[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /pol/s opinion on SSRI anti depressant medication? Have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 600x399
What is /pol/s opinion on SSRI anti depressant medication?

Have any of you taken them?

Is it true that most mass shooters in recent American history have been taking SSRIs at the time?
>>
Placebo.
>>
>>69740145
I've taken both SSRI and NDRI anti depressants. NDRIs proved more effective for me but at the end of the day the only thing that got me back on my feet for good was settling into a regular exercise regime and counseling.
>>
I take a brand.

It's called alcohol. It only works for a bit at a time, but I hear that if you can just take enough your liver will kick out and you'll never be sad again.
>>
>>69740243
FPBP
>>
>>69740243
bait
>>
>>69740367
This is my plan. I'm never taking SSRIs
>>
>>69740243
Worse than placebo. Placebos don't have life-ruining side effects, cause addiction, or long-term damage. Psychiatry is a tool of the Jew. Always has been ever since its inception. Originally it was used to silence dissent and find human labrats. Somewhere down the line around the time they started passing out pills instead of chopping up brains, its main purpose became profit. The fact that psychiatry in its current state is considered medicine is disgraceful. At best you can look at it as trial and error. What's worse is that an entire generation is being destroyed by various poisons pushed on the population. By all means, use the system if you want to, but do not let the system use you. Research extensively and never take anything a psychiatrist says at face value.
>>
>>69740243
this x10000000000
>>
>>69740145
Helped me with severe anxiety. But they should be only used short term while you evaluate your life and get it back on track. Exercise, healthy eating, being social and sharing your secrets to your family are the only real solution.
>>
>>69741653
>>69740243

No they are way worse I took lexapro for a week and had the worst panic attacks of my life for the next three months, I felt bloated and nauseous the whole week, and as soon as I stopped because of all the other sides effects I felt 10 times worse, idk what constitutes real depression but I've been this way for about six years now and I've grown to accept it, nothing I do helps, not exercise, hobbies, even tried drinking and smoking weed nothing makes the feeling of general appathy and hatred of myself and the world I live in, guess I'm managing though have a gf, did just get fired though, eh
Tldr: don't
>>
I'm Bipolar type 2 with Schizoeffective disorder. SSRIs, NDRIs, Antipsychotics, Anti seizure medication, mood stabilizers, you name it, I've been on it.

They cause so much damage, it's ridiculous. I was a child who was so bored with school, so I'd fidget and not pay attention. They put me on Ritalin and Dexadrin for ADHD. It didn't help. I was bored of school because I'd had my IQ done, and I was determined to be eligible and capable of advanced placement, skipping grades, etc. My parents never let me. I grew up all through life, instead, on medications, in hospitals, and psych wards, residential treatment facilities, the whole gamut.

As a result, I'm 29, incredibly socially stunted, still act like a child sometimes, still have medicine and therapy, and I can't hold down a job due to what they call "mood episodes" from the Bipolar. I can't hold a relationship, even though I'm married. I was cheated on, lied to, and used most of my life, even in marriage.

To this day, I have to wonder if the medicine was the biggest thing to effect me. It slowed down my thinking, took my creativity, took my drive and energy (most if not all SSRIs make me sleep like crazy), and so much more. Psychology and meds are truly the belly of the beast, designed to fuck you up so terribly, you'll never recover.
>>
File: innocent.jpg (30 KB, 300x454) Image search: [Google]
innocent.jpg
30 KB, 300x454
>>69740145

If you're depressed it just means you need to get closer to God, buddy.
>>
I used to take SSRIs for migraines because they'd reached the point where I was spending more days on opiates than not. They were effective but left me very tired and numb (the point which drove it home for me was when I received some very good news but couldn't react appropriately). Coming off them was cathartic, I spent 2 days in a dark room listening to white noise to dull the pain but haven't had problems with migraines since.
>>
Not a placebo. You should see what happens when some stop taking them

Source: I work in a hospital
>>
>>69742641
Holy fuck are you me? 28 mixed bipolar schizoaffective. My life is exactly the same.
>>
>>69742641
Holy fuck are you me? 28 mixed bipolar schizoaffective. My life is very similar
>>
>>69743059
>>69743109
Was that both your personalities posting?
>>
>>69743059
Maybe I am, but I guess a year older. It fucking sucks, doesn't it? Is your Bipolar rapid cycling?
>>
>>69743139
Lol yes
>>
>>69743139
Yeah sure.
>>
>>69743162
I get episodes but when I do have them I get lots of energy to be so depressed I can't get out out bed
>>
>>69740145
Ive taken antidepressants, I learned that they DO help your mood but are extremelly addictive and if you overdose you get 'the shakes'
>>
>>69742931
Pharmacy here.

I used to think that some of them were bullshit but I had no idea that a gene mutation with an allele is responsible for why there are so many fuck-ups with SSRI's.

Also
>believing bipolar schizos
If you aren't being medicated you really should be.
>>
>>69740145
they fuck up your brain. Some people need them to function though apparently.
look at what ray peat has to say
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/serotonin-depression-aggression.shtml
i think this is the article
>>
Literally a jew in pill form.

Eating healthy and doing sport is the best antidepressant.
>>
HOW ABOUT A DOSE OF MAN THE FUCK YOU LIMP WRISTED LIBERAL FAGGOTS
>>
>>69740145
>most mass shooters in recent American history have been taking SSRIs at the time?

Probably, because most of them who have were probably mentally ill or disturbed already. There's certainly a correlation but by no means do SSRIs actually CAUSE people to snap and shoot up some schools full of 1st graders.
>>
>>69743323
That sucks, and honestly, I'm about the same. When I'm up, I'm really up, but it never lasts because of the cycling. When I'm down, I'm so down, my jaw doesn't even have the energy to move so I can speak.

And my episodes are daily, usually minute to minute, or hour by hour. I hate this shit. Wish they'd cure it.
>>
They don't do much of anything. People claiming that they ruined their lives are drama queen faggots; at worst you have trouble getting a hardon/cumming, feel dizzy sometimes, and overeat. Then you taper off them in a few weeks and you're fine. Wellbutrin works very well for severe catatonic type depression. The only antidepressant I've tried that's ever helped, the rest are garbage.
>>
>>69740145

my dad was suicidal when he was on SSRIs and I told him to stop taking them and just see a talk therapist and now he is doing great

they are a scam to make money for pharmacutical companies and all of america is cucked to fuck and back by them
>>
>>69740145
Taken paxil for like 15 years and it has ruined my life.

If I drink on it I turn psychotic and I've gotten into fights and went to jail several times. It makes me not care enough about things I should care about.

Problem is I can't get off it. I've tried many times.
>>
>>69743355
You guys save my ass. God bless
>>
>>69743495
> psychiatry
> curing anything
>>
>>69740145
Lorazapam and citalopram
>>
Currently taking them. I felt a slight change in my mood the first 1 or 2 weeks, but now I feel no different than I did before I started them. I also wake up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous now.
>>
>>69740145
I'm on Brintellix. Doesn't help my anxiety or exacerbate it, but my depression is gone.
>>
>>69743355
Lamictal and Topamax here. I'm medicated, always have been. Just because we have the disorder doesn't mean it's our fault. :< Pharma-Senpai, pls.
>>
File: 1457573176219.jpg (29 KB, 431x286) Image search: [Google]
1457573176219.jpg
29 KB, 431x286
What about ADD medication /pol/?
I'll be going on vyvanse Monday
>>
>>69742304
>sharing your secrets to your family

I'm so fucking beta I feel like I can't tell my parents anything. Our conversations are rarely worthwhile. I really wish I could man the fuck up, dude. This is one of the biggest things that are holding me back
>>
>>69743433
The correlation is probably there because low serotonin causes aggression.

>>69743526
Short allele mutation, I'm trying to find it but there's data out there on it.

>>69743599
Thanks for being complicit with your meds anon.

>>69743736
What are you on? SSRI's and other antidepressants actually have a super high Vd and it takes 4-8 weeks for the drug to get saturated in your system for optimal effects. There is data coming out suggesting that Ketamine in suboptimal doses could actually provide a near instant response as opposed to the 4-8 weeks of SSRIs and could revolutionize depression treatment.

>>69743792
Hey, as long as you're trying on your meds and take them, that's all you can ask for. Keep fighting bro.

>>69743891
If you actually have ADHD, it'll work. Also FDA approved for binge eating disorder.

If you don't have ADHD, it's going to be like taking speed and you're going to have some problems. Also, expect an increase in BP and pulse rate.
>>
>>69743891
It works good. Dexedrine is better, but 70mg vyvanse is still pretty good. 70 is usually the max they give, but you want to go all the way up because vyvanse is a lot weaker than dexedrine.
>>
SSRI's are the ultimate meme

Take tricyclic antidepressants instead

If you need anti-depressants you mcfucked up
>>
>>69744032
I'm on lexapro for social anxiety and depression.
>>
>>69740145

Mental health is not real.
>>
Jewish mind control pills. If you've got emotional problems take LSD/mushrooms.
>>
>>69740145
jewish tricks. Barely works better than placebo and thats a fact.
>>
>>69744062
TCA's are fucking garbage compared to SSRI's. Literally, less efficacious, shittier side effect profile. Just straight garbage.

If you're looking for an alternate, just go on an SNRI like Duloxetine.

>>69744155
These meds are not going to cure you, they'll help but you need to get yourself over that hump for your depression. Depression is a negative feedback loop regarding dysfunction in your brain. So you need to find the source of your woes, and the drugs can help you get there.
>>
>>69740145
It can cause some people to have permanent numbness in the genitals.

It's called PSSD. It happens to both males and females.

I personally think they belong in a garbage can.
>>
been on all the main ones

prozac / fluoxetine is the only one that genuinely helped, made me feel neutral instead of sad.

all SSRIs give me jaw clenching for some reason though
>>
>>69740145
I'm a mess and I have a pharmacy at home by now, but nothing really helped.
When I feel especially shitty I take seroquel cause it puts me to sleep within 30-60 minutes and the next day I usually don't feel quite as shitty as the day before, but to date it's the best I've found on my trip through all the stuff you get as bipolar patient.
>>
>>69743891
i don't think i have ADD but i am shit at focusing because of depression

vyvanse is great once i actually start working, starting is the hardest part. also it gives me slight euphoria.
>>
ZAP

ZAP
ZAAPP
>>
>>69744688
Loss of focus is actually a side-effect of depression.
>>
>>69740145
Consciousness-altering medication prescribed for existential depression: I hope you can deduce why that's a terrible idea.

Everyone experiences depression. Every single person in the modern "first" world. Why? Because modern life has become infinitely more complex and demanding than our bodies and minds ever evolved to deal with.

What varies is how willing people are to admit to themselves and others that they're depressed. Anti-depressants treat symptoms, not the cause. They alter your brain chemistry to make you feel better for as long as you take them. However, the environmental causes of depression are still there.

You might as well put a bandage on an amputated leg and expect it to grow back.
>>
If you live in the north, I find that vitamin d, big doses 5000 units at a time, help minor depression. Sam E and folate work wonders for your mood. Don't take anti psychotics/depressants unless you are legit cray cray. I was having trouble putting my emotions feelings into words so I left one night and when I came back they put me on risperdone. A living hell is not an apt enough description. Time literally stops and the feelings are incredibly agonizing in the strangest most disconnected way. Do not recommend.
>>
>>69744835
It's not like putting a bandage on an amputated leg and expecting it to grow back, that's like saying that anyone who has had depression is forever scarred by the whole thing.

To use your "everyone experiences depression" scenario, it's more like, when we get sad it's normally like a rainy day. It's raining on you, it's just a shit day, and sometimes, when it rains, it pours.

Well for people with depression, it's not just a rainy day, nor is it "when it rains, it pours". It's like you're in the middle of the jungle during monsoon season and it's been raining every day since Lord knows when. On top of this, the rain water is now up to your chest and you're freaking out because you don't know how to swim. So it's pouring rain, you feel an impending sense of doom because you might drown and life sucks, and you cannot swim away to save your life.

Antidepressant medications basically make the monsoon rains go away. The chest-high rain waters are still there and you can't swim, but you have the strength and fortitude to try to get to high ground and learn to swim so you can handle some rain.
>>
I think the corrupt campaign against LSD played a large role in this: If the therapeutic value of LSD and related drugs (e.g., methysergide) with expired patents,*note2 used as antiserotonin agents, became widely known, the existing system of power and profit would be threatened. The war on drugs has always had its ulterior motives,including justifying domestic and foreign interventions in issues that have nothing to do with drugs. And in the case of the serotonin/antiserotonin mythology, this “war” has been rewarding to the drug industry--Lilly makes over $2 billion annually on Prozac. Each suicide caused by Prozac would appear to be balanced by several hundred thousand dollars earned by the corporation. If the war on drugs were serious, this would be a good place to start. And in weighing what corporate punishments might be appropriate, this corporation’s financial support for universal capital punishment should be taken into account. Many experiments have shown that estrogen is very important for aggressive behavior in animals, and estrogen promotes serotonin’s actions. Some research shows that increased serotonin is associated with certain types of increased aggressiveness, and antiserotonin agents decrease aggresiveness (Ieni, et al., 1985; McMillen, et al., 1987) but the clearest research has to do with the crucial role of serotonin in learned helplessness. Learned helplessness is a biological condition that is created by inescapable stress. In this state, animals that would normally swim for hours will stop swimming after a few minutes and allow themselves to drown. They simply don’t have enough mental or physical energy to overcome challenges.
>>
I've been on citalopram (10mg) for the last few years. Blog post incoming:
Through out my life, my emotional state was always up and down. Sometimes I was just depressed, a lot of times I was just happy.
After high school I joined the army, did a tour in Iraq, came back, went to college, and was fine for like 8 years.
Then one day, I don't know what happened. The things I did in the army just started bugging me. Before, I could think about a charred kid, bullet ridden combatant, etc. and it just wouldn't bug me. But one day, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and I spiraled out of control. Buddy came over after I didn't talk to him in a while and found me in the corner of my apartment just sobbing.
VA doctor put me on citalopram 20 mg for the first few months and I started talking about my problems.
Honestly, I LIKE being on the SSRI. Before, as I said, my mood was a constant up and down, but on them, I'm always at a state of up. I haven't noticed any ill changes in me. I can still bike 100 miles with ease, still lift heavy objects, still learn (earned my masters in chemistry since being on them). Everything is just good on them.
That's my experience. I see others have had bad experiences though. Maybe try something else?
>>
>>69745440
The problem is genetics and people not knowing that most SSRI's take 4-8 weeks to accumulate in the system and begin to do their work. There are legitimate genetic differences that can cause problems for people and SSRI's. It fucks up metabolism of the drugs and has some unintended side effects. The BBW for increased suicide risk is on antidepressant meds because of this genetic abnormality.
>>
>>69745362
In learned helplessness, the level of serotonin is high, and an excess of serotonin helps to create the state of learned helplessness.

Serotonin activates glycolysis, forming lactic acid. Excess lactic acid tends to decrease efficient energy production by interfering with mitochondrial respiration.

Heart failure, hypertension, muscle hyperalgesia (Babenko, et al., 2000), some panic reactions, and other maladaptive biological events associated with problems of energy metabolism, are promoted by excessive serotonin.

Autistic children and their relatives have high concentrations of serotonin in their serum and platelets. Members of a family tend to eat the same foods and to share other environmental conditions. Prenatal hypothyroidism and various kinds of imprinting, including hyperestrogenism, could account for this. Some studies have reported that thyroid supplements help autistic children, and anti-serotonin drugs have caused improvement in both children and adults.
Serotonin tends to cause hypoglycemia, and hypoglycemia inhibits the conversion of thyroxine into the active T3 hormone. Hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism increase noradrenaline, and autistic people have been found to have more noradrenaline than normal. These changes, along with the general hypometabolism caused by excess serotonin, seem to justify the use of a thyroid supplement in autism and other serotonin-excess syndromes.
>>
>>69744742
Fuck you brain I never asked for this
>>
>>69742641
Fucking shit dude. I grew up in a little Croatia and never even met a kid who was on any kind of medications. We all had our ups and downs, played outside, fought, and chased girls. What else is a healthy boy suppose to do.
Now that I'm in the States everybody has a laundry list of what's wrong with him/her, they speak of 'their' illnesses like a fucking doctor. Mind boggling. Never met so many fucked up individuals like here.
I'm sorry for what happened to you, if you were in a normal country with normal parents they would have never put you on meds but rather just let you grow out of it
>>
>>69740145
I was on them for years, they fucked my stomach up, now I have the shits every day mate, lay off them.
You want a good anti-depressant, try a healthy diet, lots of exercise, fresh air and doing charitably things and if you find yourself dwelling on something go for a walk and clear your head.
The only medication somebody should be on for mental health problems are anti-psychotics for people who would be of risk to themselves or others, this still isn't healthy for them but its safer for them and put an end to padded cells and horrible experimentation techniques.
>>
>>69740145
SSRIs are evil. Never take them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3600x2400
>>69740145
pussy shit
i have gone through soul shattering lows
only to come up and out better
>>
>>69740145
I used to take them when I was in high school and part of college. They make it tougher to get hard and I dunno how much they really helped. Tried to get back on them recently and I dunno how to describe it but I felt off.
>>
I go a free clinic. They give me celexa, buspar, remeron, Seroquel and 2 more meds to handle side effects. I see the doc 5 mins every 2 or 3 months and he ups my dose every time. I guess okay i don't really feel any different.
>>
I was on Sertraline for a 2 year stint. By the end I was a emotionally numb, man-boobied mess who couldn't get his dick up.
>>
Different things work for different people.

I got lucky, depressed and social anxiety disorder most of my life, went on excitoloprolam (ssri) and after a few weeks adjustment I was a better and happier person with no side effects
>>
>>69740243
FIRST POST BEST POST
>>
>>69740145
I used to take lexapro. It helped a bit with anxiety and I lasted forever in bed. Withdrawals sucked though as I kept having these weird "brain zap" things and had a huge mental break down which was fixed through copious amounts of LSD. I'd say only take it if you absolutely cannot bear your current mental state.
>>
>>69745555
Could you elaborate more or post a link to some reading on this? Sounds interesting.
Definitely true it takes a while for them to kick in. I stayed with my mom in the country for about three months before I was ready to go back on my own. You have to have that constant support around you while the medicine takes time to act.
>>
>>69742641
It sounds like you are just fucked up in general tbhfam, smdh
>>
Young Anon here. Depression is destroying me and I have no motivation for anything. Should I risk the pill? Only reason I haven't done so is because of this thread and general lack of motivation to improve.
>>
I started with lexapro, it made me sleep 18 hours a day. Next was paxil, it turned off all emotions and made my sex drive non existent. Cymbalta made my sex drive come back, but it also turned off all sensation to my dick so that wasn't much better.

Finally a different doc gave me desipramine. It's been perfect now, only side effect is getting dizzy when standing up fast.

Just cause a drug is newer doesn't make it better. SSRI's from the 90's are garbage. Tricyclic meds from the 60's actually work better. Docs only push for SSRI cause thats where the money is. Get a doc that cares about you more than his wallet.
>>
>>69740145
Haram.
Also, $hekels
>>
>>69747514
thats what that guyRay Peat who i have been shilling for in this thread says, interesting.
>>
>>69740145
They're shit imo
>>
>>69740145
>SSRI

the few I was on were eh

now
>SNRI
those are good shit that really, really help the anxiety.

welbutrin (bupropion) is nice too. really helps stabilize your moods, and it doesn't have godawful side effects like most mood stabilizers.

>Is it true that most mass shooters in recent American history have been taking SSRIs at the time?

it's probably because they were depressed or had some other minor mental illness and SSRIs are the current standard of care.
>>
>>69744032
here senpai: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9832193

pubmed ftw
>>
>>69746985
It's not as bad as people say. Research depression/ssris or whatever prescription you get first and make sure it's what you want to do. You can stop anytime you want if you don't like it, just talk to your doctor first. You can not stop cold turkey. You'll get horrible side effects, and wait 4-6 weeks before you decide it's not working. They don't kick in fast for anyone
>>
>>69740145
I'm on my 4th one so far. They have all given me horrible side effects. The worst part is how hard it becomes to orgasm. It's basically impossible for me, which is awful since I am used to fapping every day. I'm probably going to stop taking them.
>>
>>69747514
>Tricyclic meds from the 60's actually work better.

smaller therapeutic index, they're more dangerous, patients can OD on them
>>
>>69748383
welbutrin/bupropion can help with sexual side efffects

also, if you're still trying to find something that works, you're on fuckhuge doses which will have worse side effects. once you find something that works for you, than you can lower the dose.
>>
Been diagnosed "Bipolar Type II". Whether it really exists or it's made up to boost the pharma industry idk. I have been told by several people that I probably have bipolar disorder without me even bringing it up. I don't want to take meds every day for the rest of my life but it seems to be my only option unless i just continue living like this. My father definitely has it also... It's embarrassing when people find out you have it.
>>
I'm taking Prozac (Previously Zoloft, but it didn't work quite as well) + a methyfolate supplement
Feels good to be honest, I don't pretty much collapse from exhaustion around 3pm every day, I'm not constipated all the fucking time, and I don't feel like I've just pulled an all-nighter even after waking up from 12 hours of sleep

Granted, I do have a genetic mutation that makes my body shit-tier at producing serotonin, but still Prozac is some nice shit
>>
File: good goyim.png (100 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
good goyim.png
100 KB, 501x585
>>69740145
Good goyim, take the chemical jew. . . I mean medicine, hehe. . . .
>>
Pharmacist here, I sell a lot of this shit and its getting out of control. I have even seen 2 year old's on liquid SSRI probably because mommy is on it.

There are a lot of shit I believe medicine wont help you with even as a pharmacist, it has its limits. There is a lot of money to be made in this business and I feel like these medicines are heavily over prescribed for that reason. I can almost predict what if a young girl comes to my pharmacy she will be on a birth control and anti depressant. Its becoming too normal I feel.

I used to trust little old ladys before but they are some of the most fucked up on meds and crazy people I have seen. I have to deal with addicts on xanax, hydrocodone, adderal, soma, ambien, and of course anti depressants.

But what do I know I'm just a wheel in a cog.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.