nevermind that i guess
>>
>went STEM
>Chemical Engineering
>Intern and shit get a 3.5 GPA
>Employed a month after graduation
>Work full time get paid 100k a year not counting bonuses
>feels good man
>>
>>69860179
That's what happens when you go to some private school
got to a public school and you'll be fine. it's only 2 years
>>
>studying geography
>like 9 hours of lectures a week and a few bits of coursework
>spend rest of time getting drunk, shitposting on /pol/ reading
>interned at top investment bank
>got a ton of graduate job offers

The thing is I might turn them all down and do TEFL instead. I dunno how you guys can't find a job, just don't be autistic for 30 mins in the interview and attend a decent Uni
>>
>>69860283
You either went to a school with high grade inflation, or you're just naturally very smart to achieve that GPA in that degree, in which case you would have been successful no matter what you went into.
>>
>>69860231
i've been wanting to go on for a masters for a long time, but i want more experience first.

that said, i'm beginning to think masters' are really only for people who intend to come back and teach planning theory in academia

marcus aurelius said "men exist for the sake of one another. teach them then or bear with them," but i don't feel as if the university setting is the best context to be teaching planning theory, considering practitioners and academics are like yin and yang.
>>
File: destinyisland.jpg (592 KB, 1550x1200) Image search: [Google]
destinyisland.jpg
592 KB, 1550x1200
>>69833980
hello me
>>
>>69860088
>get a degree that only governments care about because building your own city, or planning your own neighborhood is esentially illegal or inconvinient
>is surprised when said business is run like if it were some sort of mafia where only people in the know get hired
You fucked up.

>>69833204
There are 6 or 12 months crash courses in programming. Invest a bit more time and actually get the skills necessary for it.

>>69860505
Generally speaking, Master's are a waste of time. Do a doctorate so you have wave it and get grants for research or don't bother.
>>
>>69858714
I have never heard anyone get a degree in history and be happy about it.
>>
>>69827360
>>tfw all my friends in liberal arts pull six figures

with what jobs?
>>
>>69860545
>only governments care about
>some sort of mafia

lol what
>>
Ultimately it depends on where you live. If you graduate with a computer engineering degree where the economy is exclusively oil based, you're going to be fucked unless you were at the top of the class.
>>
>>69860411
>attend a decent uni
>internships unrelated to your degree
You're obviously privileged with same connections, probably though family and frat. Like those Duke rape case kids who got jobs on Wall Street with zero experience simply because of their parents. The U.S. seems to no longer be a meritocracy but instead corrupt and nepotist.
>>
>>69860693
>tfw petro Eng
>giving out small loans of a million dollars to investees
>making it rain oil
>oil champagne
>hoes throwing themselves at me
That's how I imagine PE is like
>>
>>69858996
Can anyone answer this? Also, why don't IT jobs get more praise? Even lowly Help Desk pays decent is relation to the training required.
>>
>>69860614
probably used the degree to get a professional graduate one such as medicine or law. If you knew everything about music theory and are good at it and could play an instrument very well, you can easily get a very high GPA.
>>
>>69827942

>degree in engineering
>lifetime of debt racked up
>just to "put food on the table"

Damn son, baby-boomers never had it so good
>>
File: 1458055604575.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458055604575.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>69858714
I remember I got a B in some class in high school and my mom screamed my ear "ANON, ARE YOU GOING TO GO TO (LOCAL COLLEGE) YOU'RE GONNA BE A LOSER!". So I straightened up, got straight A's and studied history at the "prestigious" university. Now 4 years later, no jobs, and I'm going back to that local college.

She's dead now though so I don't feel ashamed anymore.

;_;
>>
>>69860855
I mean, with a music degree.
>>
Guys, I'm 24 and haven't done shit. Learn a trade or go back to school?
>>
>>69860914
>studied history
there's your problem
>>
>>69856197
I'm an ER doc not a trauma surgeon. I work 36 hrs a week and make the same as a Trauma surgeon who works 65 hrs a week.
>>
>>69828696

>need 5 years experiece
>college degree
>strong math or programming skills
>$10/hr
>"Why can't we find anybody?"
>"They must not want to work"
>>
>>69861142
shit, what degrees did you get? what kinda schools?
>>
>>69860286
PA isn't 2 years you twat it's a master's degree program
>>
>>69860914
>prestigious college
>falling for the prestige Jew
Literally it doesn't matter as long as you don't go to a community college.
>>
>>69830378

believe that shit bro, there are no jobs because H1-B visas are needed to keep operational costs (read wages) down

can't give these college faggots income and mobility, they'll use it against us
>>
>>69861082
Yep, only realized it in 3rd year though...

Can't decide between taking mining engineering starting in september or EE starting in January. I'm gonna go to the college and check it out this weekend at their open house.
>>
>>69830744

they're asking you to please send them a piece of paper they can throw in the trash. they need/want debt slaves to do their bidding

oh yeah, and, seriously
>>
File: 1459469826575s.jpg (6 KB, 125x122) Image search: [Google]
1459469826575s.jpg
6 KB, 125x122
>>69827360
Yeah, you are full of shit.
>>
>>69861225
PA school is two years
>>
>>69834490
Can you give me more details on what you were doing? I'm going to the MEPS soon and was planning on going into the AF for IT(cyber security)
>>
EE or nursing?
>>
You guys, what is the best (I.E. Highest wages and skill universability) double major out of these 4 majors?

Compsci, Compeng, SoftEng, and ElecEng
>>
>>69861264
True, but there was no reasoning with my poor AF parents from poortugal.

>>69861194
At least she left me enough money to go back to college without working my ass off this time. And now I don't have 50 portuguese cousins screaming down my neck about life because I've lost contact with them after she died.

Still though...
>>
> working for a wage

doesn't matter how much you wageslaves make a year its what YOU DO with your money

> high CS salary -> real estate investments master race
>>
>>69831472

>92k
>shitty

somebody's spoiled
>>
>>69827360
things that have never happened ever, for 100 alex
>>
>>69827699
>go to school for computer science
>junior year
>start looking for internships
>go around to some local startups
>get a call back from the biggest and best paying one
>ask the boss if they are hiring interns
>he says no
>thank him for his time
>says he is hiring employees and asks me when I can start
>55k a year not even finished with degree yet

nice life
>>
>>69861526
CS = software eng and are both god tier right now

CE is trash you arent good at EE or CS
EE is even worse
>>
>>69861479
Following your undergrad, yes.
>>
>>69861892
except every PA program wants 1000+ paid hours of experience. GL going to PA school right after undergrad
>>
>>69827699
Computers man, that shit'll get you everywhere nowadays.
>>
Anyone know what kind of jobs are available to you if you're fluent in Mandarin?

I'm studying it just for fun but I haven't really looked into what jobs I could actually get if I managed to achieve fluency
>>
>>69827360
Good god you must be a complete autist to not get anything with that. Considering you called it the "STEM meme", I'm probably right.
>>
Guys if you can't find a job try to get one of those professional certificates in your field. Many employers won't even look at resumes without a cert.
>>
>>69827360

It has nothing to do with the field you've studied and everything to do with the social connections you were born into. Nepotism, my friend, is absolutely central to success.

t. poor kid who went to university with rich people and perform better but have a worse job.
>>
>>69827360
>listening to your parents

You deserve it.
>>
>>69828696
>need 10 years experience
>PhD in Math and CS
>$8/hr
>Why doesnt anybody want to work for us?!
>Gotta prep up those H1-B Visas
>>
>>69832130

>see now that you have the education
>now we can use your lack of experience
>as the sole reason not to pay you what you're worth
>i'ma keep moving these goal-posts
>just jump through the hoops, boy
>>
>>69860611
I was happy with my undergrad
I fucking hate grad school, though. It's one giant circlejerk and obsessing more over historiography than writing actual history.

>>69860914
I'm sorry, anon. We'll be together when we go.
>>
>>69833143

>Is shilling for liberal arts a thing now?

I think so. This is like the third time I've seen this meme today. Some entity is pushing for more college failures.
>>
>be CS/CE major with business + math minor
>21 and have masters cause of Dual Enrollment in HS, plus my local college had a plan to get your masters and bachelors a year early
>never doubted myself because I was prepared for colleges from HS unlike regular HS students
>Could become an Adjunct Prof and teach while I earn my PhD
>could get job for 100k starting salary and save up a few thousand grand over a few years and start a software company with my bro who's a business major, and his best friend who is a CS major
And this is how I know OP's story is shit
>>
>pharmabro
>started early because I spam college credits at cheap community college, so graduated early compared to my stupid code monkey friends who don't know this and go straight to uni for 4 yrs while I only 2
>parents are doctors pharma school gets insta paid
>95k starting
>work at hospital / free food at cafeteria
>make drugs
>secretly make illegal drugs
>distribute in Mexico
>sell Rxs
>literally rich now
>almost more than six figs
>can run away because I'm a legal drug dealer

>meanwhile coding monkeys sit there all day in their tiny office space being risked of getting kicked out by poo in loos and ching chongs who can perform better than them and memorize some code stuff no one cares about.

FEELS GOOD MAN
>>
Shouldve joined a frat or some other organization and held a position to show that you're, "well rounded."
>>
>>69832763

>you drank the kool-aid we've poured in your cup since birth
>sucker
>>
File: 1458147063836.jpg (30 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
1458147063836.jpg
30 KB, 992x744
>>69827360
STEM is tantamount to admitting coming from Reddit.
>>
>>69861789
>god tier
>increasingly outsourced to poo in loo

pick one. at least most people still recognize that EE done right requires talent. much harder to fake with nonstop google searches.
>>
Here's a tip from someone who fell into the STEM meme like most of my generation. Had I gone with business I would have been making much more money at a younger age. If all you want is to make money, business school is your best bet. Granted you need to be vicious but business schools usually have the best entrepreneurship enviroment to make cash. Problem with STEM schools is that they are training employees, not bosses. And while right now people in STEM earn good money, the amount of work needed to have a degree let alone work in STEM is not work the salary. People with Business and Marketing degrees or even less take 90% of the money in tech companies. STEM workers are grunts in said companies and are paid peanuts in comparison.
>>
File: image.png (40 KB, 1022x375) Image search: [Google]
image.png
40 KB, 1022x375
>>69861789
So basically, what's the best pairing if I'm good and if I'm bad at everything

I'm thinking of doing either CE with CS cause overlapping courses = less work needed to complete degree, but I also want to do SE with EE cause I heard it's more rigorous and looks better on a resume
>>
>>69862582

EECS is the best combination. That's what EECS is an all-encompassing major at the top universities.
>>
>>69862050
Esp if you're in IT/programming.
>>
>>69858714
OFFICER
F
F
I
C
E
R
>>
>>69831886

The real reason for the push for STEM degrees is to lower the cost of STEM workers. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>69862502
>poo in loos going for computers

HAHAHAHAHA
Idiot, the poo in Loos are going for medical and maths, not computers
>>
>>69862530
lad, although I'm a Pharmabro I liked business too but many people discouraged me from taking it because basically: "muhh you can learn this shiz without paying for business school it's basically social skills". Which made sense, so I didn't take it and I'm making already six figs straight out of graduation. What do you have to say about that?
>>
>>69827360
>>69827699
>EE & CS
>Implying they have any job prospect in Australia

Kek
>>
>Be welder
>Complete dipshit
>40k/year to mostly bullshit with friends
Eh, its a living
>>
>>69862687
Hmm. Thanks.
>>
>>69834770
I'm sorry friend. I don't have any advice but I'll be thinking of you. Hope you feel better
>>
>>69862530
Business graduatea have less chance of getting employed statistically.
>>
>>69862869
>implying irrelevant implications
I'm a burgerbro man
>>
>>69827360
>liberal arts pulling six figures

wow, you guys really value your mc donalds workers
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>>69862300
I respectfully do not believe you.
>>
>>69836505
>Serbia

Check the flag, of course it's illegal on the 1st world.
>>
>>69862402
Saying this is tantamount to admitting you're a faggot.
>>
>>69862889
>40k
I made that much of money by being a sales assistant at Vodafone store
>>
>>69858926
Electrical Engineer. I feel like he fell for the shit-tier engineer meme more so than the STEM meme.
>>
>>69862582
if you're going to double major pick an unrelated major that will help you stand out, don't just reinforce the same shit

applied stats + CS
finance + CS
>>
>>69863071
I'd probably kill myself if I had to work with customers. The nice thing about my job is that no one bothers me so long as I get my shit done
>>
>>69862687
I JUST REALIZED EE IS EVERYTHING HARDWARE
I COULD LITERALLY BE GOD WITH A CS+EE DEGREE
>>
>>69862998
Pretty much same across the Anglosphere, too many EE graduates come out of universities and only very few companies offer jobs to inexpensive elect engineers.
>>
>>69863124
EE and CS are completely different.

Why don't you download some RAM, Johnny?

Anyways I'm planning on a free maths minor plus a business minor if I work extra
>>
>tfw EE degree and got hired before I graduated
>>
>>69827699
idk, i see computers science neets or underemployed all the time.
>>
>>69863317
>implying EE majors have NO jobs
Probably not advertising your resume hard enough
>>
>>69862530
That's why I'll probably just balance my MSCE with a part time MBA.
>>
>>69863481
Those are probably the shitheads who have no interest in their major, I.E. Can't fizzbuzz
>>
Non-STEMs have literally fucked up their lives for being lazy fucks and choosing easy majors. Although I laugh at these people I also have to feel sad for them because they won't be employed. We live in a TECHNOLOGICAL age folks. If you don't major in STEM you are absolutely fucked. Even if you do find a job it won't be a long term career, whatever job you do get will be automated within your lifetime.

t. 3rd year Chemical Engineering student
>>
>>69838786
Right in the feels, Anon. My father-in-law is the chair of his Mathematics department at a university in Europe. He's way past typical retirement age yet he loves to still stay working - I don't think he'll ever retire unless the uni forces him to. I've seen how much he seems to love just getting lost in his own world of work, of which I can't even follow the headings/summaries of (and I was decent at math in university). He really doesn't seem to do it for the money at all - I think he's happy just as long as his wife makes him food and he has a place to sleep at night. Really fucking inspirational. I want my young son to grow up seeing how cool his grandfather is. And get a good example from me, too.
>>
>>69854484
>calls out a meme
>gets memed in the process

first week, le weedman?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.