[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Huxley vs. Orwell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 610x349) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 610x349
Which of these two dystopian writers depicted the more likely future scenario? Or is it some sort of combination of the two?
>>
>>69748946
rand
>>
>>69748946
Orwell is happening today
Huxley is still a few decades away
>>
>>69748946
Huxley predicted what is happening right now, Orwell predicted what will happen after this.
>>
>>69749133
>>69749174
which one is it lads
>>
>>69749174
This
>>
Both
The US has Guantanamo and a Starbucks on every street corner.
>>
Huxley is happening right now in Peru.
>>
both are happening right now, just like Orwell wrote, children have been indoctrinated by the government and turn on everyone, even their parents to the thought police, and on top of that traditionalism is dying in favor of what will ultimately become the new living standard, accept your fate since birth then die, just like Huxley stated
>>
>>69749174
this desu
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
the most disturbing part about brave new world is that the savage john just fucking kills himself

god

can a nigga get a good ending???
>>
Huxley is America right now.
Orwell is Britain right now.
>>
>>69749400
Dubs are truth. The biggest thing orwell nailed was people not trusting the opposite sex and others (3rd wave and MGTOW) along with Newspeak (Mansplaining and anything else that is spawned from tumblr)
>>
>>69749515
1984 is worse ending because nothing changes. If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
>>
File: 11-ayn-rand.w529.h529.2x.jpg (55 KB, 1058x1058) Image search: [Google]
11-ayn-rand.w529.h529.2x.jpg
55 KB, 1058x1058
>>69749008
This actually.

Much as she's shat upon, Ayn Rand did predict people opting out of the social contract. Birthrates are plummeting, people are living life for themselves, etc.
>>
>>69748946
>i feel it's more "brave new world"
>i dont know, the idea of "attracting more flies with sugar"
>being overly pacified/overmedicated constantly
>>
I would much rather prefer a huxleyan world to an Orwellian

Literally forced happiness is way better tha muh doooblespeek
>>
>>69749515
Both of the endings are sad. Winston is a shell of his former self at the end. It goes to show that in the end humanity will lose.
>>
>>69749782

to be fair, Huxleys version takes place long after the kikes won and everything stabilized, in Orwell's book things are still rather unstable
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
i would prefer if these books were never written

for it is they who gave the elites these nefarious ideals.
>>
>>69749922

But he was happy.
>>
>>69749906
>happiness
More like pacification.
>>
>>69749888
>trips
>fuck ya
>>
>>69750028
I wouldn't consider a good type of happiness. Just a brainwashed pile of mush.
I always thought that 1984 will be the near future and Brave New World will be the world in 300 years or so.
>>
>>69749930
Well your fucking wrong. 1984 has three different ruling regions that are "different" but all in bed with each other to make the world seem unstable and justify war. And one of the leaders name is Goldstein, who worked with "Big Brother" before the government was put up.
>>
>more likely

You're living in the Brave New World right this second.

You're too busy looking for Big Brother to notice.
>>
>>69750027
They also are presented to most high schoolers as dystopian literature. So it's probably in the back of many people's minds, even some bluepills.
>>
>>69750436

That's not what I said.

In 1984 the government still has to fight it's own people to keep everything under control, from the media to facts themselves. It contrasts Huxley's futurama because in his everyone is born from the system and indoctrinated since birth.
>>
>>69750641
Used to be, honestly haven't met anyone under 24 that had either for required reading
>>
>>69750993
Brave new world was required reading my senior ap literature class.
>>
>>69750913
Alright I agree with you on that then. I wish there was a second 1984 written when newspeak was the norm. I wonder if that would stop all forms of opposition from the people.
>>
>>69750993
1984 was required in my senior English class. My teacher was redpilled.
>>
>>69751318
AP and thank God but for DE MD and PA General to honors nada
>>
1984 really was a reflection of Orwell's uneasiness about fascism and communism. To him modern life seemed to always be driving people to those kinds of authoritarian governments. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union though social scientists have basically agreed that liberal democracy is the final word on how to run society, and that this was based on people's apparent universal desire to live under it more than any other system. This acknowledgement, that the concent of the public was necessary for society to be stable, is what makes our present society more resemble Huxley's vision.
>>
>>69751508
What state out of curiosity? And that must have been an awesome class
>>
>>69748946
Jesus fucking christ. Are you all fourteen?

These books are shit for teenagers. Can't you even pretend to actually read?
>>
>>69751968
Literally who?
>>
>>69749888
brave new worlds a more realistic scenario, with 1984 if you oppress people they will rebel, but with BNW they have no idea they are suffering
>>
>>69751968
Most of pol has read them that's why they are easy to discuss. If you want to suggest other books I'm all ears.
>>
>>69750436
Bad goy!

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/week-s-end/was-orwell-an-anti-semite-1.455763?v=BFE501D5F954C2ACA80F0475B9968C39
>>
>>69751849
Calling us a liberal democracy is a broad stretch. We are unwittingly, I feel, in the seeding point of 1984, when our speech is having mental barriers around it. Why supporting a candidate outside this narrative is almost social suicide ( I know firsthand, but haven't worn my hat around campus). People seem not to be affraid of broad reaching around campus yet. I have triggered an entire room of students by admitting trump support.
>>
Neither.
>>
>>69748946
You really should read Brave New World OP.
In the book, there was a past movement of people referred to as "culture fans" who would try and preserve history, arts, cultures, movies books, museums, etc that were clamped down upon and killed, if this is any indication, the past was similar to Orwells nightmare and the Brave New World was just an evolution.

You should also read Neil Postmans "Amusing ourselves to death" which that comic is based from.
>>
A combination of both is likely, both systems have more in common than you think
But in today's world, the west resembles BNW while the east resembles 1984
>>
>>69751968
I don't know of many teenagers who have actually read either of them. But please explain to me what we should be reading--oh great one.
>>
bad goyim!!!!!!!

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/antisemitism/english/e_antib
>>
>>69748946
Does it really matter which one of them is right? What matters is that the things they've said are coming to pass. What matters is what must be done to keep either dystopian futures from happening.
>>
>>69748946
The fact Brave New World was banned from sale and possession in Australia for 5 years, yes it was illegal to own a copy, tells me its a more dangerous book in the governments eyes.
>>
>>69754476

Can Australians even read?
>>
>>69754476
Seriously?
>>
>>69750027
The ideas were around long before the books.
Both BNW and 1984 stand upon the shoulders of others like The Prince. Social Manipulation has always existed it just evolves a step ahead of the masses
>>
>>69754476

Probably because there is a strong similarity between the savages in the book and the Australian abbos
>>
>>69754514
Wot u saying cunt?

>>69754611
Yes seriously around the time of Fascisms rise in Europe the book was banned here.
>>
>>69749827

Kind of like Rand
>>
>>69754719
The savage lived in squallor if I remember rightly and made very good arguments about the architects of the new world banning bows and arrows and spears and being quite angry about it. You may be right Senor Speilbergo
>>
I honestly think it's more Kafka then either of the two.
>>
>>69754773
I don't think anything would make me want to read a book more than if it was banned by the government.
>>
>>69755214
The book of American Psycho is still banned in Queensland.
>inb4 a Queenslander calls bullshit.
Its legit go search it.
>>
>>69755451

Well American Psycho is a shit book that's not worth reading.
>>
>>69748946
More Orwellian than Huxley. The size of government is getting out of hand. Especially if hilary or hernie get elected
>>
>>69755509
all books are worth reading even abysmally written ones by Chuck Phalnick
>>
File: WhiteNiggersofAmerica.jpg (38 KB, 374x580) Image search: [Google]
WhiteNiggersofAmerica.jpg
38 KB, 374x580
>>69755451
Pic related one of the few books banned here in cuckland
>>
>>69755886

Haha, no. Also if you're going to try to tell me that Fight Club 2 is worth reading then I have a bridge I want to sell you.
>>
>>69755939
Wasn't a Dr Suess book banned in Russia or China?

>>69756115
Emergent level readers need content too
>>
>>69755661
>government that literally manufactures its own citizens
>not an example of big government
>>
>>69749174
Common Core is already 1984 tier. Reality is a combination of the two.
>>
File: 1454875663994.jpg (793 KB, 610x4869) Image search: [Google]
1454875663994.jpg
793 KB, 610x4869
>>
>>69750436
Goldstein is supposed to be Trotsky, Orwell likes him.
>>
>>69748946
What if these two forms of society, combined with liberalism/ libertarianism form a cycle?

Authoritarian regime -> revolution for liberalism -> decadence and ignorance-> authoritarian regime ad infinitum
>>
>>69756856
Where Huxley is wrong however is he overestimates people's vapidness.

This really shows with science. Since the internet's inception scientific research and papers have exploded in number, in fact the exponential growth of discoveries over the last 100 years has eclipsed our entire human history.
These tasks are not self serving by nature but benefit humanity on the whole.

This is the hole in Huxley's argument where we all end up overfeed stupified battery hens, there is still a lot of societal contributions coming from all levels of society.
>>
>>69748946
Huxley depicted what people would want the world to be like, Orwell depicted what that desire would bring the world to.
>>
>>69757184
"What characterizes modern life is the failure of all traditional immortality ideologies to absorb man's hunger for self-perpetuation and heroism. Neurosis is today a widespread problem because of the disappearance of convincing dramas of heroic apotheosis of man." -Becker
>>
>>69757184

Those are a minority of overall people, and they are the ones that will build the systems in Brave New World such as the breeding program.
>>
>>69749174
>common core
>the redefinition and censorship of words-literal newspeak
>PRISM and the patriot act and other cunts equivalents
>thought crime in the united caliphate
>eternal faceless enemy used to justify government control

How is orwell not happening now?
>>
>>69750993

Had to read it freshman or sophomore year
>>
>>69749174

Decanted birth and public sex are not normative yet. They exist, but is not the norm.

However, neither is the idea of there only possibly (or not at all) being 3 seperate groups of people or just 1 and being lied to. Orwell never specified if there was indeed three cultures at war. For all intensive purposes, he like intended to make it so that it looked like the inner party was lying about there even being another culture, let alone one they were "at war with".
Our antidepressants aren't forced, yet..but a lot of people do take them.

Many of the issues are in their infant stage. Such as public expression of hatred of Big Brother. We do not have 100% freedom of speech, that is.
There's more in common with 1984 and today, than there is A Brave New World and today.

I'd go with Orwell first, and. Huxley in the future.

The concept of family persists, but only sparingly in 1984. However, the concept of family has all but been eradicated and further reduced to separation between the two factions (giving natural birth, decantation) in BNW. The dropping birth rates are pointing to some drastic necessary measures needing to be taken. What's the quickest way? Apparently it's to relocate hopefuly parents to a place that is eceonomically advantageous. is also in its infant stage. What is the most sure way to ensure birth rates, according to BNW? Make them yourself. We have the technology, there are just huge ethical qualms about the whole idea.
>>
>>69748946

Considering that doublethink is the core thought process of who is in charge I would say Orwell was right.
>>
>>69757315
Heroism like happiness really is just a form over overcoming a problem.
Like mentioned in your earlier infographic Huxley himself quotes rationalists fail to recognise mans infinite appetite for distraction.

Well willpower to achieve still exists in a lot of the population modern times are just a 2 count at best. People still achieve things against enormous odds.

This does not happen in Huxley's world as all 'advancement' is contrived.

>>69757387
Like above, things still happen in the world in 2016. Things outside of control of 'x'.

One important theme of BNW is the opposing worlds of the savage and the state. The savage is 100% self reliant. New World no one not even the 1% of the population at the top are self reliant. They still rely on other under them to perform component tasks.
This is important because it strips individuality totally in that world and replaces it with an illusion.

In reality a lot of people globally are still self reliant or have the capacity to do so but it is why we should rightfully be angered by nu-males who can't change a tyre. Brave New World and a world of give me convenience or give me death are the worlds they are letting happen by not taking charge of themselves.
>>
>>69752120
The proles in 1984 were not overly oppressed and were kept occupied and distracted from rebellion, they were evn allowed certain privileges that were just overlooked on purpose but provided a convenient excuse to cancel dissidents.

Things were really bad for the middle class though.

I don't deny that there are elements of BNW but there are also plenty of 1984
>>
>>69756856
Thank you I've been looking for this.
>>
Both valid. Orwell captured the nature of power and propaganda perfectly. Huxley captured the power of entertainment and comfort.
>>
>>69758346

Brilliantly succinct.
>>
>>69749344

What is happening in Peru?
>>
For anyone interested there is an old Russian book worth reading. Its very dated now, but some of the themes really apply to today's non privacy world.

Its called We by Zamyatin
>>
File: Adachi.png (209 KB, 554x838) Image search: [Google]
Adachi.png
209 KB, 554x838
>>69749662

this
>this
this
>this
>>
The scariest thing is the fact that both of them are happening in tandem right now
If it were just one, for example bnw, why would I care about panem et circensus when I literally have nothing else to worry about?
>>
Orwell is much closer to reality. Not to say there aren't vague parables Huxley gets correct, but in terms of actual content he was way off.
>>
>>69757184
come live in california if you think this isnt real
>>
>>69758702
Orwell said, he took We as a model for his own book. Sounds good.
>>
>>69748946
anyone who makes art deserves death
>>
File: 1423838238766.jpg (501 KB, 1056x1080) Image search: [Google]
1423838238766.jpg
501 KB, 1056x1080
>>69749827
>>69749008
rand is just a meme that gets really popular in college. hearing people bring her up in a serious conversation is the equivalent of middle schoolers shamelessly spouting memes at school
>>
>>69761243
Anyone whos not Rand is not worthy of attention
>>
>>69748946
Huxley if you play along with the system, orwell if you dare rebel.
>>
>the only way to change the future is to immediately start changing the present......what are you waiting for?
>>
>>69751968
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
In the USA/Canada: Huxley
In (West) Europe: Orwell
>>
>>69748946
orwell first then huxley
>>
>>69749515
>implying Mustapha Mond was not 100% correct in everything he said
John killed himself because he got btfo so hard
>>
>>69749906
by definition you would prefer the Huxley scenario because you would be engineered from birth to enjoy it
>>
>>69749216
Why not both? The only difference between now and the future is that our subjugation will become a matter of pride rather than a closely guarded secret. The ultimate goal is to create people that are happy to be subservient.
>>
>>69763431
>implying our future overlords want to see us happy
>>
>>69748946

Orwell wasn't trying to predict the future, he was writing an essay on the nature of totalitarianism. The things he described already existed in the Soviet Union.

I think that Huxley was more spot on. People today are not as oppressed as they are being politically apathetic.
>>
>>69748946
They were both right. It's actually a wierd fusion of the two.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.