[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is psychiatry and the mental health business a scam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: pricing-of-prescription-drugs.jpg (39 KB, 1360x872) Image search: [Google]
pricing-of-prescription-drugs.jpg
39 KB, 1360x872
Are there actually mental illness, like depression and anxiety, that are treatable with pharmaceuticals? Or are these things for good goys?
>>
They wouldn't be effective if the Jews couldn't prove it.

It's better not to get on them if you can help it. But use 2-3 Jews with different degrees if you can, and task them to work out a plan to get off it. If you're young and in "the system" then you won't have to pay for it yourself.
>>
>>69705230
I'm on antidepressants. Had to try a few before i found one that worked, made a big difference. Before that I would have just said scam
>>
>>69705417

Reason I'm asking is I've hit a pretty low point and risk failing out of professional school and the one guy I've seen recommends pills
>>
File: smoke.gif (769 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
smoke.gif
769 KB, 500x282
idk but some of those pills are so good
>>
>>69705521

Ty for your input, britbro
>>
>>69705230
>asks if scientifically proven medicine is a scam

kthxbye
>>
>>69705605
Well we certainly are over medicated but medicine can help. Pills won't magically cure you but they will alleviate some of the worst parts, and make you have the energy or stable enough mood to make the changes needed to get out of depression.
>>
>>69705605
If you're in school then you know that they fly around like candy.

But if you can't make it in school then think about a different school to switch to. Something more in line with what you don't need pills to make you happy doing.
>>
the way I see it is that "MAjor depression disorder" and "anxiety disorder" are just things the doctor has to diagnose you with in order for you to get the drugs you want

is major depression an actual illness you get or have? not really no

will taking the drugs they give you make you feel better? probably not, depends on the drug

I've tried tonnes of them, if they have an effect it's pretty minor. sucks but that's basically life for you

what I found helped with the feeling that I'd be better off dead is opiates. and with the feeling of anxiety/not being comrfortable/racing mind/pounding heart etc, is beta blockers and benzos.

I think venlafaxine possibly has some benefit, I take this. although I only really take it because I'm addicted to it (if I try stop it has massive withdrawals).

basically you're shit out of luck. there isn't any drug that will fundamentally change the problems of life.
>>
>>69705230
Yes most mental illnesses are not real things
They are basicly just humanists calling people heretics
>>
Yes and no.
As a profit turning business, it's a scam and psych meds are totally over prescribed and abused.
With that being said, there are some conditions, some being schizophrenia and depression, that produce real quantifiable changes in the brain anatomy and chemistry.
Just keep in mind, when it comes to pharmacological treatments for psych issues, you're literally trying to regulate what makes you you with chemicals. Expect drastic changes and many unintended side effects and results.
>>
It's probably a scam. I don't see how anyone could be "helped" by this quackery. Even schizophrenia with clear symptoms can't be treated that well by their pre-made medicine unless it just so happens to work perfectly for you which it never does.
>>
>>69705230
Perhaps the pharm. industry is, but depression sure as hell isn't; I'll attest to that.
>>
>>69706357
>mesurable chemical imbalance is not a disease
weeew
>>
I'm on an antidepressant. In particular, I'm on the tricyclic antidepressant nortriptyline. They aren't magic pills. It takes at least a month to start feeling anything and even then they don't cure you of depression. But, your mood will be a bit better and stable, and you'll see an increase in energy, motivation, and so on, that makes it easier to break the habits that fuel depression.
>>
>>69705230
YES.

A friend of mine got prescribed pills and he's not even mad.
While me I'm totally paranoid and never went to see a psychiatrist or took pill and I have more success then him in life.
I work for a 3 letter company, good salary, no one knows I'm crazy... no way to tell...

And I love it. I love being mad.
>>
>>69705230
Being sane in a world of madness is not normal.
>>
>>69705230

My younger brother was on them for a short while. They made a pretty noticeable difference. Once you're out of the rut, stop taking them, 'n you're golden. Everything in moderation.
>>
>>69705230
>Are there actually mental illness, like depression and anxiety, that are treatable with pharmaceuticals? Or are these things for good goys?

Yes, there are. Unfortunately we live in (what I hope is) the tail end of an age that pathologized normal human emotions into mental illnesses.

There's been a war underway in psychiatry and mental health studies for several years now, and the good guys are winning. The balance was tipped when Dr. Allen Frances (chair of the task force that compiled the DSM-IV) became a hostile critic of the DSM V and the slow transformation of normal human emotions into mental illnesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Frances

Right now the strategy seems to be to "starve the beast." The final nail in the coffin, one hopes, was when Thomas Insel, then the head of the National Institute of Mental Health, determined that the group would be "moving away" from reliance upon the DSM and toward a biological understanding of mental health, and no longer funding studies that aimed at what he called "treating symptoms" rather than studying the underlying causes.

You have to read between the lines, but if you are familiar with the issues at stake here, this blog post came off like a missile strike:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/director/2013/transforming-diagnosis.shtml
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.